Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Contract ended this summer, technically he is still Ajaccio's player for like 2 days?

He is probably doing what lots of footballers do - keep their options open till the world cup is over. Perfect place for mediocre players to shine, like Ochoa.

Free player that impressed at international level once or twice? Welcome to Milan, son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

vyelkin posted:

People don't actually remember him as Fat Ronaldo, that's just a funny way to refer to one of the best strikers in the history of football, and an easy way to distinguish him from the guy most people will immediately think of if you just write Ronaldo. Ten years from now, when CRonaldo has retired and there's some new guy named Fabio Ronaldo or whatever, Cristiano will be referred to by some other name as well, just for clarification.

We'll be calling him C. Ronald, in fact why don't we start now.

I for one am happy that C. Ronald got sent home like the big dumb babby he is.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Do teams get additional substitutions in extra time, or is it still just the three for the game?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Patrick Spens posted:

Do teams get additional substitutions in extra time, or is it still just the three for the game?

Just the three for the whole 90/120 minutes.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Patrick Spens posted:

Just the three. The IFAB actually considered allowing another in extra time a few years ago but nothing came of it.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Is it true that FIFA has no full-time refs? Someone said that in the MDT. Seems weird if that's true.

In the Costa Rica vs Grerce match, one if the Greece players hooked his arm to Costa Rica's Campbell's arm and caused Campbell to tumble. This was not a foul. Shouldn't it be?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

If penalties are tied 5-5, does it just keep going until someone's shot is blocked or misses?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Badger of Basra posted:

If penalties are tied 5-5, does it just keep going until someone's shot is blocked or misses?

It goes until one team scores and the other team doesn't. Each team gets as many chances as the other.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
To add to that, no player can take more than one penalty until every other player on their team has taken one, goalies included, so shootouts can get to the point where the crap penalty takers, and blubbering cowards, have to take one.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

HJB posted:

To add to that, no player can take more than one penalty until every other player on their team has taken one, goalies included, so shootouts can get to the point where the crap penalty takers, and blubbering cowards, have to take one.

Isn't it until every player who was on the field at the end of the match? In other words, no bench players.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

highme posted:

Isn't it until every player who was on the field at the end of the match? In other words, no bench players.

Yes, only players who were on the pitch at the end of extra time can take one.

In our lower league football the ref is nice enough to remind us of that fact with a couple of minutes to go since we all forget.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Blitz7x posted:

Are there clauses in contracts that protect the player/club in case of catastrophic injury that may occur in non-club activities?

There aren't, but the players are theoretically insured against injury. Rip Dean Ashton

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
How does Tim Howard stack up against the best goalies in the world? I know this forum makes fun of Jozy and Bradley being the best players on the USA, but isn't Howard legitimately good?

Would the USA fair well if a match came down to penalties?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

How does Tim Howard stack up against the best goalies in the world? I know this forum makes fun of Jozy and Bradley being the best players on the USA, but isn't Howard legitimately good?

Keepers can be known for lots of good things. I think Howard is really quite good, one of the top ten internationally if not higher, but I haven't seen him involved in a penalty shoot out in some time. Often times you see keepers described as good "shot stoppers" or "commanding their area" or other things. Stopping penalties is a much different skill than what's used in games normally.

So really the answer to your question is that Howard is actually a very good keeper, but someone who watches him in the PL regularly will know if he's a good penalty saving keeper.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Penalties are kind of a crapshoot. It's less on the goalie to block the shot than it is for the shooter not to gently caress up.

I don't know much about Howard, but he's got enough experience that he probably won't flake, and being a good keeper on top of that will mean he'll do about as good as any other. Which is like, one or two bad shots saved. If the shooter sends a good shot into the corner, there isn't much any keeper can do.

At a glance, the US team looks dry on dependable penalty takers. I'd give Dempsey and Jones a fair chance, but if you can't trust Jozy 2 yards in front of an open net, concerns come up when he's further away with a keeper and 50,000 spectators.

That said, I don't even know who's on the US penalty lineup.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It's possible to prepare for penalties as a keeper. Jens Lehmann famously helped Germany win a penalty shoot-out after he fished out notes about Argentina's players from his boot. Knowing who's likely to take a penalty and which way they usually go can be useful even only as a confidence booster. There's also the more recent trend of keepers jumping off their line, often illegally, just before a penalty is taken to close down the available angles for the kicker. Some keepers also have eccentricities meant to put off takers: Jerzy Dudek's "dance" in the 2005 Champion's League final supposedly put off AC Milan's penalty takers, and Joe Hart sometimes kicks the goal posts with his studs to intimidate penalty takers. All that said, a well-taken penalty usually gives the keeper no chance at all.

Tim Howard is actually one of the best keepers in the WC in terms of proportion of penalties saved. There's a useful table here. He has saved six out of 15 penalties taken against him. It's worth comparing this to other "top" keepers like France's Hugo Lloris, who has only ever saved two penalties out of 22 taken against him. So a keeper can clearly make the difference.

That said, I have no idea how good Dempsey and friends are at taking penalties. It's entirely possible that a ragtag band of MLS shitheels will sky every penalty. Maybe some of that German penalty expertise will rub off from Klinsmann onto them.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Howard is a good keeper, but not quite in the top echelon of 'world class' players. As for penalties, as everyone else has said, it's much of a crap shoot. I'd expect him to be alright, as he is experienced, and should hold his nerve, but he's looked a bit shaky so far and is old enough that his reflexes aren't quite as good as maybe they once were.

Michael Bradley is a decent player too, it's really just Jozy that's laughable imo. And Beckermans hair.

e. You can def prepare for pens as a keeper too, as the poster above me said. I remember a game where I think Ben Foster had a coach with an ipad with video of the other teams players taking pens on it telling him which way to go for which players before a shootout.

Bogan Krkic fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 30, 2014

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

toanoradian posted:

Is it true that FIFA has no full-time refs? Someone said that in the MDT. Seems weird if that's true.

Well yes and no. FIFA do not employ any referees themselves, but a number of the leagues keep referees on retainer. All the Premier League referees, for example, are full-time. Some of the smaller leagues/countries may not; I know it wasn't until a few years ago that full-time positions became available for MLS referees, for instance.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Bogan Krkic posted:

Howard is a good keeper, but not quite in the top echelon of 'world class' players. As for penalties, as everyone else has said, it's much of a crap shoot. I'd expect him to be alright, as he is experienced, and should hold his nerve, but he's looked a bit shaky so far and is old enough that his reflexes aren't quite as good as maybe they once were.

Are there are any world class goalies left in the upcoming WC matches? I asked before about top defenders and am looking forward to seeing Kompany in action.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Howard's great and America's strongest link imo. Also sometimes he scores goals.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=omO1PQehOUc

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Furious Lobster posted:

Are there are any world class goalies left in the upcoming WC matches? I asked before about top defenders and am looking forward to seeing Kompany in action.

Neuer for Germany is one of the best in the biz. As is Belgian Courtois.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Ive always seen Howard as being the general of the defense.

Defenders make some mistakes, get out of position... and then Timmy yells at them and everything snaps back into place

Also he's super hot :allears:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Jozy's confidence was so bad that he chose not to take a penalty for Sunderland in a shoot out they had this season

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Furious Lobster posted:

Lloris hasn't had to step forward much yet, but he basically carries Tottenham throughout the club year. His main weakness seems to be free kicks, where his defensive walls disintegrate more often than not.

Some around TRP have a lot of good things to say about Navas, but I honestly haven't any idea how he plays. Costa Rica has a great defense though.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

What is Benzema even doing here?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I am OK posted:

Howard's great and America's strongest link imo. Also sometimes he scores goals.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=omO1PQehOUc

This rules so hard, go Everton

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

vyelkin posted:

What is Benzema even doing here?

Being a fanny. Neither of those goals were on Lloris because as a keeper you'd have to expect a wall to not panic at the sight of a football.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Lloris kinda sucks and is good for a howler quite often

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Total Meatlove posted:

Being a fanny. Neither of those goals were on Lloris because as a keeper you'd have to expect a wall to not panic at the sight of a football.

Seriously, he starts turning away like he's afraid for his balls before the free kick taker even strikes the ball. There's no excuse for that and it's not really Lloris's fault. He put his wall in the right place and Benzema just decided he wasn't going to bother doing his job. I mean, maybe Lloris should be shouting "Karim you loving moron, stand still or I'll kick you in the balls myself" but I dunno man.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
He should have had that swiss one regardless

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

If you're in the wall of meat and you blocked a shot with your shoulder or elbow, is that considered a handball? Is that why the people in the wall right in front of the ball just sort of moves away from the ball?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

toanoradian posted:

If you're in the wall of meat and you blocked a shot with your shoulder or elbow, is that considered a handball? Is that why the people in the wall right in front of the ball just sort of moves away from the ball?

No, they do that because they're big ninnies. If you keep your arms close to your body, only idiots will complain about handballs.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

toanoradian posted:

If your hand is in front of your body 99 out of 100 refs will never give it as handball because the ball would have struck your body anyway so your hand being there didn't change anything. Handball is not a 'the ball can never touch your hand under any circumstances' rule, it's a 'you can't change the course of the game by using your hands' rule which is why handballs generally only get called if the hand is in an unnatural position away from the body, or if the handball is clearly deliberate.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Refs will usually call a foul depending on whether the offending player used his arm to protect his face (active movement from nether region to said face).

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

toanoradian posted:

You can see the ref tell every wall "hold your hands here *holds forearm up below chin* it's OK, hold your hands here *holds forearm up to cover face* it's not OK"

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

hopterque posted:

We'll be calling him C. Ronald, in fact why don't we start now.

I for one am happy that C. Ronald got sent home like the big dumb babby he is.

Please, follow the naming convention already established and refer to him as "Twat Ronaldo" as is right and proper.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

How much impact does a manager/coach have on the game? Just going by American sports, an NFL head coach is invaluable, where a manager in major league baseball is entirely replaceable (especially in the AL). Does a manager have a huge impact on a game?

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

How much impact does a manager/coach have on the game? Just going by American sports, an NFL head coach is invaluable, where a manager in major league baseball is entirely replaceable (especially in the AL). Does a manager have a huge impact on a game?

It depends on the manager but largely yes, the very best manager do make all the difference in the world. The best is example is Alex Ferguson at man united who was able to achieve 20 years of success up against some of the very best teams and managers in the world and the only constant was him, and when he left the title winning team he had collapsed and finished 7th the next season.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

in football there is one fifteen minute stoppage in the game. this being the case, you can probably assume that managers are considered ridiculously important to a teams success as they define the shape of the team, set tactics, give players predetermined movements in certain situations all before the ball is kicked.

if you talk to players they basically suggest that the outcome of the game is decided the day before the match based on the players in the game and the way that the manager chooses to use them. there's obviously an element of chaos and improvisation that keeps the sport interesting, but these matches are like chess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Also, in most cases the manager has the responsibilities of both the head coach and the manager in American sports, so it's not really a case of one or the other.

• Locked thread