Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They've stopped using the 10 commandments lately. Its part of the reason their stores are going down the drain even quicker. Chasing money is all the care about now.

About 4 months ago a directive was issued that you couldnt charge for any event in store, which a lot of managers reacted badly too. A good favourite of theres was scenery/battleforce workshops, where you'd pay a premium on top of the product but you'd get to spend all day in the store with staff helping you build and paint your stuff, using store materials.

You are no longer allowed to charge for anything that is not product in store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
What idiot thought that policy would make good economic sense?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TheChirurgeon posted:

What idiot thought that policy would make good economic sense?

It wasnt my relative.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

serious gaylord posted:

So the store is doing fine despite stopping open gaming? Interesting.

Fine as in, it's still open, and people order their direct order items from them sometimes, because it's basically the only way to get them now. I wouldn't guess the store actually makes any profit, because there are at least 5 other game shops in a 25 mile area around it, who all have discounts, and who let you actually play the game. I seriously expect this is one of those "operating at a loss" stores that others cover for, because the few times I was in there, no one else was except the manager. Dude also mentioned how slow it always was, etc. All anecdotal of course, but there sure seem to be a lot of similar stories.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

There was an old thread that mocked Games Workshop, I remember reading a long time ago. I've tried searching and I have archives but I can't find it. Does anyone know how I can get it?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

GBS: new rulebook comes out this week hth.

E: actually nvm it's also full of dudes unironically posting large sets of pics because they think it looks cool. I'm afraid the thread you want never existed

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 27, 2014

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

The Gate posted:

Fine as in, it's still open, and people order their direct order items from them sometimes, because it's basically the only way to get them now. I wouldn't guess the store actually makes any profit, because there are at least 5 other game shops in a 25 mile area around it, who all have discounts, and who let you actually play the game. I seriously expect this is one of those "operating at a loss" stores that others cover for, because the few times I was in there, no one else was except the manager. Dude also mentioned how slow it always was, etc. All anecdotal of course, but there sure seem to be a lot of similar stories.

You live in the Research Triangle, don't you?

From my subjective experience, there is no way in which the other area FLGSs are not better than the GW store except in getting direct order items. That GW store is in a depressing as hell strip mall that is not near anything else interesting, it feels tiny and cramped even though it's actually a decent size, and every single time I go there I feel pressured into buying something by the staff. Conversely, the other stores are cheaper (as you note) and in a better location and have real-life gaming communities there; AE in particular is just a fun place to be, and not just because they have a liquor license.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Thanks for looking! I saw the rulebook one, I'm sure the title was along the lines of "GW is a lovely company...here's why" and detailed their shady business practises (like having to buy blister packs of stuff no-one would want to buy if you were a retailer) etc.

Oh well, I've no idea where I read it then!

BigHandsVince fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 27, 2014

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Apollodorus posted:

You live in the Research Triangle, don't you?

From my subjective experience, there is no way in which the other area FLGSs are not better than the GW store except in getting direct order items. That GW store is in a depressing as hell strip mall that is not near anything else interesting, it feels tiny and cramped even though it's actually a decent size, and every single time I go there I feel pressured into buying something by the staff. Conversely, the other stores are cheaper (as you note) and in a better location and have real-life gaming communities there; AE in particular is just a fun place to be, and not just because they have a liquor license.

Yuuuuuup! I used to live really close to AE, but I moved to Cary and have mostly been playing X-Wing (and now a bit of FoW) at Gamer's Armory. I keep hoping something from GW will entice me back, but it just seems to keep getting worse. The Ork release seems pretty alright at least, though it came with the usual randomly assigned buffs and nerfs and random wacky table.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
No games day this year from looks of things. Going to say death date December 25th 2014 as a Christmas present to us all

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

drat, Games Day is their big chance to say "look how viable a company we are!"

It's this the first year they've skipped?

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
A few people are saying that they've skipped them in the past, but no-one's been able to say what year.

Also bear in mind that we don't know for definite that it's cancelled, but it's looking very likely. After last years disaster it's no surprise.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If their stopping Gamesday I seriously think that's to have a cut to losses and overhead for some reason which would indicate not that great a financial report. Or their trying to make themselves look presentable on the books in regards to someone possibly buying them out.

Just a possibility, from what I understand corporations try and go into , look good to sell mode at some point and people have pointed out that it kind of sort of looks like that's what their doing.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Consider also that the investors have been given more say in the running of the company and the dividend was raised recently. GW death pool thread, start your engines.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Consider also that the investors have been given more say in the running of the company and the dividend was raised recently. GW death pool thread, start your engines.

Was the rumor ever confirmed or quashed that they'd taken out a loan to pay a bigger dividend?

It's in Poe's Law-ish territory in that one can quite plausibly imagine it being made up by poo poo-stirrers, but also something that it seems like GW circa 2014 would actually do.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

It sounds like a poo poo-stirrer and I've not seen anything confirming it (or the claim that they'd done it before). As of 1st December they still had £9.3m in cash reserves alone, down from £15.6m in Dec 2012. With 20p per share dividend, it's around £6m in dividends.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Daedleh posted:

A few people are saying that they've skipped them in the past, but no-one's been able to say what year.

Also bear in mind that we don't know for definite that it's cancelled, but it's looking very likely. After last years disaster it's no surprise.

Can you elaborate on what happened? :allears:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think one part of the decision behind not allowing pick up games at the GW stores is that in Britain, you really don't play your games at stores, you play them in wargaming clubs, whereas in the US, you play games at stores. GW has fairly consistently chosen the British market over everything else in their business decisions. I'm not calling it good or anything(I think GW is an asinine company and their products are poo poo), but they are distinctly not an American wargaming company.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

SirPhoebos posted:

Google 'gamesday 2013 games workshop' for a bunch of stuff :)

I had a vague whiff of nostalgia for the excitement I used to feel as a kid at the approach of games day and the feeling that one day I'd get to go. That makes me a bit sad :( (disclaimer: not a 'argh destroying me childhood!' moan, just a realisation)

I think I'll get myself along to one of Mantic's open days one day, I imagine they're quite fun :v:

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

The most obvious one was Games Day Italy:

The heaving masses indulging in the hobby of buying GW minis. Games Day Germany was much the same: http://masterminis.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/epic-battles-of-miniature-history_6.html

Games Day Uk had zero games, only a sales area and a couple of stands with the White Dwarf, Black Library and Forgeworld teams. The number of tickets were limited to 4,000, down on 8,000 in 2012 and by all accounts they failed to sell even half of that. Golden Daemon was thrown into a dark dungeon with horrific lighting and once you'd seen that, had a glance at the Forgeworld stand there was nothing to do, other than buy GW stuff.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

enri posted:

I think I'll get myself along to one of Mantic's open days one day, I imagine they're quite fun :v:

Probably been posted before but didn't they literally use a tagline like 'We have games at our game day!' or something? That was amazing. I love the idea of a company that just straight-up trolls GW by being better at everything, except I guess the technical details of their plastics (but give them time).

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Daedleh posted:

...and once you'd seen that, had a glance at the Forgeworld stand there was nothing to do, other than buy GW stuff.

This bugs me, barring one off special edition minis etc, why would people pay to go somewhere to buy stuff they could just buy from their local store / order online? I don't understand when all my gaming friends whip themselves into a buying frenzy before going to salute, with "I'm going to buy X, Y and Z.. been saving my pennies" - it's not like you're not going to be able to buy that poo poo when you get back home. Maybe it's just me being a miserable bastard though :)

JerryLee posted:

Probably been posted before but didn't they literally use a tagline like 'We have games at our game day!' or something? That was amazing. I love the idea of a company that just straight-up trolls GW by being better at everything, except I guess the technical details of their plastics (but give them time).

Ha yea, more hard plastic / less restic and I'll be a mantic convert through and through

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Just to add to the GW-related news, apparently the Perry Brothers have called it a day in GW terms, and are going to focus on their own products from here on out:

Perry Miniatures FB page posted:

We are aware that there are rumours flying around that we have left Games Workshop! Thought we should set the record straight and let you all know that…we have! After 36 years, man and boy, working on Warhammer, 40K and of course, for the last 15 years LotR and the Hobbit we are now able to focus our energy on our historical ranges.This means more time to dedicate to Perry Miniatures, and of course Mr Jackson who we continue to make 54mm WW1 figures for. We had an excellent evening on Friday at The Trip to Jerusalem with GW, and ex-GW, colleagues and friends who got us very, very drunk - cheers!

It sounds like it was all amicable, and IIRC they haven't really done much GW work in recent years beyond some of the LotR stuff and some Empire things. Plus GW is switching more to computer-aided sculpting rather than the Perrys' traditional sculpting by hand, so that's probably another reason why their departure isn't necessarily as big a blow to the company as one might think.

SirPhoebos posted:

From what I read, last year's GD had zero actual games being played, little or no freebies at the door, and the Golden Demon awards were held in a basement with poor lighting. It was literally a big GW shop that you had to buy a ticket to get into.

enri posted:

Plus they actually help promote the hobby! From what I gather, they had Hawk Wargames' Dropzone Commander and the Warlord Games Judge Dredd game going on, in addition to their own stuff.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

JerryLee posted:

Was the rumor ever confirmed or quashed that they'd taken out a loan to pay a bigger dividend?

It's in Poe's Law-ish territory in that one can quite plausibly imagine it being made up by poo poo-stirrers, but also something that it seems like GW circa 2014 would actually do.

Its pure fantasy. They're a publically traded company and while im not sure its illegal, im pretty sure it would tank the stock prices the second people found out they were using borrowed funds to pay dividends. IE we have no money.

That would be suicidal.

The games days last year were suicidal. I dont think anyone that went would go again and I am un surprised they have died.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Daedleh posted:

Games Day Uk had zero games, only a sales area and a couple of stands with the White Dwarf, Black Library and Forgeworld teams. The number of tickets were limited to 4,000, down on 8,000 in 2012 and by all accounts they failed to sell even half of that. Golden Daemon was thrown into a dark dungeon with horrific lighting and once you'd seen that, had a glance at the Forgeworld stand there was nothing to do, other than buy GW stuff.

So what you're saying is that there were no games at "Games Day" UK? (Or on preview what Mantic said :) )

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
There were ZERO gaming displays. They didnt even invite clubs to make and run their games like previous years. It was a ridiculous idea floated by, you guessed it, Kirby that because most stores had to close for the day to take everyone to Gamesday and staff it, it would be more profitable for the company to keep those stores open, and only take multi man stores staff. Which meant there was almost no way for a lot of people to get there. No coaches from every store, no staff member to organise things so people who would normally group up on the day would be on their own, thus not go at all.

This also meant they had maybe 30 staff that could reliably run a fun game. Also only 30 staff that could reliably work tills and sell things.

Which do you think won?

I loving despise Kirby.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Ugh is it bad that I want a bad financial report simply because in my dreamworld, they get bought out by someone who gives a poo poo. gently caress. I was really looking forward to Gamesday, guess I didn't miss much.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Holy crap does it seem like 40k is losing players fast. I joined the 40k Facebook group in preparation of selling off my Chaos mans to all in on warmachine and some extra cash but there are already so many people selling armies and every other post that's not selling is complaining about the state of the game.

The summer months are when people should have time to play with their dolls, not be trying to frantically unload them.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Man, I picked a terrible time to get into 40k. Or maybe a good one, if people're mass offloading minis...

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Esser-Z posted:

Man, I picked a terrible time to get into 40k. Or maybe a good one, if people're mass offloading minis...

I feel you.

The models are great, and I enjoy the game, I just wish the company that makes the game liked it as much as I do.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Apollodorus posted:

I feel you.

The models are great, and I enjoy the game, I just wish the company that makes the game liked it as much as I do.

Yeah, agreed. I'd also like the game to be BETTER, but I have fun with it, and the models are lovely.

I look forward to GW going under and somebody else buying up 40k.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Esser-Z posted:

Good time to build a collection, less of a good time to actually play. I know the game has died off hard where I live and seeing the changes GW keeps making I've decided that even if I love the models I can not justify keeping them around to never get used when there are games I do actually play.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

What's really frustrating is that I've finally been able to find cheap Sisters, they have a new book, and I have less than zero interest in 7th. Also new is a phase 100% dedicated to killing all my spacebarbies because I have no psykers...

It's definitely a good time to pick up models, half my Facebook group is also dumping stuff cheap too. If all else fails there's always second & third edition 40k, or Mantic is working on Warpath 3 which is generally accommodating of other companies' model lines.

This feels waiting for some rich geriatric uncle to die so I can drive his Ferrari.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I last attended/volunteered (you used to get a $300 stipend to spend on any GW stuff for volunteering back then, including FW stuff) a GD in 2008. I didn't realize how sad the GDs have become since then. I was going to up my paint skills to where they left off before and surpass it for another try at a demon but I guess that's out. Maybe the NOVA open will have painting competitions.

Esser-Z posted:

I look forward to GW going under and somebody else buying up 40k.

I'm sure that explains why most people here have used their birthdays for the pool.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Exinos posted:

Good time to build a collection, less of a good time to actually play. I know the game has died off hard where I live and seeing the changes GW keeps making I've decided that even if I love the models I can not justify keeping them around to never get used when there are games I do actually play.
Yeah. From my experience only the die hard grognards are left still supporting it through and through so even if you got a chance to play...

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah. From my experience only the die hard grognards are left still supporting it through and through so even if you got a chance to play...

There are still plenty of people who have no ability to differentiate between good and bad games who play warhammer all the time. And people who just don't care.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm sure there are and like in magic we won't see them due to only playing at home, but the ones I've seen at the store who were left were all grogs. The best part is that they're really anal about rules and care more about it than the writers who made them lol

There was a time when I wondered why they didn't just clean it up and define things clearly like the magic guys but they just don't care so why should I? So I moved on to better games

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

No I mean like, plenty of people that go to their FLGS and play 40k. Lots and lots of them in fact, all over the place.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
The '13-'14 Finantial reports should come out in 27 more days on July 29th. Who else is excited?

Also, GW announced a 20 pence dividend per share and that comes out to about 2.65 million British Pounds Sterling. I didn't know GW had a monetary system that was broken down into fractions of fractions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Rumour is the financial report is being written by Matt Ward :argh:

• Locked thread