Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
wait you got 10% for migranes? poo poo. 20% here I come. tinnitus and hearing loss+migranes from the af already and i've still got 3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Spit
May 18, 2006
Get it documented. There was a stretch of time in my last duty station I had to go to sick call once a week for like 8 months for them. I really don't have them more than a few times a year anymore, but following my deployment I had them at least once or twice a week.

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

King of Spit posted:

Get it documented. There was a stretch of time in my last duty station I had to go to sick call once a week for like 8 months for them. I really don't have them more than a few times a year anymore, but following my deployment I had them at least once or twice a week.

yeah I already have both documented with tricare and my pcm. i've learned from this forum that paperwork saves the day when it comes to va records

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

King of Spit posted:

So I have a question that I'm not really sure about.

I got out in 2007 and was rated 20%. 10% for migraines, 10% for Insomnia.

Few years go by, and recently I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. How does / should this impact my rating? What should I do?

Get medical evidence demonstrating that your sleep apnea began during military service. Sleep apnea and insomnia are technically viewed as two separate entities by VA. Insomnia is actually considered a mental disorder whereas sleep apnea is a respiratory condition. However, insomnia is often seen as a symptom or sign of possible sleep apnea, but sleep apnea cannot be diagnosed without an actual sleep study confirming it.

In your case, it's already been conceded that you had difficulty sleeping in service. Now what you need to prove is that that difficulty sleeping was actually a manifestation of your sleep apnea. That can be a little difficult to prove conclusively without a sleep study during service, especially as insomnia can be caused by a wide variety of underlying conditions. At this point, if you feel that your sleep apnea is related to your military service, file a claim as soon as you can. Like today if possible, as this will preserve your date of claim for the effective date. Then, begin gathering evidence supporting that your sleep apnea began during service, such as a statement from your doctor indicating their opinion that insomnia during your service at least as likely as not represented sleep apnea (and make him give you a rationale for that opinion), get statements from others who slept with you, bunk mates, your spouse, or whatever detailing their observations regarding symptoms that you believe represented sleep apnea during your service.

Now if the evidence is sufficient to support a finding of service connection, it would likely be assigned likely either a 30% evaluation if you experience daytime hypersomnolence, or a 50% evaluation if you have to use a breathing assistance device such as CPAP. If it were service connected, I would guess it would likely be combined with your insomnia and you'd likely end up with either a 40 or 60% evaluation overall depending on the severity of your sleep apnea.

Just one word of caution though, service connection is not a guarantee with an initial diagnosis of sleep apnea this far out of service. Getting that supporting evidence will really go a long way in helping to get the benefits you're entitled to.

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

Oh, sure, sure. I know you. You're gonna keep on saying I'm suave and sophisticated, and then when I start to believe it, then you're gonna say how pointy head I have, and how floppy arms I have, and how dull I am, I know you.
Dude sleep apnea is 50%, go for it.

King of Spit
May 18, 2006

cult_hero posted:

Get medical evidence demonstrating that your sleep apnea began during military service. Sleep apnea and insomnia are technically viewed as two separate entities by VA. Insomnia is actually considered a mental disorder whereas sleep apnea is a respiratory condition. However, insomnia is often seen as a symptom or sign of possible sleep apnea, but sleep apnea cannot be diagnosed without an actual sleep study confirming it.

In your case, it's already been conceded that you had difficulty sleeping in service. Now what you need to prove is that that difficulty sleeping was actually a manifestation of your sleep apnea. That can be a little difficult to prove conclusively without a sleep study during service, especially as insomnia can be caused by a wide variety of underlying conditions. At this point, if you feel that your sleep apnea is related to your military service, file a claim as soon as you can. Like today if possible, as this will preserve your date of claim for the effective date. Then, begin gathering evidence supporting that your sleep apnea began during service, such as a statement from your doctor indicating their opinion that insomnia during your service at least as likely as not represented sleep apnea (and make him give you a rationale for that opinion), get statements from others who slept with you, bunk mates, your spouse, or whatever detailing their observations regarding symptoms that you believe represented sleep apnea during your service.

Now if the evidence is sufficient to support a finding of service connection, it would likely be assigned likely either a 30% evaluation if you experience daytime hypersomnolence, or a 50% evaluation if you have to use a breathing assistance device such as CPAP. If it were service connected, I would guess it would likely be combined with your insomnia and you'd likely end up with either a 40 or 60% evaluation overall depending on the severity of your sleep apnea.

Just one word of caution though, service connection is not a guarantee with an initial diagnosis of sleep apnea this far out of service. Getting that supporting evidence will really go a long way in helping to get the benefits you're entitled to.

I have no idea how to get it though. I've been diagnosed with insomnia with plenty of supporting documentation for years of my service, but I've been out for 5 years. The sleep study was done recently, and nothing was really done to better diagnose insomnia while I was in the service.

I'll be filing the claim on Monday, so thanks for all the help. I would have filed it sooner, but honestly compeltely forgot how (it's been years since I filed my previous insomnia claim).

Chemystery
Sep 11, 2011

Maybe this world is another planet's hell...
I am currently an O-1 in the US Navy. Went to OCS in Feb 16, 2013 and comissioned May 10, 2013. Just found out that I will be involuntarily separated (Honorable Dis) from AD January 31, 2014. I know nothing about what I should be doing, but have managed to figure out that I will be entitled to 50% of the post 9/11 GI Bill. However, I don't know of any other benefits that I would/could be eligible for.

My command career counselor set up a TAP meeting for me two weeks from now, but I kind of what the straight skinny from you guys that actually went through the process. This whole situation caught me completely off guard and I feel like I am in a weird situation with regards to military benefits due to my super short length of service.

Edit: During OCS I developed extreme knee pain and documented IT Band syndrome. Like...multiple cortisone injections and visits to the corpsman/sports medicine clinic. My knee never bothered me before (and while at MEPS I was physiologically perfect) until OCS and subsequent military service. How can I go about filing disability claim for this? I am scheduled for TAP class and was told that there would be someone to assist me with this, but I would like the opinion of you learned sages with experience.

Edit: Cannot go SELRES and was basically told IRR and get out. Force drawdown....gently caress. On the one hand, I should't complain being a civilian, but dammit....I really want to stay in. :argh:

Chemystery fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 28, 2013

Happydayz
Jan 6, 2001

This part of the drawdown? They are taking the meatcleaver to certain Army officer year groups.

For your benefits - see about going into the reserves. You might be able to volunteer for a Naval reserve deployment and maybe pick up some extra active duty time that way.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Happydayz posted:

This part of the drawdown? They are taking the meatcleaver to certain Army officer year groups.

For your benefits - see about going into the reserves. You might be able to volunteer for a Naval reserve deployment and maybe pick up some extra active duty time that way.

He won't be able to get a Naval reserve deployment or anything- he's an unrated officer unfortunately.

With regards to getting a disability claim in on your knee problems, you're going to have to file with the VA. It's going to take a long time. As you are separating ensure that you get copies of all of your medical records and your personnel files. Hard copies. Then take those to Kinko's and get them copied in triplicate and put the originals in a fireproof safe, two copies in your important files cabinet, and use the other copy for filing your claim. Just trust me on this, you'll thank me later.

If you would like counseling on how to file your VA claim for this, during TAPS I'm 99% sure a VA rep show's up, and they'll tell you all about it- and there will be people from the DAV and Legion and poo poo that show up most likely as well. The DoD won't be granting you any disability as you probably already know. And the VA might not grant you disability if their docs determine it was routine wear and tear on your joints that happened to surface in OCS or whatever-- there's a certain ammount of time they have to own you before they start presuming service connection for everything wrong with you, believe it or not. And it's a lot longer than most people realize. So that's gonna add a level of complexity to your claim- the way the VA is working right now will probably mean that your claim takes a while. And even with solid records and documentation and a legitimate claim, you may face a lot of resistance and be denied on it at least initially on service connection grounds. But that doesn't mean that it won't be overturned on appeal, and they're the people that give things legit close scrutiny and tend to lean more for the vet but still a lot of folks get hosed there too but it's not usually as bad as initial claims. If you're one of the unlucky's you'll get to sue for your disability in veterans court, and believe it or not this court is extremely favorable to veterans- and a lot of the gently caress gently caress by the VA get's slammed in it. It's a special court with federal judges strictly for veterans issues. So I mean, def try- just be prepared for maybe not getting a good bite at the apple the first two times. Like everything related to the military, there's some layers of bullshit to get through before it's all said and over.

Chemystery
Sep 11, 2011

Maybe this world is another planet's hell...
Thank you guys for all your wisdom and help. I appreciate it. Well...I guess it is time to make like Tom and Cruise...

Edit: I am scheduled for TAP next week. I am sure I might have additional questions, but I pretty much agree that all I am going to get is my post 9/11 (which is still boss as gently caress).
I have all my knee problems documented and I will try. The thing is my drill instructor (one loving insane marine gunnery sergeant took a special liking to me when I hosed up present arms in drill formation). After that, 1.5 run Navy PFT for me was scrapped and the USMC standards were "indirectly given to me" for "motivation." As a result, my poor loving right knee drat near gave out every day on those 4 mile runs.

Chemystery fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 28, 2013

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
I know this has probably been answered, but I just need a quick yes or no.

If I get out after 4 years and go back to school with no disabilities or anything, and my only income is the money I get from my Post 9/11, do I get free health care? I know I'd probably have to pay copays, but I just want to make sure I don't need to start putting extra money away for a medical emergency or something.

Binge Drinking Jock
Dec 25, 2005
Wooooooo! Yeah! Lets get drunk guys, woooooo!

Oneday for Life posted:

I know this has probably been answered, but I just need a quick yes or no.

If I get out after 4 years and go back to school with no disabilities or anything, and my only income is the money I get from my Post 9/11, do I get free health care? I know I'd probably have to pay copays, but I just want to make sure I don't need to start putting extra money away for a medical emergency or something.

If you served in a combat zone (ever received tax exempt pay) you can get 5 years of free healthcare from the VA. I haven't had to use it much but it's a pretty sweet deal. They make it sound like it's only for documented conditions related to your deployment, but I've never been charged or denied treatment for anything.

http://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/apply/returning_servicemembers.asp

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.
Do vets with 50% or higher service connected poo poo not have to pay anything for VA care at all? I know the VA site says 50% or higher = no copays but I'm not sure if that covers routine check ups and whatnot.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Binge Drinking Jock posted:

If you served in a combat zone (ever received tax exempt pay) you can get 5 years of free healthcare from the VA. I haven't had to use it much but it's a pretty sweet deal. They make it sound like it's only for documented conditions related to your deployment, but I've never been charged or denied treatment for anything.

http://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/apply/returning_servicemembers.asp

It's NOT just for deployment related stuff, and the 5 years starts from your sep date, not from when you sign up. So go sign up for your free year and get a checkup or something. It also counts so you dont pay the Obamacare fine tax for not being insured.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

RichieHimself posted:

Do vets with 50% or higher service connected poo poo not have to pay anything for VA care at all? I know the VA site says 50% or higher = no copays but I'm not sure if that covers routine check ups and whatnot.

They shouldn't. But it may depend a lot on your local facility's capabilities. I'm 30% and no one's ever asked me for money.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

cult_hero posted:

They shouldn't. But it may depend a lot on your local facility's capabilities. I'm 30% and no one's ever asked me for money.

prescriptions related to your disability will be free but I think at that % you'd pay 8 bucks for any other ones

i think

having health insurance owns i know that much

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

genderstomper58 posted:

prescriptions related to your disability will be free but I think at that % you'd pay 8 bucks for any other ones

i think

having health insurance owns i know that much

i still haven't even gotten a disability rating or anything, prescriptions are 8 bucks for me for whatever

YeOldeCripple
Nov 7, 2013
I've got a question/need for advice, I have talked to a state vet rep and a rep from the group USAVET(I think that is the name) and both times I just got told to 'deal with it' until I get worse.

The issue is that I got retired in 2006 because I had spondylolisthesis and needed a L5-S1 spinal fusion, but since it took a year and a half for the navy to catch it/believe me, the nerves to my legs got a little damaged. I got rated 40% by the navy, VA wouldn't rate me for whatever reason so I waited to get rated by the VA until 2010 when the issue reoccurred in the L4-L5 and I needed another fusion. I had to quit my job because I couldn't work on telephone lines with a hosed up back. So the VA rated me 70%: 40% back, 20% each leg.

I go my happy way then I start noticing all the tell tale signs of poo poo going wrong again; pain, stiffness, tingling legs, etc. It gets bad and I goto my doc on base and get on the pain meds. It is about this time that the VA decides to do a reevaluation, so I show up tell the doc things are acting up and that I am on the pain meds again to deal with the everyday pain, everything hurts the whole spiel about how its negatively impacting my life. She has me bend, try to touch my toes, pokes my legs, hits my knees, says thanks and sends me off.

About 4 months later the issue gets to the point where I have to quit my job (CATV/Telco line and premises work) because I cant climb ladders/poles or lift tool bags and if I were to take any more pain meds I couldn't drive the company vehicle let alone be coherent and productive. I get the notice in the mail that the VA thinks I am getting better so I am rated at 40% now, because I can apparently bend 2% more now than i could after my surgery when the initial rating was made. Granted, I was on oxys while I was getting rated and I know you're supposed to ham it up for them when you go in, but I had to make money and installing cable is how I did that and oxys help make it not a paralyzingly crippling event and I had to go from a job site to the ratings appointment so I had some in my system.

I call to see what I am supposed to do to fight it, they tell me that I basically have to get worse and, until that happens, I should just enjoy the fact that I am getting better and make the best of it.

That was in June, I am since July unemployed but luckily I can collect benefits, my hips and knees are starting to lock up and get stiff which my doc tells me is accelerated wear and tear from bad spinal alignment possibly another blown disc but he wants to wait till January for any consults with neurosurgeons or whatever surgeon would fix my hips/knees. Hes the one civilian doc at the base and hes been with me since I got retired so he knows if I start complaining its probably going to end in a surgery since I have a, so far, perfect record for calling these things.

Am I stuck at this rating until the next surgery? I know I am past the formal appeal window but is there anything I can do, minus taking a dive down the stairs/lifting something heavy improperly?

I didn't need the money when I had a job, with my wife's income it was just extra for saving up, but now I'm bed/chair locked minus minimal taking care of the house, and my VA check got cut in half, so I am feeling the financial noose tightening the closer I get to the 40 week limit on the unemployment.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

YeOldeCripple posted:

I've got a question/need for advice, I have talked to a state vet rep and a rep from the group USAVET(I think that is the name) and both times I just got told to 'deal with it' until I get worse.

There are a few options you can pursue depending upon your circumstances:

1: When did you receive notice that they were going to reduce you from 70% combined to 40%? Your constitutional right to due process is to receive notification of the proposed action before they make anything final. If you just barely received that notice, go ahead and challenge it. Secondly, if you are within a year of the date they notified you of your reduction, write to VA and tell them that you disagree with the decision. This will start the appeal going and hopefully at the very least get you a new examination.

2: If it's been more than a year since your last examination, go ahead and put in for an increased evaluation. As your conditions progress and get worse, or improve, you could warrant a higher evaluation. But If I were in your position, I would try to avoid leaving it up to some doctor who's never met you. Talk to your doctor and ask if they'd be willing to complete the VA disability benefits questionnaire (DBQ) form for the thoracolumbar spine. This is the same form as used by VA examiners, but can be filled out by a medical professional of your choosing. It's pretty much a physical examination, so it wouldn't take much more than an office visit. Not only would this allow your claim to be completed more quickly, as VA would not have to set up an examination for you, but you would be better able to trust in the veracity of the information as it's from someone who understands your condition.

3: You mentioned that you experience pain in your hips and knees which your doctor attributes to your back condition. VA will pay compensation for disabilities which are caused or aggravated as a result of a service connected disability. I would recommend possibly filing a claim for your hips and knees as secondary to your back as well. If you can get your doctor to write a letter on your behalf stating that they believe your hip and knee conditions are at least as likely as not related to your back condition, as well as providing a supporting rationale, then the odds would be much more in your favor of receiving compensation for these disabilities.

4: You appear to have difficulties in your employment as a result of your disability. You may hear from some of your veteran colleagues about "individual unemployability" which would allow you to receive compensation at the 100 percent rate if your disabilities render you "unable to secure or follow a substantially gainful occupation." I noticed that your previous employment was physical in nature. Unfortunately, unless you would be able to demonstrate that you could not follow sedentary employment due to your conditions, this additional benefit likely will not be granted, but you'll never know unless you try. If you pursue this route, be sure to fill out and file a VA form 21-8940 "Application for Increased Compensation Based on Individual Unemployability", otherwise your claim will be denied outright.

5: On the employment front, have you pursued additional education or vocational training through VA? In addition to the GI bill, VA also offers Vocational Rehabilitation services for disabled veterans with an employment handicap. Provided that you are eligible, this may allow you to pursue further education or training towards suitable employment, in addition to a monthly stipend on top of your compensation during any such training.

I hope this helps in your situation. While it seems like a pretty confusing system, VA does a lot of good for a lot of people. A lot of us have been through the system or work in it, so don't be afraid to ask!

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
Wow...that was some great information.

Creep reader approves; thanks man!

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
So I've been creeping the thread for a while, and since I am getting out this upcoming June, I figured I would poll you guys for some advice on things I should do BEFORE I get out.

Background: 6 years active submarine service, currently on shore duty and doing all the medical I've put off for 6 years.

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea (mod-severe) last week, and next week will have my follow up appointment where they will likely prescribe the CPAP machine. In addition, I have had pretty steady hearing loss since I joined, and they've already reset my baseline and diagnosed me with moderate service-related tinnitus. I've also been seeing a navy chiro for neck and upper back pain (6'3" on submarine, with 3 deployments spent looking through a periscope; terrible idea). All these conditions were a direct result of being on the submarine for so long.

I also had a shoulder injury from before the service (2 surgeries during high school), but I re-dislocated it during a fire on the sub when I pulled a dude in FFE's out of a ladderwell; I subsequently had surgery at Walter and have been returned to duty, with a slightly limited range of motion and mild pain when it rains.

I've pretty decent documentation of all this stuff, so I'm wondering if there is anything I should do prior to getting out that will make dealing with the VA easier? The money will definitely help pay for a Chiro while I go back to school.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Sacrilage posted:

So I've been creeping the thread for a while, and since I am getting out this upcoming June, I figured I would poll you guys for some advice on things I should do BEFORE I get out.

It sounds like you're in a pretty good position as your disabilities have all been documented while you're still on active duty. At this point, your best bet is to wait until around January or so and then file a claim under the Benefits Delivery at Discharge program. You'll likely have an opportunity to do this when you go through DTAP, but if not, get in touch the VA military service coordinator at your duty station and they can get the ball rolling.

One thing to note from what you've mentioned is that VA has very particular standards for when they will grant service connection for hearing loss. What may constitute hearing loss for treatment or profile purposes may not represent hearing loss of a severity sufficient to be considered a disability for VA purposes. so just because it's been shown during service in your case, doesn't guarantee service connection, at least at this particular point in time. I'm not trying to discourage you of course, as you should feel free to file a claim for any condition bothering you, but I just wanted to make sure you were aware.

Additionally, if you're looking to move on to school or federal employment following discharge, look into getting the ball rolling on vocational rehabilitation or your civil service veteran's preference before you leave service. Both of these can be used while you're in the process of being discharged.

Oh, and one more very important thing. When you file your claim, VA will set you up for an examination. GO TO THIS EXAMINATION. If you're on terminal leave and you've moved back home, make sure they're aware of that fact. Missing this examination may result in your claim being denied.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
Thanks, great info, and the DTAP didn't mention the importance of the Examination.

:cheers:

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

You can now get dental coverage if you're enrolled in the VA healthcare system. You still have to pay out of pocket, but its pretty drat cheap and its better than having nothing.

VA Dental Insurance Program (VADIP)

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

EconOutlines posted:

its better than having nothing.

people just say this too much without really thinking about the statement they're making imo

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I moved and don't know who in the Navy Inactive Reserve to notify so I don't get boned for not responding to mail. Any help? I went from San Diego to Austin.

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice

blue squares posted:

I moved and don't know who in the Navy Inactive Reserve to notify so I don't get boned for not responding to mail. Any help? I went from San Diego to Austin.

1-800-535-2699 is the IRR guys.

Once I tried calling them every hour or so for 5 days over the course of a week and never got anyone to answer.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Fart Cannon posted:

1-800-535-2699 is the IRR guys.

Once I tried calling them every hour or so for 5 days over the course of a week and never got anyone to answer.

Thanks!

Austin Powers
Aug 13, 2011
So in January I got a letter telling me I need to sign up for direct deposit, as they are dropping paper checks and only using direct deposit. I'm receiving chapter 35 benefits, I always get the check at the end of every month. Anyway, I went to the godirect website and filled out the form for direct deposit. A couple days ago, I get a letter telling me "we are unable to process your documents at this time". I go to the VA office, they give me a form to take to the bank and mail. Judging from the sheer incompetence and frustration I get every time I so much as want to call them, I'm assuming this process will take me several more weeks/months. What happens if they drop the checks and my paperwork is still not processed? Will I receive any money? It's so, so, so frustrating considering I am a student, I count on these payments to make ends meet, and none of this is even my fault.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I was in the Navy for 3 years then kicked out for being gay in 2008. I was harassed pretty bad there, though that was documented in the letter I wrote to my CO, and he then put in my discharge papers that he believed my account, and sent me on my way with an Honorable.

I've tried to tough it out for years now but I definitely have a depression I never had before, I function fine at work but I go home and can only lie in bed, I wade through hoarded clutter, and I sperg about money like I'm in some kind of survival mode even though I make plenty. My ADD is pretty aggravated, I'm either completely zoned out or hyperfocused, and I have nightmares where I'm somehow back in the Navy, they are way too frequent for my tastes and enough to mess with my sleep. My company took us on a boat cruise and I spent the whole thing crying to myself in a toilet stall.

Anyhoo, I started a disability application like 8 months ago, I know it'll only hold my place for a few more months. I think I deserve a little disability to counter the cost of meds/therapy and maybe hire a maid or something so I'm not woken up by mice/roaches scurrying across me.

Who or what VA person should I talk to so I can finish this application and not gently caress it up? I'm reluctant to go to the one in my city because it's just a really ignorant city and I'm afraid of getting someone hostile or incompetent helping me.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

I was in the Navy for 3 years then kicked out for being gay in 2008. I was harassed pretty bad there, though that was documented in the letter I wrote to my CO, and he then put in my discharge papers that he believed my account, and sent me on my way with an Honorable.

I've tried to tough it out for years now but I definitely have a depression I never had before, I function fine at work but I go home and can only lie in bed, I wade through hoarded clutter, and I sperg about money like I'm in some kind of survival mode even though I make plenty. My ADD is pretty aggravated, I'm either completely zoned out or hyperfocused, and I have nightmares where I'm somehow back in the Navy, they are way too frequent for my tastes and enough to mess with my sleep. My company took us on a boat cruise and I spent the whole thing crying to myself in a toilet stall.

Anyhoo, I started a disability application like 8 months ago, I know it'll only hold my place for a few more months. I think I deserve a little disability to counter the cost of meds/therapy and maybe hire a maid or something so I'm not woken up by mice/roaches scurrying across me.

Who or what VA person should I talk to so I can finish this application and not gently caress it up? I'm reluctant to go to the one in my city because it's just a really ignorant city and I'm afraid of getting someone hostile or incompetent helping me.

Lemme ask you this, are you fairly sure your mental health issues stem not just from military service but also your maltreatment/harrasment while in?

Secondly, are you fearful of using the American Legion or DAV to help you file your claim because you fear retribution stemming from your sexual orientation?

If the answer to both us yes, you probably are due some compensation and assistance, and your fear if DAV or the legion might be unwarranted. They just wanna maximize your benefits, sexual orientation aside. In fact, they'd have one hell of a lawsuit on their hands if they refused to help you die to your sexual orientation, I believe. But I am not a lawyer, (Normally I say IANAL but I don't wanna be a tease here).

Also, how bad is the depression? Do you have a doc for it? Do you have thoughts if hurting yourself? Others?

Don't suicide out if it's getting to be too much man. Buddy of mine just lost his wife, was gonna lose his house and was just loving miserable and the VA finally came through. There's light at the end if the tunnel man. Hang in there.

Best of luck man, use that stickied quarterly prophet thread if you need to talk to folks too. Lots 'o vets, and odds are we'll be able to point you in some sorta direction.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Sorry for the goddamn grammar and spelling there, phone posting.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, I've got some real baggage from being essentially betrayed by my friends and bosses. Meanwhile I was trying to help my boyfriend back in the states pay his medical bills, which since no one could know about him, I wound up spending years staying inside the ship for liberty ports, never spent a dime to do anything because he'd wind up in the hospital randomly (dilated cardiomyopathy) and I felt like I had to always horde to prepare for the worst. I understand that some of that lack of support wasn't really the fault of the Navy as much of a fault of congress and policies. Still, even after I got out and we got married then divorced 6 months later, to this day I can never shake... I'd call it a feeling of impending doom, that kind of made me into a miser. In the interpersonal arena I'd still have things like naked guys climb into my rack to haze me, called a fag several dozen times every day (counted), department chief would always ask me why I cross my legs like a cocksucker, told by a chaplain to never tell or trust anyone there including chaplains, so on.

Now, I've never been suicidal ever. Really, I don't dare compare my plight with people who have seen combat. Part of the reason I'm procrastinating to apply is I'm afraid of interfering or taking a slot of someone who has it worse, of which I'm sure are thousands. My depression just manifests as, as my current boyfriend puts it, I take care of everyone except for myself. When I go home to my empty apartment I can post or play a videogame and that's it. When I take a step back I realize I used to be tidy and now I don't have the drive or organization and little by little my living conditions get out of hand until it's horrific. The boyfriend is a neat freak so I try to spend most nights at his place since I can get in a mindset to pick up after myself.

I see a psychiatrist who prescribes for my ADD and agrees my experience in the Navy was traumatic, I don't think she ever officially diagnosed me with PTSD, but then I never bought it up. Truthfully I haven't seen her in a while, I work at a psychiatric hospital and one of the managers tried to "hook me up" with a good therapist there, but after staff realized my name showed up in their medical records system they freaked out and put the kibosh on that. Oh yeah, that really sucks the worst out of anything, the patients there will occasionally go on homophobic rants, but I can't say anything to risk inciting them, it's like being back in the closet in the Navy and fucks me up for the rest of the day.

Edit: So it's the American Legion or the DAV that would help me file an application? I thought it was like a bar / function hall. I've only ever been there when my mom would bring me for cheap New England Boiled Dinners, before I enlisted.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 1, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Zero VGS posted:

So it's the American Legion or the DAV that would help me file an application? I thought it was like a bar / function hall. I've only ever been there when my mom would bring me for cheap New England Boiled Dinners, before I enlisted.

http://www.legion.org/veteransbenefits/departmentofficers

Yes. They work with you to get your claim ready.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Okay, thanks! I guess I'll try the DAV first, I'm reading that the American Legion is Christianity based and was officially against DADT repeal the entire time. I just really can't deal with someone hostile about it right now.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

Okay, thanks! I guess I'll try the DAV first, I'm reading that the American Legion is Christianity based and was officially against DADT repeal the entire time. I just really can't deal with someone hostile about it right now.

N4I is part of the American Legion I think. And that guy has had his dick in half of an entire MEU barely on the DL.

I wouldn't sweat it much, but if you're more comfortable with DAV than AL for now that's cool too since your results aren't going to really vary too much on who prepares it, it's all in the VA's hands.

By the way, there's a legal network out there for servicemembers who got hosed over by DADT, I don't know poo poo about it, but I know it exists. I'll try and find what I can and post it in here if I come across anything.

Good luck man, really sorry you had such a hosed up experience. I'd much rather have done a lot of things I'm sure you'd think are terrible than have to deal with that level of hosed up poo poo from my own fellow servicemembers.

Don't hesitate to throw it out there if you've got questions or concerns man.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Obama Africanus posted:

N4I is part of the American Legion I think. And that guy has had his dick in half of an entire MEU barely on the DL.

Who/what is N4I?

Obama Africanus posted:

By the way, there's a legal network out there for servicemembers who got hosed over by DADT, I don't know poo poo about it, but I know it exists. I'll try and find what I can and post it in here if I come across anything.

Oh yeah, the legal network is the SLDN, they helped me not get dicked over on my discharge, and were instrumental in lobbying to repeal DADT. These days they don't have as much to do and way less funding too. They're working on removing the block on transgender people, they certainly have their work cut out for them.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Zero VGS posted:

Who/what is N4I?

Our token nutella-dicked gay.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
He's a GiP dude who thinks Chris Pratt is hot and was talking about the new Brittney Spears album some time last year.

He also knows veteran poo poo. And is like BP to Marine buttholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

holocaust bloopers posted:

He's a GiP dude who thinks Chris Pratt is hot and was talking about the new Brittney Spears album some time last year.

He also knows veteran poo poo. And is like BP to Marine buttholes.

Keep your black viscuous liquids away from our fighting men's b holes you horrible deviant

• Locked thread