Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Drink and Fight posted:

loving hells I got a 60-day move out notice. Renting is bullshit.

That stinks. No lease? Or was there a provision where they could boot you with that much notice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I feel like this deserves to be on this page, so I'm just gonna throw a 'holy poo poo people put tomatoes in the fridge?' comment on here.

I mean store tomatoes are usually barely even ripe, so you practically have to leave them sitting out to finish ripening up. and if you have fruits/vegetables sitting out on the counter that are turning to mush, you're either not cooking enough or you're buying too much veg. or something horrible happened like your dog ate a bunch of bleach and died and you're just so griefstricken that you can hardly bring yourself to eat much less cook and you're just a sobbing weeping mess and using the tomato that has been on the counter for a week already is really the last thing on your mind.

THAT SAID sometimes I really want a cold salad or to get a head start on a gazpacho so I'll put my tomatoes in the fridge for an hour or so to chill down. :unsmith:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Drink and Fight posted:

I had that happen to me in 2012, the best part was I was waiting for my house to finish being built.

I don't have good advice, I was essentially homeless since no one would rent to me for one month and it sucked poo poo.

I offered my landlord double rent to not get kicked out, but they wanted to sell.

I lived in hotels and Airbnb rentals, and had to move every three days for six weeks. If I ever run into my landlord I'll sucker punch him.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Chemmy posted:

I had that happen to me in 2012, the best part was I was waiting for my house to finish being built.

I don't have good advice, I was essentially homeless since no one would rent to me for one month and it sucked poo poo.

I offered my landlord double rent to not get kicked out, but they wanted to sell.

I lived in hotels and Airbnb rentals, and had to move every three days for six weeks. If I ever run into my landlord I'll sucker punch him.

What if you just refused to leave? Wouldn't they have to go through the long eviction process that might have given you enough time to finish the house?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

We thought about it, ultimately we're reasonable people and didn't want to live with the stress of changing the locks and doing that whole thing.

Despite my feelings that my landlord was unreasonable he was within his legal right.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
nothing to see here, just someone not drunkposting, is all.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Drink and Fight posted:

:( sorry to hear that. We got a 60 day notice, too, a few weeks ago because the landlord wants to sell, too. Moving sucks. Unexpected moving sucks even harder.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Wow! I have to move out, too, because my landlord is selling.

If all goes well, I may have arranged a new apartment already, though. It has an electric oven, so I think my days of making bread are numbered.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

contrapants posted:

It has an electric oven, so I think my days of making bread are numbered.

If it's roomy enough you can just put a big rear end terracotta garden pot and stand in there to serve as a heat regulator and baking surface.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

contrapants posted:

If all goes well, I may have arranged a new apartment already, though. It has an electric oven, so I think my days of making bread are numbered.

I have an electric oven and it works perfectly well for baking bread. What's the issue?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

contrapants posted:

Not only do I make bread, but I sell bread made from an electric oven. From everything I've heard from everybody, electric ovens are far better than gas.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Yeah it depends on the quality of the oven. I had a really lovely electric oven that even lined with bricks it still had hot spots. Not all of them are that bad though. drat I love my gas oven now though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Not only do I make bread, but I sell bread made from an electric oven. From everything I've heard from everybody, electric ovens are far better than gas.

People pay extra for gas ranges with electric ovens!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Presented without comment.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

contrapants posted:

Why? Electric ovens are superior to gas ovens in every way, especially for baking. I hated having a gas oven in my old apartment.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

He put ketchup on the hot dog at the end. Anything else he said previous is invalidated.

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

Kids at our street party bbq are going to get a kick out of this. I love it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I don't think that would work with fancier sausages though. I get that aidells stuff at costco sometimes but it suffers from too-short-for-the-bun syndrome.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
Wow! I didn't know electric ovens were considered so good! I've never used electric ovens or ranges before.

I've only heard complaints that electric ovens take forever to heat up and are expensive to run. I was worried it would take an hour to heat up my pizza stone. I feel reassured. Thanks, everyone!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
In terms of $$$ gas and electric ovens cost roughly the same to operate.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

contrapants posted:

Wow! I didn't know electric ovens were considered so good! I've never used electric ovens or ranges before.

I've only heard complaints that electric ovens take forever to heat up and are expensive to run. I was worried it would take an hour to heat up my pizza stone. I feel reassured. Thanks, everyone!

Yeah I have a dual fuel oven because gas stove is good but gas oven not so much. Gas does produce water vapor as a byproduct, and apparently that can be good for bread baking (but is also easily replaced with a pan of water). But theres lots of things you cook where you don't want extra water vapor in the oven.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
Is it true that the electric oven takes longer to heat? I know a good oven will be faster. I'm just mean on average.

Why is everyone saying that electric ranges are worse? I thought they were better because they're super easy to clean. The range I would have is flat on top; there aren't any coils raised above the surface. I had one of those in college, and taking a pan off of them shut the heat. That sucked, but it made sense in a college setting.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

contrapants posted:

Why is everyone saying that electric ranges are worse?
Temperature control on an electric range is basically non-existant.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

contrapants posted:

Is it true that the electric oven takes longer to heat? I know a good oven will be faster. I'm just mean on average.

Why is everyone saying that electric ranges are worse? I thought they were better because they're super easy to clean. The range I would have is flat on top; there aren't any coils raised above the surface. I had one of those in college, and taking a pan off of them shut the heat. That sucked, but it made sense in a college setting.

Flat top electrics are better than coils for a number of reasons but gas is better than both.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bob Morales posted:

Temperature control on an electric range is basically non-existant.

Also takes longer to heat up, especially coils.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
NICSA is up: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647252

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Manuel Calavera posted:

Also takes longer to heat up, especially coils.

Unless it's induction, which is the best of both worlds

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Induction hotplates are the best. We keep one for offsite events where you may not have a heat source and need to prep a few gallons of syrup.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

E/N

You know what loving sucks? When one of your favorite employees texts you in the morning to tell you she won't be in today because her loving car was repossessed. She's got two small children and I had no idea she was in such financial dire straits and now not having a car is going to potentially threaten her employment, which would basically push her down even deeper into a hole. The worst part is that there's nothing I can do about it. I hope she's able to get her poo poo together. :(

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

The Midniter posted:

E/N

You know what loving sucks? When one of your favorite employees texts you in the morning to tell you she won't be in today because her loving car was repossessed. She's got two small children and I had no idea she was in such financial dire straits and now not having a car is going to potentially threaten her employment, which would basically push her down even deeper into a hole. The worst part is that there's nothing I can do about it. I hope she's able to get her poo poo together. :(

Offer her a ride to work and schedule her when you work too ?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

CzarChasm posted:

He put ketchup on the hot dog at the end. Anything else he said previous is invalidated.

It's just about the only good use for terrible yellow mustard, so why would you use ketchup? Yes relish, yes onions, no ketchup.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

I'm.... just worried some poor fool is going to do this to an uncooked sausage and ruin it forever :ohdear:

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 2, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
ef;b

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

GrAviTy84 posted:

I don't think that would work with fancier sausages though. I get that aidells stuff at costco sometimes but it suffers from too-short-for-the-bun syndrome.

For the most part I avoid this problem by always making my own buns for any bun requiring foods but then sometimes I mis-eyeball the pre-proofed size and it ends up too big anyway. :v:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

There are very few cuisines that I haven't had any real exposure to, but here is one of them.

Native American food! (specifically, Ojibwe)

http://imgur.com/gallery/peGtE

The only thing that I've seen before is the frybread, which Wiggles did for an ICSA.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Native food is super regional. Out here, maple syrup and wild rice would be completely foreign, but there would be a lot of emphasis on pine nuts, trout, cat tails, mesquite, prickly pear, etc.

You mention the fry bread, though, which is the one glaring exception to this rule. It's pan-native, a remnant of the US government providing flour and lard to the tribes as comodities over the course of a century.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
My brother brought me back a giant sourdough country loaf from Tartine in SF and I'd have to say it lives up to the hype. Trying to figure out how to polish off the rest of the loaf, I'll be eating lots of BLTs over the next few days I guess :getin:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Oh my god. These forums are hilarious.

First off, you have the thread from GBS, with /gems/ like this one:

LifeSizePotato posted:

i've never had tater tot casserole but it sounds like one of those things that's objectively delicious if you get past your "tasteless poor white people food" bias

Never had it, but OK. I just don't understand how it's poor white people food, when a bag of tater tots is like $3+ each, that pre-shredded cheese is also $$$, cream of ________ soup is a couple of bucks, and the the meat is the cheapest part of that meal.

limeincoke posted:

https://www.youtube.com/user/BrunoAlbouze

This guy is perfect for GWS. Unlike them though he's actually a professional private chef, so taking 3 days to cook 1 single meal is less spergy and more he's getting paid a poo poo load of money to do it.

Also he makes the most kickass poo poo I've ever seen.

So we watched it in IRC. Dear god, that dude is insufferably irritating. Professional private chef. OK then.

And then FYAD gets wind of it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647273&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

In more "Adventures of Dino venturing out of GWS", here is the quickest E/N thread ever:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647817

dino. fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 4, 2014

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I love you, dino.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Read the op of the gbs thread and realized its just a fantasy of what they imagine people who cook a lot sound like. Did not read further.