Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Booblord Zagats posted:

I feel like this could have been one of the best games ever had they been bothered to play test anything past Kingsmouth

They're getting better. The i9 patch notes contain fixes to things that were supposedly impossible to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Len posted:

They're getting better. The i9 patch notes contain fixes to things that were supposedly impossible to fix.

Cool. TBH I think the AEGIS system is a sign that the development team has run out of steam in trying to create expansionary systems to combat. The whole thing feels overly complex and likely its nothing more than a time sink because they realized they gave too many people nothing to do but run raids and nightmare dungeons for too long, so they had to resort to something in hopes of keeping them from screaming through new content without much thought of people coming back to the game after being gone for awhile.

Really have no idea why they couldn't have just made a new QL tier (11) and saved everyone some trouble

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Bought this during the summer sale, I'll give one thing to Funcom. It seems like their games cant just die, they are like cockroaches.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

HughGRect posted:

Info is still relevant for new players, but lacks the issue 8 and 9 additions of scenarios, augments, the Tokyo zone and AEGIS.

Thanks.
Yeah, I'm a new player. So I don't expect to hit issue 8/9 content for a while.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I decided to picked this up during the Steam summer sale since the setting, look, and lore all sounded interesting. It is pretty fun so far from what I've played and I really want to sink my teeth into it. It is the first MMO I've ever felt like this with. None have really ever hooked me before, but this one gave me the itch.

Any good tips for me since this is my first real MMO?

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Mr Hootington posted:

I decided to picked this up during the Steam summer sale since the setting, look, and lore all sounded interesting. It is pretty fun so far from what I've played and I really want to sink my teeth into it. It is the first MMO I've ever felt like this with. None have really ever hooked me before, but this one gave me the itch.

I've been told Ele is a solid start, since it combos well with...most everything, really. Assault rifles and pistols both combo well with it. Blood magic a poo poo.

I'm also very very new so dont take my word for it though.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I am a bit confused by the Blue Mountain. I finally got myself a decent-ish build. Have ql 5 talismans (most of them blue), ql 6 weapons, and Sarge and Monkey missions were a breeze mostly. But now both the Franklin woman and quests I randomly pick up from the ground say normal difficulty but send me in the areas with red monsters, what am I doing wrong?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Sekenr posted:

I am a bit confused by the Blue Mountain. I finally got myself a decent-ish build. Have ql 5 talismans (most of them blue), ql 6 weapons, and Sarge and Monkey missions were a breeze mostly. But now both the Franklin woman and quests I randomly pick up from the ground say normal difficulty but send me in the areas with red monsters, what am I doing wrong?

The quarry at the center of Blue Mountain is a Nightmare (QL10 groups) area that you should avoid. Some missions do send you there, but if you don't have a group for them you should just come back later. If you're getting red monsters elsewhere, I, uh, don't know.

Mr Hootington posted:

You're going to be tempted to take healing abilities or a lot of health to keep yourself survivable while leveling. In general, don't do this, and instead focus on damage. You can buy tacos to quickly regenerate your health in between fights- get them at the Haitian market in London (south side of the map).

Elemental Force is literally the first passive in Elementalism and I recommend getting it. It makes an ability critically hit, so try to use it on consumers rather than builders. Once you get a second weapon, the general order is "build six times, use one consumer, use the other consumer (and trigger EF)."

I recommend Assault Rifles for leveling. You have healing with Anima Shot when you reeeeally need it, and the rest of the time you can use Safety Off. Plus, the first Elite active (Slow the Advance) is a ranged AOE hinder, which for the first 2/3 of the game are very useful. And once you fill out the two inner trees, you can immediately pick up Suppressing Fire and Three Round Burst, which are good abilities. Good passives to consider getting are Lethality (good if you have Hit Rating) and Call Your Shots (to give you hit rating while you level). Razor Wire is just fun to use, and Hip Fire is a good replacement for Safety Off if you get tired of it slowing you down.

Also, Assault Rifles are fun. And you can use unlocked passives with any weapon regardless of which part of the wheel they're in.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jun 27, 2014

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I tried Assault rifle and maybe I didn't have fun or something because later on in Kingsmouth, tagging an extra dude would result in you frantically using anima shot and barely killing anything. I found that the chaos sword build was boring, but helped me rope around and murder stuff A LOT quicker.

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012
Just about to enter Blue Mountain, I'm pretty deep in Ele now, but I recognize I need to pick up something else. Can I do ele/hammers? Please say yes.

Also I didn't do Polaris at all or whatever the dungeon was for Savage Coast, should I go back?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
For leveling you can do literally any two weapons, though some pairings may synergize better. And bear in mind that mixing ranged and melee weapons means that you are effectively melee after the initial pull.

Polaris is the dungeon for Kingsmouth; Hell Raised is the dungeon for Savage Coast. You don't particularly need to do it for gear reasons, but the dungeons are cool and well designed and really quite fun, so I encourage you to go back and do it. (Blue Mountain dungeon is the Darkness War.)

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...

Hesh Ballantine posted:

Also I didn't do Polaris at all or whatever the dungeon was for Savage Coast, should I go back?

Like guppy said, you don't absolutely have to (and there are elite versions for when you are at QL10 - and even Nightmare versions for when you've beaten all the elites), but they are nice for the story. Compared to dungeons from many games, a lot less trash and better design (with the exception of a few unfortunate glitches every once in a while)

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012
Hell they're all up in my grill if there's more than one or once Molten Earth wears off anyway so I'm practically melee already. It's hammer time.

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...
Not a bad choice. Do pick up the Hammer passive Cal, Cool and a collected - it synergizes well with Elementalisms crits! Also if you want a third weapon, which you may want for later, Fist is good too, as it also synergizes well with crits.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

guppy posted:

Polaris is the dungeon for Kingsmouth; Hell Raised is the dungeon for Savage Coast. You don't particularly need to do it for gear reasons, but the dungeons are cool and well designed and really quite fun, so I encourage you to go back and do it. (Blue Mountain dungeon is the Darkness War.)

I think you have to do all the dungeons in elite mode in order to be allowed to do any of them in nightmare mode.

e: Also there's a piece of lore you can't get until you're allowed onto the nightmare-dungeon branch of Agartha. :argh:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Which quests should I do first after the Franklin mansion? Mariann Chen (in the north) or the trailer park?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sekenr posted:

Which quests should I do first after the Franklin mansion? Mariann Chen (in the north) or the trailer park?

How depressed are you by American Indians in lousy economic situations?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Sekenr posted:

If you go north first, trust me, you'll make up your mind very quickly. The Orochi camp is also an option, though one of its missions goes to the Quarry and you'll want to do that much later on (or with a group).

Baofu
Jun 15, 2007

A few things:

1) I'm running a Fist/Elemental Affliction build. What stats should I be buffing? Do any of them actually affect Affliction damage?

2) How the heck do you kill Faithless in Transylvania? Their buff says they start becoming terrible when you stack Weakened effects on them. I swapped out Fist for Hammer, but it seemed to do absolutely jack.

3) Does anyone have any idea how mission difficulties are calculated?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Baofu posted:

A few things:

1) I'm running a Fist/Elemental Affliction build. What stats should I be buffing? Do any of them actually affect Affliction damage?

2) How the heck do you kill Faithless in Transylvania? Their buff says they start becoming terrible when you stack Weakened effects on them. I swapped out Fist for Hammer, but it seemed to do absolutely jack.

3) Does anyone have any idea how mission difficulties are calculated?

1) Until recently afflictions could not penetrate or crit, but they wouldn't be blocked, glanced or evaded either. So the only stat the affected them was your the primary attack rating from gear and weapon power rating from the weapon currently drawn.

If you are running a sub QL-10.0 (custom gear) build then hit will be your primary focus, if you want a second stat then take penetrate. Hit will negate evades and reduce the innate glance chance when fighting sub-QL10.

2) I honestly don't recall what the Faithless are, will leave that to someone else to answer. I think you just need to hit them enough times with a weaken effect to remove whatever uber buff they are running?

3) Missions are rated against your effective skill level, which is a combination of your highest weapon skill level and the skill level of your talismans. Not what you have equipped, but what you're capable of equipping. If that makes sense at all.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

HughGRect posted:

2) I honestly don't recall what the Faithless are, will leave that to someone else to answer. I think you just need to hit them enough times with a weaken effect to remove whatever uber buff they are running?
If it's the guys in the graveyard around the church in the Shadowy Forest, then they're NM mobs. It's probably easiest to run away from them until you're about Q10 blue. I find it helps if you have contortionist to stop their annoying silence attack and Breakdown + melee weapon to stack weakened quickly.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So i took the teleporter to Solomon Island and the game never finishes loading. What do I do?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So on Solomon Island, the bomb dude and the hippie have the same faces/heads and two different voices. Are they brothers or were they just really lazy and made 2 quest givers looks the same?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

prefect posted:

How depressed are you by American Indians in lousy economic situations?

Heh, what is this about? Not depressed at all, not my problem. You Americans figure it out yourselves.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Sekenr posted:

Heh, what is this about? Not depressed at all, not my problem. You Americans figure it out yourselves.
The comment is in reference to the Wabanaki tribe who live in the trailer park in the Blue Mountains. They're a quest hub. He's saying you can either go north from the Franklin mansion to do the Orochi/CDC quests or go to the northwestern part of the map to do stuff for the Wabanaki.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Mercurius posted:

The comment is in reference to the Wabanaki tribe who live in the trailer park in the Blue Mountains. They're a quest hub. He's saying you can either go north from the Franklin mansion to do the Orochi/CDC quests or go to the northwestern part of the map to do stuff for the Wabanaki.

If you do the CDC quests, make sure you walk all the way up to the tunnel, past all the stopped cars. There's a quest there that unlocks a shortcut between Blue Mountains and Kingsmouth, and trust me, you're going to want that later.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
It also gets you a dumb lookin outfit! I didn't find it until I was done with Transylvania :downs:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Zephonith posted:

If it's the guys in the graveyard around the church in the Shadowy Forest, then they're NM mobs. It's probably easiest to run away from them until you're about Q10 blue. I find it helps if you have contortionist to stop their annoying silence attack and Breakdown + melee weapon to stack weakened quickly.
I remember clearing those guys with pistol (the business builder + magnum passive), it auto-stacks the variant of weakened that's not terribly useful against mobs (the mortal strike/healing debuff one), but it gets through their damage reduction. But yeah they're not terribly fun to fight in greens and there's no reason to kill them unless you're on the nightmare mission from one of the kids that makes you collect draculesti relics in that graveyard.

While you probably don't want to be doing nightmare missions in QL10 greens, it's possible to do so if you optimize your build for every nightmare area (weaken procs for these ghosts, no DoTs for the fungal things, hinders for padurii and hellbeasts, high tolerance to frustration for vampires, etc.)

Also yay they put the boring tactical outfits in game :hfive:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I'm starting to understand all those confusing terms in the OP like consumer & builder ability.
Went dragon for my 1st character, and not regretting it.

Still in Kingsmouth, and the priest is my favorite NPC so far.
"The Illuminati. I'm with the Illuminati.I don't have a badge or anything like that. I'm what you might a, uh, a hobbyist member"
"The code words I followed led me to forums - secret forums, forums that don't show up on Google."
"...And I'm an avid poster. A valued poster."

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

tuluk posted:

I'm starting to understand all those confusing terms in the OP like consumer & builder ability.

"The Illuminati. I'm with the Illuminati.I don't have a badge or anything like that. I'm what you might a, uh, a hobbyist member"
"The code words I followed led me to forums - secret forums, forums that don't show up on Google."

Add in something about pubbies and he's a regular goon :v:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

tuluk posted:

Once you get to the second zone, there's a private school you spend some quality time at, and the headmaster is also pretty great.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

prefect posted:

Once you get to the second zone, there's a private school you spend some quality time at, and the headmaster is also pretty great.

Carter you are beautiful and lovely and also the bees have chosen you as well please marry me

Also the Voice Acting for this game is incredible, Beaumont sells himself so drat well.

"I'd cut your head off quick and professional like but the loving bees would just sew it back on."

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
How should I be gearing myself up? I've gotten to the Savage Coast and am starting to run into trouble with mobs (especially since I seem to be very good at accidentally aggroing multiple groups) and I figure I need higher quality guns and talismans. Are crafting mats and toolkits drops only or is there a vendor somewhere that sells them? Same with in-combat consumables, anywhere to buy those?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Insert name here posted:

How should I be gearing myself up? I've gotten to the Savage Coast and am starting to run into trouble with mobs (especially since I seem to be very good at accidentally aggroing multiple groups) and I figure I need higher quality guns and talismans. Are crafting mats and toolkits drops only or is there a vendor somewhere that sells them? Same with in-combat consumables, anywhere to buy those?

I'm not sure if this is still the most relevant advice but you can save I think 50 of your Solomon Island Tokens, run to Blue Mountain and buy QL6 Blue Weapons and then run back and do the quests more easily. Other than that it's just a matter of making sure your build works and using the highest QL gear.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

I loved how they made the celebrity voiced characters look like their VAs.

And since I first saw that fellow in Re-Animator, I giggled like an, ah, schoolgirl when I saw him in TSW.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Leech healing question. I'm trying to make babby's first leech build and was looking at some thread on official site. It mentioned that 300ish hit is enough. Is it really? Just seems a bit on the low side, especially for hell dungeons. Is 300 hit + FP enough for HR leeching for example?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Insert name here posted:

Don't craft anything except endgame glyphs. But crafting mats come from disassembling gear, which you can do anytime.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

guppy posted:

Don't craft anything except endgame glyphs. But crafting mats come from disassembling gear, which you can do anytime.

Also consumables but the consensus on that used to be craft level 3 leech drinks because those cost very little and are pretty amazing if you're doing any damage at all.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
Also if you're in the Illuminati cabal, I stock up the cabal bank with q10 potions and some q10 blue gear on a fairly regular basis so feel free to just grab those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
Next Tokyo pack on Thursday according to Joel.

• Locked thread