Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
What the poo poo man. Six weeks ago, Waves SoundShifter (for real time time and pitch shifting) was a $500 plugin. Five weeks ago they dropped the price to $149 (when I bought it, woo-hoo).

Today only it's on sale for $29.

http://www.waves.com/plugins/soundshifter

:bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Radiapathy posted:

What the poo poo man. Six weeks ago, Waves SoundShifter (for real time time and pitch shifting) was a $500 plugin. Five weeks ago they dropped the price to $149 (when I bought it, woo-hoo).

LOL, owned. But thanks anyway, just picked this up.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Radiapathy posted:

Nice! Thanks for complaining about it I'm picking this up too

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

I'm here to help, guys.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Radiapathy posted:

This rules but I am sorry about that for you. Picked it up.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
http://makingelectronicmusic.tumblr.com/post/84812977127/when-a-plugin-you-bought-is-turned-into-freeware :)

phybersyko
Dec 8, 2003
When hell is full, the dead will walk the Earth.
Hey gang, Eventide is offering their UltraChannel VST/AU plugin for free..
http://eventideplugins.elasticbeanstalk.com/ultrachannel.jsp

Use this code: 04EDD7CD

The d/l is available until July 8th, 2014 -- when the price will jump to ~$250.

It requires an iLok account (also free). Enjoy.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.
Speaking of Waves, they have a summer sale going where they discount a lot of their bundles and some of their more basic products. Today's the last day so make sure you check it out!

http://www.waves.com/specials

I picked up the Gold bundle because it finally was at a more affordable price, at $349 instead of the usual $800. I can't wait to finally go and try those plugins.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Everyone following this thread probably already knows, but the Kaivo 1.1 update is out for Mac and Windows (since, like, June 17). With DSP code optimizations! And more!

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

UVI just released "Vintage Vault", which bundles all but one of their vintage synth libraries for $500 USD. Linking to KVR because UVI's site is getting slammed.

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/vintage-vault-by-uvi/details

(The missing one is the WaveFrame Sound Collection, which was a special collaboration with the current holder of the WaveFrame IP.)

I have already bought most of the included libraries, one by one. I got all of them during sales, but I definitely spent more than the current asking price, altogether. To lessen the sting, though UVI just emailed me a license to get the Vintage Vault for free, which will grant me the three remaining libraries I'd been holding out for, which is pretty cool.

I really like their libraries, because they mostly try to deliver new usable sounds with vintage hardware, rather than just give you a bunch of factory presets. Their more recent libraries also have cool scripted UIs.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Radiapathy posted:

UVI just released "Vintage Vault", which bundles all but one of their vintage synth libraries for $500 USD. Linking to KVR because UVI's site is getting slammed.

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/vintage-vault-by-uvi/details

(The missing one is the WaveFrame Sound Collection, which was a special collaboration with the current holder of the WaveFrame IP.)

I have already bought most of the included libraries, one by one. I got all of them during sales, but I definitely spent more than the current asking price, altogether. To lessen the sting, though UVI just emailed me a license to get the Vintage Vault for free, which will grant me the three remaining libraries I'd been holding out for, which is pretty cool.

I really like their libraries, because they mostly try to deliver new usable sounds with vintage hardware, rather than just give you a bunch of factory presets. Their more recent libraries also have cool scripted UIs.

How to these compare to things like FM8 and the Arturia replications? There's some great demos of Darklight but the others seem fairly spartan.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 3, 2014

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

WorldWarWonderful posted:

How to these compare to things like FM8 and the Arturia replications? There's some great demos of Darklight but the others seem fairly spartan.
These are more like Kontakt instruments than modeled synths like the ones you mentioned.

They're all sample-based, but some of them are designed such that they use the sampled raw waveforms of the original synths but give you access to all the synth parameters in a custom UI to make your own presets.

With most of them they designed their original sounds on the actual hardware and sampled that. Everything they've released in the past 2 or 3 years has a nice custom UI like the high-end NI Kontakt instruments do. Several of them have sequencers or drum machines.

Their older libraries, like the Synths Anthology aren't scripted and just use the default UVI Workstation macro controls (which give you a lot more control than just a generic Kontakt instrument does). The patches are sorted by category in virtual folders that you browse in UVI Workstation or MOTU MachFive.

Another twist is that beginning with Vintage Vault, all their libraries are now using FLAC compression, so the libraries themselves are literally half their previous size but allegedly sound the same.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Radiapathy posted:

Another twist is that beginning with Vintage Vault, all their libraries are now using FLAC compression, so the libraries themselves are literally half their previous size but allegedly sound the same.

So is it an apples and oranges kind of thing? I'm looking for new stuff to play with that doesn't sound too much like the stuff I've used (FM8, Massive, Absynth, CS80V, FMDrive, Diva). I kind of use one VST exclusively for two years and write ten songs or so, and then move on to the next. I like that cold 80s sound which is why this seems neat, but I always worry if things play nice with Renoise. VSTs that run in a container, like Reaktor, can be a little finicky.

I'll have to poke around on Soundcloud I guess. It looks like a fantastic deal that has more that interests me than Komplete did, and see if I have a place for it. I don't care for sampled stuff but admittedly it's been a while since I've tried one (I think Atmosphere was the last time I used something non-modeled).

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 3, 2014

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

I kind of use one VST exclusively for two years and write ten songs or so, and then move on to the next. I like that cold 80s sound which is why this seems neat, but I always worry if things play nice with Renoise. VSTs that run in a container, like Reaktor, can be a little finicky.
Yeah, UVI Workstation (the free plugin that hosts all the UVI libraries) and MachFive are both VSTs. You might experiment with the free Workstation download (it includes a small sample library) to see if it works out for you in technical terms.

I think they also still offer the free Analogic Piano instrument, which is really cool (it's a recreation of an old Roland electric piano, with arpeggiator and effects), and another way to test the plugin compatibility.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 3, 2014

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I bought it because I was tired of wanting it. Hopefully it proves useful (once I finally download it all).

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

I bought it because I was tired of wanting it.
Story of my life, bro.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I'm almost there with Kirnu Cream. Someone talk me out of/into it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Trig Discipline posted:

I'm almost there with Kirnu Cream. Someone talk me out of/into it.
I've only played with the free version, but I think it either makes a pretty strong case for itself if it suits your way of working, or you couldn't care less for arpeggiators in general.

Just watching tutorial videos on it right now, I'm tempted myself. It's not really expensive and it does what it promises on the tin.

I mean, I'm crazy about fiddling with the arpeggiator on my Blofeld and then get bummed out because it won't sync properly. I've only messed with Kirnu way back when I had shitloads of technical problems with my setup and I sorta forgot it existed. I'm definitely going to try the demo now, so thanks for reminding me anyway.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
I committed the sin of upgrading my processor twice in a year - now I can't get at my licenses in Waves License Center. I guess I should have recovered the license to My License Cloud, right?

Anyone have any ideas other than going through support?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

IrvingWashington posted:

I committed the sin of upgrading my processor twice in a year - now I can't get at my licenses in Waves License Center. I guess I should have recovered the license to My License Cloud, right?

Anyone have any ideas other than going through support?
If you swap the processor back out you should have access to the licenses again.

For what it's worth, I keep my licenses on a USB drive, which lifts the system change restrictions. It's kind of lame to have three different dongles for licenses (I have eLicenser, iLok, and the Waves thing), but they work fine hanging off a USB hub.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Radiapathy posted:

If you swap the processor back out you should have access to the licenses again.

For what it's worth, I keep my licenses on a USB drive, which lifts the system change restrictions. It's kind of lame to have three different dongles for licenses (I have eLicenser, iLok, and the Waves thing), but they work fine hanging off a USB hub.

Thanks - I got some decent support (which I was not expecting given the way their website behaves), and yeah, I'll just live with a keychain of USB drives from now on , thanks for the tip :)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

so I finally gave in and bought Spitfire's Albion I and holy poo poo it is amazing and crazy fun to play with

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Earwicker posted:

so I finally gave in and bought Spitfire's Albion I and holy poo poo it is amazing and crazy fun to play with

can you do a 20 minute remake the Game of Thrones intro, you should do that and post it in the covers thread :allears:

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

I just learned about the Boscomac collection of Reaktor ensembles, and holy poo poo. Synths, beatboxes, effects that not only sound great and unique, but actually look great too?

It's donationware that earns it bigtime.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Radiapathy posted:

I just learned about the Boscomac collection of Reaktor ensembles, and holy poo poo. Synths, beatboxes, effects that not only sound great and unique, but actually look great too?

It's donationware that earns it bigtime.

These are amazing, thanks for sharing.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Heads up for the three of us who don't have them: Arturia's V Collection is half off for the next month on their site.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
Also a lot of the UVI catalog is on sale. I bought the whole Vault collection but the drum machine collection is easily worth the hundred bucks. The rest, your mileage may vary.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Are there any Reaktor users who want to help test something? I made this over the past few days and I'm sure it's full of bugs. I'm pretty happy with it so far though:

It's a synthesizer where the oscillator pitches always snap to the programmed scale. You can automate them up and down and they'll automatically sing at you. You can already make some really fun stuff with it.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/8027/
alternative d/l: http://pleasesendhelp.com/reaktor/Creosote_0.1.zip

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I already have the Oberheim, if I was to buy one more of the Arturia synths are there any standouts?

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Since I mentioned it first in the synth thread, but meant to drop a link here: VSTSpeek is a VST or AU-wrapped assembly-to-C recreation of the C64 Software Automatic Mouth. Original assembly-to-C port by Sebastian Macke, VST and AU plugins from the Wavosaur guys. I'm messing with it alongside messing with VOCALOID for some weird lyrical/musical tinkering and experiments (heavily processed by CDP).

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
DontCrack has their VIP bundle on sale for $49 at the moment. I got it yesterday, and there's some stuff in it that sounds like it might be useful. It's a bit over a buck per effect, so it's kinda hard to go wrong.

http://www.dontcrack.com/news/2014/08/5-000-plug-and-mix-v-i-p-bundles-at-only-49/

ghostofbox
Aug 17, 2014

Obfuscating Elucidator
Is it pretty much impossible to make high quality stuff using only free plugins? I feel like I'm limiting myself, but I'm on Linux so I don't want to pay for a plugin that may not emulate correctly.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

As many people have speculated, it does appear that Komplete 10 is going to be announced soon- and that it's going to be accompanied by a line of keyboards. An online store called Music Arts has added several Komplete 10/Kontrol bundles to their site.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

LordPants posted:

I already have the Oberheim, if I was to buy one more of the Arturia synths are there any standouts?

I find myself using the Prophet and Arp2600 the least, but my favourites are the Jupiter and CS80v synths, by far. Aside from effects and the 707 percussion, everything here was made with the Jupiter and CS80v:

https://soundcloud.com/adamconcept/departures-1

I made it last week. I used the CS80v synth ages ago and I figured for two hundred dollars it's worth owning it for the two. I'll also toss in that the MiniV is a nice surprise and there's some great sounds to be made.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Radiapathy posted:

As many people have speculated, it does appear that Komplete 10 is going to be announced soon- and that it's going to be accompanied by a line of keyboards. An online store called Music Arts has added several Komplete 10/Kontrol bundles to their site.

It's gonna take something really cool to get me to upgrade to 10, I already feel like I don't use anything but Massive and Guitar Rig. The keyboard thing is super interesting. I love my maschine hardware, so a good keyboard would be nice. I was going to pick this up, but if their solution is better and not too expensive I'll grab it.

edit: I love the Arturia Juptier synth, the step sequencer is fun.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ghostofbox posted:

Is it pretty much impossible to make high quality stuff using only free plugins?

Not at all. synth1 is free and extremely versatile, you can make a ton of great stuff with it. also CamelCrunch is free I believe and is excellent for big heavy sounds.

Swagger Dagger posted:

It's gonna take something really cool to get me to upgrade to 10, I already feel like I don't use anything but Massive and Guitar Rig.

I just got 9 recently and I love it and am already using everything constantly. Especially The Giant, West Africa, most of the Abbey Road kits, Damage, and yes of course Massive. I've been doing a lot of work with FM8 recently as well though that's very time consuming.

ghostofbox
Aug 17, 2014

Obfuscating Elucidator

Earwicker posted:

Not at all. synth1 is free and extremely versatile, you can make a ton of great stuff with it. also CamelCrunch is free I believe and is excellent for big heavy sounds.

Cool, thanks for the suggestions! I'd heard about synth1, but didn't realize it was that powerful.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ghostofbox posted:

Cool, thanks for the suggestions! I'd heard about synth1, but didn't realize it was that powerful.

If you buy a copy of Computer Music magazine it comes with a large amount of synth and effects plugins which are surprisingly high quality, a lot of them are cut-down versions of commercial plugins but still have a lot of features. If you have an iOS device you can get a free 2 month trial subscription of the magazine in NewsStand and not pay anything for them.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
There's much nicer stuff than Synth1 available for free, http://www.u-he.com/cms/tyrelln6 for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

So are vst plugin bridges for Linux now worth poo poo or something? Because you peeps keep suggesting things that don't have a native Linux version and I'm wondering if it's become worth the trouble to turn an old computer in a Linux musicstation or if you're just frustrating the guy more with great stuff he can't use.