Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
From the New World is definitely good, but I didn't think it was what SDL meant by horror-mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Silver2195 posted:

From the New World is definitely good, but I didn't think it was what SDL meant by horror-mystery.

What? I can hardly think of anything that more perfectly matches that description.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What? I can hardly think of anything that more perfectly matches that description.

I would have called it more of a science fiction dystopia story. There's definitely conceptual overlap, of course.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I really loved Another and I'm looking for something along those lines of suspenseful horror-mystery. So far I have Mirai Nikki and Shiki on my list, anything else I should check out? Doesn't have to necessarily be gory or anything like Another was, just something really suspenseful with dashes of horror.

Seconding Higurashi, really clever mystery with smart use of horror elements. You might also want to check out Paranoia Agent and Serial Experiments Lain, though they are more "horror-flavored" strictly speaking.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Silver2195 posted:

The obvious choice would be Higurashi, but I'm still playing the VN version and haven't seen the anime version, so I can't recommend it confidently.
It's mostly watchable which is more than can be said of other such adaptations, and back when there was no VN translation most people were happy enough with the anime product. Since that's no longer the case I can't really in good faith recommend the anime anymore, but it's understandable that some people won't want to go that route.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I really loved Another and I'm looking for something along those lines of suspenseful horror-mystery. So far I have Mirai Nikki and Shiki on my list, anything else I should check out? Doesn't have to necessarily be gory or anything like Another was, just something really suspenseful with dashes of horror.
It's only a 2 episode OVA, but Denpa Teki Na Kanojo might fit the bill for what you're looking for. Of the two you listed, Shiki is a lot closer to what you're looking for than Mirai Nikki.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I dunno, Another ended up being almost as hilariously over the top as Mirai Nikki.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I really, really enjoyed Coffin Princess Chaika. Is Scrapped Princess any good? I hear the LN writer was the same, and both were done by Bones. Does it have good action scenes? Is it funny/amusing? Does the anime tastefully handle/cover up the creepy bath scenes and such? How well does it stack up to Chaika?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I watched Scrapped Princess a long time ago but I remember it being solid, not amazing, and not terribly fanservicey. Of course I could just have forgotten all the horrible parts and I do distinctly remember being not that satisfied with the series as a whole, so that doesn't sound like a great recommendation :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Scrapped Princess is pretty good, yeah. Not a masterpiece but definitely solid. It can get kinda dumb at times but it's also got some fantastic action scenes and boatloads of drama.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Douman Seiman is a fantastic artist who does some pretty hosed up stuff, but one of his series, Nickelodeon, is a bunch of one-shots(mostly) that sometimes are interconnected. This is not one of those times, but this single chapter is a definite pro-click.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

ninjewtsu posted:

I really, really enjoyed Coffin Princess Chaika. Is Scrapped Princess any good?

Having rewatched the series fairly recently, it's definitely solid and still holds up really well. I think the characterization is markedly better than Chaika, though the story is mostly lighter and shallower. ScraPrin is a little more fanservicey, though. Nothing explicit, but Pacifica does seem to bathe rather frequently. I think it's worth watching if you liked Chaika, they are remarkably similar in a lot of ways.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

Douman Seiman is a fantastic artist who does some pretty hosed up stuff, but one of his series, Nickelodeon, is a bunch of one-shots(mostly) that sometimes are interconnected. This is not one of those times, but this single chapter is a definite pro-click.

That's not how perspective works, Dowman!

Saw the 'twist' coming, but it's still good.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

As long as we're talking about Nickelodeon, Lunch at Columbine and Contract are my two favorite chapters. Although I'm tempted to add a bunch of "and so is this one", so I'll just say Douman Seiman is my general anime recommendation.

Redcrimson posted:

Having rewatched the series fairly recently, it's definitely solid and still holds up really well. I think the characterization is markedly better than Chaika, though the story is mostly lighter and shallower. ScraPrin is a little more fanservicey, though. Nothing explicit, but Pacifica does seem to bathe rather frequently. I think it's worth watching if you liked Chaika, they are remarkably similar in a lot of ways.

Really? Admittedly, it's been forever since I saw Scrapped Princess, but I seem to remember the characters not being all that memorable.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Scrapped Princess wont blow anyone away, but like everyone's been saying its a solid show.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Scrapped Princess was a solid show for like 80-90% then it just went full retard and the ending was god awful.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
just saw the leader of the foundation fight sasuke after the five hokage meet. Is it just me or is naruto wayyyy underated. Maybe my standards are low, but since it went hd and team hawk got together. poo poo has gotten progressively better, plus the eight tails is the greatest guy ever. All in all it is almost as good as Hunter x Hunter. When the Sannin started dying I knew it would get good.

I used to talk so much poo poo because my roommate watch naruto every week. I was so elite with my flcl, love hina, vampire hunter d, chobits, and hellsing. I feel like a rear end.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

As long as we're talking about Nickelodeon, Lunch at Columbine and Contract are my two favorite chapters. Although I'm tempted to add a bunch of "and so is this one", so I'll just say Douman Seiman is my general anime recommendation.

This wins out for sheer weirdness.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rkelly posted:

I was so elite with my flcl, love hina, vampire hunter d, chobits, and hellsing.

:stare:

What are your thoughts on the acclaimed anime "The Irregular at Magic Highschool"?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

What are you insinuating about Hellsing

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rkelly posted:

just saw the leader of the foundation fight sasuke after the five hokage meet. Is it just me or is naruto wayyyy underated. Maybe my standards are low, but since it went hd and team hawk got together. poo poo has gotten progressively better, plus the eight tails is the greatest guy ever. All in all it is almost as good as Hunter x Hunter. When the Sannin started dying I knew it would get good.

I used to talk so much poo poo because my roommate watch naruto every week. I was so elite with my flcl, love hina, vampire hunter d, chobits, and hellsing. I feel like a rear end.

Never stop posting you lovely genuine weeaboo.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Rkelly posted:

All in all it is almost as good as Hunter x Hunter.

This is accurate even if you think Naruto is garbage.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Professor Latency posted:

This is accurate even if you think Naruto is garbage.

Blasphemy. :colbert:

HxH is a great show, and more importantly is consistently good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm four episodes into Log Horizon and am getting real sick of them over-explaining every single "gameplay" aspect. Maybe MMO fans would find it interesting but I really don't give a poo poo.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Actually I thought those expectations were for the people who don't play MMOs so they could follow along. It gets better about that, thankfully.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

I'm four episodes into Log Horizon and am getting real sick of them over-explaining every single "gameplay" aspect. Maybe MMO fans would find it interesting but I really don't give a poo poo.

I think we had this discussion in thread too. The target audience is apparently literal children and people who probably aren't familiar with MMOs, so its kinda necessary.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ViggyNash posted:

Blasphemy. :colbert:

HxH is a great show, and more importantly is consistently good.

I consider Hunter X Hunter more or less "peak shounen"; it's about as good as I can imagine a show being (plot-wise; Togashi's art is kind of mediocre) within the constraints of a shounen battle manga/show.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

This is why I couldn't even make it through three episodes. My eyes just glazed over every time they wound up for a huge explanation. Which was all the time. I ended up picking up SAO instead, though I don't know that did me any favors.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
I cracked open my copy of Ano Hana the other day and just blew through it. So now I'm looking for a more recent good anime with an awesome ending, preferably with at least a little fantasy/supernatural/sci-fi/anything (IE, not just normal life), and not episodic. I'm working my way through ARIA and while it's awesome, it's not a show to burn through.
I don't like gore.

Steins;Gate and Legend of Galactic Heroes are in the queue.

I watched Madoka and it was awesome.

I've heard good things about Paranoia Agent, is it gory?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

linall posted:

This is why I couldn't even make it through three episodes. My eyes just glazed over every time they wound up for a huge explanation. Which was all the time. I ended up picking up SAO instead, though I don't know that did me any favors.

You went from pretty good to pretty bad. :shrug:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Zaphiel posted:

I cracked open my copy of Ano Hana the other day and just blew through it. So now I'm looking for a more recent good anime with an awesome ending, preferably with at least a little fantasy/supernatural/sci-fi/anything (IE, not just normal life), and not episodic. I'm working my way through ARIA and while it's awesome, it's not a show to burn through.
I don't like gore.

Steins;Gate is very good, so is Paranoia Agent. Of the two I thinks SG probably has a stronger ending, PA is one of my favorites series though, Kon was such a fantastic director. Neither is gory.

Have you seen Haibane Renmei? I feel like that would meet your requests pretty well.

Speaking of AnoHana, I tried to watch a fansub of the movie and got so annoyed with the crappy translation that I ended up just pre-ordering the bluray.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
There is a chunk of heavy violence in the middle of SG though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zaphiel posted:

I don't like gore.

Have you watched/read Monster? It's not exactly "recent" but it's considered by many to be one of the best manga ever made. It's about a brain surgeon who saves the life of a young boy who has been shot in the head, and the consequences of his actions. While I personally think the villain can be a little too omniscient at times, and the author isn't the best at epilogues, a huge portion of the manga definitely had me in "just one more chapter...oh poo poo it's 3AM" mode.

I haven't watched the anime version though.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The anime version is great, it's basically a page for page adaptation iirc.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

a kitten posted:

Have you seen Haibane Renmei? I feel like that would meet your requests pretty well.

Haibane Renmei is really great, but it should be noted that there is actually one minor moment that might be considered gory in the first episode due to Rakka's wings bursting out her back. The rest of the series is really nice and peaceful though and well worth a watch.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sure, sure, but he (or she) already watched and enjoyed Madoka so I doubt anything in either Steins:gate or Haibane Renmei will be an issue. I assumed they just wanted to avoid getting suggestions for things like Attack on Titan, Another, or Mirai Nikki.

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009
So I loved both Lovely Complex and Toradora, but now I'm looking for something where a relationship isn't initially as obvious or work out as expected. The World God Only Knows (the manga ending, at least), Durarara and the original Macross are examples of what I want to see more of as far as relationships go.

I'm pretty interested in seeing characters being mistaken about what they want, coming to terms with the fact that not all relationships are meant to be, learning to move on, or really any dynamic that differs from "on the cover together so meant for each other." Romance doesn't need to be the focus either. I thought the relationships in Durarara were pretty great so a series with characters like that would be right up my alley as well.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Everyman posted:

So I loved both Lovely Complex and Toradora, but now I'm looking for something where a relationship isn't initially as obvious or work out as expected. The World God Only Knows (the manga ending, at least), Durarara and the original Macross are examples of what I want to see more of as far as relationships go.

I'm pretty interested in seeing characters being mistaken about what they want, coming to terms with the fact that not all relationships are meant to be, learning to move on, or really any dynamic that differs from "on the cover together so meant for each other." Romance doesn't need to be the focus either. I thought the relationships in Durarara were pretty great so a series with characters like that would be right up my alley as well.

Paradise Kiss, by far and away Paradise Kiss.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Everyman posted:

Give Molester Man a shot if you haven't already. Actually a pretty decent story despite its unfortunate title. Cat Street might fall under your criteria as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Everyman posted:

So I loved both Lovely Complex and Toradora, but now I'm looking for something where a relationship isn't initially as obvious or work out as expected. ...

I'm pretty interested in seeing characters being mistaken about what they want, coming to terms with the fact that not all relationships are meant to be, learning to move on, or really any dynamic that differs from "on the cover together so meant for each other."
Honey and Clover sounds right up your alley, at least for the anime version (haven't read the manga).

• Locked thread