Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

TopherCStone posted:

I believe EBMM uses Tru-oil on their necks

True, my Silhouette Special has that and it feels amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
what do bbe sonic maximizers actually do

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

muike posted:

Something kind of similar to a comb filter with some intentional group delay (frequency dependent, so it is actually kinda doing what it says on the box) to, hopefully, compensate for the crossover and whatever terrible thing it is bbeing purported to do to your sound. It can actually work nicely as a rack unit for that, post-band-mix. Help to unmuddy subs and big monitors that would, on their own, be pretty wompy/flabby sounding (does less for better designed gear that doesn't run roughshod over transients in the lows, but live sound has gotten way better since the Sonic Maximizer was invented). Though they really obfuscate its functionality it's been reversed to the point that there are daughterboard layouts in case your proprietary BBE chip croaks and you need to fix it.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

muike posted:

Makes you sound like Dimebag.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Alright, so I've been doing some more research and my lefty Warmoth Jazzmaster build is taking shape:

- Black Korina body, chambered (yay or nay?), burst finish, normal JM rout, strat heel.
- Andy Rothstein pre-wired pickguard adapted for Warmoth, two Curtis Novak pickups (good idea? Suggestions? I like the "gold foil" tone).
- Warmoth Jazzmaster neck (will it fit into the normal strat heel?). Here's where I'm most insecure as to wood choice, back contour, nut width etc. I have kinda small hands, what would you recommend?
- Other hardware (that isn't already part of the pre-wired assembly): Schaller locking tuners (do I need string trees or whatever?), 2 Tek bridge (good idea? Does it work well with compound radii?), TUSQ nut.

Thoughts? I know it'll be kind of pricey, but I don't have much of a choice as a lefty. What are the pitfalls, where am I most like to gently caress up? Are there any incompatibilities here that I haven't taken into account?

Wengy fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jun 29, 2014

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Go to a guitar store and try out EVERYTHING. Note the ones that feel good, especially neck sizes and go for that.

Speaking of Offsets:

Finally went for a Squier VI and it's a dream with a few known flaws. Got some La Bella round stainless strings on their way from the US, 25 to 96 and I'll flip the stock bridge to allow better intonation on the low E. The nut might be trickier as it's glued in pretty solid and is a messy piece of plastic poo poo with flash where the strings have melted the sides of the slots. I've got a spare graphite 42mm nut but I'm worried about getting this one out without causing damage to the neck binding. I'll also be looking for a replacement vibrato unit with the hardtail locking switch as this thing does have some tuning issues thanks to the bridge not rocking like proper vintage jag bridges should.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Will definitely do that :) I've played quite a few guitars in my time, and my Silhouette's neck feels great, it's just that the frets are a little too wide for my small hands (i. e. "Every Breath you take" is a chore to play :D). Any advice on the other points?

I wish I could try a Jazzmaster or a Jaguar, but lefties really do get screwed.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

KARMA! posted:

I'm so fortunate to not have GAS.

I've been fighting GAS for the past couple weeks, feeling that the PRS is too bright. For a while I was looking into new pickups (before questioning if it's worth spending $150 on new pickups for a $650 guitar).

Finally went to GC to test out what I had narrowed down- LPJ14, EC-1000, Solo-6 Custom. The fact GC doesn't have a solo-6 narrowed it down. The LPJ was heavy as gently caress but it played well. I liked the flat finish but they were so sloppy that they even painted some of the finish on the neck. The EC was light, and had a flat fretboard like my Ibanez. IT didn't play as well but drat did it look good. All the strings were so drat gunked up- I've never seen so much poo poo coating a set of strings- my fingers were sticking to them and the fretboard.

In the end though neither of them felt as good to play as my SE. Eventually I'll grab an S2 singlecut or Mira and block the trem just like in the custom 24 I have.

I will remain a bluesdad, happily.

Edit: I swear to god, if they ever make an S2 Hollowbody II I'll be in the car before they finish updating the website.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

OhDearGodNo posted:

The LPJ was heavy as gently caress but it played well.

I've got an SE and it more seems that the SE is light as gently caress.

The LPJ is actually weight relieved, so you should go try a Custom or something that's a solid slab of heavy (or an Agile).

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Guitar Center has a used lefty Fender Standard Telecaster for $299. I think I'm gonna pick that up today.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Seeing all the offsets on this page, could anyone recommend a cheap gig bag that would fit one?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Sockington posted:

I've got an SE and it more seems that the SE is light as gently caress.

The LPJ is actually weight relieved, so you should go try a Custom or something that's a solid slab of heavy (or an Agile).

That's what surprised me. The SE I have is extremely light, about 7 1/2 lbs. the LPJ is something around 9.

I liked playing it, and the zebra pickups sounded great, but I couldn't shake the feeling that it was built with scrap wood scavenged from the factory dumpster and assembled by interns.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I use a TSA case for my JM or rarely a cheap bass bag, but I hear good things about the not-really-cheap:
http://www.amazon.com/Rockcase-Jazz...ster+Soft+Light

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

OhDearGodNo posted:

I liked playing it, and the zebra pickups sounded great, but I couldn't shake the feeling that it was built with scrap wood scavenged from the factory dumpster and assembled by interns.
It played well, sounded great, it just wasn't made with the right darned wood.

Well shoot.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
So what's the consensus on a used guitar with a body in great shape but a neck that's a bit worn in (frets wear)? It's a good price and the right guitar for me but I'm pretty sure I'll end up replacing the neck at some point. A new neck could easily be just as much money as it will be to buy the guitar itself. I wouldn't mind making the upgrade down the road but I'm wondering if it makes more sense to pay less now for a guitar that will need work or to just pay a few hundred more and get a new model Telecaster.

Also in term of customizing, Warmoth makes some great stuff, but I would imagine it's frowned upon to stick a Warmoth neck on a Fender body or to mix and match parts from different manufacturers like that.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah you might get frowned on, even tutted at! That's when you pop a few wheelies and peel outta there, finger raised

It's your guitar, do what you like. May as well save the original parts if you need to resell it, or whatever.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

iostream.h posted:

It played well, sounded great, it just wasn't made with the right darned wood.

Well shoot.

The wood was fine. The build quality was questionable.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I blew one of my loudspeakers. I'm not sure which aspect of it is broke, could I get some advice on how easy is it to diagnose which part is broke, how badly it's broke, and my options to fix it that don't involve completely buying a new one? It's a Harbinger v2112 12" speaker for reference.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

NTT posted:

I blew one of my loudspeakers. I'm not sure which aspect of it is broke, could I get some advice on how easy is it to diagnose which part is broke, how badly it's broke, and my options to fix it that don't involve completely buying a new one? It's a Harbinger v2112 12" speaker for reference.

More details on exactly how it is broke? It doesn't turn on at all? Check the fuse.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

NTT posted:

easy and quickest check is push on the cone of the speaker gently and evenly, if it is scratchy then it's the voice coil.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
When I change channels on my POD the speaker cracks. My piezo/mono input doesn't even work. with it (it's fine and works with my other amp.) Turns on fine, it plays muffled and adds ugly distortion and buzzing.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

I think I've just been playing the wrong guitars my entire life. This thing shreads!

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

NTT posted:

When I change channels on my POD the speaker cracks. My piezo/mono input doesn't even work. with it (it's fine and works with my other amp.) Turns on fine, it plays muffled and adds ugly distortion and buzzing.

sounds like a blown speaker most likely a burnt/loose thread in the voice coil

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
So, I had an inlay dot fall out of my Squier strat. What's the best way to clean out the indent of the old adhesive and glue in a new one without doing any damage/having to do refinishing work to the fretboard? I've not played it all that much, I'm guessing it was just cheaply glued in the first place, since it's a starter model...

And can I play it while waiting for the new dot to come in? I ordered some new ones, since I seriously have no idea where it went or even when I lost it. I hadn't played for awhile, don't look at the fretboard while playing, and I apparently hadn't looked too closely at the fretboard at all until I broke high e tonight, and went to put a new string on. It's on the fifth fret, if that matters.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
is it a rosewood board?

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
Looks like it is. Should be this one.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Quinctia posted:

So, I had an inlay dot fall out of my Squier strat. What's the best way to clean out the indent of the old adhesive and glue in a new one without doing any damage/having to do refinishing work to the fretboard? I've not played it all that much, I'm guessing it was just cheaply glued in the first place, since it's a starter model...

And can I play it while waiting for the new dot to come in? I ordered some new ones, since I seriously have no idea where it went or even when I lost it. I hadn't played for awhile, don't look at the fretboard while playing, and I apparently hadn't looked too closely at the fretboard at all until I broke high e tonight, and went to put a new string on. It's on the fifth fret, if that matters.

A small metal pick to clean out the loose debris and a q-tip with some acetone should take care of it.
Just don't go crazy with the acetone, keep swabbing it out and changing q-tips until it comes out clean.
Super glue works fine to glue it back in, just a very small dot so you limit how much squeezes out/clean up.
if any does squeeze out you can let it set up then scrape it flush with a razor blade.
Hopefully the dot will be the same depth and not need any sanding to be flush.
You'll still probably have to oil the fretboard afterwards the acetone will dry it out around the new dot.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

I think I've just been playing the wrong guitars my entire life. This thing shreads!

There's something special about Telecasters for sure.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

TopherCStone posted:

There's something special about Telecasters for sure.

She is very pretty and very beautiful it's true :3

She also has a bit of hum on the bridge pickup! The listing stated there was a custom DiMarzio pickup installed and I'm definitely getting some noise coming through when I have the bridge pickup selected (unless I touch something metal on the guitar at least). I know next to nothing about pickups and tone and what would be right for my sound so I guess I have some work ahead of me. Thinking about replacing the pickups has also inspired me to think about replacing some of pots and switches inside too. Frankencaster here we come.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

She also has a bit of hum on the bridge pickup! The listing stated there was a custom DiMarzio pickup installed and I'm definitely getting some noise coming through when I have the bridge pickup selected (unless I touch something metal on the guitar at least). I know next to nothing about pickups and tone and what would be right for my sound so I guess I have some work ahead of me. Thinking about replacing the pickups has also inspired me to think about replacing some of pots and switches inside too. Frankencaster here we come.

You will get some hum on single coils no matter you do, but if you're getting less when you touch something it's probably a grounding issue on top of the usual 60hz hum.

Take the pickguard and bridge off, there should be another wire floating around in there (usually black) unattached. Solder or tape it to the nearest metal part, such as under the bridge, to ground it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Loose ground wire, look for a green one attached to a big metal thing and put some solder onto it.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
give me good basic/intermediate guitarist/bands/tabs of the surf variety to influence me to better understand how to write/play it.

I accidentally wrote a really dark sounding surf guitar riff and want to deconstruct other riffs to see if I can strike lightning twice .

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.

Thumposaurus posted:

A small metal pick to clean out the loose debris and a q-tip with some acetone...

Thanks! Just needed to check on the glue and solvent types...and I have some of the pointy swabs which should work perfectly. Googling led me to some advice I knew was idiotic. Gorilla glue. Which requires water to activate, then expands. Like I'm gonna stick that on a fretboard.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Smash it Smash hit posted:

give me good basic/intermediate guitarist/bands/tabs of the surf variety to influence me to better understand how to write/play it.

I accidentally wrote a really dark sounding surf guitar riff and want to deconstruct other riffs to see if I can strike lightning twice .

Dick Dale is the big guy but Jan and Dean are also important. Really though, any kind of "real" surf guitar can be learned from Dick Dale's stuff. Some other dope stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wq_U1Bnej4

And the second greatest surf guitarist of all time, Ray Pepperell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCiYmCVikjo

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owq7hgzna3E

bonus for probably being the most awkward "performance" ever.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

I have this book and it has a pretty nice selection http://www.amazon.com/Best-Surf-Guitar-Step---Step/dp/0634073648

You could just dig up the tab for free on the internet using those tracks as starters. Dick Dale uses a lot of the phrygian scales if you want that sound.

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/surf-guitar-basics-1

Listen to more stuff, thats always good to learn is hearing a lot of it. The Ventures, The Mermen, Los Straightjackets, Man or Astroman,

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
I was gonna say, phrygian dominant + tremolo picking will get you half way to surf music easily

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

bonus for probably being the most awkward "performance" ever.

Oh yeah?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFucCXherLg

(I was going to post the one where everyone's skipping but I can't remember the band or song, ain't surf neither. But it wins by a long shot)

Man or Astroman(?????????!) are pretty good in the sense that they're pretty much 'surf' but they cover a lot of stylistic ground. So you get more traditional sounding songs, and then things like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAm5KdMfsJI

So if you want to hear how the surf vibe can be twisted in different (and loud) directions it's worth a look

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Nup. I present you The Ventures looking fat as hell, with guest guitarist Jeff 'Skunk' Baxter who has the dubious 'honour' of being a member of Steely Dan AND The Dooby Brothers, playing Tequila while teenagers awkwardly dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXBLHTq390k

(Oh wait, we were comparing awkward...not deeply uncool)

monolithburger fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The Fender Ventures JM is really cool