Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Rather than truth, children need structure. That structure must come from a strong foundation of lies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

That is not an exaggeration. Only in lies can the truth be known.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

In addition to advertising, there is social pressure. People will look at you sideways if you don't have the latest hip devices.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

A child who is never lied to is likely to grow up foolish and easily gulled. They will take part in foolish hobbies.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Although the concept itself is simple, its applications are quite varied and complex. It can be applied everywhere from a simple game of checkers to the stock market.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

They will participate in internet games that make them post a lot while they in turn ignore their own children. Children they themselves could and should be lying to.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I don't have a smart phone. I don't have an e-reader. Maybe that's why this question was directed at me.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Yet it is not only the child who can not tell truth from lies. This is a skill that extends into adult life as well, and in training the child you guide the adult.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
My favorite way to play with it is in a game of chess with a friend. There are two players, each with a singular objective, and a host of simple rules that manifest into boundless possibilities.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

For adults, the truth can be a tricky concept. A thing as fleeting as the number of bottles sitting on a table can be the subject of great discord.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Capitalism requires continuous growth to survive. As such, there's always going to be new poo poo shoveled in our direction.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

The lies adults tell themselves about justice and fair play are large and difficult to grasp. Only in teaching the child through smaller lies can they be prepared.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Ben Franklin might have once said something to that effect. If he did, I can't remember.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I think David Harvey gets into this in one of his books. Maybe that's in The Enigma of Capital, which is a good book for laypeople. He does not get very technical in that offering, no pun intended.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It's just as much about knowing the other player as it is about knowing the rules. You have to account for the individual strengths and limitations of your opponent.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

At the heart of things, parenting is a series of compromises. This is true of most things in life.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I am not saying that newer, better, and improved things are bad; at least, not in simple terms. If you think in terms of sustainability, though, maybe they are.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Am I a supporter of primitivism? I don't think so. I use a computer. I drive a car.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Good chess players talk about seeing several moves ahead because they can account for all of the moves and counters the rational opponent will make. A game against a novice, however, will probably be much more chaotic.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I do wonder, though, if there's a certain point at which we should stop the march of so-called progress. The earth's resources can't last forever.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Therefore, smart phones are a harbinger of the apocalypse. Just kidding, of course, but I don't believe the planet could sustain its entire population living with the standards we have in the first world.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
There are as many different types of games as there are life situations that invite competition. Survivor may be thought of as a hybrid game, or, a game with both cooperative and non-cooperative elements.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Winson has failed to make a post within 5 minutes and has been eliminated from the competition.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I don't believe in science fiction like the singularity. I also don't think we can count on the idea that one day we'll go to space and harvest moon rocks, and that, as a result, we'll never need to worry about what we do back at home.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Technology does become more efficient with time. Technology, however, also becomes grander as we continue our forward progress. I don't think at any time in history has energy consumption decreased, despite our more efficient refrigerators.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
We began by playing within cooperative teams. In challenges, we worked together towards hopefully-positive outcomes. Durf even took time to practice quoting lines from Ozymandias in rapid succession.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
:siren: SUBJECT CHANGE :siren:

Posts are still a minimum of two complete sentences long.

Fast Luck: The current Awesome Games Done Quick run
Propaganda Machine: Your opinion of the quote "when you drink alcohol you are just borrowing happiness from tomorrow"

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Having had a hangover before, I can see where the quote is coming from. However, I believe it addresses a very complicated subject with the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

My topic is now Awesome Games Done Quick it appears. That's going to be difficult because I have no idea what that means. This is a lovely topic.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I don't think there should be a topic so niche that a player might never have even heard of it. The viewer or the moderator who selected this topic for me is, quite literally, Satan. I am researching this topic now.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The quote is unsure of itself. Is it presuming that we're getting drunk, or will it apply even if we're talking about one beer after work, or one glass of wine with dinner?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

It sounds like Awesome Games Done Quick has something to do with video game "speedruns." Some people, apparently, don't find enough joy in playing a video game in a normal fashion, but instead strive to establish such mastery of the game that they're able to complete it with blazing speed.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

This might be another form the replay value of a game can take. A player can go back to it again and again until they can finish a forty hour game in some absurdly short amount of time, like thirty minutes. People derive enjoyment from all sorts of things, apparently.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
If it applies itself to one who drinks with such moderation, the quote is patently false. There is nothing lost from tomorrow if the alcohol fits within a balanced diet and is of a reasonable cost.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

My research shows Awesome Games Done Quick purports to be some type of charity. I find that difficult to fathom, since the entire event was conjured up by, you guessed it, Satan. Satan rears his ugly horned head again.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
In fact, studies have shown that having a single drink of alcohol every day can have health benefits. The stuff can both taste good and be good [/i]for[/i] you.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
If, however, we're talking about getting faced, the quote has a lot of merit. As I noted earlier, the first, most obvious robbery of happiness comes from a screaming headache, vomiting and dry-heaving, and generally feeling like death.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

If Satan came up with Awesome Games Done Quick, and then also selected it for my current topic in this challenge, that has certain implications. Did Propaganda Machine summon Satan to do her evil bidding? The conclusion seems quite obvious.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I myself have been jokingly accused of having made a deal with the devil because of my current immunity run. But Awesome Games Done Quick proves that it was not me who made this dark deal at all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Drinking to the point of blacking out is never fun, either. One loses the happiness of waking up feeling refreshed, knowing full well the events of the night prior.

• Locked thread