Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

overdesigned posted:

Got a tournament today and I'm thinking of running the following:

100 Points:

Etahn A'Baht
+Veteran Instincts

Ten Numb
+Advanced Sensors

Wedge Antilles
+R2-D2

Anybody got some last-second thoughts? I really like the Etahn + Ten combo for guaranteed* un-cancellable crits, but I'm not sure Wedge+R2 is the best way to round it out. I really like flying Wedge like that, and his skill also works well with Etahn, but I'm also a bit leery of 3-ship builds. On the other hand I don't know that two Z-95s would be any better, especially in an event where I expect to face at least one Whisper+VI+Adv Cloak at some point.

Edit: *assuming you can fly ships well

I prefer Wedge with a basic R2 and a skill. Push the Limit is good, or Predator maybe. Basic R2 makes you much more flexible dealing with stress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Loading up wedge with anything normally means he dies without using it. Especially if he doesn't have biggs to guard him

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tournament yesterday was a disaster. People using the new echo make it seem like they are the most point efficient ships in the game so far. Lol 5 shots at range 1 and the ability for echo to "k-turn" on white and boost is ridiculous.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

Chill la Chill posted:

Tournament yesterday was a disaster. People using the new echo make it seem like they are the most point efficient ships in the game so far. Lol 5 shots at range 1 and the ability for echo to "k-turn" on white and boost is ridiculous.

I'm planning on running:
"Echo" Tie Phantom w/Intelligence Agent & Advanced Cloaking Device - Pilot skill 6
Shadow Squadron Phantom w/Intelligence Agent & Advanced Cloaking Device - Pilot skill 5
Shadow Squadron Phantom w/Intelligence Agent & Advanced Cloaking Device - Pilot skill 5

3 fragile ships, but 4 defence dice each while cloaked. As soon as they attack then they'll cloak again from the advanced cloaking. I can look at 3 dials at the start of activations to see if it's safe for them to decloak, or where to line up outside of arcs using their 2 speed barrel rolls/move while decloaking. Each of them with 4 attack dice as standard so even range 3 shooting should be fairly reliable at chipping away at opponents.

It comes to 99 points which should give me the initiative, so against ships with the same PS I'll be shooting first and then cloaking.

The biggest threats will be ships with higher pilot skills shooting before I can recloak, but even then I can just look at their dials before deciding whether to decloak.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
After flying some Phantom lists I got to thinking about how I'd counter them and my biggest idea other than "run Han Solo" is "keep your distance". They're most unpredictable in-close, where the decloak action gives them the biggest effect as far as avoiding and placing ships in firing arc.

That and run higher PS ships so I can at least get shots off in a head-to-head situation.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...

Chill la Chill posted:

People were running phantoms with engine upgrade?

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.
I had some good luck yesterday fitting together:

45 - Colonel Vessery + HLC + Predator
30 - Soontir Fel + PTL
25 - Royal Guard + PTL

I know I'm paying too much for Vessery and making zero use of his pilot ability, but Brath is 2 points more and has an almost as lovely ability so I'd rather fit Soontir and the Royal Guard in. Really though, an HLC with Predator is awesome enough that I almost feel that it's worth the cost. Almost...

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

smashthedean posted:

I had some good luck yesterday fitting together:

45 - Colonel Vessery + HLC + Predator
30 - Soontir Fel + PTL
25 - Royal Guard + PTL

I know I'm paying too much for Vessery and making zero use of his pilot ability, but Brath is 2 points more and has an almost as lovely ability so I'd rather fit Soontir and the Royal Guard in. Really though, an HLC with Predator is awesome enough that I almost feel that it's worth the cost. Almost...

If you really want an HLC with Predator, I recommend running Krassis Trelix, who has a very similar effect, costs less, and has other cool things to recommend him (crew slot for Rebel Captive, etc.).

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Lunatic Pathos posted:

From memory, Decloak requires you to either boost or barrel roll.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
Decloak causes you to either barrel roll using the 2 straight template or move directly ahead using the 2 straight template. However, if you are Echo you instead use the 2 bank template, giving you lots and lots of options.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I've been reading about the tournament results out of Arizona, and unsurprisingly a list with 'Whisper' in a TIE Phantom won. I say unsuprising because it beat a 2x Falcon list for top place, while 3rd and 4th relied on Blue SQ B-Wings for hitting power.

The interesting thing to take away is that only two Phantoms were used in the whole top 16, one finished 1st while the other was 13th or whatever. Swarmy Rebel builds still look like they are competitive but will definitely suffer against well-flown Phantoms, although it would appear that for all the maneuverability, Echo does suffer in the PS order.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Ugh this is worse part about being late to a miniatures game. I get to read about all these cool ships and the things they do but here i am just waiting on some A-Wings at the moment because while it doesn't seem like they are the best ship, i found out Tycho Celchu is one of the pilots and i MUST have him!

A pity they haven't released a Wraith Squadron expansion possibly in the vain of a bigger Rebel Aces set. I want to fly a Gammoeran and an stuff Ewok in my lists.:colbert: Even though the X-Wing book series hasen't been a thing for a long time.

Speaking of Rebel Aces, anybody have a release date on that?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Shut up and sit down did a review of X-Wing this friday. If you aren't used to the humour of this review site, it can be pretty weird/unfunny, but they are extremely positive about the game itself.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I think the Z-95 is probably one of the best 'Must Have' type ships, you get two great named pilots and the generics are good fillers. The 'Decoy' and 'Wingman' EPT's are both absolutely useful and I've ended up with two Z-95s just because it's a really good ship. I'd be careful on buying whatever is the flavour of the month, because right now it's pretty unclear which way the meta will go so I really just recommend getting on whatever you think is cool and making it work.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Did another tournament today. Only 2 people showed up including myself but the shopkeeper was nice and gave us both a bunch of stuff. I didn't realize wedge, a cardboard box, and plastic shield tokens were worth so much. Colonel Jendon promo makes me want to play with him - I haven't touched my lambda ever since I bought it.

Lunatic Pathos posted:

It's a "k-turn" in that the deck oak sideways with a hard turn brings it to almost the same spot but turned around.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

A pity they haven't released a Wraith Squadron expansion possibly in the vain of a bigger Rebel Aces set. I want to fly a Gammoeran and an stuff Ewok in my lists.:colbert: Even though the X-Wing book series hasen't been a thing for a long time.

Yub yub, Commander.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Face! :allears:

Actually come to think of it where's the Super Star Destroyer expansion? What about a card based around taking down said Super Star Destroyer with just Proton Torpedoes? Or where they all just running Advanced Torps and got really lucky rolls?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I think you mean Executor-class Star Dreadnought
:goonsay:

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Did another tournament today. Only 2 people showed up including myself but the shopkeeper was nice and gave us both a bunch of stuff. I didn't realize wedge, a cardboard box, and plastic shield tokens were worth so much. Colonel Jendon promo makes me want to play with him - I haven't touched my lambda ever since I bought it.

It's a "k-turn" in that the deck oak sideways with a hard turn brings it to almost the same spot but turned around.

Aw man. I would love a shot at a wedge card and shield tokens. I didnt start going to tournaments till recently and missed a lot of the early prizes.

I really hope they start reusing some of the old ones.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TouchToneDialing posted:

Aw man. I would love a shot at a wedge card and shield tokens. I didnt start going to tournaments till recently and missed a lot of the early prizes.

I really hope they start reusing some of the old ones.

Yeah I started the game back in late 2012 and only did tournaments this past month with Imdaar alpha. Pretty much what happened is that the TO asked what we were missing so I got wedge, black squad pilot, Jendon, ten numb, shield tokens, and a box. Really nice guy. He's trying to get more people playing (or else HQ of the chain won't give them any more tourney kits) and I think his generosity is part of that. I told him id try to get my 2 friends to come with me to play next time so maybe we'd have at least 4 which would cover the kit fee.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Recently picked up a pair of Defenders with the new Wave 4 stuff. The second Rebel Aces comes out I'll be snatching a couple of those just for the Proton Rockets, too. End goal is a pair of Defenders with Ion Cannons, Proton Rockets, and Munitions Failsafe (best modification) that can get behind absolutely anything for a pair of 5-dice TC-assisted haymakers. Add a couple Academy Pilots to block and soak.

Also experiencing evil fantasies of dealing ion crits with Rexler - bonus points for ion critting Chewie (that bastard).

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Face! :allears:

Actually come to think of it where's the Super Star Destroyer expansion? What about a card based around taking down said Super Star Destroyer with just Proton Torpedoes? Or where they all just running Advanced Torps and got really lucky rolls?

Luckily Arvel Crynyd is already in the game. Bye bye, SSD. :v:

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
My Netrunner group also dabbles in X-Wing, and we're really starting to get a good group at our FLGS. I think we've managed to sell something like half a dozen core sets, two dozen small ships, and a couple big ships in the past week alone. Myself, I just dabble, usually sticking to small basic rebel squads. Ran this over the weekend:

"Dutch" Vander (23)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
Proton Torpedoes (4)

Wedge Antilles (29)
Marksmanship (3)
Proton Torpedoes (4)

Biggs Darklighter (25)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
R2-F2 (3)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Won against my friend's squad of three Tie Interceptors and a Tie Fighter, though it came down to the wire. It was really great when I managed to Ion Cannon his Soontir Fell two turns in a row. Dutch was absolutely my MVP, and while Wedge was pretty great, I think I'll switch him out for Garven Dreis or Jek Porkins to free up some more points for upgrades. Maybe I'll try out some Flechette Torpedos, too. What do you guys think?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Three ship Rebel builds really hinge on dealing some serious damage early and evening the odds. If you can't do that, the dice disparity just becomes insurmountable. I'd consider dropping Wedge down to a cheaper X-Wing, swapping R2-F2 for R2-D2. Getting shields back is more certain than extra defense dice helping out, and your maximum extra from the defense dice is one hit per attack anyway, which doesn't start to statistically outpace R2-D2 until you're taking at least three attacks per turn. If you want to keep Wedge, he doesn't need Marksmanship. He functions much better with a normal attack and PTL to get both TL and Focus on the same target, or even taking an extra turn of non-focus or TL combat to get the combo going. You can drop his Proton Torpedo because he'll be doing better damage at close range with a normal attack anyway since he can keep the TL to fire. I'd use the points from dropping the one Proton Torpedo to make the other two Torpedoes advanced versions. If you're feeling cheeky, don't bother with PTL on Wedge, and add Munitions Failsafe to the two advanced torpedoes to make sure they take something out. If you're unfamiliar with the Failsafe, it makes it so that if you don't make a successful attack with your secondary weapon, you can avoid discarding it until you make a successful one. That means your opponent can get ridiculously lucky and roll three squigs with an evade token, and you can just tell him to do it again next turn. That should put you at 100 points exactly. Could easily consider Porkins with PTL instead of Wedge.

To sum up my recommendations:

"Dutch" Vander (23)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
Advanced Proton Torpedo (6)
Munitions Failsafe (1)

Wedge Antilles (29)

Biggs Darklighter (25)
R2-D2 (4)
Munitions Failsafe (1)

Squad builder link

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Strobe posted:

Cool! The original plan was to have Wedge get a Target Lock from Dutch and use his Agility reduction for the Torpedos, but that didn't work out quite so well. I modified it this way:

"Dutch" Vander (23)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
Flechette Torpedoes (2)
R5-K6 (2)
Munitions Failsafe (1)

Garven Dreis (26)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
R2 Astromech (1)

Biggs Darklighter (25)
Flechette Torpedoes (2)
R2-D2 (4)

Total: 99

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Hopefully Dutch and Garven can swap Target Locks and Focuses for their Proton Torpedos and do some good damage. I dropped another Proton for Flechettes, so hopefully they'll do some damage, but if they don't the Stress tokens should mess around with them. Two Stress tokens on Soontir Fel sounds like a fun plan. I'll have to give your squad a try sometime, too. Thanks for the advice.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Munitions Failsafes are the best modifications yet released. Not because they're 1 point, but because they keep your 3-6 point missile/torpedo from being an accidental waste of points. I am in total love with them.

I'm personally itching to try out a TIE Defender with an ion cannon and proton rockets. That 3 agility means it's a 5-dice slam at range 3, and the munitions failsafe means you're going to do some damage with it. Plus ion cannon and white 4 k-turn leave me all giddy.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Strobe posted:

Munitions Failsafes are the best modifications yet released. Not because they're 1 point, but because they keep your 3-6 point missile/torpedo from being an accidental waste of points. I am in total love with them.

I'm personally itching to try out a TIE Defender with an ion cannon and proton rockets. That 3 agility meanors a 5-dice slam at range 3, and theatunitions failsafe means you're going to do some damage with it. Plus ion cannon and white 4 k-turn leave me all giddy.

Add a stealth device to get it to 6 dice too! Plus, you know, extra defense or something.

edit: you risk missing at that point I guess, but still.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

The Gate posted:

Add a stealth device to get it to 6 dice too! Plus, you know, extra defense or something.

edit: you risk missing at that point I guess, but still.

Proton Rockets are limited to a max of +3 dice, so no 6 dice with Stealth.

Strobe posted:

"Dutch" Vander (23)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
Munitions Failsafe (1)

Wedge Antilles (29)

Biggs Darklighter (25)
R2-D2 (4)
Munitions Failsafe (1)

Squad builder link

Also, putting something like an APT on Biggs is often going to be a waste of points, since your opponent literally HAS to shoot him first, which means he's taking at least a full round of fire before he's close enough to fire it. Very good chance it will die in the tubes still. Put the torp on the other pilot if you're going to bring it, so Biggs dies to buy them time to use it. R2-D2 is also likely to only be used 1 round (at most) before he's dead. I'd put upgrades on Wedge instead of Biggs.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

Proton Rockets cap at 5 dice and are limited to range 1, so you're paying 3 points for a one-shot +1 die. Not saying it's not worth it, but not as amazing as at first glance.

My concern with munitions failure is that too often the problem with ordnance is not that it outright misses, but just isn't more effective than your regular shot, because the TL that could have gone into rolling better isn't there to make it hit harder. So you end up doing 1 damage which you could have done with your primary. Or, if you do miss, you save your ordnance to try again, but while you didn't waste your ordnance, you did waste your shoot that might've hit with your primary+TL.

Good for flechette or ion, though.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Proton Rocket has the distinction of having the header "Attack(Focus)" so you can still use your Target Lock on it. Or, if you're Rexler, use PTL and Proton Rocket to grab a pair of focus tokens and a TL, spend one to fire, use the TL, and then turn those 4-5 hits into 4-5 crits.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Strobe posted:

Proton Rocket has the distinction of having the header "Attack(Focus)" so you can still use your Target Lock on it. Or, if you're Rexler, use PTL and Proton Rocket to grab a pair of focus tokens and a TL, spend one to fire, use the TL, and then turn those 4-5 hits into 4-5 crits.

You don't spend your focus token to fire a Proton Rocket, you just need to have one. See Homing Missiles for the same idea with Target Lock.

Man, the design of the Proton Rockets is one of my favorite things. It just perfectly mechanically describes a drumfire warhead which can only hit its target if you fire at point blank range with exactly the right trajectory. I also love that it comes with an A-wing and even has an A-wing on the card, but it's too expensive to ever put on an A-wing.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Strobe posted:

How do you use PtL to get 2 focus and a TL? He's not Fel.

Bummer on the 5-die cap for Protons though, that sucks.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

After suppressing my natural nerdly OCD in my local game store for so long, I am compelled to state: it's pronounced "Tan-tuh-vee."

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

The Gate posted:

How do you use PtL to get 2 focus and a TL? He's not Fel.

Bummer on the 5-die cap for Protons though, that sucks.

Target locks carry over between turns. As far as I know, there's nothing stating that you cannot do the same action twice with PTL. It's a little bit of long game, but since PRs can only be fired at range 1, so if you're trying to get the most bang for your buck and don't have a target lock by the time you get there, you're doing it wrong or your opponent has a good counter.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

Poopy Palpy posted:

You don't spend your focus token to fire a Proton Rocket, you just need to have one. See Homing Missiles for the same idea with Target Lock.

Man, the design of the Proton Rockets is one of my favorite things. It just perfectly mechanically describes a drumfire warhead which can only hit its target if you fire at point blank range with exactly the right trajectory. I also love that it comes with an A-wing and even has an A-wing on the card, but it's too expensive to ever put on an A-wing.

It's 3 points plus the 2 point opportunity cost of Chardaan, for 5 points, so it's cheaper and better than APT. On the A-wing, the ship with the least trouble getting to boost plus focus, and survivable enough to get range 1 and shoot even at low PS, it's perfect.

Edit:

Strobe posted:

Target locks carry over between turns. As far as I know, there's nothing stating that you cannot do the same action twice with PTL.

The rules of the game do. You can't take the same action twice with anything.

Lunatic Pathos fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 30, 2014

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Strobe posted:

As far as I know, there's nothing stating that you cannot do the same action twice with PTL.

There is the general rule that you can't do the same action more than once per turn which PTL doesn't specifically override.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

Madurai posted:

After suppressing my natural nerdly OCD in my local game store for so long, I am compelled to state: it's pronounced "Tan-tuh-vee."

According to what?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Poopy Palpy posted:

There is the general rule that you can't do the same action more than once per turn which PTL doesn't specifically override.

So you are correct. I managed to miss that little bit of the rulebook, and kept wondering why no one else thought of it first. Mystery solved.

Still, having a focus token and a target lock available to either ensure that the entire salvo of five dice hits (which is enough to outright kill several ships if they roll poorly) or to turn the 3-4 unmodified hits into crits can be invaluable. Plus you can crit Chewie. That alone makes me happy.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Lunatic Pathos posted:

According to what?

The only place it's ever been spoken, the Star Wars radio drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Strobe posted:

Plus you can crit Chewie.

Hm? I think you must be confused about Proton Rockets/Torpedos, unless Im not following you. While you can hit Chewbacca with a critical hit, you cannot resolve the effects of the critical unless you are using an effect that specifically mentions flipping up a card and resolving it, like Saboteur (crew).

• Locked thread