Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Dexo posted:

Now she can be a weirdo spirit 12 year old in love.

Carnal affairs distract from metaphysical concerns,or in other words, why talk to a mouse fairy when Craig is suuuch a hunk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I get the feeling getting thrown in prison training camp will be his wake up call. Just a thought.
Getting thrown in prison rarely corrects criminals. It probably isn't the first time this has happened to the boy.

The Earth Queen's treatment of her airbender citizens seems a little strange. If conscription is legal in the Earth Kingdom, there should be no need to secretly kidnap airbenders.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Baron Bifford posted:

Getting thrown in prison rarely corrects criminals. It probably isn't the first time this has happened to the boy.

The Earth Queen's treatment of her airbender citizens seems a little strange. If conscription is legal in the Earth Kingdom, there should be no need to secretly kidnap airbenders.
Even if she wasn't secret about it usually, telling a master airbender politician and the avatar that you are imprisoning the potential rebirth of a nation isn't the best plan. :v:

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
Air benders were basically erased by genocide so a war being launched "because" of humanitarian concerns isn't unreasonable.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Bifford posted:

Think less "it's alright to tell people they're joining the army" and more "it's bad to let enemies know you making an army".

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Think less "it's alright to tell people they're joining the army" and more "it's bad to let enemies know you making an army".

Also, this is a show for kids and they need to show just how crazy evil the queen is.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Zedd posted:

Even if she wasn't secret about it usually, telling a master airbender politician and the avatar that you are imprisoning the potential rebirth of a nation isn't the best plan. :v:
Well, Tenzin went around the Earth Kingdom and pretty much every airbender he talked to told him to piss off, so I don't know why the Earth Queen has to fear him taking away her precious airbender citizens. Maybe she wants a secret ace up her sleeve.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Vincent posted:

Also, this is a show for kids and they need to show just how crazy evil the queen is.

/this is how feudal armies and child soldiers are actually made.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Dexo posted:

Now she can be a weirdo spirit 12 year old in love.

Most 12 year olds in these shows act contrary to how they normally would anyway. She's weird by default.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Baron Bifford posted:

Maybe she wants a secret ace up her sleeve.

This is the most likely explanation. Airbenders are incredibly new, and that means that the first nation to train them en masse is going to have an enormous tactical advantage. Combine that with the fact that the Earth Kingdom has a lot of fantasy North Korea to it (and thus a gigantic military fetish), and you have all the reason you need.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Darth Walrus posted:

This is the most likely explanation. Airbenders are incredibly new, and that means that the first nation to train them en masse is going to have an enormous tactical advantage. Combine that with the fact that the Earth Kingdom has a lot of fantasy North Korea to it (and thus a gigantic military fetish), and you have all the reason you need.

I don't know why people are making all these North Korea comparisons. It's really Empress Dowager Cixi and the late Ching Empire all the way (except that historians are revising their opinion of Cixi in some interesting books), right down to the empire land being taken by foreigners.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

dj_clawson posted:

I don't know why people are making all these North Korea comparisons. It's really Empress Dowager Cixi and the late Ching Empire all the way (except that historians are revising their opinion of Cixi in some interesting books), right down to the empire land being taken by foreigners.

It caught on really early and most people just keep running with it. Also, ShadowCatBoy's effort post was lost in the noise of the episode releases.

ShadowCatboy posted:

Well it's also that Ba Sing Se is based strongly off of the late Chinese Qing dynasty, one of two dynasties in which a foreign host (the Manchurians) seized control of the Empire from the native Han population. Because of this, several brutal reforms were put into place to quell rebellion, the most notable of which was the Queue Order, which forced all men in the empire to adopt the Manchurian-style Queue, where the hair is shaved at the front of the head, and worn as a long braid in the back:

The penalty of not doing so was death. It was a sign that the Han were forced to submit themselves to the Manchurian rulers.

The latter days of the Empire was overseen by several despotic or incompetent rulers, such as the young boy-emperor Puyi (who also appeared to be the basis for the previous Earth King, from the original ATLA series):

Or the Dowager Empress Cixi, who is popularly regarded as a despot. She may also have been the inspiration for the Earth Queen:

The full history of any dynasty is complex of course, but some of the common threads that runs through the Qing are oppression, stagnation, and resistance to change. So this may also have been a big influence in how Mike & Bryan conceived Ba Sing Se. Though yeah North Korea is also a very apt comparison.

EDIT: Also I know you guys probably hate him but holy crap Kai is such an adorable little scamp. Might also be because Kai is part of my Chinese name. :3:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

pentyne posted:

It caught on really early and most people just keep running with it. Also, ShadowCatBoy's effort post was lost in the noise of the episode releases.
Fact is that history tends to repeat itself so audiences will generally assume a reference is more contemporary than it actually is.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hey, Amazon Instant finally has a listing for Season 3...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LEXEZLM?ref_=atv_dp_season_select_s3

Except it's only the trailer as of right now.

Hopefully the actual episodes will be coming soon!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Level Slide posted:

Well now he's going to be a brainwashed child soldier*

*I haven't seen the leaked episodes
Man I knew Platinum Games was making a Korra game, but didn't expect Korra to start taking stuff from Metal Gear :v:

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

achillesforever6 posted:

Man I knew Platinum Games was making a Korra game, but didn't expect Korra to start taking stuff from Metal Gear :v:

You see, the parts of her name mean "Lightning Bolt".

I just picked that up on the summer sale and holy poo poo if I'm not even more excited for a Platinum made Korra game.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

dj_clawson posted:

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Fact is that history tends to repeat itself so audiences will generally assume a reference is more contemporary than it actually is.

Most people on SA also don't know poo poo about Chinese history (or most anything about China really.)

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
To be fair, the North Korea comparison was pretty decent in the original series given the severe information control being conducted by the Dai Lee. You know, "There is no war in Ba Sing Se," along with the use of "handlers" (Ju Dee) who are required intermediaries between foreign visitors and the rest of the populace.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel
There was also the picture of the "Dear Leader" in Bolin and Mako's grandma's house. Up till then I was thinking Qing era China but that certainly had North Korea vibes.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

ShadowCatboy posted:

To be fair, the North Korea comparison was pretty decent in the original series given the severe information control being conducted by the Dai Lee. You know, "There is no war in Ba Sing Se," along with the use of "handlers" (Ju Dee) who are required intermediaries between foreign visitors and the rest of the populace.

Actually, North Korea is ALWAYS at war with America, and is ALWAYS right about to win (given the chance), and the brainwashing is kind of different. They don't force you to believe it. They just say it and say it and say it until you DO believe it. It's taken for granted that you believe it.

The Dai Li were far more 1984 than any particular country.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Sorry, double post.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is pretty likely that it is not a 1-for-1 reference to any particular place but rather a combination of various sources.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Barlow posted:

There was also the picture of the "Dear Leader" in Bolin and Mako's grandma's house. Up till then I was thinking Qing era China but that certainly had North Korea vibes.

You could also make the argument for Communist Era China :shrug:

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

This tendency was brilliantly lampooned by The Onion once.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/obama-assures-americans-this-will-not-be-another-1,33719/

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

I got more of a 'old lady with a picture of the Pope on the wall' vibe from that, since the Emperor/Empress was also supposed to be divine in some manner (I think. Or was that just Japanese). Or maybe I just had too many Catholic grandmas with a picture of the Pope on one wall and JFK on the other growing up.

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008
It's interesting that when the party was at Ba Sing Se, there's no mention of any spirit mishaps that are occurring there. I was kindof disappointed they dropped that plot point completely for that episode.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Oracle posted:

I got more of a 'old lady with a picture of the Pope on the wall' vibe from that, since the Emperor/Empress was also supposed to be divine in some manner (I think. Or was that just Japanese). Or maybe I just had too many Catholic grandmas with a picture of the Pope on one wall and JFK on the other growing up.

her face was more "shhhhhhhhhhshutthefuckup or we're going stright to the workcamps"

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

People genuinely used to worship the Emperor, who ruled with the Mandate of Heaven. Modern Asian regimes have copied that because they're not dummies. Mao created a cult of popularity around himself leading up to the Cultural Revolution so that he could use public sentiment to eliminate his enemies, which at that point was everybody. Since the regime he's founded has never fallen (just altered over time) and his real history has never been shown in China, people still think of him as a god who could do no wrong and make a pilgrimage to his mausoleum.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
A lot of Asian countries have leader portraits

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

wait, there is a Korra season third?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Anime Device posted:

First 3 episodes legally released last Friday, first 6 episodes leaked 3 weeks ago in Spanish.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Anime Device posted:

I don't blame you for not realizing, because they announced it literally a week ago.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

TheAsterite posted:

It's interesting that when the party was at Ba Sing Se, there's no mention of any spirit mishaps that are occurring there. I was kindof disappointed they dropped that plot point completely for that episode.

Well, like, the whole point of Ba Sing Se is that is that it's a place where the book's titular change is being buried. It's pretty telling that it looks pretty much exactly like it did in ATLA, with everyone still in their Qing dynasty chic fashions. The Dai Li have taken pains to cover up the whole airbender thing-- the same is probably true of other major changes.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Nick just tweeted that they are re-airing the first three episodes this Friday instead of new episodes.

https://twitter.com/NickelodeonTV/status/484037279879815168

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

dj_clawson posted:

Nick just tweeted that they are re-airing the first three episodes this Friday instead of new episodes.

Don't the rest of you wish you paid more attention in Spanish class?

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

dj_clawson posted:

Well, we already knew that there wouldn't be any new episode this week, so I guess it's good news that they're taking even this minor opportunity to have more people watch the beginning.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

TheAsterite posted:

I think its sort of implied that pretty much all major spirit shenanigans are in Republic City right now, I guess because that's where the world punching happened.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Kibayasu posted:

I think its sort of implied that pretty much all major spirit shenanigans are in Republic City right now, I guess because that's where the world punching happened.

I think it's actually because Unavaatu created the vines there in the first place (during the finale kaiju battle), and they're a magnet for the spirits.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Jorenko posted:

I think it's actually because Unavaatu created the vines there in the first place (during the finale kaiju battle), and they're a magnet for the spirits.

So we should probably assume the vines are a spirit nexus further linking the two worlds. (Or they're made of bad vibes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Jorenko posted:

Also, spirits seem to be dicks. Even the nice ones turn immediately evil if you piss them off.

• Locked thread