Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I just bought a house, and the previous owners replaced the coil electric stove with a glass top electric stove.
I don't have a NG line in the area for anything approaching a reasonable cost (I think I'd have to pay to get it branched off from the main junction and $10k for a NG stove doesn't sound really practical).

I will eventually be looking at replacing with either a propane fueled range/oven, or an induction cooktop and ??? oven.

I have cooked on NG before and it's great. I haven't cooked extensively on propane, any significant difference?

The claim to fame on induction ranges is that they boil water super fast. Which is cool and all, but... how are they for doing cooking other than boiling water? Every bit of my good cookware is ferrous, so that isn't a concern.

I have some coworkers with an induction range, I'm sure I could beg my way into cooking for them or something, to try out the range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Happiness Commando posted:

Pilot light. I could blow them out and ventilate well while its soaking

Spray the degreaser on a rag and wipe. You don't need to put out the pilot, even. As long as you aren't spraying absurd amounts of degreaser everywhere, it's not a big deal.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

I like turtles posted:

I just bought a house, and the previous owners replaced the coil electric stove with a glass top electric stove.
I don't have a NG line in the area for anything approaching a reasonable cost (I think I'd have to pay to get it branched off from the main junction and $10k for a NG stove doesn't sound really practical).

I will eventually be looking at replacing with either a propane fueled range/oven, or an induction cooktop and ??? oven.

I have cooked on NG before and it's great. I haven't cooked extensively on propane, any significant difference?

The claim to fame on induction ranges is that they boil water super fast. Which is cool and all, but... how are they for doing cooking other than boiling water? Every bit of my good cookware is ferrous, so that isn't a concern.

I have some coworkers with an induction range, I'm sure I could beg my way into cooking for them or something, to try out the range.
Induction is one of the very few electric ranges that I've ever seen that will respond as quickly as gas will. Propane vs natural gas isn't going to be an appreciable difference, to be honest.

If you've got all magnets cookware, get the induction range, and get an electric convection oven. Tada, problem solved.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Does anyone have some chicken alfredo tips they want to pass along?

I usually do mushrooms/garlic/tomato, add half and half and a bunch of shredded parmesan, and throw in a handful of spinach and chopped blackened chicken in at the end. But it seems so...pedestrian.

Should I add peas or broccoli? Ditch the tomato? Add nutmeg? What's the essential herb to add? Different kind of cheese? Are fettuccine noodles a necessity or should I use spirals or something else? Is it okay to make this all in one pan? Should I use a roux with flour as a base?

elia
Oct 30, 2008

So a friend of mine is going home to France for a few weeks and is offering to bring me something back. His family is around Lyon - can't remember the exact town.

Problem is: I have no idea what to ask him to bring me back and was looking for suggestions. Cheese is off the table as he doesn't want to deal with customs and a giant truffle is too pricey. I enjoy beer and baking.

Any ideas?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Bob Morales posted:

Does anyone have some chicken alfredo tips they want to pass along?

I usually do mushrooms/garlic/tomato, add half and half and a bunch of shredded parmesan, and throw in a handful of spinach and chopped blackened chicken in at the end. But it seems so...pedestrian.

Should I add peas or broccoli? Ditch the tomato? Add nutmeg? What's the essential herb to add? Different kind of cheese? Are fettuccine noodles a necessity or should I use spirals or something else? Is it okay to make this all in one pan? Should I use a roux with flour as a base?

Alfredo is simple food; Butter, Cream, Cheese, Salt, Pepper, Nutmeg. If we're talking just making an Alfredo sauce, that's all you really need for a basic, bare bones recipe. Go easy on the nutmeg, a little goes a long way. Adding garlic seems obvious.

When you add mushrooms, what kind, and are you adding them to the sauce uncooked, or sauteed or cooked some other way? Tomatoes I'd say should go, especially if they are fresh, but some sun dried ones added at the end would be pretty good.

There's no rule that says it has to be served over fettuccine, any pasta is fine. Your completed dish will not leap out of the bowl and throw itself in the trash because you did it "wrong".

If you wanted to go one pan (and a couple bowls) you could do the following:
1. Saute your mushrooms - remove from pan
2. Cook the garlic briefly in a little butter
3. Add the rest of the butter and let it melt
4. Add the cream and simmer for a minute or until it starts to thicken
5. Add Salt, Pepper and Nutmeg - Stir
6. Remove from heat, add cheese - stir until melted
7. Add mushrooms and cooked pasta - stir to combine
8. Portion pasta and top with cooked chicken and spinach.

I wouldn't do a roux though. There's no need in this case.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

elia posted:

So a friend of mine is going home to France for a few weeks and is offering to bring me something back. His family is around Lyon - can't remember the exact town.

Problem is: I have no idea what to ask him to bring me back and was looking for suggestions. Cheese is off the table as he doesn't want to deal with customs and a giant truffle is too pricey. I enjoy beer and baking.

Any ideas?
Do you drink wine? The Beaujolais red is supposed to be very good from that region. If not, my go-to preference is usually a local cookbook. Even if I can't read the language, I love those with pretty pictures. Besides, it gives you incentive to learn a new language, limited as it may be.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

elia posted:

Any ideas?

(jars and cans of) foie gras and duck confit

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

dino. posted:

Induction is one of the very few electric ranges that I've ever seen that will respond as quickly as gas will. Propane vs natural gas isn't going to be an appreciable difference, to be honest.

If you've got all magnets cookware, get the induction range, and get an electric convection oven. Tada, problem solved.

Awesome, thanks dino. I may go nuts a few years and get a combi-oven home model too. They're down in the 3500-$5k range, which is still a fat chunk of change to drop on an oven but is at least something fathomable.
Now I just need to find a combination free standing combi-oven and induction range...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I have a... lot of arugula and I guess it is going to get made into pesto. I've found lots of recipes on this, all some variation of arugula, oil, nuts and some type of cheese. Does anyone have a particular favorite? Also thoughts on how long I could store this / does it freeze well?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Breaky posted:

I have a... lot of arugula and I guess it is going to get made into pesto. I've found lots of recipes on this, all some variation of arugula, oil, nuts and some type of cheese. Does anyone have a particular favorite? Also thoughts on how long I could store this / does it freeze well?

Pesto freezes amazingly well. My mom used to make huge batches of your typical basil variety and freeze single-sized portions that I would microwave any time we had pasta because I was a weird kid who much preferred pesto to red sauce. I still do, to be honest, but that's neither here nor there.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

With the price of meat skyrocketing right now, and my general fat-assery and broke-assery, I'm trying to get ideas for relatively inexpensive vegetarian cooking. I see there's no thread for that in GWS, so I guess this is an interest check on having a vegetarian cooking/recipe thread. I'm totally fine with making an OP for it, but if there's any actual vegetarians out there who want to make it into an info thread instead of a "begging for recipes" thread, feel free to make the thread and I'll gladly join in.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

neogeo0823 posted:

With the price of meat skyrocketing right now, and my general fat-assery and broke-assery, I'm trying to get ideas for relatively inexpensive vegetarian cooking. I see there's no thread for that in GWS, so I guess this is an interest check on having a vegetarian cooking/recipe thread. I'm totally fine with making an OP for it, but if there's any actual vegetarians out there who want to make it into an info thread instead of a "begging for recipes" thread, feel free to make the thread and I'll gladly join in.

This should cover you. It's not necessarily purely vegetarian but since meat is expensive, a lot of/most dishes in that thread are either meatless or contain small amounts of it that can easily be omitted or substituted.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

The Midniter posted:

This should cover you. It's not necessarily purely vegetarian but since meat is expensive, a lot of/most dishes in that thread are either meatless or contain small amounts of it that can easily be omitted or substituted.

Yeah, that thread's a really good read, and I have it in my bookmarks already. Eh, I guess I'll just go ask in there for vegetarian recipes.

elia
Oct 30, 2008

kinmik posted:

Do you drink wine? The Beaujolais red is supposed to be very good from that region. If not, my go-to preference is usually a local cookbook. Even if I can't read the language, I love those with pretty pictures. Besides, it gives you incentive to learn a new language, limited as it may be.

paraquat posted:

(jars and cans of) foie gras and duck confit

Thanks guys. I ended up requesting he snag any family recipes he could get his hands on with a local cookbook as an acceptable alternative.

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000
Looking for a recipe manager (preferably Android but iOS works too) that can handle text imports. Mom's got decades worth of clipped recipes, and while I don't mind typing them up and exporting from a keyboard, no fuckin way am I doing that from a tablet.

Paprika looks amazing but it seems I'd have to buy 2 copies, once on OSX and again on mobile?

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
You could look into Evernote I guess? Not strictly for recipes, but I use it for that and it works very well. I usually copy recipes from blogs or similar on my pc, and then sync it to my android tablet. Works very well in my opinion.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

JohnnyTreachery posted:

Looking for a recipe manager (preferably Android but iOS works too) that can handle text imports. Mom's got decades worth of clipped recipes, and while I don't mind typing them up and exporting from a keyboard, no fuckin way am I doing that from a tablet.

Paprika looks amazing but it seems I'd have to buy 2 copies, once on OSX and again on mobile?

Pepperplate works well and is cross platform, but you will need to copy-paste three items per recipe (recipe name/source/details, ingredients, instructions). It also allows direct importing from tons of websites, and the bookmarklet pops up a wizard if the site isn't supported.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

JohnnyTreachery posted:

Paprika's definitely amazing. I do all my importing/entry on the desktop version (dead easy) and sync (seamlessly) to the iPad for using as a paperless cookbook in the kitchen. You would have to pay twice for the desktop and mobile versions but it's only around $25 total which is gently caress all for what you get. I honestly don't work for them, but I can't recommend it highly enough.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

CzarChasm posted:

6. Remove from heat, add cheese - stir until melted
Did not add enough cheese. 1/2 cup instead of 3/4 or so, so the sauce was a bit thin. Also I think I went a little crazy with how much other poo poo I added in. Should have used just peas. Spinach peas toms mushrooms was just too much.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Alfredo is generally rich enough that you want to keep it simple. I love Alfredo with broccoli and chicken, it's quick, simple, and tastes great together with just a bit of extra pepper sprinkled on at the table.

A lot of the richer Italian sauces are that way. The best carbonara (egg and cheese) just uses a little pancetta and garlic to add to the flavor, but still keeps the Pecorino Romano as the highlight. Some people add peas which tastes good, but is honestly not necessary.

Daedalus Esquire fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 1, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I also got a new pepper grinder at the grocery store and the chunks were all huge I think it's missing the adjusting dial. WHAT A TERRIBLE NIGHT IT WAS

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I'm planning on making a batch of boiled pork won tons today and freeze the extras for use in miso soups. Should I cook them partly or in full before freezing? I'm thinking just boil them for a minute or so to seal them, and thaw + finish cooking them in dashi.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Jan posted:

I'm planning on making a batch of boiled pork won tons today and freeze the extras for use in miso soups. Should I cook them partly or in full before freezing? I'm thinking just boil them for a minute or so to seal them, and thaw + finish cooking them in dashi.

Why cook them at all? I never cook my dumplings prior to freezing.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Mine go straight from the freeze into the pot. Freeze separately on trays, then put into bags when frozen. Do not skip this step.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Who keeps pulling my favorite recipes down from the GWS wiki? I keep having to go to the wayback machine to make General Tso's, Sesame Chicken, Pad Thai and so on

Please stop deleting at request from the author because the author is wrong and a fundamentally bad person

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

gggiiimmmppp posted:

Who keeps pulling my favorite recipes down from the GWS wiki? I keep having to go to the wayback machine to make General Tso's, Sesame Chicken, Pad Thai and so on

Please stop deleting at request from the author because the author is wrong and a fundamentally bad person

if you're looking for the wiki pad thai you could probably just fill a pint glass with half sriracha half sugar and call it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

if you're looking for the wiki pad thai you could probably just fill a pint glass with half sriracha half sugar and call it.

the trick was to use chili paste even though the recipe had a photo of sriracha

that one I can take or leave but the sesame chicken recipe is precious to me

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 1, 2014

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

gggiiimmmppp posted:

The author requested that I take them down because he was opening a restaurant. I had no objections.

Toast fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 1, 2014

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Toast posted:

The author requested that I take them down because he was opening a restaurant. I had no objections.

Picturing the yelp review of someone serving gwswiki pad Thai. And it's hilarious.

Shif
Aug 12, 2013
Are there any decent approaches or recipes to improve some of the standard Classico/Ragu red sauces to make them taste somewhat decent? I would most likely add them to elbows, angel hair, penne, etc.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Red wine vinegar usually helps. Fresh garlic/tomatoes/onions. Bell peppers?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Shif posted:

Are there any decent approaches or recipes to improve some of the standard Classico/Ragu red sauces to make them taste somewhat decent? I would most likely add them to elbows, angel hair, penne, etc.
This might not be what you want to hear, but just buying a can of romas and heating them in a sauté or fry pan until they turn into sauce is fuckoff easy and will give you a better basic red pasta sauce than anything you'll get from the store in a can.

To this basic sauce you'll want to add something(s) for flavour---garlic, basil, oregano, bay, wine, onion, crushed red pepper, fresh peppers, whatever the gently caress.

And fish sauce. Where you see tomato, think fish sauce.

But seriously most of the flavour in a red sauce is, unsurprisingly, in the tomatoes. So the biggest marginal improvement you can get is by using better/fresher tomatoes. With romas you can buy a can of San Marzanos that'll be on par with what you're likely to get fresh anyway, and you can get the conveniently already prepped for you if you don't want to blanch/concasse them yourself.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

Shif posted:

Basically what subg said... while you can make store sauce better by basically adding more flavouring ingredients you're going to get a better result just buying the tomatoes and doing the same thing.

Note that if you want you can just make a large batch and can or freeze some if you want really quick meal setups.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Midniter posted:

Pesto freezes amazingly well. My mom used to make huge batches of your typical basil variety and freeze single-sized portions that I would microwave any time we had pasta because I was a weird kid who much preferred pesto to red sauce. I still do, to be honest, but that's neither here nor there.

This was the end result. Did a test batch and froze half of it, keeping half and tomorrow will marinade some chicken thighs in it and reserve some to toss in some pasta with the same chicken.

I've got like... 20x more arugula to go through. Just used an amalgam recipe here of 2 packed cups of arugula, 3/4 cups olive oil, 1/3 cup parmesan, 2 cloves garlic, 1/3 cup pecans (I had a huge bag saved from a visit home where we grow them). The bitterness of the arugula was more than I was anticipating and I found it balanced out with a little salt, black pepper and a few dashes of balsamic. Pretty good stuff overall. Any thoughts on the recipe / additions or omissions?

Any idea how long this will keep in the fridge?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Rurutia posted:

Why cook them at all? I never cook my dumplings prior to freezing.

Eh, it's just what I vaguely recall doing over ten years ago when I was helping out my mother doing egg rolls and wontons. The wrappers wouldn't stay closed unless we cooked them a bit. But this might be because we weren't using good wrappers.

In any event, I ended up making the filling using the same egg roll recipe. That recipe was meant to make 60+ egg rolls, so I did 1/4 a recipe... Still ended up with too much filling and went through my package of wrappers. Since it was Canada Day, I dashed to the local asian/natural food markets before closing, only to find out that they were all out of won ton wrappers. :argh:

I ended up doing small egg rolls with the other half of the filling. I tried using the egg roll wrappers to do more won tons, but it turns out that egg roll paste dissolves when boiled. I was trying to avoid egg rolls because gently caress frying stuff in 35°C weather. Oh well, at least the egg rolls turned out delicious.

Sjurygg posted:

Freeze separately on trays, then put into bags when frozen. Do not skip this step.

Yeah, I found this the hard way when doing some fresh ravioli. I thought sprinkling some flour over each layer of wax paper + raviolis would do the trick but nope. :gonk:

Twerp
Feb 25, 2011
What grilling recipes would you folks recommend for somebody who's never touched a grill in their life before? I've been tapped for the holiday grilling this year for the family, and while I'm thrilled at the chance to try something new, I've really got no clue where to begin. What're some good battle-tested recipes that'll feed & please 6 - 10 people? They've got an electric grill, if that changes anything.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Grilled bananas are impossible to gently caress up. Put them on the grill whole, turn over now and then and wait until they split open. Then cut and sprinkle with brown sugar or top with whipped cream or something.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Pork spare ribs are pretty hard to gently caress up as well, not the whole rack of ribs mind you. Even if you burn them a bit pork is pretty forgiving. Also it's cheap enough you can buy extra and sacrifice a few until you figure out the proper cooking times etc.

They are super easy to work with, you can just baste them with some storebought BBQ sauce or you can marinade them with a little soy sauce, sugar and chopped ginger or with mustard and hot sauce or just rub them with a bunch of sriracha etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Breaky posted:

Pork spare ribs are pretty hard to gently caress up as well

I humbly disagree. Ribs (spare or baby back), pulled pork, beef brisket are all slow cooking endeavours and require careful temperature control. Sure, you can slather them in liquid or foil them or otherwise rely on cheap tricks, but if you're doing that, you might as well go with easy cuts of meat like pork fillets, chicken breasts or beef flank steak.

For a barbecue sauce, I learned of this ridiculously simple base a while ago: 1 part ketchup, 1 part molasses, 1 part american mustard. I've been improvising around that theme, currently trying to nail down a similar mix of ketchup, molasses, dijon mustard, anchovy paste and rosemary powder. Anchovy paste has been my cheat code for many sauces ever since I discovered Caesar dressing simply can't be made without it.

Jan fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 3, 2014