Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Yea... he's a bit off. I don't recall if I posted about the white S4 car he installed a "set of webbers on" at the tune of $1500. Not only were they not webbers, but they were "rebuilt" with JBWELD and grey silicone instead of gaskets, this of course failed within a week and almost caused the car to burn down. The wiring was equally bad, just stripped wires shoved in to spade connectors, secured by electrical tape. Then there's the local RPNW chump car motor he rebuilt that lasted... 8 laps. There's more, but yea, it looks like you figured it out already.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Well, I've been far to busy. We're ordering the siding and trim here soon and then it's back to work on the shop.

Friday I removed the auto trans from the white S5 car. My friend who's doing most the work could not figure out how to pull the trans himself. I just used some wood blocks, built up a platform under the trans, lowered the car so the trans rested on the platform, unbolted the mounts and just lifted the car off. Worked great.

Saturday night I decided to finally strip the 99 Miata my brother wrecked. Sadly, we broken my sawzall about 3/4 of the way through cutting the rear half in 1/4's. Oh well, I'll take it apart tonight and see if I can find parts.

Yesterday I visited my dad's shop. He picked up a swing saw that just scares me looking at it. The fellow was clearing out his dad's estate and sold all the planes, clamps, drawknife, ect for an additional $100.

Before anyone asks: 1962 MGA MarkII 1600 with 38k and a 1957 Austin with 40k. There's also a 61 International Scout and a 48 Desoto hiding in the next bay.

The whole reason I was up there was for these two tools: A Wilton 4200 6x48/12" disc sander and a Delta RAS. The Wilton needs a bit of work, but it should clean up nicely. It came with a broken trunion, but the seller included the parts to fix it.

Here's the Delta 33-890. It came from a contractor closing shop. I wish I had room for the 14" Dewalt GA (1950's) RAS he was selling. It was a beauty. He bought the Delta RAS and used it for one job, then put it in storage. The serial shows it was made in 91. It still has the original blade and table top. It's in great shape despite sitting in storage the last twenty years. I got home pretty late, so I used the lift to unload the RAS.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 10, 2014

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

the spyder posted:

Friday I removed the auto trans from the white S5 car.
:negative:
Who does this? Who (originally) buys a rotary with an automatic?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

There's probably twice as many rx8's on the road with automatics than manuals.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Left Ventricle posted:

:negative:
Who does this? Who (originally) buys a rotary with an automatic?

leica posted:

Just think of them as future parts cars

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It will start happening very soon, you're going to see lots of rx8's on craigslist with bad motors, especially the automatics because those are the ones that had the most issues and warranty replacements. If someone comes out with a reasonably affordable swap kit for an LSx it's going to be a popular project. Would make an awesome DD.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

leica posted:

It will start happening very soon, you're going to see lots of rx8's on craigslist with bad motors, especially the automatics because those are the ones that had the most issues and warranty replacements. If someone comes out with a reasonably affordable swap kit for an LSx it's going to be a popular project. Would make an awesome DD.

I've been wanting to do this exact thing for years.

oh look what's that? http://www.ls1rx8.com/

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

I've been wanting to do this exact thing for years.

oh look what's that? http://www.ls1rx8.com/

Why did I read this thread?

I hate you all.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Why did I read this thread?

I hate you all.

I'm an enabler

http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/4513074619.html

Its not common to find them under 5k but here's an example automatic with a dead engine for 2500 OBO.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I want to shove a 13B-REW in to a Rx-8 one day, preferably a 08+.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

the spyder posted:

I want to shove a 13B-REW in to a Rx-8 one day, preferably a 08+.

Why bother when you can throw a N/A 20B. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQZRhsHlNsw

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Octopus Magic posted:

Why bother when you can throw a N/A 20B. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQZRhsHlNsw

13B-REW = $2k + $2500 in supporting mods.
20B= $5k + $5-10k in supporting mods.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm an enabler

http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/4513074619.html

Its not common to find them under 5k but here's an example automatic with a dead engine for 2500 OBO.

Wow. Still with the full kit and motor/trans you're looking at close to 10k....But if the shell is really clean it would be totally worth it.

Could probably save a lot of money using a truck motor too, I forget which Chevy is the popular one but lots of people are going with them since the LS motors are getting expensive. But then the question would be if the kit would work or not.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

leica posted:

Wow. Still with the full kit and motor/trans you're looking at close to 10k....But if the shell is really clean it would be totally worth it.

Could probably save a lot of money using a truck motor too, I forget which Chevy is the popular one but lots of people are going with them since the LS motors are getting expensive. But then the question would be if the kit would work or not.

5.3 LM7 is the go to. But the blocks are all similar on the outside so you can bolt in an iron 4.8 all the way up to an alu 6.0.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

the spyder posted:

13B-REW = $2k + $2500 in supporting mods.
20B= $5k + $5-10k in supporting mods.

But you don't get the 3 rotor sound.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Octopus Magic posted:

But you don't get the 3 rotor sound.

That sounded pretty bad. Was there something wrong with that setup or is the 26B the only way to get that racecar sound? I guess I assumed anything more than two rotors sounded amazing.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

That sounded pretty bad. Was there something wrong with that setup or is the 26B the only way to get that racecar sound? I guess I assumed anything more than two rotors sounded amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPFeHhGFBI8 This sounds pretty good to me also? :confused:

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

leica posted:

I used mock my old boss/friend mercilessly since she had a automatic rx8 and a 5spd Explorer.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Supercharged 20B drag cars sound pretty loving awesome, maybe they had noise restrictions :negative:?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Oh, it's only $40,000 ~Invested~ to put in a 13REW

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/4482791105.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Twin turbo 20B is the obvious compromise. Then you can say that you hosed around and got a triple double.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Ok that sounds badass. The first video sounded like a bucket of farts.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Weekend update.

This is how a sawzall fails :(.

I should buy a lottery ticket or something.

I was reminded Saturday that I want to find an old Datsun wagon or coupe some day by these two parked outside our local grocery store. I forgot to take a picture of the 510 that one of the employee owns a few spots away.

I ordered a new blade, laser marker, and built a cart for my RAS.

I used it to make it's own stand. Cutting dado's with this thing is both amazing and scary as hell. I love it.

The vert's almost gone.

Saturday evening we tore down the motor from the white 91. I was rather concerned after finding the signs of a S4 center plate. Sadly for parid, it looks like someone put a 146hp S4 motor in a S5... Not that with the automatic you would notice, but still.

(I stopped taking photos due to dirty gloves.) It had a very interesting failure- the bottom of the water seal grove in the cast iron plate cracked. Combustion pressure pushed the coolant seal liner out. This happened on both sides of the center iron. Very odd.

The white car got it's "new/used" reman motor installed Saturday night.

Here's the 90% completed mount. I'm going to pull/media blast/paint it and change the fasteners.

Next up: installing the clutch pedal/master/slave.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Are the housings at least in decent condition? :(

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Good news: I know where three other S5 NA cores are, hahaha. I'll make some calls.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I just realized... even your lift is a rotary :v:

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Screw practicality, best 1 mile commute ever.
How interchangeable do 13B parts end up being? For owning an FD, I know actually very little about the nitty gritty engine stuff.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
So we're back again?
I've been overloaded with RED FD's for some reason. This 46k 93 Touring showed up with a bad slave cylinder.

I shamelessly stole this idea from Parid. A friend donated the old rack and the bins are Stanley off Amazon.

We got the white car wrapped up for the most part. Runs great.

The 93 Montego Blue Touring with the Greddy T78 kit showed back up... No fuel, no spark.

My son has decided he loves playing in the new shop.

Another 93 Touring with 60k- this time with control system issues. More on this car later.

I picked up my next project. 93 R1 with 106k. It's going to need some TLC, but I can't wait to get it back on the road.

I found the door open to my now-departed neighbors shop while coming home from the store. The lights were on, but no one was to be found. Turns out a home inspector had been through the property earlier in the day and left it that way. While checking it out, I found this in the basement. It's been a few decades since the husband passed, but now I know why he was always so happy to be working out in the shop/garden.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Costco shelves are awesome.

I spent a few hours on the 93 MB Touring.

The plugs were SOAKED.

9-9-9-7?

Hurm, I have no idea how this fuel pump is working since the fuel pump resistor pack is just plain missing... Quality wiring too.

I have never had someone bring me 30+ spark plugs "because the car just keeps flooding". At $30/set of four, holy poo poo.

This car wins for the most amount of vampire taps EVER. Also 15 loving pounds of wire for the alarm and stereo. At least one tap cut through a wire going to the ECU. Maybe that's why it won't start...

1 Costco shelf holds 1 Miata Exocent donor minus engine and body.

They really helped clean up in here.

Here's the Red 93 Touring that won't start/has control problems. So far noteworth finds: MAP sensor unplugged, AC electrical plugged in to coolant level sender signal, missing both pressure and vacuum reservoir chambers, and no undertray.

And back to the white FC- I hate, hate, HATE the trees around our shop/barn. They leave this awesome sap/fungus on anything you park under it for more then a week. We had to scrub it off the white FC with a magic eraser and dawn dish soap.

I pulled the Red 93 R1 in for a quick inspection- turns out I also have 80% of the parts to fix it on hand.

Friend with the white FC below brought his GF's new Miata over... God drat is he having some lovely luck. They bought this car in the dark...

Six flushes, SIX loving flushes until clean water came out. And after all of this, we put the cap back on and found the radiator was cracked 4" along the top... RAGE. Oh well $76 for a new core.

I'm not even sure where to start with these pictures. This FC was originally pictured waaaaay back at the start of the thread parked where the shop is now. This is not the FC I've been working on. The long story short is: don't ever let a friend sell a car to your shady "mutual friend" on payments. It will get totaled by a uninsured driver and the "mutual friend" will flake on the payments. It's now at my house getting stripped. Oh and yes, the frame rail is bent.

Not pictured: Axles and front wheel bearings on the wife's Mini Cooper S- they literally took so little time I forgot to take pics. Color me amazed.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 30, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ha. I bought a Miata in the dark once too and forgot my flashlight. Next day I realized I just bought a Miata with a serious case of rocker rust. Seller said it was a Florida car (in FL) so I believed him, turns out the car spent most of it's life in Ohio. God I was so pissed at myself for that.

I really need to stop following this thread because I'm super jealous of all the FD's you end up with :argh:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Please keep rescuing the FDs. Thank you.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

the spyder posted:

Not pictured: Axles and front wheel bearings on the wife's Mini Cooper S- they literally took so little time I forgot to take pics. Color me amazed.

In the two years I had mine I had to replace both front wheel bearing/hubs. One came off and replaced easy, the other needed a puller and a whole lot of force to come out and the new one to go back on. I broke the speed sensors too because they were cheap pieces of poo poo

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
drat it, you reminded me I need to find/order new speed sensors. I ordered all four off ebay and I can't find the drat box they came in.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Octopus Magic posted:

Please keep rescuing the FDs. Thank you.

Always enjoy seeing updates to this thread.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How much do those Costco shelves cost?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

leica posted:

Ha. I bought a Miata in the dark once too and forgot my flashlight. Next day I realized I just bought a Miata with a serious case of rocker rust. Seller said it was a Florida car (in FL) so I believed him, turns out the car spent most of it's life in Ohio. God I was so pissed at myself for that.

I really need to stop following this thread because I'm super jealous of all the FD's you end up with :argh:

Awesome, I did the same thing, bought a '97 miata in the rain, middle of the night, in December. So.Much.Rust. It was only $1,200 and I sold it for $1800 a year later to some dude building an exocet.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

After I got mine I drove it for a year then bought ToolShack's '97, swapped in all the good stuff from the rusted car which had an immaculate interior, made one giant lovely Miata out of the rusted one and sold it for a little less than what I paid for it :v:

[edit] I can't spel

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 1, 2014

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
I have the same costco shelves, they will hold a ton of weight.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

the spyder posted:

I shamelessly stole this idea from Parid. A friend donated the old rack and the bins are Stanley off Amazon.

Hmm not bad, I might have to grab a rack that's getting scrapped. Do the storage bins use the full depth of the rack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I don't think so, I have one of those storage bins for my copper plumbing fitting stash and they're shorter than they are wide. The back of the rack has a nice door too though, and I think two storage bins might fit back to back.

Is that a 19 or a 23 inch rack?