Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

El Murguista posted:

This show has grown on me since I started watching. At first I thought it wasn't going anywhere especially with all the boring Dorian scenes until I realized he's originally a character from The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. It's pretty good if you like movies. I won't spoil anything but trust me it's going to be crazy.:psyboom:

This is a joke, right? I could believe somebody not knowing about an Oscar Wilde novella but praising LoXG as a good movie is too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Was this episode the final of the season?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hahaha oh you motherfuckers with that cut to credits just before she answered :allears:

It's an unmistakably trashy show but it got better with each episode and Eva Green was utterly exceptional in it, and I'll keep watching the show for her alone. Also I like that it looks like my early season hope that Caliban would turn out to be Victor's Igor pretty much came true.

Edit: My other favorite moment was in the theater when Victor cocks his gun and Ethan puts his hand on his pistol like he's saying,"Nice effort little bro, but no..."

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

AxeManiac posted:

Was this episode the final of the season?

Yes it was. As a sales pitch for a second season it came out pretty well don't you think?

Jerusalem posted:

Hahaha oh you motherfuckers with that cut to credits just before she answered :allears:

One of the best moments of the series really.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

w00tuberjedi posted:

Maybe Jekyll and Hyde.

I haven't gone back to confirm myself, but one of my coworkers said that in ep 2, when that guy has a newspaper with a headline about the Ripper returning, there's also an ad for Dr. Jekyll's magic tonic or something like that.

Edit: just checked at work, it's episode 1, about 29 mins in. It's a small ad on the back page that says "Dr. Jekyll, Medicine Practitioner" and then the rest is too small to read on my screen.

KasioDiscoRock fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 30, 2014

Domini Cane
Oct 21, 2002

You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day. You will only observe with your eyes and see the punishment of the wicked.

Jerusalem posted:

Ethan said he believed in everything but God, right? I took his doing the exorcism at the end to indicate that in his last moment of desperation he rediscovered/accepted his faith (I doubt the exorcism would have worked otherwise) or at least his hope - the fact that the pendant was the Patron Saint of Lost Causes just seems to further the idea that this was a last resort on his behalf. His backstory now looks less likely (though not impossible) to be the Wolfman and more like a fallen priest who lost his faith or otherwise was involved in some kind of scandal that forced him to flee America.

I have a theory about this. So far all the major speeches by characters have been important and get tied back into something later in the story. Ethan has had multiple references to his father, a speech about lost children who are "Indian" but "raised white", his speech on God, and his first appearance reciting the history of The Little Big Horn.

My theory is that Ethan is the bastard son of a cavalry officer who slaughtered Indians but fathered a son with a medicine woman. Conversely, said cavalry officer adopted Ethan who was the son of a medicine woman. Ethan was raised catholic and was studying to become a priest when he learns he's a werewolf. This will most likely not be the European-style "night of the werewolf" creature but rather some form of native-american "skin walker." His first transformation presumably causing the blood bath from which he is fleeing.

Potentially, when he manifested the church attempted to exorcise him of the wolf which might be an alternate explanation of his knowledge on that front.

As his native heritage kicks into high gear, Ethan flees the church, abandons God and takes up acting. At some point he learns of his heritage (as shown by his interaction with the wolves in the zoo) and eventually ends up in England.

This would explain the innate martial skills (learned from his militaristic father), his ability to commune with wolves, his knowledge of lost indian children, his knowledge of exorcism.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Jerusalem posted:

I might be way off on this but I feel like that Priest might've been the devil. The way he talked about her condition like being touched by the backhand of God, and the question in general. That coupled with his story about the exorcism and how there were no survivors, so how the gently caress did you survive then huh?

Either way he seemed sorta off.

Everything else was telegraphed to hell, but was executed quite well.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Brightman posted:

I might be way off on this but I feel like that Priest might've been the devil. The way he talked about her condition like being touched by the backhand of God, and the question in general. That coupled with his story about the exorcism and how there were no survivors, so how the gently caress did you survive then huh?

I got the same vibe. Lucifer or not, there was definitely something sinister about him. Or he's really just a spiritual masochist of sorts.

Domini Cane
Oct 21, 2002

You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day. You will only observe with your eyes and see the punishment of the wicked.

Brightman posted:

Except, maybe, that he was in a church. If we have Van Helsing, crosses, and St. Judas medalions then "consecrated ground" might be a thing.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Domini Cane posted:

Except, maybe, that he was in a church. If we have Van Helsing, crosses, and St. Judas medalions then "consecrated ground" might be a thing.

I don't remember the exact quote, but the way he mention that no one survived and no one found God there made it seem like he was Lucifer/some other demon as well. I'd say consecrated ground probably is a thing, and maybe that's it, but I feel like maybe there'd be more people that would've made it if that were the case. He could just be a priest that has seen some poo poo, so now he's weird like that, but he's still suspicious...although maybe Catholics in this are just weird, thinking back to that creepy little girl at the funeral.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Domini Cane posted:

Lucifer was the mightiest of all angels (unless you ask Michael :smug:) so I don't think he'd have a problem with being in a Church, and in fact it would suit his role as tempter and seducer taking on a form that would be trusted and respected and then corrupting it.

Still, I just think he was a kind of weird old dude with his own issues, and that like Miss Ives or Sir Murray he's seen some poo poo/done things he's not proud of and has been trying to make amends ever since.

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

Brightman posted:

Brightman posted:

I don't remember the exact quote, but the way he mention that no one survived and no one found God there made it seem like he was Lucifer/some other demon as well. I'd say consecrated ground probably is a thing, and maybe that's it, but I feel like maybe there'd be more people that would've made it if that were the case. He could just be a priest that has seen some poo poo, so now he's weird like that, but he's still suspicious...although maybe Catholics in this are just weird, thinking back to that creepy little girl at the funeral.

I didn't pick up on it that way. The vibe I got was that she has come upon a priest who really knows of where he speaks and isn't just a poseur like the last guy. I thought the scene was pretty brilliant and it would be cool if he is a recurring character of some kind.

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
It was a rather ominous scene, with the looping background strings and the priest's faint smirk when he talks of 'the glory of suffering', I was prepared for his eyes to turn black.

Good end to the episode anyway, and a pretty good TV show overall. Looking forward to next season etc.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
If they don't do The Mummy and make this guy a series regular for season two I'll be very disappointed:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Brightman posted:

I might be way off on this but I feel like that Priest might've been the devil.

The priest is John Logan, and Vanessa is the audience (and the guy holding the purse strings at Showtime).

Brightman posted:

Well of course everything in the show is telegraphed, that's the entire gimmick of a show about werewolves and vampires and Frankenstein Monsters. Did anyone notice that Ethan's wolfman plainly resembled the Lon Chaney style wolfman?

There have been some awesome surprises but for most major plot elements, we know exactly what is going to happen from episode to episode - and that's okay!

Lemon
May 22, 2003

The priest feels her pain as he is possessed by Tom Jones.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Flesh Forge posted:

The priest is John Logan, and Vanessa is the audience (and the guy holding the purse strings at Showtime).

Well of course everything in the show is telegraphed, that's the entire gimmick of a show about werewolves and vampires and Frankenstein Monsters. Did anyone notice that Ethan's wolfman plainly resembled the Lon Chaney style wolfman?

There have been some awesome surprises but for most major plot elements, we know exactly what is going to happen from episode to episode - and that's okay!

Ah finally https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhSc8qVMjKM

Regarding the priest I was totally watching his eyes to see if they would turn black. My feeling was definitely more that he was just a priest who's seen some poo poo and wanted to make sure she didn't die trying to get an exorcism when just simple dedication to prayer would do the job. Like if a crazy fat person comes into a doctor's office asking for a lap band surgery and the doctor needs to make sure they won't eat so much they pop the band and die.

Finally Friendzonestein was absolutely perfect. The shows writers HAD to have his clumsy-rear end kiss thing in mind. About the only thing I was surprised by was that he assigned any fault to himself.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

OK can someone explain to me what Friendzonestein was painting his face for? Like maybe he thought he'd make himself look less pale and freakish with a bit of makeup but he did it like they do on stage so that people in the back rows can see it. What the hell?

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

Blackchamber posted:

OK can someone explain to me what Friendzonestein was painting his face for? Like maybe he thought he'd make himself look less pale and freakish with a bit of makeup but he did it like they do on stage so that people in the back rows can see it. What the hell?

The "what the hell" is sort of the point. He doesn't really know how to use makeup, he wants to appear more attractive to Maude, and he is basically desperate and flailing. Imagine a nerdy teenager with lots of acne meeting a girl for the first time, only he has super strength and a temper. Welp.

I thought the parallels and contrasts between Caliban's rejection and Dorian's rejection were great -- Dorian is totally bewildered and confused, but for Caliban the experience (along with his own lack of control) leads him to personal insights.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The truly amazing thing about Friendzonestein is that Rory Kinnear has literally never looked so attractive in anything before.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Kazanir posted:

The "what the hell" is sort of the point. He doesn't really know how to use makeup, he wants to appear more attractive to Maude, and he is basically desperate and flailing. Imagine a nerdy teenager with lots of acne meeting a girl for the first time, only he has super strength and a temper. Welp.

I thought the parallels and contrasts between Caliban's rejection and Dorian's rejection were great -- Dorian is totally bewildered and confused, but for Caliban the experience (along with his own lack of control) leads him to personal insights.

Yeah but I mean he'd done some traveling around before he was taken in by the theater manager and he's walked around the streets to stalk Frankenstein so he's got to have seen what normal makeup looks like when its worn by normal people. Then instead of emulating that he mashes it on his face like clown makeup. If 'what the hell' was the point, mission accomplished. Most baffling part of that episode for me.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Blackchamber posted:

Yeah but I mean he'd done some traveling around before he was taken in by the theater manager and he's walked around the streets to stalk Frankenstein so he's got to have seen what normal makeup looks like when its worn by normal people. Then instead of emulating that he mashes it on his face like clown makeup. If 'what the hell' was the point, mission accomplished. Most baffling part of that episode for me.

But Maude obviously wears theatre makeup, and likes Simon who wears theatre makeup, which is why Caliban's trying to emulate that look. He thinks that's what Maude wants.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Blackchamber posted:

He is a literal manchild, while he's picked up a number of "book skills" he is almost totally unsocialized and has no loving idea how to comport himself. Probably nearly all he knows about social interactions came from watching the plays he's been stage-handing for. The makeup made perfect sense to me in that context.

NB: the makeup he put on is an approximation of stage makeup, which looks really weird in normal lighting, and also he did a crappy job of it presumably because he's only observed it and never actually touched the stuff before

Honorific!
Jul 5, 2007

Well played, Goonsire!
Maybe I'm dumb and everyone else thinks this is obvious, but did Sir Malcom mean that he was Vanessa's real father? Or just that he still cared about her like a father in spite of everything? I honestly couldn't tell.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Honorific! posted:

Maybe I'm dumb and everyone else thinks this is obvious, but did Sir Malcom mean that he was Vanessa's real father? Or just that he still cared about her like a father in spite of everything? I honestly couldn't tell.

Nah, I don't think that was what we were supposed to gleam from that line. Instead I believe it's just that Malcolm was accepting Vanessa as the "daughter he deserves" (his own words) and vaguely forgiving Vanessa for loving up his/their family so much.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
io9 has another good recap up, and the chart of relationships is hilarious.

http://io9.com/penny-dreadfuls-season-finale-leaves-us-with-a-zillion-1598137422

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Honorific! posted:

I also wondered what the hell he was getting at. I think he's saying that he already has a daughter in what she used to be, and he doesn't want the abomination she became.

Even though he was sleeping with Vanessa's mom later in life, I doubt he'd allow his son to court her if there was a chance they were half-siblings.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Mouse Dresser posted:

http://io9.com/penny-dreadfuls-season-finale-leaves-us-with-a-zillion-1598137422

I love that all of Dorian's involvement can either be described as "made out/making out" or "some other messed up business"

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

nutranurse posted:

I love that all of Dorian's involvement can either be described as "made out/making out" or "some other messed up business"

I just like that the eccentric Egyptologist is too good for this poo poo.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Honorific! posted:

Well, he was schtupping her mom, so I've been expecting that reveal all season.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Here's my "theory" on Ethan

He's a cursed priest. He was with the US Army and participated or at least watched the slaughter of Indians and was cursed by Indians.

Anyway really enjoyed the hell out of this show, really great and the 8 episode structure was perfect. I hope they don't extend it at all.

I also really like that we have not seen the true "master" yet.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
This episode was glorious. Also:

"Do you really want to be normal?"

What a great loving priest.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
I love these recaps so much.

I don't know if this is public knowledge yet, but the deleted scene with Lyle and Madame Kali that is mentioned in the article is going to be shown at a very large event where you'd expect to see things like teasers for the next season. And it's definitely an interesting scene.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
You have my attention. Looking forward to that.

Also, here's to Lyle joining the core cast.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Great ending. I liked that it ended on beginnings and revelations that didn't tie anything up too neatly.

Also, I have fallen in love with the way Eva Green speaks slightly out of the left side of her mouth at certain points.

And her eyes when she was talking to the priest :swoon:

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Flesh Forge posted:

I didn't get a good look at that during the show but that is basically pitch perfect.

The more I think about it the more it seems the priest had most likely seen some serious poo poo and that's that.

Mouse Dresser posted:

This is close, but wrong.

Fixed.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Flesh Forge posted:

Yes it was. As a sales pitch for a second season it came out pretty well don't you think?

I guess that was me being hopeful there was more, but man, I like this show! It's really good. Looking forward to S2!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alright, so...

I binged the whole thing in a day. I have one question.

Can someone explain to me like i am 5, what the loving gently caress it was about?

On the other hand, this guy was the tits

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 6, 2014

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Rocksicles posted:

Alright, so...

I binged the whole thing in a day. I have one question.

Can someone explain to me like i am 5, what the loving gently caress it was about?

On the other hand, this guy was the tits

Same here. I groaned the first episode (Vampires LOL!) but then after a few more episodes it was the movie Van Helsing (2003), but well written and a television series that puts all of your favorite monster tropes into one show and tries to rely on character instead of plot.

If they can make the characters the focus instead of the plot then I think it will be good. I hope they explore more of Vanessa Ives' family (the flashback episode was awesome) and I hope we get a Timothy Dalton POV flashback episode of his travels through Africa next season. Harnett I think is good when given good material, so I hope they write more for him next season and I think they will given his father's telegram and the fallout of the Pinkerton mercs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I zoned out hard when Eva Green is bed ridden for another episode or 3.

• Locked thread