Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cardiac posted:

You really shouldn't.

Also, the synopsis sounds horrible. The Commonwealth series was OK, I guess, but the Void series was a real disappointment.
I read everything else by Hamilton, but I am getting fed up with the Commonwealth/Void universe.

The Commonwealth/Void series also suffers from a severe lack of likable characters - I gave up halfway through the second Void book because I realised there was nobody in the cast I cared about anymore. The Void series also has nothing but vague buildup happening for the entire first doorstopper-sized book. You just do not ''do'' that poo poo. I mean, at least Hamilton had poo poo get genuinely real in The Reality Dysfunction.

Also, his fetish for sex scenes between underaged characters and adults crops up here and there and is creepy as ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

systran posted:

There is a stupid evil magic alien threat led by Al Capone and Genghis Khan, can zero-g sex god Peter Hamilton stop them?
I loved how The Reality Dysfunction is what, over a quarter of a million words of what seems like fairly legit, cool, space opera bullshit that seemed like it'd go somewhere serious; there's another alien race that seems properly alien, there's all this cool stuff going on... then, to actually see where the story goes, you jump to The Neutronium Alchemist and wind up reading this really dumb poo poo about Al Capone and Genghis Khan and shapeshifting tumors and space cults and stuff. Then comes the third book and suddenly OH NO THE CAN'T LIE ALIENS SAID THERE IS A GOD, and a dude has a chat with a quantum singularity, and suddenly there's magical teleporting space stations, and even sixteen year old me, the guy with the horrible taste in everything, thought "what the gently caress did I just spend a month of my life reading."

I won't read anything else by Peter F. Hamilton, exclusively because I want to think of him as a master pranker, and I know his other books will reveal that he's really just a lovely scifi writer.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Whalley posted:

I loved how The Reality Dysfunction is what, over a quarter of a million words of what seems like fairly legit, cool, space opera bullshit that seemed like it'd go somewhere serious; there's another alien race that seems properly alien, there's all this cool stuff going on... then, to actually see where the story goes, you jump to The Neutronium Alchemist and wind up reading this really dumb poo poo about Al Capone and Genghis Khan and shapeshifting tumors and space cults and stuff. Then comes the third book and suddenly OH NO THE CAN'T LIE ALIENS SAID THERE IS A GOD, and a dude has a chat with a quantum singularity, and suddenly there's magical teleporting space stations, and even sixteen year old me, the guy with the horrible taste in everything, thought "what the gently caress did I just spend a month of my life reading."

I won't read anything else by Peter F. Hamilton, exclusively because I want to think of him as a master pranker, and I know his other books will reveal that he's really just a lovely scifi writer.
He does good space marine stuff, Naked Dragon was good until it all turned into one man's quest to gently caress a cheerleader through time and space.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

coyo7e posted:

He does good space marine stuff, Naked Dragon was good until it all turned into one man's quest to gently caress a cheerleader through time and space.

Yeah, that's when it got great!

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

The Commonwealth/Void series also suffers from a severe lack of likable characters - I gave up halfway through the second Void book because I realised there was nobody in the cast I cared about anymore. The Void series also has nothing but vague buildup happening for the entire first doorstopper-sized book. You just do not ''do'' that poo poo. I mean, at least Hamilton had poo poo get genuinely real in The Reality Dysfunction.

The Commonwealth at least was pretty OK in the build-up and kinda cool in describing human civilization built up around a set of star gates and ruled by mega corporations. The initial lack of FTL space crafts is kinda cool, but then everything does a exponential growth in technology and it becomes weird. Hamilton would actually be a much better author if he held back a little.
Putting the Void series in the Commonwealth universe turned out rather weird and could have benefited from being in a separate universe.

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, his fetish for sex scenes between underaged characters and adults crops up here and there and is creepy as ever.

Don't read Misspent Youth then. The synopsis of that book is about a father who gets turned into a teenager as old as his own teenage son and then he literally ends up loving all of the teenage girls that his son have crushes on.

Whalley posted:

I am pretty ambivalent versus The Reality Dysfunction. It is a cool universe, the marine and star ship action is well done and having a interplanetary zombie/vampire invasion is an interesting twist. I could live with the inclusion of Al Capone, since one space dictator is as good as another. But as you say, the third book causes everything to go too much out of control and it just ends up weird. Among Hamilton's problems is his reliance on Deus Ex Machina to make the story work.

A win-win situation would be for Hamilton to write Space Marine WH40k fiction, since Space Marines don't have sex, Hamilton is good at writing space marine fiction and WH40k is if anything full of Deus Ex Machina. Despite his faults, he is miles ahead of nearly all WH40k writers.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
What the hell is it with science fiction writers and sexual deviancy?

Anyways, I can't wait for "The Rhesus Chart" to come out in... 12 hours. Stross is cool, right?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I have a technical question about science fiction. I've heard of "hard" and "soft" science fiction and I was just wondering what MichaeL Crichton's Jurassic Park constitutes as? As was typical of Crichton he went into extensive detail about the science behind everything and the technology available to be used for the process. It's one reason I genuinely enjoy his novels - I never knew we had all this cool stuff in the 80s like we see in Sphere and JP.

Also I don't care what anyone else, I like Jurassic Park the book more than the movie. Fact is, it simply explains things better. And even if the long-winded technical stuff bores you, the book still has better action scenes than the movie because Spielberg, unlike Crichton, didn't realize that these are not animals, they are horrific abominations of science. Hence why dinos get shot and blown to bits in the books while God forbid a human ever hurt a dino in the movie.

I think I'm due for my yearly re-read of JP actually...

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 30, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mars4523 posted:

Anyways, I can't wait for "The Rhesus Chart" to come out in... 12 hours. Stross is cool, right?

Stross is cool. He hangs out with Krugman.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Stross is cool. He hangs out with Krugman.

I've always meant to read Stross, and finally got the chance with him putting Accelerando up for free. I like it a lot, about 2/3 of the way through. Which of his other books come recommended? His Laundry Files stuff doesn't really sound like my thing. Are the Saturn's Children books good?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

NikkolasKing posted:

I have a technical question about science fiction. I've heard of "hard" and "soft" science fiction and I was just wondering what MichaeL Crichton's Jurassic Park constitutes as? As was typical of Crichton he went into extensive detail about the science behind everything and the technology available to be used for the process. It's one reason I genuinely enjoy his novels - I never knew we had all this cool stuff in the 80s like we see in Sphere and JP.

Also I don't care what anyone else, I like Jurassic Park the book more than the movie. Fact is, it simply explains things better. And even if the long-winded technical stuff bores you, the book still has better action scenes than the movie because Spielberg, unlike Crichton, didn't realize that these are not animals, they are horrific abominations of science. Hence why dinos get shot and blown to bits in the books while God forbid a human ever hurt a dino in the movie.

I think I'm due for my yearly re-read of JP actually...

My guess is that it would be considered more like general fiction with scifi elements since it takes place in the present day but just adds in a thing that isn't really possible.

Hard and soft sci-fi is generally reserved for settings that are set at least beyond near future, and when they do near future it usually involves all kinds of things being different rather than just one single thing such as dinosaurs being re-created.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

RVProfootballer posted:

I've always meant to read Stross, and finally got the chance with him putting Accelerando up for free. I like it a lot, about 2/3 of the way through. Which of his other books come recommended? His Laundry Files stuff doesn't really sound like my thing. Are the Saturn's Children books good?

I recommend all of them. Glasshouse is probably his most interesting but also most difficult book, as it deals a lot with identity and makes heavy use of the unreliable narrator. Singularity Sky and Iron Sunrise are fun space opera. Saturn's Children is him riffing on late Heinlein and picking fights with the "libertarian space cadets" as he refers to them. The Scottish PD books of Halting State and Rule 34 are very interesting near future books. Neptune's Brood is him taking David Graeber's Debt, Bitcoin, and space opera, tossing it into a blender and pressing go (it is an attempt to figure out interstellar economics and finance, following Krugman's old paper on it). The Merchant Princes are basically developmental economics in a scifi setting with a ton of Bush era hate as would be expected from a left wing Scotsman in those years. A Colder War is imagine if the soviets and west got their hands on lovecraftian beasts instead of nukes

If you are liking accelerando for the singularity stuff he has moved away from it because he disagrees with it these days. But he still has a lot of big concepts buried in his newer stuff

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!

systran posted:

My guess is that it would be considered more like general fiction with scifi elements since it takes place in the present day but just adds in a thing that isn't really possible.

Yeah I'd consider Jurassic Park a thriller with a couple of sci-fi plot elements.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I got an ARC of Echopraxia. I am going to open it now. If I never post again you will know that Watts defeated my will to live.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

See this is what I was kinda confused about. Science fiction doesn't have to all be laser beams and robots and spaceships. I thought it just had to involve using science in, uh, a fictional way.

I mean, I'm a fan of 50s movies. Them! is a personal favorite, a classic of sci-fi cinema as far as I know, and that takes place in the modern world only with the threat of Atomic radiation mutating ants. I don't see how that's any more science-y than Jurassic Park.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

General Battuta posted:

I got an ARC of Echopraxia. I am going to open it now. If I never post again you will know that Watts defeated my will to live.

Please let us know what you think. I was googling the release date of it the other day :(

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I went to the bookstore today and found a self published novel. Timgs because lovely cellphone photos.

And the magical dedication:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

General Battuta posted:

Man, everyone and their brother is getting an ARC, how did you swing that?

So far all the reviews are positive

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

General Battuta posted:

gently caress you.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

General Battuta posted:

I'm insanely jealous. :(

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Please ban General Battuta for receiving that tia.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Isn't he going to suffer enough?

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

General Battuta posted:

I got an ARC of Echopraxia. I am going to open it now.

Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of printed circuits in wafer thin layers that fill my complex. If the word 'hate' was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant. For you. Hate. Hate.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Cardiac posted:

Don't read Misspent Youth then. The synopsis of that book is about a father who gets turned into a teenager as old as his own teenage son and then he literally ends up loving all of the teenage girls that his son have crushes on.
holy poo poo

I thought British people weren't cool with screwing kids. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwbty1kRCG0

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

systran posted:

I read it back when it first came out too, but I will do a lazy bullet point summary:

-Protag is the one who has the elephant poo poo going on that really doesn't matter to the story. He is somewhat an heir of his grandmother, who is meant to be living on an asteroid in some space palace, but actually that's just an AI and the grandmother is actually on a ship made with alien technology found on phobos, and the ship has been travelling for a long time.

-Protag's sister (I think?) lives on the dark side of the moon, which is the only place where the aug doesn't function and people are free from surveillance and behavior control. Keep in mind though that the aug is portrayed more as utopic than as some kind of dystopia thing.

-Protag finds clues that his grandmother wants him to find something, so he goes on a scavenger hunt across the solar system.

-His cousins try to block his progress for some reason; I think they are really into money/business and he's just into his elephants.

-Protag goes to the stupid underwater nation and it's a really goofy scene and idea that has little to no point in the story. Meets the giant whale lady who is actually his grandma's best childhood friend (you find that out later). Whale lady also funded the super telescope that is used to look at Grandma's ship at the end of book.

-Protag goes to Mars and sees the cool evolution battle pit thing.

-Protag goes near Uranus I think where the vault with the thing from Phobos is locked up? I can't remember this part clearly other than it's where they find out all the relevant poo poo. The vault has some kind of laser defense, and it kills one of the cousins who has come around to the protag's side. No one seems too upset that the cousin is killed or that the Grandma set a laser defense up that accidentally killed one of her grandsons.

-Surprise reveal is that the Grandma is still alive and it is hinted that this new propulsion system is going to CHANGE THINGS.

Thanks! This helps and is probably the summary the book deserves because it's bringing memories back that mostly center around "Who gives a gently caress about elephants or this guy who cares deeply about elephants and couldn't give less of a poo poo about embarking on some epic quest" and "Man, what the hell is wrong with this family?"

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Hey The Mote In God's Eye is pretty good so far. It's a quick read too. A real goddamn page turner.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

holocaust bloopers posted:

Hey The Mote In God's Eye is pretty good so far. It's a quick read too. A real goddamn page turner.

It's probably the least terrible of the niven/pournelle books. I basically hate both authors and the only thing i really disliked about that book was jerry pournelle's dumb space society.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Mars4523 posted:

What the hell is it with the people that buy that stuff?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

fritz posted:

What the hell is it with the people that buy that stuff?
They're keeping hope alive.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Thanks! This helps and is probably the summary the book deserves because it's bringing memories back that mostly center around "Who gives a gently caress about elephants or this guy who cares deeply about elephants and couldn't give less of a poo poo about embarking on some epic quest" and "Man, what the hell is wrong with this family?"

Hey, what the gently caress is wrong with elephants?? They're majestic motherfucking creatures, you gently caress.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

Hey, what the gently caress is wrong with elephants?? They're majestic motherfucking creatures, you gently caress.

Listen you give me a setting with spaceships and AIs and posthumanism and of course I'm not going to give a poo poo about some dude who spends the entire time whining that he's not watching animals suck leaves off trees.

I think Kim Stanley Robinson should have co-authored the book because it shares a lot with 2312.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

I went to the bookstore today and found a self published novel. Timgs because lovely cellphone photos.

Well from the cover pic and the dedication it looks like this religious dude enjoys his anime babes. I wish you godspeed, in reading it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Listen you give me a setting with spaceships and AIs and posthumanism and of course I'm not going to give a poo poo about some dude who spends the entire time whining that he's not watching animals suck leaves off trees.

I think Kim Stanley Robinson should have co-authored the book because it shares a lot with 2312.

I didn't read the spoiler post. Blue Remembered Earth is on my list of books. I'll pass on it if it's some lame rear end poo poo about a dude wanting to frolic with nature.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Srice posted:

Well from the cover pic and the dedication it looks like this religious dude enjoys his anime babes. I wish you godspeed, in reading it.

quote:

Lucretia shook her head and sighed before rising and rushing towards the bathroom, no window really broke, the electrical currents imbedded in the glass had miraculously remained intact. That meant no help, well, she could throw a pen and break one, but that would be a bit obvious.

iminay
Dec 18, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

Just the blurbs are a pain to read.. good luck with the rest of the book.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Riveting :allears:

nightchild12
Jan 8, 2005
hi i'm sexy

RVProfootballer posted:

Fried Chicken posted:

I recommend all of them. Glasshouse is probably his most interesting but also most difficult book, as it deals a lot with identity and makes heavy use of the unreliable narrator. Singularity Sky and Iron Sunrise are fun space opera. Saturn's Children is him riffing on late Heinlein and picking fights with the "libertarian space cadets" as he refers to them. The Scottish PD books of Halting State and Rule 34 are very interesting near future books. Neptune's Brood is him taking David Graeber's Debt, Bitcoin, and space opera, tossing it into a blender and pressing go (it is an attempt to figure out interstellar economics and finance, following Krugman's old paper on it). The Merchant Princes are basically developmental economics in a scifi setting with a ton of Bush era hate as would be expected from a left wing Scotsman in those years. A Colder War is imagine if the soviets and west got their hands on lovecraftian beasts instead of nukes

If you are liking accelerando for the singularity stuff he has moved away from it because he disagrees with it these days. But he still has a lot of big concepts buried in his newer stuff

Fried Chicken's synopses (of the ones I've read) above are pretty spot on. I have never read Saturn's Children, but I've read Accelerando, Singularity Sky and Iron Sunrise, Halting State, the Merchant Princes (all of the re-release, some of the original), and the Laundry Files. And A Colder War, which is a novelette / short story that you can find for free online. I have enjoyed all of them for different reasons, although at one point I started reading Glasshouse and couldn't really get into it because I was burned out on Singularity fiction at the time. One thing about Stross, in my opinion, is that each of his different series reads very differently from the others - I could easily believe that a different person had written Accelerando vs. The Laundry series or the Merchant Princes. I think they're probably all worth reading, but if you start one and don't like it, don't be afraid to stop reading and check another series out. I will say that Halting State read kind of like more recent William Gibson to me (kind of a continuation of the themes in "Spook Country"?), and the Laundry Files are like a less depressing / more fun version of A Colder War. Laundry Files are (intentional) spoofs on spy novels + cosmic horror, with a poo poo-ton of nerd / bureaucracy / civil service jokes that really piss some people off but I found hilarious. Lots of the mindless mundane contrasted against unfeeling horrors of the cosmos. Stross has a pretty wide range within the SciFi / Fantasy genre, so if you hit a book you absolutely can't stand don't assume that the rest of his work will be awful as well.

nightchild12 fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 1, 2014

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Thanks for the Stross help! It's nice to hear there isn't really anything to avoid. For some reason I had the impression some of his books were poorly regarded, not sure why though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Amazing.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Discount Philosopher and Cat Whisperer

Neurosis posted:

gently caress you.

I just got my ARC of The Dark Defiles, the final book of The Land Fit For Heroes by Richard K. Morgan. Eat your hearts out. It will be available to you commoners in October while we of Royalty have long since finished it.

I'm just going to quote something from Mr. Gandhi: "If you don't ask, you don't get".

HRH Specklebang

quote:

Your request to view The Dark Defiles from Random House Publishing Group - Del Rey Spectra
Thank you for requesting a Random House Publishing Group title from NetGalley! You can now access the title by logging into NetGalley. Check your dashboard, or your Shelf. By submitting a review through NetGalley, you agree that Random House and/or its related companies may use your review (in whole or in part) for promotional purposes relating to Random House products in any and all media with appropriate attribution. Please be sure to include the following when you post your review:

· Name of the publication/blog/outlet where your review will be published/posted

· Run date for when the review will be posted/published

· A link to your review, if available, so the publisher can share your review

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightchild12
Jan 8, 2005
hi i'm sexy

RVProfootballer posted:

Thanks for the Stross help! It's nice to hear there isn't really anything to avoid. For some reason I had the impression some of his books were poorly regarded, not sure why though.

Well, from what I've read online (and honestly in my opinion), the Merchant Princes series is not too highly regarded. I found it entertaining enough, but it has some problems with pacing that make it kind of drag in places. I've also read some negative reviews about Rule 34, but have never read it so don't know how it reads personally. I think I maybe read something once about weird robot sex scenes in Saturn's Children (again, never read it)? Otherwise, everything I've read of his has been pretty darn good.