Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Do you get most of your money's worth out of a pre-release sealed kit out of just the booster packs? I've never done a sealed event before, and haven't played a proper game of magic in ages so I wouldn't count on winning anything. Or does that depend on what the lgs is charging? (When I asked, I was told it'd between $25 and $30 for M15, the clerk didn't remember the exact figure.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

The new Garruk is great because it's given me so many opportunities to make Randy Orton jokes on Twitter.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Do you get most of your money's worth out of a pre-release sealed kit out of just the booster packs? I've never done a sealed event before, and haven't played a proper game of magic in ages so I wouldn't count on winning anything. Or does that depend on what the lgs is charging? (When I asked, I was told it'd between $25 and $30 for M15, the clerk didn't remember the exact figure.)

I'd say it's about right. They're not fleecing you, because at $3.99/per pack x 6 = $24.00 plus your promo rare (~$1.00) you've broken even at $25.00. If it's between there and $30, think of it as a charge for the venue hosting the event, and giving you the opportunity to win "free" packs!
I go to every prerelease sealed event I can, and I always have a blast. I can say the $25.00 is worth it almost every time.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Rinkles posted:

If they do what they did last core set, the prerelease sealed kit will be just 6 booster packs, straight from a booster box.

On the more recent pre-releases, RTR block and Theros block, it's been minimum one seeded pack and 5 assorted other packs. Also, a promo that's tied to the prerelease kit, a spin down counter and other cheap swag.

Also, if your store normally charges less than 3.99 for packs, such as 3 for 10 bucks, and they do charge 25 for this prerelease, (if the prerelease is done with just booster packs this time), they absolutely are fleecing you. The promos are provided free of charge, and Wizards provides prize support for free, based on the amount of prerelease slots the store orders for.

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jun 30, 2014

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

kizudarake posted:

If they do what they did last core set, the prerelease sealed kit will be just 6 booster packs, straight from a booster box.

On the more recent pre-releases, RTR block and Theros block, it's been minimum one seeded pack and 5 assorted other packs. Also, a promo that's tied to the prerelease kit, a spin down counter and other cheap swag.

Also, if your store normally charges less than 3.99 for packs, such as 3 for 10 bucks, and they do charge 25 for this prerelease, (if the prerelease is done with just booster packs this time), they absolutely are fleecing you. The promos are provided free of charge, and Wizards provides prize support for free, based on the amount of prerelease slots the store orders for.

eh, just buying booster packs doesn't require you to spend 3 hours taking up table space.

that said. in the UK it's a bit better value. £25 gets me entry, a free soft drink and a pack of ultra pro sleeves.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

mehall posted:

that said. in the UK it's a bit better value. £25 gets me entry, a free soft drink and a pack of ultra pro sleeves.
That's the equivalent of $40+ USD. At that point, he can just buy sleeves and a drink and still have cash leftover. :effort:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

kizudarake posted:

if your store normally charges less than 3.99 for packs, such as 3 for 10 bucks

Nope. $4 a pack, whatever the number. Unless I asked for a booster box, I guess.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Mikujin posted:

That's the equivalent of $40+ USD. At that point, he can just buy sleeves and a drink and still have cash leftover. :effort:

Yes, but packs are £3.49 here. We get fleeced normally.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

New Garruk is pretty neat but I am unsure if he gives enough value if destroyed immediately. The fact that he can come down and destroy any creature or Planeswalker is pretty solid but spending 7 mana on Hero's Downfall also kind of sucks. Luckily if you're in Black he's marginally easier to protect with Thoughtseize!

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Mob posted:

The new Garruk is great because it's given me so many opportunities to make Randy Orton jokes on Twitter.

Get ready to be the Apex Tweeter.

I still laugh every time i see the poster named Apex Redditor.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

rabidsquid posted:

New Garruk is pretty neat but I am unsure if he gives enough value if destroyed immediately. The fact that he can come down and destroy any creature or Planeswalker is pretty solid but spending 7 mana on Hero's Downfall also kind of sucks. Luckily if you're in Black he's marginally easier to protect with Thoughtseize!

I hope green and black have some way to get him out before turn 7.

Nobody should ever be unhappy to open Garruk for any reason. You will always be able to sell Garruk and buy something you'd rather have.

MrBling posted:

Get ready to be the Apex Tweeter.

:hf:

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

mehall posted:

Yes, but packs are £3.49 here. We get fleeced normally.

They actually went up to £3.59 recently.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

frameset posted:

They actually went up to £3.59 recently.

How recently? I think my LGS are still £3.49, but I will check tonight, as we draft on Mondays.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Playability aside, "Apex Predator" is almost certainly my favorite Planeswalker title.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I haven't made casual 60-card decks for a long time, and I'm looking to make some so that I can play them with friends or have friends play one another with them. Anyone have any good suggestions for fun, cheap, but focused and interesting, casual decks? Here are some ideas I had:
- UR cycling: Lightning Rift, cycling lands, Slice and Dice, Starstorm, Rescind, Complicate, Miscalculation, etc.
- UG madness: Wild Mongrel, Arrogant Wurm, Basking Rootwalla, Frantic Search, Obsessive Search
- UB reanimator: Animate Dead, Inkwell Leviathan, some cantrips, some counterspells
- Sprout Swarm: A bunch of mana elves plus Sprout Swarm I guess? Maybe add an Overrun or something
- BR sacrifice: Reassembling Skeleton, Tenacious Dead, Blood Artist, Falkenrath Noble, Goblin Bombardment

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

HOLY gently caress THEY REPRINTED CHORD

That was the one card that was keeping me from playing Birthing Pod in Modern, because I refused to pay to pick up the card when the deck could be banned out of the format. Now that it's in M15 there's no reason not to get familiar.

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Some questions about Pyromancer Ascension that I want to clear up before playing my first real game with Storm:

- If I cast a spell and there is already a copy of it in the graveyard, yet my spell gets countered, I still get a Quest counter on the Ascension right? The spell hasn't resolved but it has been cast and the conditions have been met?
- If I cast an instant with an active Ascension in play and that spell gets countered, the copy still goes on the stack? Reason is the same as above.
- If I cast an instant with an active Ascension in play and in response my opponent uses Abrupt Decay on the Ascension, the copy still goes on the stack, right?

I think that's all that came up in the last test match. Right now I'm playing the deck with no fetchlands and only 3 Steam Vents and a Sulfur Falls. Sometimes I'm a bit slower but so far it seems to be doing the job.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

lockdar posted:

Some questions about Pyromancer Ascension that I want to clear up before playing my first real game with Storm:

- If I cast a spell and there is already a copy of it in the graveyard, yet my spell gets countered, I still get a Quest counter on the Ascension right? The spell hasn't resolved but it has been cast and the conditions have been met?
- If I cast an instant with an active Ascension in play and that spell gets countered, the copy still goes on the stack? Reason is the same as above.
- If I cast an instant with an active Ascension in play and in response my opponent uses Abrupt Decay on the Ascension, the copy still goes on the stack, right?

I think that's all that came up in the last test match. Right now I'm playing the deck with no fetchlands and only 3 Steam Vents and a Sulfur Falls. Sometimes I'm a bit slower but so far it seems to be doing the job.

1) Yes it triggers when you cast.
2) Yes you still get a copy.
3) Yes it triggers immediately and the "copy this" goes on the stack. Really handy with Past in Flames.

I'm playing an awful version with 4 Steam Vents and 4 Sulfur Falls, but when M15 becomes avaialable in abundance, I'm going to finally get some Shivan Reefs.

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Snacksmaniac posted:

1) Yes it triggers when you cast.
2) Yes you still get a copy.
3) Yes it triggers immediately and the "copy this" goes on the stack. Really handy with Past in Flames.

I'm playing an awful version with 4 Steam Vents and 4 Sulfur Falls, but when M15 becomes avaialable in abundance, I'm going to finally get some Shivan Reefs.

Thanks for this, I thought I had it right but I'd rather check before commiting. I'm also waiting for those Reefs to come available, the Fetchlands will have to wait.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

This is probably a bit of an unusual question. Strictly speaking, are you allowed to reveal a card from your hand when not prompted to do so by an ability or effect? Accidentally or intentionally.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Rinkles posted:

This is probably a bit of an unusual question. Strictly speaking, are you allowed to reveal a card from your hand when not prompted to do so by an ability or effect? Accidentally or intentionally.

Yep. You're not allowed to do the same with your library, but there's absolutely no rule against playing with an open hand, open cards in hand etc.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Mob posted:

I hope green and black have some way to get him out before turn 7.

Nobody should ever be unhappy to open Garruk for any reason. You will always be able to sell Garruk and buy something you'd rather have.

:hf:

He's going right into my Green devotion deck that's splashing black for Vraska, Thoughtseize and Pharika. I expect to get him out around the same time I get Sylvan Primordial out if it's in my hand: around turn 4 or 5.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

rabidsquid posted:

Destroy any creature and gain life equal to it's toughness on a 5 mana spell would be playable so it's worth more than a hero's downfall.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Gonna love the new Garruk in cube. For 7 mana you get a ton of powerful effects, which is reasonable.

This core set is looking sick.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Gyshall posted:

Gonna love the new Garruk in cube. For 7 mana you get a ton of powerful effects, which is reasonable.

This core set is looking sick.

I don't know if it cracks the top Golgari cards but 7 mana is hard to get a real read on without testing. It might end up one of those fun Nicol Bolas style cards as opposed to a staple.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

weekly font posted:

I don't know if it cracks the top Golgari cards but 7 mana is hard to get a real read on without testing. It might end up one of those fun Nicol Bolas style cards as opposed to a staple.

I wonder if it'll be similar to Vraska - people initially put off by the cost, but eventually realizing that it might be useful even just as potentially-useful flexible removal.

vvvv I agree completely, although for superstandard at least, Vraska also kills Elspeth for less mana, so he might get somewhat overlooked for that period of time.

Sarcastro fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 30, 2014

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

weekly font posted:

I cannot imagine how. Two of the best cards right now, and almost assuredly in the future of standard, are sylvan caryatid and courser of kruphix. Both of which should mean you can get Garruk out well before turn 7. For my money I think we will see Garruk in standard play. He can probably be gotten out on turn 5 consistently and he kills Elspeths which justifies his existence by default.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I actually think that in order to get him to kill planeswalkers as his primary gimmick they didn't have much of a choice but to give him 4 abilities.

Because he can kill himself with his first +1.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

Count Bleck posted:

I actually think that in order to get him to kill planeswalkers as his primary gimmick they didn't have much of a choice but to give him 4 abilities.

Because he can kill himself with his first +1.

Doesn't it specifically say target OTHER planeswalker, though?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Oh god drat it
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/90127083213/reprinting-lilliana-vess-seems-so-out-of-place-was

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Courser doesn't actually ramp you at all, it just helps you keep hitting land drops the same way Divination does. It's Caryatid and Elvish Mystic that you'd be relying on in order to hit seven mana before seven lands.

e: ^ Yeah, I'd except an LotV reprint in M16. Give the old mono-black devotion a super-standard sendoff, and then wave goodbye (and good riddance) to Thoughtsieze.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

inSTAALed posted:

Doesn't it specifically say target OTHER planeswalker, though?

Oh whoops, it does say another.

Does that mean if Garruk is the only walker out he blanks on his first +1?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

MAN thats sad

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Count Bleck posted:

Oh whoops, it does say another.

Does that mean if Garruk is the only walker out he blanks on his first +1?

It means you can't play his first +1 at all. You can't play a spell or ability if you can't choose legal targets for it.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
Hot off the European MTG twitter:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Chorocojo posted:

Aw yeah, Eldrazi conscription reanimator time.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Chorocojo posted:

Hmmm that is a really nice ability. Do you think the cost on it is justified by the ability though? I'm not sure I would use it in Standard because of the cost.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chorocojo posted:

Neat card, but probably not very good in standard.

Probably a nice addition to Eldrazi Conscription decks though.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

OssiansFolly posted:

Hmmm that is a really nice ability. Do you think the cost on it is justified by the ability though? I'm not sure I would use it in Standard because of the cost.

He seems like a Convoke posterboy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Serperoth posted:

Yep. You're not allowed to do the same with your library, but there's absolutely no rule against playing with an open hand, open cards in hand etc.

Any high profile examples of this being used tactically or to play mind games?

• Locked thread