Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
the whole thing was pretty :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gus Hobbleton posted:

the whole thing was pretty :smith:

the short stories and novellas go pretty dark places.

the full length novels are mostly rollicking good times.

Harok
Mar 27, 2010
Long time lurker, first timer poster (for the pos) I just finished DS9 and it has the best ending.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
i just read the plot synopsis for transformers 4 :psyduck:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

it sounds like boring garbage idgi?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The first three movies exist, were you expecting any different?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Rfup0XKx7o
Also this is kind of amazing when the story beats just match exactly.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Harok posted:

Long time lurker, first timer poster (for the pos) I just finished DS9 and it has the best ending.

i'm a big scifi fan and haven't finished ds9 or bsg

i heard they ended badly so i just kinda quit watching

i respect the good things rdm brought to the franchises and the genre though

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Babylon 5 didnt even know if they'd get a season 5, so they rushed to finish everything for the end of season 4. Then whoops they got renewed and basically thumb twiddled for a whole season. Just watch til the end of 4.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
i like ds9 but the ending is ultra stupid

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
transformers series synopsis:
robots come to earth. some are good most are bad. bad robot fight good robot. government mad at robots but good robot win

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol i just remembered people unironically liked prometheus

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
stop trying to justify far cry 3 as a parody of lovely video game protagonists or whatever. its not. its a bad game, a terrible game in fact

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
it's really too bad that you can't cause your douchebag whitebread friends to die

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
blood dragon is a masterful satire of the modern infatuation with the 1980s

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's really too bad that you can't cause your douchebag whitebread friends to die

most of them anyway

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Far Cry 3 was an unintentional satire of video games in that the writer thought he was making satire without knowing what that entails and ended up creating the exact same idiotic bullshit as everybody else with no challenging of ideals or preconceived notions.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
if you want a game that really fucks with the genre conventions without being lazy satire then play "spec ops: the line"

i'm amazed it got published, i would have expected 2k to look at the final product and just fire everybody for making it

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Pwnstar posted:

the exact same idiotic bullshit as everybody else with no challenging of ideals or preconceived notions

fun fact: you can *always* read this as satire if you try hard enough

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Heresiarch posted:

if you want a game that really fucks with the genre conventions without being lazy satire then play "spec ops: the line"

i'm amazed it got published, i would have expected 2k to look at the final product and just fire everybody for making it

i've only seen clips but i want to play this

literally the most correct vidya game about war

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Heresiarch posted:

iirc the reason its like that is because the devs realized they were making a boilerplate 3rd person shooter and decided to make the best of it

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

syscall girl posted:

i've only seen clips but i want to play this

literally the most correct vidya game about war

it's still on sale on steam for $10 for the next six hours or so

the ad copy is terrible but eh i guess 2k had to try to sell it to the call of duty/battlefield market

Jonad posted:

iirc the reason its like that is because the devs realized they were making a boilerplate 3rd person shooter and decided to make the best of it

well it worked, whatever happened

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Heresiarch posted:

oh my god lol

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

spec ops: the line is the most hackneyed derivative bullshit i've ever even looked at

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
spec ops the line replaces PRESS Y TO RANK UP with PRESS Y TO BE A WAR CRIMINAL HAHA YOU'RE THE BAD GUY!!!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
it's subversive because most war criminals press Y NOT

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

spec ops the line replaces PRESS Y TO RANK UP with PRESS Y TO BE A WAR CRIMINAL HAHA YOU'RE THE BAD GUY!!!

yes and?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

what, did you expect a game that tried to talk to call of duty players to be subtle?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Heresiarch posted:

what, did you expect a game that tried to talk to call of duty players to be subtle?

oh god.

yep. this is what passes for satire amongst the terminally disengaged narcissist crowd folks.

that theoretical other who are worse than me. that mass of normies who i've chosen to characterise collectively as "COD fans", that undifferentiated mass that i've never personally interacted with on any level, those guys need a lecture for being definitely, definitely stupider than me.

and I'm the consumer for that lecture. I'm the only one here who can really appreciate what that lecture means

watered down conrad. this is art

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

blue stymie is wrong in that most videogame consumers really are terminally stupid irredeemable fucklords

he is correct, however, in that spec ops the line is a bad video game.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

and snow crash is a bad sf novel. that's sort of the point

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

also please don't quote blue stymie even indirectly

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
look specs op the line isnt like convention-crushing or anything but i dunno it was refreshing to play a war game that didn't pan out like a god drat miachel bay movie.

its fun, it looks great, and the campaign is well made. it had raelly good level design

the ending was terrible and the game would have been great had he just died in the desert instead tho

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
reminder that the piece of satire most often pointed to is one about literally eating babies to make a point

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
basically what im saying is there is a nic emiddleground between it being a poo poo game and being teh best war game EVER

it is merely a 'p good game'

wisdom :2bong:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

reminder that the piece of satire most often pointed to is one about literally eating babies to make a point

irish ones though

so not really unreasonable

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

i never said i thought it was the best game or anything, i just think it's cool that the devs hosed with genre conventions to take what is essentially just a very generic military shooter and turn it into a game that's actually got something to say about perceptions of heroism

it's a pretty simplistic message but that's more than any other games in the genre have

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

nigga crab pollock posted:

the ending was terrible and the game would have been great had he just died in the desert instead tho

there are 4 endings

-get extracted (the writer hinted in an interview that this is a hallucination somewhere but I can't find it now)

-get killed by your own rescue team

-become the new desert warlord

-shoot yourself

which is a hell of a lot better than the choice most war games give you:

-shoot the bad guy, war ends, everybody goes home and lives happily ever after

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i keep wanting to write something sci fi or fantasy ish that boiled down to the truth is in the middle

but its probably really difficult to make that interesting and has been done before i'm sure

still want to do it

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Amethyst posted:

spec ops: the line is the most hackneyed derivative bullshit i've ever even looked at

You must save hella electricity posting with your monitor switched off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

also, I feel somewhat grubby, having read seven and a half of Barry Eislers 'John Rain' airport thriller books over the past fortnight and p. much enjoyed them all :o:

• Locked thread