Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Did nobody else watch the Kyoryuger movie yet? I thought it was alright and a great send off at least. Nice action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

RBX posted:

Did nobody else watch the Kyoryuger movie yet? I thought it was alright and a great send off at least. Nice action.

I really enjoyed it. Gotta say, I wish they had spent more time in the non-standard color suits...that was great while it lasted. I also was not expecting a redone intro using the different dino models and the like at ALL. And Uppy was the best.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Agreed on everything, Utchy stole the drat show.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Cliff Racer posted:

He failed a few times but the person didn't become a phantom anyway "just because." I remember having a debate here awhile back about whether phantoms forming was even likely/possible or if it was all part of White Wizard's secret plan all along but the show, being poo poo, never bothered to explain or even hint at a reason so I guess it was all just dumb luck.

The only times he failed were with Mayu, the little kid, and Todoroki (and the myna bird guy but that was just a joke). In all three cases they overcame their own despair without him. But yeah like you said it's hard to tell if it was just dumb luck that they didn't fall to despair without him, or if the whole falling to despair thing was impossible to begin with unless you were under the eclipse and the White Wizard just tricked him.

If Haruto didn't help people and they all became Phantoms, the White Wizard's plan would have failed. But Haruto saving all the people that might become Phantoms also would have prevented new wizards from forming. Either way White Wizard's plan seems to make no loving sense unless you assume new Phantoms can't form, and everyone would've overcome their despair (thus turning them into a wizard), but if that's the case why did the White Wizard tell Haruto to fight the Phantoms?

drat Wizard was a bad show.

RBX posted:

I was thinking of waiting until the DC, but O-T might not sub the DC so I might go back and watch the theatrical one at some point.

Speaking of Kyoryuger stuff when is 100 years after supposed to be out?

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 29, 2014

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Speaking of Kyoryuger stuff when is 100 years after supposed to be out?

The raw's out if you know where to look.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

So this came in the mail today, ordered with the super cheap Super AkibaRed Fooley posted about before. It's apparently a Tic Tac Toe style game, but you play with the five Gokaiger VS five Legendary Reds. I haven't opened it yet to find out who they are, but the Gokaiger figures themselves are nice. I can use them as even-dorkier minis for DnD or something! It's pretty affordable too, here on HLJ. I'm gonna try it out tomorrow so I'll edit this post with the other 5 then in case anyone's interested.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Ok ToQger was awesome this week. 6's fighting style and actor are prettty drat good.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

RBX posted:

Ok ToQger was awesome this week. 6's fighting style and actor are prettty drat good.

I like how he keeps throwing away his weapon before he starts fighting. At some point one of the others, probably Kagura, will pick it up and start using it.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Dr Tran posted:

The raw's out if you know where to look.

I just watched this and Future Utchi stole the whole movie. He even tries to fix his hair when he's wearing his helmet. It's always like this with some the movies, that I wish we could have a whole series based on these characters. The only future version I didn't like was Future King, who reminded me exactly of Goseiger Red, who I just found annoying. And Candelara being their mentor was hilarious, especially how she could not snap her fingers at the end. Imagine a whole series where she is their mentor.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

It looks like Bad Apple is dead. Their site and their Facebook are both gone.

So much for finally having Goranger completed, huh?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dexie posted:

It looks like Bad Apple is dead. Their site and their Facebook are both gone.

So much for finally having Goranger completed, huh?

Yeah, the guy paying the translator had some kind of hissy fit with the rest of the Bad Apple folks and ended up nuking the blog and whatnot. Claimed that "Nobody else cared about the project so why bother continuing"

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

:toxx: that it's finished before OT's Timeranger.
Oh noooo.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

And now watch as OT never finishes, making the Toxx exist in a state of Limbo for all eternity.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm kinda curious how much that translator was getting paid...cause that's the kind of project I would actually seriously considering bankrolling if it was within the realm of feasibility.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if Kit would pick it up.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.
Kyoryuger 100 years best thing ever so good I love it

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Burkion posted:

I wonder if Kit would pick it up.

Don't count on it.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
Just watched Sambasaurs: One Century Later. I really enjoyed it, but wasn't as good as Dobustsu Sentai Go-Busters -- that thing was a masterpiece, though, so it's probably not a fair comparison. When Torin told Candelira to use her power in the final battle, I held out a half-second hope she was going to become the new KyoryuSilver; that would have made this a fantastic movie, in my opinion...

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

toomanyninjas posted:

Just watched Sambasaurs: One Century Later. I really enjoyed it, but wasn't as good as Dobustsu Sentai Go-Busters -- that thing was a masterpiece, though, so it's probably not a fair comparison. When Torin told Candelira to use her power in the final battle, I held out a half-second hope she was going to become the new KyoryuSilver; that would have made this a fantastic movie, in my opinion...

Her singing was the best part, you are a fool!

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I was thinking of waiting until the DC

100 Years won't have a DC (none of the Returns V-Cinemas do).

For that matter, Kyoryuger's summer movie didn't have a DC either, if memory serves. Go-Busters has been an exception so far.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress yeah more Shinkenger.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I think that Shinkenger roll calls / henshin sequences are probably my favorite ones from just about anything I've watched. Also I forgot how much I liked Shinkenger Ep 6, that's a really strong one.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Darksaber posted:

I think that Shinkenger roll calls / henshin sequences are probably my favorite ones from just about anything I've watched. Also I forgot how much I liked Shinkenger Ep 6, that's a really strong one.

loving nerd! You love orientalizing poo poo!

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Twistys Rapture posted:

loving nerd! You love orientalizing poo poo!

The hell are you talking about, Twisty

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
I decided to give OOOs a try, and Cake CEO is stealing the show right from the start. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Zero_Tactility posted:

I decided to give OOOs a try, and Cake CEO is stealing the show right from the start. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

OOOs is great, everyone watch OOOs.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

HKR posted:

Listen to this person, all you people.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

HKR posted:

Something we can agree on! :allears:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So, good news on the Goranger front, the QCer from Bad Apple has teamed up with some other folks and they're working on it again over at PMLG-Fansubs.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Potsticker posted:

Something we can agree on! :allears:
Hear, hear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJaamHrGgvs

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I was watching the live action 20th Century Boys movie with some friends and Kougami's actor was in it. Even though the movie was generally serious, I can't help but smile whenever I see that man.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

HKR posted:

Eiji wasn't much more interesting then Haruto imo

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Twistys Rapture posted:

Eiji wasn't much more interesting then Haruto imo

The show really wasn't about Eiji but at least he had personality.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Eiji being dull was a plot point. Other riders might get stronger as a result of burning emotions, but Eiji's lack of such was the entire basis of his character. By contrast, Haruto's dullness was the result of bad writing and I don't think it was ever acknowledged.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eiji is a hugely dull main character. He shines best when he has other, more interesting main characters to bounce himself off of. Ankh works a little like that but I really think Eiji is at his best in the (good) crossover films where he gets to interact with dudes, even if only briefly.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I just noticed that three Carrangers have been uploaded since I last checked, including one which went up today! At this rate we might have the series complete some day.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
I finally finished Kamen Rider Black.

What hooked me were the first 15 or so episodes. They have a wonderful sense of atmosphere and theme exploration, dealing with the dark side of human nature and cosmic horror in the face of unfathomable creatures and the promise of power. They feel like Lovecraft writing a superhero series, and they're great.

This sadly goes away for the middle block of the series. Someone mentioned earlier a rumor about Black using pre-written, generic toku scripts, and I don't doubt it. But these episodes are nonetheless good toku and good fun. I think they work best as a vanity watch to turn your brain off a little after a long day of work or school. It's alright because that's what toku was created for, anyway. The middle of Black never stops being enjoyable and satisfying, mind you, it just becomes very generic. But the intensity with which Black does the build-up to climax moments carry the stories forward.

At around episode 33 or 34, some Plot happens. Suddenly, the villains become more intelligent. The series never goes back to the cosmic horror atmosphere of its beginning, but it stops being generic. The main plot is advanced almost every episode. The villain's plans are interesting, challenging, and force the main character into actually exciting situations. The end block of Black is really, really good. For the last 4 or 5 episodes the "climactic moment" songs hardly stop playing.

In short, I think Black isn't a very innovative series. It does most of time exactly what you expect it to do. But it does it with such honest enthusiasm and intensity that you can't help but enjoy every step of the way.

The very last episode is just a tiny preview of RX and a highlights retrospective of past Riders. Man, there was some crazy poo poo back then. Riderman looks absolutely insane. I'm afraid of what they did with the poor Amazon forest. Stronger looks like Superman in even sillier clothes. And don't get me started on the villains' costumes, oh man. I never realized how… tight Black is, design-wise.

So apparently RX is bad, huh? I'm really not sure if I want to start another toku series now (I still have to finish Metalder), but because of this thread's recommendations I was on the fence about V3 or a newer one like OOO, Double, or Gaim.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
You (and everyone) should absolutely and positively watch Amazon. It's short, fully translated, and a complete crazy ride of joy.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Double and Gaim are fantastic. OOO and Fourze are also quite good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Eiji being dull was a plot point. Other riders might get stronger as a result of burning emotions, but Eiji's lack of such was the entire basis of his character. By contrast, Haruto's dullness was the result of bad writing and I don't think it was ever acknowledged.

I'm going to disagree here. The point of Eiji was that he either had no desires or his desires were so big because he cared for everyone. Eiji is similar to Haruto in his regrets. Eiji regrets that he couldn't save that child and Haruto regrets having to save the world. Haruto clearly is Wizard out of guilt, knowing that he, alone, is the last hope of the world to fight the Phantoms. Haruto is interesting in that his burden saddens him and causes him to withdrawal from the world he has chosen to give hope to. His interactions with Shunpei, Rinko, etc show how he engages again with the world. Haruto's backstory of how he was a dickhead before the Sabbat happened was also interesting in that it explains how Haruto is trying to make up for his past life. When Nitou enters the scene, Haruto must cope with how he isn't the only one who can save the world and how his world view is so different from Nitou's. And of course, how Koyomi is so central to Haruto's character was a great plot point and was the most enjoyable part of the Gaim Wizard crossover movie.

• Locked thread