Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Taxi Driver is god drat incredible and in my top 3 of all time and everything about it is pretty much perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Taxi Driver is god drat incredible and in my top 3 of all time and everything about it is pretty much perfect.

Yeah same for me. De Niro's performance (in fact all the actors are terrific), the score, the direction, script, the whole thing is just an outstanding piece of work.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

It really drives home how trashy 1970's NYC was.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

Speaking of fly-by making GBS threads on beloved movies: Planes, Trains and Automobiles is just an aggressively unpleasant movie.

That's a movie I used to really like and now I like less and less every time I see it.

Especially after recently rewatching The Jerk and rediscovering that it's basically one of the most perfect American comedies ever made, it's hard for me to really appreciate any comedy that uses Steve Martin as the straight man.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

morestuff posted:

Speaking of fly-by making GBS threads on beloved movies: Planes, Trains and Automobiles is just an aggressively unpleasant movie.

I wish I had the heart to argue with you. I rewatched it recently and all the magic was gone, it was just very loud and obvious and unpleasant.

Let's just say it aged poorly. Unlike Taxi Driver, which is a still a masterpiece you loving heathens.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Got around to watching What About Bob last night and it has held up surprisingly well. When I was younger and first saw the movie I didn't really catch the hilarious tension between Murray and Dreyfus' character. I love towards the end when you start to wonder who is really the crazy guy--Bob or the doctor.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

Got around to watching What About Bob last night and it has held up surprisingly well. When I was younger and first saw the movie I didn't really catch the hilarious tension between Murray and Dreyfus' character. I love towards the end when you start to wonder who is really the crazy guy--Bob or the doctor.

That, on the inverse to Planes Trains and Automobiles, is a comedy that's just gotten better and better every time I've seen it. Some truly twisted dark comedy material in there. Close to a career high point for both Murray and Dreyfus as far as I'm concerned.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I wouldn't even say that PTaA aged poorly, it's just one of those films everyone's seen a thousand times over since they play it on TV about 3 times week, going on 30 years now. Even the best films start to get annoying once you've seen them too many times.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I wouldn't even say that PTaA aged poorly, it's just one of those films everyone's seen a thousand times over since they play it on TV about 3 times week, going on 30 years now. Even the best films start to get annoying once you've seen them too many times.

I dunno, I've only seen it maybe 3 times and its charm wore off real fast.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

"baby steps to ________" became a family saying. What About Bob is fantastic.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That's a movie I used to really like and now I like less and less every time I see it.

Especially after recently rewatching The Jerk and rediscovering that it's basically one of the most perfect American comedies ever made, it's hard for me to really appreciate any comedy that uses Steve Martin as the straight man.

Straight-man Martin, Candy plays an irritating doofus with no shading, and it runs its one joke into the ground with a vengeance. The soundtrack is hilariously bad, too, with chintzy synthesizer versions of public domain songs used as chase music and random turntable scratches.

Martin's loving monologue is pretty funny, though.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I dunno, I've only seen it maybe 3 times and its charm wore off real fast.

THREE TIMES?! You go choke on John Candys hog. Choke on his dead, moldering hog.

Also those aren't pillows.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
What About Bob is one of those underrated Bill Murray classics like Quick Change, a movie which will sadly probably never be on Netflix. I dunno even who owns it at this point.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Every line and every scene is perfect and having the best set in the world cements it.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

morestuff posted:

I feel the same way. I can't stand comedies that have nearly unrelenting, terrible things happen to the protagonist, especially when its mean spirited. I feel the same way about a lot of Ben Stiller movies, with The Heartbreak Kid being the worst.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Tokyo Godfathers is leaving Netflix on the 1st, and I recommend giving a watch if you can find the time tomorrow. Rather than calling it an 'anime for people who don't like anime,' which gets repeated here often and is essentially meaningless, I will say that it is simply a very touching film about friendship, family, and forgiveness that just happens to be animated and from Japan.

It's about three homeless friends in Tokyo (grizzled drunk, runaway girl, and transgendered woman) who find an abandoned infant on Christmas Eve, and spend the entire evening tracking down her parents. Very funny and very moving, please check it out if you can.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
Doesn't it also have a graphic male on male rape scene?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Looking back, I guess the epilogue isn't that out of place, it's just jarring compared to the scene that preceded it, and goes against expectations of how these kind of stories usually end. There's also the obvious, but easy to overlook fact that the characters (and New Yorkers in general) in the movie don't know everything what the film's audience knows, so it wouldn't be too difficult for them to interpret things the way they did.

Anyway I noticed The Birthday Boys was just added. If you're a fan of Bob Odenkirk, Mr. Show, or sketch comedy in general you owe it to yourself to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyKHX2jzyHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbxWxmidfQ4

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Inudeku posted:

Doesn't it also have a graphic male on male rape scene?

......no.

I don't know what film you're thinking of.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Paper Kaiju posted:

Tokyo Godfathers is leaving Netflix on the 1st, and I recommend giving a watch if you can find the time tomorrow. Rather than calling it an 'anime for people who don't like anime,' which gets repeated here often and is essentially meaningless, I will say that it is simply a very touching film about friendship, family, and forgiveness that just happens to be animated and from Japan.

It's about three homeless friends in Tokyo (grizzled drunk, runaway girl, and transgendered woman) who find an abandoned infant on Christmas Eve, and spend the entire evening tracking down her parents. Very funny and very moving, please check it out if you can.

I didn't even know this was streaming. But I would say that it's not a good anime movie, it's just a good movie. I think if Satoshi Kon had done live-action movies instead of animated ones he would have been a much more widely appreciated director. Which is too bad because he deserved to be more widely appreciated.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

neonnoodle posted:

What About Bob is one of those underrated Bill Murray classics like Quick Change, a movie which will sadly probably never be on Netflix. I dunno even who owns it at this point.

What About Bob? is a great movie, and it really made me appreciate how goddamn funny Dreyfus is. The way he flips from calm to manic and insane and back again is almost inhuman. And he handles subtle, silly little gags so well. One of my favorite little moments is when he and Bob first meet, and as he's poring over his bookcase looking for looking for a copy of Baby Steps even though there's a full row of them a foot from his face. Something about the way he performed that bit always makes me laugh.

I love Quick Change, but I always felt about it the way I feel about Joe Versus the Volcano. They're both loaded with funny bits and great moments, but the meat of both of them is pretty weak. Sum of their parts or whatever. They're two movies I can comfortably watch without paying too much attention to them until my favorite scenes start.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
tokyo godfathers is one of the best christmas movies ever made

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Stephen Chow's Journey to the West is super fun and crazily charming. I loved it all the way through. Highly recommended.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Pacific Rim is on Swedish Netflix if you really want to watch a lovely movie bad enough to use whatever it is that tricks the region lock.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just watched the american remake of Oldboy.

..... what the hell did I just watch? The performances were so off the mark that half the time the movie came off as a comedy.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
It's really weird to me that Comedy Bang Bang got new episodes but I guess they just added the second half of season two, which is twice as long as I thought? I completely put off watching it because of that.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
I need to rewatch Taxi Driver, but to maybe put a finer point on what was off, I loved and enjoyed the point being made that this sociopath Bickle was lauded as a hero. Seeing the newspaper clippings had a similar vibe for me as the end of clockwork orange where Alex is congratulated and pampered because the government doesn't want to get blamed for the brainwashing's effects.

But what I think clockwork orange nailed was that final shot, peering into Alex's mind-- the psyopath's "cure." The taxi driver ending was more of a tone statement and it just fell flat.

But I'll agree with the rest of the praise.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

tokyo godfathers is one of the best christmas movies ever made

'a Christmas movie for people who don't like Christmas movies'

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Does Heathers still hold up? It's a movie I watched a lot as a kid, which is weird to think about now as an adult, so now when I watch it I still enjoy it quite a bit but wonder if it's just nostalgia making me think it's this underrated gem

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

BIZORT posted:

Does Heathers still hold up? It's a movie I watched a lot as a kid, which is weird to think about now as an adult, so now when I watch it I still enjoy it quite a bit but wonder if it's just nostalgia making me think it's this underrated gem

It really doesn't.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It totally does.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think it's just fine nowadays.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

BIZORT posted:

Its very strange to watch in a post Columbine world.

Edit: I never saw it until recently and it wasn't a bad movie but some parts of it made me feel uncomfortable.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Heathers is great, but the idea of highschool kids killing each other was obviously intended as a fantastical impossibility back in the eighties and can seem a little crass when played for laughs in 2014. I rewatched it last year with a friend who had never seen it before and we both liked it, but our biggest laugh was after the movie when we talked about how it would be an impossible movie to make and market today.

And I really liked Pacific Rim too, but it loses something by being on a small screen. So while I recommend it, I don't think watching it in low-res via overseas Netflix is the best way to experience it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sarchasm posted:

Heathers is great, but the idea of highschool kids killing each other was obviously intended as a fantastical impossibility back in the eighties and can seem a little crass when played for laughs in 2014. I rewatched it last year with a friend who had never seen it before and we both liked it, but our biggest laugh was after the movie when we talked about how it would be an impossible movie to make and market today.

This is bullshit. School shootings date back before the 80s even. They're not as common as they are these days but they still happened. Heathers is perfectly aware of the dark uncomfortable territory it's making light of and that's part of the reason it's so great.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

axleblaze posted:

This is bullshit. School shootings date back before the 80s even. They're not as common as they are these days but they still happened. Heathers is perfectly aware of the dark uncomfortable territory it's making light of and that's part of the reason it's so great.

Perhaps I phrased that poorly. Heathers is obviously aware that it is a dark comedy, but the idea of a trenchcoat-wearing teen who plots the violent death of his classmates is definitely intended as a fantastical extreme that you can take for comedic value. The Christian Slater character comes off very differently in present day.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Sarchasm posted:

Perhaps I phrased that poorly. Heathers is obviously aware that it is a dark comedy, but the idea of a trenchcoat-wearing teen who plots the violent death of his classmates is definitely intended as a fantastical extreme that you can take for comedic value. The Christian Slater character comes off very differently in present day.
Um, he ropes someone else into the murdering, convinces everyone two of the victims were gay and that they killed themselves in a suicide pact, then plans to blow up the entire school. I'm pretty sure he's still a "fantastical extreme."

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
My Girl (and its inferior sequel) just popped up. I remember enjoying it when I was a kid but I don't know if it's held up at all.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

drunken officeparty posted:

Pacific Rim is on Swedish Netflix if you really want to watch a lovely movie bad enough to use whatever it is that tricks the region lock.

Crank & Crank 2: High Voltage are on Swedish netflix too, great crazy action movies with absurd plots.

21 Jump Street is up there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Um, he ropes someone else into the murdering, convinces everyone two of the victims were gay and that they killed themselves in a suicide pact, then plans to blow up the entire school. I'm pretty sure he's still a "fantastical extreme."

I never argued that he isn't? Only that the character will be received differently in 2014 than he was upon the movie's release.

• Locked thread