Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Bugsy posted:

Aether Spiral/Twister
3UU - Rare
Instant
For each attacking creature, its owner chooses to put it on the top or bottom of his or her deck.

37 seconds in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y-BHbugBfk

Well that's going to be a pain in the rear end....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
And the string of blue getting stupidly good bounce continues. Really not loving the thought of Superstandard Esper decks.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Bugsy posted:

Aether Spiral/Twister
3UU - Rare
Instant
For each attacking creature, its owner chooses to put it on the top or bottom of his or her deck.

37 seconds in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y-BHbugBfk

Blue needs more wraths imo.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Standard schmandard, that baby's going right into an EDH deck. Dunks their combat commander and everything else that swung in.

Also: My LGS' stance on preregs for prereleases is something like: If you prereg, you get a voucher for a free pack when the set releases, and the midnight Friday prerelease is preregs only (though they'll accept preregs for it up until I think 11PM that night to give them some time to get everything set up and running, since the midnight events need to go a little swifter by virtue of being allnighters)

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
What exactly is the purpose of a playmat?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

That card seems really, really power; way better than Evacuation.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

ThirdEmperor posted:

And the string of blue getting stupidly good bounce continues. Really not loving the thought of Superstandard Esper decks.

You don't have to let them wrath you. Make them blow it on one or two of your creatures then follow up with the rest. Most decks that would be unavoidably blown out by this would also be blown out by Supreme Verdict.

Elyv posted:

That card seems really, really power; way better than Evacuation.

It can really get an unsuspecting opponent but I do not think it is the instant speed wrath that it looks like on the surface. If you are behind on board and need a wrath, this is not a wrath, a savvy opponent will not overcommit to the red zone against open 3UU in a control deck.
To me it seems like a bad wrath impersonation in an era where decks have a million ways to pressure the opponent without getting blown out by a sweeper. I can see it being techy in a race situation though, like two mono blue decks swinging past each other.

Lord Of Texas fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 30, 2014

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Aranan posted:

Every FLGS table is fuckin' filthy.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Aranan posted:

Looks nice, protects your cards from table grime and the like, keeps your cards from slipping.

Mostly, it's to make me covet it.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Aranan posted:

1. Keep your cards or expensive sleeves off a table that might be covered in soda residue, crumbs, grease, dirt, etc.
2. Brag about events that you've won or been to.
3. Show off a piece of art that you happen to like.
4. Show off that you love horrible poo poo like loli harem anime that has skimpily dressed little girls, but it's ok, Because she's secretly 800 years old, or My Little Pony.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Aranan posted:

At SCG Columbus there were some tables that were just covered in splintered edges, it was a pain in the rear end to tap cards.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
I'll also add that picking up cards that lay flat on non-textured table without bending them is difficult for a lot of people

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
Gavin Verhey just confirmed there's a new legendary 5-colored sliver on the way,

quote:

quote:

Word on the street is you have a new 5-color legendary sliver. Maybe you could show it on your tumblr a day early?
It’s true! I can confirm my article tonight will reveal the 5-color sliver!

I have to keep my fingers sealed on what exactly it does until my article goes up tonight, but I will say this: I think it’s definitely the strongest 5-color Sliver we’ve ever made.
http://gavinverhey.tumblr.com/post/90387848466/word-on-the-street-is-you-have-a-new-5-color-legendary

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Alright, that makes sense. I only really ever play on tables in my house/friends' houses, so I haven't had to deal with splintered monstrosities covered in Cheeto dust and sticky soda residue.

[edit] Yes, I am a filthy "kitchen table" player.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Aranan posted:

Alright, that makes sense. I only really ever play on tables in my house/friends' houses, so I haven't had to deal with splintered monstrosities covered in Cheeto dust and sticky soda residue.

[edit] Yes, I am a filthy "kitchen table" player.

Its not just a Magic thing, Poker tables have surfaces very similar to playmats, grime or not, they just slide/pick up better.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Well that's going to be a pain in the rear end....

Don't like it or the idea of playing around it, just the threat of it seems way too oppressive.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

homerlaw posted:

Gavin Verhey just confirmed there's a new legendary 5-colored sliver on the way,

It’s true! I can confirm my article tonight will reveal the 5-color sliver!

I have to keep my fingers sealed on what exactly it does until my article goes up tonight, but I will say this: I think it’s definitely the strongest 5-color Sliver we’ve ever made.
http://gavinverhey.tumblr.com/post/90387848466/word-on-the-street-is-you-have-a-new-5-color-legendary

Stronger than Sliver Queen and Sliver Overlord? Yikes, that's pretty nutty. I hope it's not just hype.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Scavenge seems like such a downgrade from dredge. [/randomobservationsfromalapsedplayer]

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Rinkles posted:

Scavenge seems like such a downgrade from dredge. [/randomobservationsfromalapsedplayer]

Most mechanics do.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Rinkles posted:

The point was mostly that Scavenge had the right flavor and could compliment Dredge in a way.

Also everything is a downgrade from Dredge.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Stronger than Sliver Queen and Sliver Overlord? Yikes, that's pretty nutty. I hope it's not just hype.

I've been looking for a five-color general, Wizards. Make my day. :getin:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Was Golgari at all popular during Return? Seems rather unexciting in the second iteration.

I bought the Izzet vs. Golgari duel deck. Looks like a fairly good value, and has some fun cards (tons of singles).

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Rinkles posted:

Was Golgari at all popular during Return? Seems rather unexciting in the second iteration.

I bought the Izzet vs. Golgari duel deck. Looks like a fairly good value, and has some fun cards (tons of singles).

The best cards for older formats out of RTR were Golgari cards, though in Standard specifically the Azorius cards have been a bigger deal.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cernunnos posted:

The point was mostly that Scavenge had the right flavor and could compliment Dredge in a way.

But the scavenge costs are very high on most cards. It'd probably be broken otherwise, but what they went with seems marginal.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Rinkles posted:

Considering that Dredge decks tend to be the most powerful in any format they exist in, and the reason they don't dominate is graveyard hate in sideboards, I'd say it's a good thing Scavenge got stepped down a bit.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Rinkles posted:

Don't think it made an impression in Return to Ravnica standard, but there are BG decks around now using a few good cards like Golgari charm and the odd Vraska added to the solid monoblack frame, with the excellent IMO Reaper of the Wilds from Theros.

Then again, I don't think any of the really established RTR decks were built around guild mechanics, more the rich manabase was used to power 3+ colour decks.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Rinkles posted:

The Golgari Mechanic didn't really make that big of a splash in constructed (except for some Varolz decks), but Golgari Charm, Abrupt Decay, and -especially- Deathrite Shaman have all made large impacts on constructed.Deathrite Shaman actually found itself banned in Modern for doing Golgari things.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Rinkles posted:

It was better when Thragtusk was Standard-legal (as were a lot of decks splashing green that weren't Naya Blitz or Saito Gruul), but it was more of a black-green goodstuff than any sort of dedicated 'Golgari' build.

EDIT: For my part, I built a pretty fun Jund Scavengers deck with the Golgari legend that gives everything Scavenge with stuff like Vexing Devil and Desecration Demon to make everything big for cheap.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Deathrite Shaman is another card that's hard to believe got printed in its current form.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Dreg Mangler saw a bit of play.

Really, none of the mechanics from RtR other than Overload have made much of a lasting impact on Standard.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Rinkles posted:

Deathrite Shaman is another card that's hard to believe got printed in its current form.

Actually, it got printed as powerful as it is specifically because Ken Nagle wanted to print a solid anti-Dredge card.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Considering that Dredge decks tend to be the most powerful in any format they exist in, and the reason they don't dominate is graveyard hate in sideboards, I'd say it's a good thing Scavenge got stepped down a bit.

I think for example with Legacy, hate being so abundant, most players don't even consider it a realistic option. That has really shifted the perspective and a lot of people just don't think of Dredge as a powerful or even good deck.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Not a great card, but I love the artwork. I love the skull.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Froghammer posted:

Dreg Mangler saw a bit of play.

Really, none of the mechanics from RtR other than Overload have made much of a lasting impact on Standard.

Oh yeah, Mangler was/is a beast, but even the statement "Overload made an impact on Standard" is only talking about 2 cards, maybe 3.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Actually, it got printed as powerful as it is specifically because Ken Nagle wanted to print a solid anti-Dredge card.

It's also a great compliment to a dredge deck, if you're playing one.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Rinkles posted:

Grisly Salvage has been played in standard since it was first printed, and its seen a little modern play (in admittedly bad decks). There have been some b/g aggro and midrange decks in standard but they were never that great. The Predator Ooze deck was probably the best of them, but its was just b/g and wasn't really Golgari. Putrefy still sees a bit of play but it isn't widely played as artifacts aren't really being played.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Rinkles posted:

It's also a great compliment to a dredge deck, if you're playing one.

Not in Legacy or Vintage, which are the formats where Dredge really shines. In Legacy Dredge you cast a one-mana spell to get 20 cards, in Vintage Dredge you have a land that taps to give you 10 cards.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Not in Legacy or Vintage, which are the formats where Dredge really shines. In Legacy Dredge you cast a one-mana spell to get 20 cards, in Vintage Dredge you have a land that taps to give you 10 cards.

How would that make it a bad card to have in a dredge deck? Just gives him more ammo to choose from.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
And then there's Breakfast Burrito which is kinda like Dredge's bastard son that it never really wanted but still keeps around anyway because he's amusing if nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Rinkles posted:

How would that make it a bad card to have in a dredge deck? Just gives him more ammo to choose from.

I'm not sure you understand how a Dredge deck works. In this instance we are referring to decks that revolve around the actual Dredge mechanic, not a collection of GB graveyard centered cards.

Deathrite Shaman would not add much of anything to a Dredge deck. Dredge wants, well Dredgers, methods to get Dredgers into the graveyard, Looting, and powerful graveyard effects like Dread Return or Cabal Therapy, Easily Returned creatures like Ichorid and Bloodghast, or cards that care about being milled like Narcomoeba.

Shammy is none of those things.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 30, 2014

• Locked thread