Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Seshoho Cian posted:

Hang on a second, I got this.

edit:

Yeah, I definitely don't want to play a game where people consider the first play through a "practice run". That's what a tutorial is for, not the whole drat game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FalseShockWorker
Jan 28, 2009
For Wonderful 101, make sure you leave the tutorials on. I struggled in a couple parts because I turned it off and didn't know about certain mechanics (usually in the various vehicle segments). Also, check the "quick help" tab on the gamepad, it explains some of the little details (like the fact that sword can reflect lasers or that fist can absorb fire).

Watching tutorial movies is way too much effort for a videogame, if you're struggling, just drop down to easy and see if you have more fun. I had to when I played DMC3 (I know, not by Platinum, but the same style of game), and it made it a lot more enjoyable. Also, the game gets easier as you get better at it and unlock more options. I had really bad scores on the first couple levels, but by the end of the game I was getting silver or gold most of the time.

Some other random advice:
-Don't be afraid to use items, healing ones don't even hurt your score.
-Use your mix items to make Platinum Cards and use the Cards to buy the best shop items.
-Make sure to use custom blocks, speed charge and unite charge are probably the most important, after that I find hero time and ukemi pretty useful. Hero sense makes things easier, but can be a little annoying.
-You unlock more custom block slots (and attacks) by leveling up wonderful ones. You can switch which wonderful ones you use on the gamepad, which makes it easier to level them all up.

If you still don't enjoy the game, don't worry, it's just a game. It's a really good game, and I like it a lot, but it's not for everyone.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I tried the demo for Wonderful 101 too and am glad that i didn't go for that as my free game.

For some reason the level in the demo just felt like it dragged on for way too long and trying to control the shape of what you summon with the right stick was frustrating to the point where it almost felt like it was designed to be done with the stylus.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fremry posted:

Yeah, I definitely don't want to play a game where people consider the first play through a "practice run". That's what a tutorial is for, not the whole drat game.

That's infographic is really loving awful at its intended goal of helping new players. The first run is only a "practice run" if you're the type of person who wants to get perfect ranks on every mission on the hardest difficulty.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Fremry posted:

You can beat the game, you have unlimited continues. But the game is about you being good at it. It sets a high bar, but has a little baby kiddy bar for your baby hands to hold onto if you really need it.

You baby.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kin posted:

I tried the demo for Wonderful 101 too and am glad that i didn't go for that as my free game.

For some reason the level in the demo just felt like it dragged on for way too long and trying to control the shape of what you summon with the right stick was frustrating to the point where it almost felt like it was designed to be done with the stylus.

It is literally basic fighting game motions. That is something that can seem a little off when you first get it but you're not drawing the lines, you're doing fighting game inputs.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ImpAtom posted:

It is literally basic fighting game motions. That is something that can seem a little off when you first get it but you're not drawing the lines, you're doing fighting game inputs.

I dunno, things like trying to get the circle right to group people up was tricky and i ended up failing the shield grab cutscene thing because i couldn't get the circle just right a few times.

Plus the tutorials were a bit of a mess, i don't think i got how to do the stacked fusion or whatever it was called because there was a pop-up explainign what to do, but it seemed a little complicated and instead of walking me through it, really aggressive bad guys were thrown at me so i just resorted to "make big sword" and whump them because it was the simplest thing to do.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

SeANMcBAY posted:

The level in the demo is better then most of the rest of the game but it's still worth playing if you enjoyed that.

I disagree, the first level in the game is probably one of my least favorite. Probably the only levels that pointlessly throw you around more often are Frozen Factory 1 and Desert Ruins 2.

edit: also like for real I really need your guys' help for questions for the OP

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 29, 2014

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Kin posted:

Plus the tutorials were a bit of a mess, i don't think i got how to do the stacked fusion or whatever it was called because there was a pop-up explainign what to do, but it seemed a little complicated and instead of walking me through it, really aggressive bad guys were thrown at me so i just resorted to "make big sword" and whump them because it was the simplest thing to do.

That's what I did too :v

I think I got to dominate the stacked attacks at around level 3. They are not really necessary, and use up your gauge quite a bit, but when you know you can go all out on a dude just draw a line and press Y instead of X for extra damage.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I loved Bayonetta and I'm really enjoying Wonderful 101 but I still have to admit that it's worse at conveying instructions to you than just about any other Platinum or Clover game I've ever played. The fact that you can go so long without understanding simple things the game wants you to do is a huge mark against it in my opinion. I never had problems like that in Bayonetta, Rising,
or DMC.

That said, it's still a really good, fun game.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Has anyone bought a 2.5mm to 3.5mm convertor plug/cord for a 360 headset and used it on the Wii U? I heard some work and some don't and am trying to find one that will work with my headset.

edit: never mind a friend just let me use an old phone headset.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 29, 2014

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Holy poo poo, Rayman Legends's sense of humor is really out there sometimes (in a good way). I was totally blindsided by the Eye of the Tiger level and died several times from laughing too hard.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I thought Vanquish was a really bland third-person cover shooter by Platinum until someone showed me a video of how it's actually supposed to be played.

If you're going to play Platinum games you either need the patience to sit down and figure it out for yourself or the patience to watch someone else do it the right way and then ask yourself how best to emulate that. If you aren't capable of either one, you probably shouldn't play games made by Platinum!

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Sarchasm posted:

I thought Vanquish was a really bland third-person cover shooter by Platinum until someone showed me a video of how it's actually supposed to be played.
Got a link?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

This isn't direct feed, but I think it's the demo level, which is what a lot of people (indcluding myself) played and said "This is just a Gears of War clone."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEtMLwIRdRY

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Ultigonio posted:

Glad to hear you're still working on this, Ultigonio!

Are you looking for questions specifically about the Wii U system, or the games, or what? There have been some questions from new Wii U owners throughout the thread, and I think those would be good to address. Off the top of my head:

• How do I use an existing Mii/NNID on my Wii U? I remember people asking when thy were porting one over from the 3DS. There's some counter-intuitive step here where you choose to setup a new Mii before you can choose to use an existing one? I don't recall the exact situation but it would be a good thing to address.
  • What games can I play on the gamepad? It's probably better to provide a list of ones you can't, but I think the positivity here should be emphasized because this is really a drat useful feature of the Wii U.
  • What conditions are refurbished models/controller in? In my experience, they are really high quality. Someone posted in the thread they bet refurbished models get recased and such before being sold and I'd believe it (maybe even that theory all the Basic models that got recalled are being upgraded, recased and sold as refurbished models).
  • The Gamepad has a stylus?! It totally does.

I assume you'd be explaining stuff like Club Nintendo, the digital promotion and the Mario Kart 8 deal in other sections, because we definitely want to explain how people can get the best value for their dollar.

Also the Wii U mode / Wii mode split should really be detailed, including things like the VC differences and which controllers can be used, etc.

That's all just what I happened to think of right now. For anybody in the thread that recently bought a Wii U, what questions would it have been helpful to have answers to?

As a side note, do we want to include stuff like "Should I get a Pro Controller?" and other opinion questions? Maybe give a few opinions from different people in the thread?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know how anyone can look at a game like Vanquish, where you have such insane movement capabilities and think to themselves, "I'm just gonna hide behind this waist high wall and plink away at all the robots".

poo poo, even Gears can be played aggressively if you know what you're doing.

Also, I had no trouble with W101's combat system but I do wish Kamiya would make a space shooter already and get it out of his loving system, I am so sick of those sections in all of his drat games.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Alteisen posted:

I don't know how anyone can look at a game like Vanquish, where you have such insane movement capabilities and think to themselves, "I'm just gonna hide behind this waist high wall and plink away at all the robots".

Because Platinum's games are very mechanically subersive and also pretty poorly explained within the game itself?

The Vanquish demo drops you into a game that looks like a common third person shooter so that's how I played it, and I was still able to succeed without the game giving me any feedback or insinuating that there was a better way. I came to love Vanquish, and I think it's probably one of the best shooters of its generation, but Platinum does itself a disservice by not surfacing that stuff better.

Still, I think their games--W101 included--are well worth learning how to play. Unfortunately they ask for either a patient or experimental mindset, and not everyone has that. Every Platinum game should have a series of tutorial missions where they let you accomplish an objective in the "obvious" way--"Here are some chest-high barriers and a machinegun and some enemy robots. How do you solve this problem?"--then call you an idiot and show you the way they intended you to do it.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

This post is dumb, please delete it.

Moriatti fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 29, 2014

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Please let Platinum do Metroid.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I'm sure not too many people in this thread are interested in it but Call of Duty Black Ops 2 is really fun with the Wiimote+nunchuck controls. It's also around $15 at Toys R Us during their big clearance sale.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
If all I want to do is copy Wii game save data from my Wii to my Wii U, can I just copy it to an SD card and skip the transfer process?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Sarchasm posted:

Because Platinum's games are very mechanically subersive and also pretty poorly explained within the game itself?

The Vanquish demo drops you into a game that looks like a common third person shooter so that's how I played it, and I was still able to succeed without the game giving me any feedback or insinuating that there was a better way. I came to love Vanquish, and I think it's probably one of the best shooters of its generation, but Platinum does itself a disservice by not surfacing that stuff better.

Still, I think their games--W101 included--are well worth learning how to play. Unfortunately they ask for either a patient or experimental mindset, and not everyone has that. Every Platinum game should have a series of tutorial missions where they let you accomplish an objective in the "obvious" way--"Here are some chest-high barriers and a machinegun and some enemy robots. How do you solve this problem?"--then call you an idiot and show you the way they intended you to do it.

The weird thing is Vanquish was the one game where they sat down and had you do a [skippable] tutorial that explained alot of basic things, but then let you figure out everything else yourself [they explain that you have a melee button, but never mention the melee is different for every weapon for example].

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sarchasm posted:

And it doesn't occur you to try to experiment a little? :confused:

I'm the furthest thing from some super pro but I usually try what all the buttons and see how I can combine stuff, for example, I recently bought Rayman Legends, did you know if you run, do the dash attack and then jump, you gain more height and clear more ground that you would have if you simply run and jump?

The game didn't tell me this, I just stumbled on it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Alteisen posted:

I'm the furthest thing from some super pro but I usually try what all the buttons and see how I can combine stuff, for example, I recently bought Rayman Legends, did you know if you run, do the dash attack and then jump, you gain more height and clear more ground that you would have if you simply run and jump?

The game didn't tell me this, I just stumbled on it.

That's not even remotely similar. That mechanic in Rayman has basically existed since SMB1. Platinum's games, even when they're not trying to be cryptic, usually have steep learning curves.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

There is a slight difference between "move slightly faster" to "did you know you have to buy your dodge move? yeah it's not very well explained"

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TaurusOxford posted:

That's not even remotely similar. That mechanic in Rayman has basically existed since SMB1. Platinum's games, even when they're not trying to be cryptic, usually have steep learning curves.

Never played Rayman before legends so I wouldn't know, and I'm not talking about huge learning curve, doing AAA combos etc, just simple experimentation is all.

Bayonetta tells you how to do combos in the tutorial, then during loading screens you have a big rear end move list on your right and you can putz around in there and see what comes out, it even points where you need to pause to do some other move.

quote:

There is a slight difference between "move slightly faster" to "did you know you have to buy your dodge move? yeah it's not very well explained"

Thought we where talking Vanquish and W101, not Revengeance.

You do have to buy the block move in W101 though.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Alteisen posted:

No, because what I was doing was working. It wasn't fun, but I chalked that up to the game. That was incorrect, as I would soon discover, but it doesn't change the fact that Vanquish made a very poor first impression on me. And it's not just Vanquish, the problem persists across most of Platinum's library. Otherwise you wouldn't have people making W101 infographics and such.

I think Platinum makes some of the finest games around and that their mechanics are almost always dense and rewarding, but as a studio they need to learn how to communicate these ideas better to the player. Or at least make it so that the game punishes you harder for playing it in obvious and unrewarding ways.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Sarchasm posted:

but as a studio they need to learn how to communicate these ideas better to the player. Or at least make it so that the game punishes you harder for playing it in obvious and unrewarding ways.

Why? Not like their games would sell any better for it.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

To make better games.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JordanKai posted:

To make better games.

Punishing players for playing in unrewarding ways would make for a better game?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Alteisen posted:

Punishing players for playing in unrewarding ways would make for a better game?

No, but properly explaining how to play a game optimally sure does!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

W101 is designed in such a way that small mistakes really compound themselves and are subject to very strong negative reinforcement. I think that psychologically pushes a lot of players into safe tactics rather than pushing them to improve at more daring tactics. The game could have been better-calibrated in that regard.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
This is a really stupid derail, imho :( Anyway, still on the topic of Platinum games and related to the Daisy chat from earlier, apparently she's now more or less confirmed as another bonus Nintendo costume in Bayonetta 1 for the Wii U.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

CatsPajamas posted:

That's all just what I happened to think of right now. For anybody in the thread that recently bought a Wii U, what questions would it have been helpful to have answers to?

When I set up my Wii U, the question that you answer that puts ads on your gamepad was not clear to me (it's still not clear), and I couldn't find the option in settings to turn it off until I googled it. It's under Settings > Power Settings > Quick Start Menu > Wii U GamePad Alerts. Also, if you buy refurbished and redeem coins, you will have 3 Nintendo accounts: 1. store.nintendo to buy the console, 2. NNID to play online/buy virtual games and 3. club.nintendo to redeem your coins.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I really don't get gamers sometimes...if a game explains every last little thing and makes sure you understand how it works before proceeding, then its too handholdy. If a game gives you the basics and then just lets you dick around and discover what all you can do with said basics, then its too obtuse and needs more tutorials.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Ultigonio posted:

I've only recently been following the thread a little, and I'm pretty sure I've already seen 6 or 7 people ask if they can use the Wii U Pro Controller to play Wii games.

And this has been true since the last console, but also it should mention that you can't just copy your SD card over from the Wii to Wii U, you have to use the transfer feature.

edit: I meant to answer / quote this too:

Bass Bottles posted:

If all I want to do is copy Wii game save data from my Wii to my Wii U, can I just copy it to an SD card and skip the transfer process?

Nope. I guess it was intended as some kind of anti-piracy measure. Not that it helped piracy on the Wii.... You've never been able to just copy game saves over, that I know of. When I got my Wii on launch day, it had the Internet / first update bug. Rather than wait 2 weeks for it to be repaired, I chose the option where they sent a replacement and I mailed mine back in. I copied all the save info to my Wii and lost my 6-7 hours of progress in Twilight Princess, Wii Sports stuff, and all of the Miis except the Mii of me that I kept on my Wii Remote.

MaxDuo fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 30, 2014

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

CatsPajamas posted:

Are you looking for questions specifically about the Wii U system, or the games, or what? There have been some questions from new Wii U owners throughout the thread, and I think those would be good to address.
The main thing I want to tackle with the first part of the OP, especially the F.A.Q., is to make things about the system itself more clear. Elaboration on games and game-related topics will be handled heavily in the Games section, but if anyone has really specific game-related questions like that Xenoblade one in the current OP, then those would work as well (they'd just be placed into a different "section" of the F.A.Q.

quote:

What games can I play on the gamepad? It's probably better to provide a list of ones you can't, but I think the positivity here should be emphasized because this is really a drat useful feature of the Wii U.
I'm considering handling this in a way similar to the current OP, with each recommended game (I'm not going to list EVERY SINGLE GAME because there are too many and it'll look super ugly) receiving variation bits of information, including Nintendo Network usage and Gamepad usage. It may be good to have a full list of games that can be played exclusively on the Gamepad, too, so I'll think about that. Question added.

quote:

I assume you'd be explaining stuff like Club Nintendo, the digital promotion and the Mario Kart 8 deal in other sections, because we definitely want to explain how people can get the best value for their dollar.
Yep! The "Ongoing Deals" section will be near the tippy-top of the OP, so anyone who wants to get some bang for their buck won't have to look too far.

quote:

Also the Wii U mode / Wii mode split should really be detailed, including things like the VC differences and which controllers can be used, etc.
Yeah, it made sense to me, but I keep really on top of this stuff. I can see how it would be really overwhelming to someone just getting into it. When I finish the F.A.Q. (or the entire first post), I'll be posting up a draft with LPix so I can get feedback from all of you. Probably the biggest thing I'm gonna' struggle with is properly sectioning off the F.A.Q. into a proper table of contents ("New User Questions," "About the Wii U OS," "Prospective Buyer Questions," etc.).

quote:

As a side note, do we want to include stuff like "Should I get a Pro Controller?" and other opinion questions? Maybe give a few opinions from different people in the thread?
Yeah, that sounds like a good plan. All the other questions I've seen so far, yours and others, have been added. Thanks for your help, guys, and keep 'em coming!

Bass Bottles posted:

Yes, actually - I did this myself for a couple games since I didn't feel like dragging the Wii out. I've noticed that there are a handful of games whose save data, for whatever strange reason, cannot be copied (might be because they utilize specific Mii data, I dunno), but if all you want to do is copy a save of a retail game to your Wii U, you can avoid transferring. That's goin' in the OP!

edit:

MaxDuo posted:

Nope. I guess it was intended as some kind of anti-piracy measure. Not that it helped piracy on the Wii.... You've never been able to just copy game saves over, that I know of. When I got my Wii on launch day, it had the Internet / first update bug. Rather than wait 2 weeks for it to be repaired, I chose the option where they sent a replacement and I mailed mine back in. I copied all the save info to my Wii and lost my 6-7 hours of progress in Twilight Princess, Wii Sports stuff, and all of the Miis except the Mii of me that I kept on my Wii Remote.
Aw, geez. It may just be that TP and Wii Sports are, unfortunately, both of the games that CAN'T have their data copied? I was able to do it with Kirby's Epic Yarn, Wario Land: Shake It!, and DKCR. I wish I knew which games could and could not have their save data copied, but that sounds like an absurdly difficult and tedious task.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 30, 2014

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

jivjov posted:

I really don't get gamers sometimes...if a game explains every last little thing and makes sure you understand how it works before proceeding, then its too handholdy. If a game gives you the basics and then just lets you dick around and discover what all you can do with said basics, then its too obtuse and needs more tutorials.

Gamers these days really chap my hide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

jivjov posted:

It's almost as if the term 'gamers' refers to a very, very large and diverse group of people with individual tastes in how they want a game to teach itself to them. :iiam:

• Locked thread