Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

z0rlandi viSSer posted:

Yep. If I could make this money doing something other than IT i would leave IT immediately. I hate IT and it makes me unhappy.

but i like money

*fartz*

fidel sarcastro posted:

the worst part of programming is programmers.

just curious how many people who have this opinion of IT and programmers live in cali

I am from the lovely south and IT isn't so bad

then again my career is still young

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

fidel sarcastro posted:

the worst part of programming is programmers.

The programmers I work with are all really nice, top-notch people, but they're mostly in their 40s-50s and have had long enough to not be the shitheads they might have been in their twenties anymore.

Apr 7, 2003

syntaxrigger posted:

just curious how many people who have this opinion of IT and programmers live in cali

Younger IT people/developers drive me up the wall and there's one DBA in particular I despise because he's a miserable piece of poo poo to interact with. Everyone else is great!

Apr 7, 2003

I'd rather work with the dumbest fucker on the planet who has a good, cheerful disposition than the smartest guy on the planet who knows it.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
loving young kids and their happy lives

one day ya'll get old too and then ul know li fe

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Citizen Tayne posted:

I like working in IT.

I like developing solutions to real problems in the healthcare industry

Apr 7, 2003

lmao

Apr 7, 2003

Shaggar posted:

I like developing solutions to real problems in the healthcare industry

As I understand it from posters here in YOSPOS, healthcare information management is actually a "solved problem" and "boring poo poo for old people." We need to apply those bright minds to solving war and world hunger!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
we have a client who wants us to integrate one of our solutions into their epic system because even though our solution suits a core need for provider networks, epic does not do it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

is the solution still MUMPS?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Citizen Tayne posted:

As I understand it from posters here in YOSPOS, healthcare information management is actually a "solved problem" and "boring poo poo for old people." We need to apply those bright minds to solving war and world hunger!

p sure by "posters here in YOSPOS" you actually mean one guy. it's probably Bloody

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
going to use saml for auth so we never have to reinvent any wheels when we sell it to other providers. its nice to have these kinds of well defined standards because they save so much time

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

syntaxrigger posted:

i don't, but I work for a startup so it's probably not far off.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pseudorandom name posted:

is the solution still MUMPS?

idk what that is

Apr 7, 2003

Symbolic Butt posted:

p sure by "posters here in YOSPOS" you actually mean one guy. it's probably Bloody

Bloody is too young and dumb to be taken seriously.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

I'd rather work with the dumbest fucker on the planet who has a good, cheerful disposition than the smartest guy on the planet who knows it.

better either of those than dumbos who think they are hot poo poo

Apr 7, 2003

fritz posted:

better either of those than dumbos who think they are hot poo poo

The smartest guy on the planet is actually a dumbo who thinks he's hot poo poo.

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

syntaxrigger posted:

this kind of work is a lot better than what i used to be doing, even if it is a dumb poo poo start-up

most of the other people i work with are pretty ok, but the ones that arent are ~really bad~

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

FPGAs are cool but sadly out of my price range unless they got super cheap and I didn't know about it

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Citizen Tayne posted:

Younger IT people/developers drive me up the wall and there's one DBA in particular I despise because he's a miserable piece of poo poo to interact with. Everyone else is great!

Flaming June posted:

this kind of work is a lot better than what i used to be doing, even if it is a dumb poo poo start-up

most of the other people i work with are pretty ok, but the ones that arent are ~really bad~

fidel sarcastro posted:

i don't, but I work for a startup so it's probably not far off.

i just get the sense that silicon valley is bizarro world and not grounded in anything resembling reality...i dunno never been but i've met a lot of cool people so far between louisiana and texas

just lucky i guess

Citizen Tayne posted:

same

pleasant people are pleasant

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Symbolic Butt posted:

confused by this callout

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Citizen Tayne posted:

Bloody is too young and dumb to be taken seriously.

iawtp

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

FPGAs are cool but sadly out of my price range unless they got super cheap and I didn't know about it

there exist dev boards that are not hideously expensive but yeah they're generally not cheap. lower-end stuff can be had pretty reasonably like this eval kit (http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/AGLN-NANO-KIT/1100-1136-ND/2745083) comes with a p solid low power fpga, programmer, and ide license for ~120

if you wish to be more baller a http://www.zedboard.org/product/zedboard is very baller because it is a pair of cortex-a9s and a bigass kintex-7 fabric. 400 dollars tho - cheap for an fpga board, horrible for a hobbyist.

e: actually a http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?NavPath=2,400,1198&Prod=ZYBO is probably peak dollar:baller esp if you can pass yourself off as academic

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Bloody posted:

confused by this callout

well I might be wrong then. I remember someone saying something like that, about cobol systems being boring poo poo for old people. who was that?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

eh that sounds like a thing i would say

they probably are tho

especially the for old people bit, nobody knows cobol any more

Apr 7, 2003

Symbolic Butt posted:

well I might be wrong then. I remember someone saying something like that, about cobol systems being boring poo poo for old people. who was that?

Bloody did say that but I think it was just a throwaway

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Citizen Tayne posted:

This is frequently, though certainly not always, a sign that you're passing stupid requirements to the developers. It is frequently unavoidable, I'm sure it's not your fault but please understand, you are why we drink.

Apr 7, 2003

Stringent posted:

This is frequently, though certainly not always, a sign that you're passing stupid requirements to the developers. It is frequently unavoidable, I'm sure it's not your fault but please understand, you are why we drink.

As a developer, my job certainly isn't to second guess the BAs. My job is to give them exactly, precisely what they asked for, to the letter.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Citizen Tayne posted:

Bloody did say that but I think it was just a throwaway

i am a throwaway

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Citizen Tayne posted:

As a developer, my job certainly isn't to second guess the BAs. My job is to give them exactly, precisely what they asked for, to the letter.

Ah the

H.L. Mencken posted:

Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.
school of thought.

I wish I was cynical enough to subscribe to it wholeheartedly.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bloody posted:

especially the for old people bit, nobody knows cobol any more

cobol is not something you casually pick up for the sake of current job skills. so you have people who learn it in university or as a trainee at their first job.

hypothesis: all cobol devs are either fresh grads or ancient greybeards, with almost nothing in between. (at least i personally never met a cobol user who wasn't obviously part of a bi-modal distribution)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Citizen Tayne posted:

this makes you a terrible developer

if it is the cultural norm at your firm, you are in deep poo poo and should seek new employment

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ya but who learns it in university

corollary: who learns any skills in university

( i learned alot in university)

Apr 7, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this makes you a terrible developer

if it is the cultural norm at your firm, you are in deep poo poo and should seek new employment

The architects are paid to have an opinion. I'm not. Once they pay me to be an architect, I'll have an opinion.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Shaggar posted:

we have a client who wants us to integrate one of our solutions into their epic system because even though our solution suits a core need for provider networks, epic does not do it.

epic. ftw.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Bloody posted:

ya but who learns it in university

corollary: who learns any skills in university

( i learned alot in university)

i learned a lot of things in university but very few of them were for a grade

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Citizen Tayne posted:

looking at what cool young programmers seem to work on these days, the real problem seems to be that our client-side web frameworks just aren't beautiful enough.

don't worry though, I have this great idea for a kind of very short cylinder that can roll along the ground ...

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Citizen Tayne posted:

tbh this is why my job owns

95% of my projects are related to large scale malaria spraying efforts in sub-saharan africa

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

i write software to help streamline time + costs related to bioengineering so sorry for youre losts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Squinty Applebottom posted:

i write software to help streamline time + costs related to bioengineering so sorry for youre losts

trapped in the fleshlight factory send he;p

• Locked thread