Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

TWBalls posted:

Cool, thanks!

I keep telling myself that I really need to learn Powershell, but I keep putting it off. I think since I'm not on call this weekend, I'll get started. I've got a couple of books and found a couple of Youtube channels that look pretty good.

You should definitely do that. I wish I had started learning it years ago. I've only got about 4-5 months PS experienced under my belt now but it really is game changing stuff for Windows admins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splashy Gravy
Dec 21, 2004

I HAVE FURY!
Slippery Tilde

TWBalls posted:

Cool, thanks!

I keep telling myself that I really need to learn Powershell, but I keep putting it off. I think since I'm not on call this weekend, I'll get started. I've got a couple of books and found a couple of Youtube channels that look pretty good.

If you haven't found this already, I recommend starting with Don Jones' video. He's an excellent instructor. You come out the other side with a good understanding of what happening under the hood. That and you'll know how to learn more powershell commands on your own going forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ya1dQ1Igkc

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

fromoutofnowhere posted:

Pass it off to them, they say ok, I'll get it done right now. They then get up and walk out to the bathroom without installing. So I'm kind of wondering if there's an issue between the two, or if the tech is just losing it.

Maybe the install was going to take some time and the dude just figured he'd better pee first? It's not like he went home or to lunch or something. A full bladder waits for no users... :v:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

TWBalls posted:

Cool, thanks!

This one gets linked in here (or the other thread?) all the time: http://www.manning.com/jones3/

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

TWBalls posted:

Cool, thanks!

Powershell's internal documentation is incredible. It does wildcard searches, examples, and has detailed help for every prebuilt cmdlet. I recommend the Powershell in a Month of Lunches book, it takes a holistic approach and teaches you how to fish within the first 30 pages.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

:allears: You beat me to it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Powershell is the Excel of OS tools

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Splashy Gravy posted:

If you haven't found this already, I recommend starting with Don Jones' video. He's an excellent instructor. You come out the other side with a good understanding of what happening under the hood. That and you'll know how to learn more powershell commands on your own going forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ya1dQ1Igkc

Yeah, Don Jones and Jeffery Hicks were the two I found. I found the Don Jones channel after buying the Powershell 3 in a Month of Lunches book. Now I just gotta tell myself to stop playing Borderlands 2 so much and start learning.

Anthonypants posted:

This one gets linked in here (or the other thread?) all the time: http://www.manning.com/jones3/
Yeah, I have both the physical and ebook of that along with this, so I really have no excuse. I just need to tell myself to stop screwing around and do it.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Got thing to do in windows? Do it with PS. The poo poo you do everyday? Start doing it with PS. You'll learn.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Swink posted:

Got thing to do in windows? Do it with PS. The poo poo you do everyday? Start doing it with PS. You'll learn.

Yep, I use it every day now. Something needs to be automated? Figure out how to do it with PS. Something needs to be done...do it with PS. I pretty much even use it instead of cmd.exe anymore.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Yep, I use it every day now. Something needs to be automated? Figure out how to do it with PS. Something needs to be done...do it with PS. I pretty much even use it instead of cmd.exe anymore.

Welcome to a functional command line Windows guys. Now if only we had the latest PS on all our servers...

Another thing I love is Rundeck but that's more useful because of having a heterogeneous environment, doesn't mean I don't use it to let people without privileges do things in an automated, reproducible and audited way.

Oh, and WinRM, I love WinRM.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Seen powershell Oneget yet? It's pretty much an apt-get style package manager. Looks great.

Windows stuff is a bit more exciting these days.

edit: install sysinternals using oneget - http://www.thomasmaurer.ch/2014/04/install-sysinternals-from-powershell-via-oneget/

Swink fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 29, 2014

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Thanks for all the tips a couple pages ago all!

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What happened with the guy who had to setup a sound and video stage for 300 people in a field with no power and wasn't allowed to use a generator?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SlayVus posted:

What happened with the guy who had to setup a sound and video stage for 300 people in a field with no power and wasn't allowed to use a generator?
It was posted in the other thread

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Call of the day:

User: "The printer is only printing out one page of my document"
Me: "How many pages is in the document?"
User: "Errr, just one..."

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I'm on call this weekend, and somebody left a message on our emergency voicemail this morning that didn't sound...right. I called them back and not only are they not on a contract that gives them after hours coverage, they're not a client at all.

Is it OK that I really enjoying telling people "I can't help you, call the office tomorrow and speak to somebody else"?

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
So... a few emails didn't come in... in fact all of them didn't.

For the past month or so the SAN has been sending messages every 6 hours without fail or fault to tell us that it needs firmware needs updating. Those messages myteriously stopped Friday night and I thought nothing of it.

Yesterday I noticed that outlook was acting funny and saying that it was disconnected, strange. So I check my phone, disconnected. I call my coworker to confirm that it's not just me and he verifies that he hasn't received any mail in the past day or so. So I send a message to the important people that things are probably down and that I believed it was an ISP issue. He'd see if the guy that is literally a few minutes away can go and take a look at it. This is Saturday at about 7pm

Sunday morning rolls around and I go to check my email. Still down. At this point I text the business owner of my consulting company and he says he'll check back in with directorman.

I get a text back from the director of IT stating that he went to investigate and that none of the racks have power. It appears that Friday Evening, some painters came in and killed power to the entire section of the building in order to paint the floor on the main machine space, without notifying anyone of the fact that they were going to cut anything. So he turns on all the physical servers and VM hosts and calls it a something and leaves a note for the Sysadmin to power on the VMs remotely. I get a text 2 hours later stating that he can't VPN in due to issues and asks me to do him a solid considering he's about 80-110 miles away working on setting up some sweet, sweet wireless. He'd fix the VPN in the morning, whatever.

So I go in, power on all of the VMs and verify that they've spun up (Windows login screens)and then headed home In hindsight, I should have verified that essential services were up then and there. I go to check my email and the Disconnected screen. This time I text everyone in on the loop because I needed everyone to be on the same page and in the same conversation. And then spent my evening troubleshooting and assessing the server environment because they did not go down gracefully and poo poo is hosed.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013
All power cutoff systems should be under lock and key except for the Big Red Button IMO. The only way the painters should be able to kill the power to the server room without asking is to take a set of rubber-handled shears to the mains line.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Sir_Substance posted:

All power cutoff systems should be under lock and key except for the Big Red Button IMO. The only way the painters should be able to kill the power to the server room without asking is to take a set of rubber-handled shears to the mains line.

Even that won't stop them. I've seen painters cut cords so they could paint.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

RadicalR posted:

Even that won't stop them. I've seen painters cut cords so they could paint.

We had some who thoughtfully moved the fibre to the SAN out of the way by tying it to a rack. As in tying a tight knot in the fibre itself.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Caconym posted:

We had some who thoughtfully moved the fibre to the SAN out of the way by tying it to a rack. As in tying a tight knot in the fibre itself.

It's kinda trippy how you can actually see the signal loss as you bend the line back and forth. Then you bend it a little too far and the fiber cracks and the signal goes to zero. Turns out the minimum bend radius the fiber manufacturer lists is kinda important!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

It's kinda trippy how you can actually see the signal loss as you bend the line back and forth. Then you bend it a little too far and the fiber cracks and the signal goes to zero. Turns out the minimum bend radius the fiber manufacturer lists is kinda important!

This is such a major part of day to day operations at an ISP.

Boss man was telling me how he once accidentally caused a major outage as a field tech. He was working in an underground vault and found a lazily bent fiber trunk. He reworked it and managed to straighten it out.

Turns out that it was bent like that several years before, the headend techs saw light loss, and compensated by pumping more light. As time went on, the light loss got worse, and they pumped more and more light into the fiber. When he straightened it out, suddenly the signal went ridiculously hot on the return and signal levels were too high to communicate properly.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That's actually really interesting. So instead of finding out why it was getting worse, they just went "gently caress it, bigger signal"?

This explains so much.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

dogstile posted:

That's actually really interesting. So instead of finding out why it was getting worse, they just went "gently caress it, bigger signal"?

This explains so much.

It's actually pretty normal to do that. There's so many things that can affect signal attenuation that about half of the tickets I deal with on a daily basis are just referrals to balance them. Generally it's not a problem as long as you're able to get the levels within spec on both ends.

Don't get me wrong though, we're equally as hosed up and dysfunctional as every other big company out there.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jun 30, 2014

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Renegret posted:

It's actually pretty normal to do that. There's so many things that can affect signal attenuation that about half of the tickets I deal with on a daily basis are just referrals to balance them. Generally it's not a problem as long as you're able to get the levels within spec on both ends.

Don't get me wrong though, we're equally as hosed up and dysfunctional as every other big company out there.

All kinds of wacky poo poo can cause the attenuation on a fiber link to change. Mostly relating to greasy cheeto dust fingerprints on the optics and people trying to play cat's cradle with the fiber, but sometimes you see interesting poo poo, like the fiber being stacked so deep in the risers that the sheer weight of the runs on top of it cause the fiber to crack internally. The solution: Run another line on top of all the crap to replace the broken one near the bottom. Repeat quarterly until riser is full. Then ignore issue for a year before tearing it all out and starting from the beginning again.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Fiber pits always manage to look really untidy because the nature of the stuff means you need huge loops of it to get the splice trays above ground to work on new circuits.

Although nothing is as bad as these, I can't imagine how the techs manage to find the right pairs half the time:

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 30, 2014

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

All kinds of wacky poo poo can cause the attenuation on a fiber link to change. Mostly relating to greasy cheeto dust fingerprints on the optics and people trying to play cat's cradle with the fiber, but sometimes you see interesting poo poo, like the fiber being stacked so deep in the risers that the sheer weight of the runs on top of it cause the fiber to crack internally. The solution: Run another line on top of all the crap to replace the broken one near the bottom. Repeat quarterly until riser is full. Then ignore issue for a year before tearing it all out and starting from the beginning again.

I admit I don't actually work with the stuff and everything I know about it is things I picked up from techs or during training, but I'm told that the worst offender for us is the weather, which isn't surprising if you think about it.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Renegret posted:

I admit I don't actually work with the stuff and everything I know about it is things I picked up from techs or during training, but I'm told that the worst offender for us is the weather, which isn't surprising if you think about it.

Wacky thing 73b: The fiber counts on the index of refraction between the inner glass fiber strands and the plastic fiber sheath to transmit the data. If you end up changing that index of refraction, say, by soaking the strand in water, you end up with a huge scattering loss as the laser light gleefully buries itself into the bright orange jacket after bending far too sharply after refracting off the water. Because of that index of refraction thing, if you bend the fiber too sharply, the light literally can't bounce back and forth fast enough, and ends up striking the fiber/plastic boundary closer and closer to 90 degree angles, and subsequently losing a lot of energy. Which is why the recommended bend radius for long haul single mode fiber is something like 2 feet.

One of these days I want to get the really expensive fiber tester from work and do a youtube video on all the strange things you can do to make fiber deeply unhappy with life in general.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

One of these days I want to get the really expensive fiber tester from work and do a youtube video on all the strange things you can do to make fiber deeply unhappy with life in general.

Yessssssss

I had to rely on youtube to answer the question of "Why does it take four hours to splice a single break once we've located it". Answer being "holy poo poo it's a lot of work".

Our fiber crews are stretched thin and not very friendly so I don't get much opportunity to learn from them.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

There was a youtube about a fiber optic device that would be able to change the polarisation of the light on an optic signal.

It worked by having a strand of (i think) multi mode fiber inside and a stepper motor to twist the strands. :haw:

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

spankmeister posted:

It worked by having a strand of (i think) multi mode fiber inside and a stepper motor to twist the strands. :haw:

These are the best kind of solutions. I still think 3D projectors where better when they had one bulb and a polarization filter motorised to spin at twice the framerate.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I prefer fiber over copper. It's easier to find. If you want to find it, put a light on one end. Head into the closet and turn the lights off, hey it's plain to see right there. It's easier to terminate than copper. And it breaks all the time so it gives me something to do.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

It's easier to terminate than copper. And it breaks all the time so it gives me something to do.

This may be related.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm referring to people stomping on it, closing it in doors. Kicking their feet around under desks and wondering why the orange wire is broken.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Cojawfee posted:

I'm referring to people stomping on it, closing it in doors. Kicking their feet around under desks and wondering why the orange wire is broken.

Why is fiber where people can kick it under desks or basically any of the above?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It was an air force base. I'll just end my post there.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Sickening posted:

Why is fiber where people can kick it under desks or basically any of the above?

I have a networking book that refers to office chairs as the natural enemy of fiber. I had the exact same question. Who the hell runs fiber to the desktop?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
All the infrastructure was fiber. Don't ask me,I didn't design the place. The place I'm at now is copper to the desktop and some fiber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Cojawfee posted:

All the infrastructure was fiber. Don't ask me,I didn't design the place. The place I'm at now is copper to the desktop and some fiber.

That just doesn't make any sense. Are we talking fiber to workstations?

• Locked thread