Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren:Oath Complete :siren:

Wraith Engine, this month's jurnal

Ol' Rowdy

Gorten Grundback

Durgen Madhammer

Alten Ashley

Cataphract Cetrati

Hakaar and the Guardians

Immortals, a themed group

Naaresh

Cyclops Shaman

Aptimus Marketh

I am claiming speed painting this month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android
Apr 20, 2012

Beep Boop Zorp
Oath complete!

Having to post this from my phone since I'm right in the middle of moving and have no internet set up.

Claiming jurnal for the snow, grass and cork rock on the base.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Karnegal posted:

That is an awesome water effect - also where did you get the tall grass?

Thanks man, it's my first time really messing with the stylable stuff. The tall grass I just got at a railroad hobby shop a long time back, comes in about 2" lengths or so. Best advice I got for using it is to take several failaments, twist them together in the middle, and apply super glue at that point. After it dries, you cut it in half on the super glue mark, and trim both tufts to fit.

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
Oath Complete!

For the jurnal I made a giant mushroom out of sculpey for the gnome to stand on.

I really need to practice more faces on 28mm miniatures. I had the face looking better but over washed it. I don't really like the pink color of the flesh tone paints I was using but now I'm getting too pale.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Oath Complete!

The Amazon is the start of my Bloodbowl team, and the colour-testing experimental model. Hopefully now that I've decided which colour goes where, I can paint the rest of the team faster and with less re-painting. The skull marker is my Rolled a Six token, as a turn marker for Bloodbowl. The Jurnal is the fancy lichen-ed bases, and the little pokey bits added to the base of the Amazon. They aren't just for aesthetics either! Some of the other models in the team have a hard time lying on their fronts and backs, which is a necessity in Bloodbowl. I could've used square bases I suppose, but the models came with round ones and when I got them I had no idea where to get square replacements. Plus, the fluro orange will act as an instant indicator of whether a model is face up or face down.

Summary:
Rolled a Six - skull turn marker
Jurnal - lichen bases and pokey bits on Amazon base

This month I've learnt that tiny skulls have far too many tiny teeth, and also that bandages are completely unnecessary garments and very hard for me to paint neatly.

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

Oath complete! I'll take some nicer photos with natural light tomorrow.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

:supaburn: OATH COMPLETE :supaburn:

Holy poo poo low on time post post post

Journal is all the bases, also claiming parts list

Karl

Tom

Major Hazard

The Winter Orx

Marauder Guntrack 'Tom' + Ammo Goblin
Squirts White Knight flat Black
VMC Green Grey
VMC Beige Brown
VMC Gunship Green
VMC Natural Steel
P3 Arcane Blue
VMC Transparent Green
VGC Dark Green
VMC Azure
VGC Night Blue
VMC German Camouflage Medium Brown
Citadel Ceramite White
VMC Transparent Blue
Hobby Color Red
VMC Steel
VMC Gold Yellow
VGC Moon Yellow
P3 Meredius Blue
Secret Weapon Oxide White
Citadel Nuln Oil

Marauder Guntrack 'Karl' + Ammo Goblin
VMC German Camouflage Beige WWII
VMC German Camoufkage Dark Green
VMC Natural Steel
P3 Arcane Blue
VMC Transparent Green
VGC Dark Green
VMC Azure
VGC Night Blue
Citadel Ceramite White
VMC Transparent Blue
Hobby Color Red
VMC Steel
VMC Gold Yellow
VGC Moon Yellow
P3 Meredius Blue
Citadel Nuln Oil

Marauder Ripper Suit 'The Winter Orx'
VMC Natural Steel
Citadel Ceramite White
Hobby Color Red
P3 Meredius Blue
Secret Weapon Patina Blue
VGC Sick Green
VMC Gold Yellow
VGC Off White
Citadel Nuln Oil
Gundam Marker

Marauder Ripper Suit 'Major Hazard'
VMC Natural Steel
Citadel Ceramite White
VMC Transparent Red
P3 Meredius Blue
Citadel Druchii Violet
Secret Weapn Faded Blue
P3 Cygnar Blue Highlight
VMC Light Grey
VGC Moon Yellow
VMC Gold Yellow
VGC Sick Green
VGC Off White
Citadel Nuln Oil

Marauder Hulk
VMC Light Green
Citadel Sycorax Bronze
P3 Meredius Blue
P3 Beaten Purple
Secret Weapn Faded Blue
Citadel Ceramite White
VMC Azure
Gundam Marker
Secret Weapon Green Wash

Dystopian Wars tanks
White Knight Squirts Flat Black
VMC Light Green
Sycorax Bronze
Army Painter Warpaints Red
Jo Sonja Orange
VMC Black
Citadel Nuln Oil
(+Heat Lances)
VMC Gunmetal Blue
VLG Rich Gold
(+Carrier Decks)
VMC Natural Steel
VMC Beige Brown
Secret Weapon Flesh Wash
P3 Sanguine Base
P3 Arcane Blue

Striking Scorpions
White Knight Squirts Flat White
VGC Wolf Grey
VMC Medium Sea Grey
P3 Greatcoat Grey
VMC Dark Sea Blue
Jo Sonja Orange
Citadel Ceramite White
Citadel Nuln Oil
Craft store glow in the dark white
Craft store glow in the dark orange

Bases
Greenstuff
White Knight Squirts Flat White
P3 Ironhull Grey
VGC Wolf Grey
P3 Bloodstone
VMC Black
P3 Cygnar Blue Highlight
VGC Glacier Blue

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
It's down to the wire, but,

:hist101:Oath Complete!:hist101:

I'm going to leave this as a placeholder to show that the Oath was finished, but I'm in the process of uploading a bunch of photos for the slideshow. I'll put those in a later post, rather than editing this one, to keep the timestamps consistent.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Time's up! BRUSHES DOWN!!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Iris of Ether posted:

Hey Krushgroove, these are 3 huge planes. Our rules from Season 4 had the 'themed group' designation apply for just 3 figures once they were large enough. Does this count here? My gut feel is 'yes' but I wanted to clear it.
I would say yes, I'll ask Manifest to go through the thread if he's got time!

Iris of Ether posted:

Ruling on the tattoo-as-flag, Krushgroove? I'm willing to accept, especially since I think we accepted nose art for planes/tanks/whatever last season. V:v:V
Since the game doesn't do banners (wasn't aware of that, sorry, I know it's a bit GW-centric) I'll say yes.

Iris of Ether posted:

Hey Krushgroove, I've finally included a 'Prizes Received' tab in the spreadsheet (way at the end):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhbAQSD-C_25dFcwTGtXeWJpNG9Ob18yclJKYUhQMkE&usp=drive_web#gid=1

So goons, let us know if you've received your prizes, and we'll mark it off!
Awesome! I'll be mailing off last month's prizes very very soon!

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
Time for better Oath Pics!

The post for the Oath:
The completed Oath post, just under the wire:

And now cool pictures of stuff!

Here's the assembly! :hist101:

Unassembled Eagle and Sisters. They don't normally sit on an eagle, the kit they come from has them riding on a dragon. It's going to take a bunch of drilling, pinning, filing, and wholesale chopping away of parts of the minis to make them fit on that tiny eagle back.

The ruined Waystone, taken from a High Elf Dragon kit. Rather than use a spindly little clear plastic rod to hold up a big metal model, I'm going to use this as an awesome perch.

The Eagle and sisters assembled. In addition to pinning, all of the metal parts are bonded with JB Weld to make a near-permenant join. I've had too many superglued eagles have wings snap off.

The Eagle attached to the Waystone. I ran a thick steel rod through the top of the Waystone for his feet to grip on and bear most of the weight, and ran a brass rod vertically to help prevent him from trying to tilt forward/backward and snapping his ankles. Again, JB Weld makes everything stay forever.

Add a bunch of brambles and spites and other goofy poo poo. Wood Elves kits come with a lot of spites for base dressing, and I decided to use pretty much every type I could find in my bits box. The brambles are a combination of leftover Dryad bits and a few pieces from a Citadel Wood. I also added a few Beastmen skulls to give the impression that a battle took place here a long, long time ago.

All assembled, ready to prime:

And the finished product!

Overall view of the model:

Top view of the Sisters and Gwindalor's wings:

Alternate top view:

Overall view of the base. Can you spot the green spite?

View from the right side. This little guy with the arrow is one of my favorite spite models.

Rotating a bit, view from the back right side. Painting the glowing runes was a lot of fun, and not as difficult as I expected. Definitely something I plan to do more in the future with elven waystones and such.

Back left view. More spites, more brambles, more runes.

Closer view of the base front. I really loved putting together the base for this model. The broken Waystone
made for an awesome mount, and really made the model feel special.

I'm claiming the special basing Jurnal this month, as well as last month's Jurnal of WIP photos for Double the Fun.

Tadhg fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 1, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

In my rush I missed two paints for my parts list, that I used on the still drying Striking Scorpion hair - VMC Green Grey and VGC Scorpion Green.

Also I'll take a better picture later, but the GITD theme continues with just the chainsword teeth, pistols and orange eyes glowing, for that Scorpion strike from the shadows look. Plus my Scorpions are a themed group, my Marauders are a themed group and the Dystopian Wars tanks are a themed group, can I claim 3 themed groups in one oath? :v:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

NTRabbit posted:

can I claim 3 themed groups in one oath? :v:
Definitely one for Manifest! :)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
+ + INQUISITOR TRAMADOS REPORTING + +

+ + Night has fallen. Deathworld Proxima Mortalis is even more deadly when the triple suns disappear behind the jagged mountains, and with the power of the glow globes low we must be very careful to make sure we aren't hurt by the flora and fauna . + +

Wot the 'ell is all dis??!?! When dey say da sun is going down, wot dey otta say is evvy-tink goes ta pitch black! We can't see's anyfink, us!

+ + Attempts to calm Mr Green proved fruitless and it took all my efforts to keep him from panicking. + +

WOT WOZ DAT??!! Bloomin' eck, itz too crazy in heah, itz all dark an' spooky noizes!

+ + Despite my best efforts, I felt forced to use up precious resources to power external glow globes in order to calm Mr Green + +

O well dat's bettah! ...could we's get a bit moah light, guv?

This month's theme, AKA the INQUISITOR'S JOURNAL:
How are your brave adventurers going to get anywhere without a light source? Your tank is going to have to see their target with its spotlight before it can target anything! Let's see what kind of lighting you can give your models and miniatures!

Completing the Inquisitor's Journal gives you an easy point, so if you want to be in the running for Grand Prizes at the end of Season 5, you'll be wanting every point you can get! Even if you don't care about points, many of the Journals will get you to try painting techniques you may not have tried before, so go for it!

ALSO, the judges will each be deciding who's done the Journal in the most unique and creative way and EACH judge will be giving a point for their top pick, so that's a potential 3 extra points just waiting for you!

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 2, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Lighting for minis you say? Sounds like a glow in the dark scheme could work, I wonder if anyone is doing that?

:getin:

Germ
May 7, 2013

lovestick posted:

Oath complete! I'll take some nicer photos with natural light tomorrow.

Knew you could do it! Well done!

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

To clarify, does this include OSL?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
If I look back at my work and think I need to do some extra poo poo to it because I really like the model and feel it's not quite my best, does this invalidate my completion?

Basically I'm getting people telling me I need to do various things to them or certain things are wrong and I think I agree

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
All of the packages you guys have been waiting on have shipped!

GERM - grab bag goodies!
ZHENT - Springer-Pinsel brushes!
IJYT - tech priest-y dice bearer from The Troll Trader!
RED HERRING - grab bag stuff!
COUNTERSPIN - Springer-Pinsel brushes!
KING MOB - Scober robo-arm dice bearer from The Troll Trader!
DEANUT PANCER - Springer-Pinsel brushes!
TAR DOLPHINATOR SHARK - Army Painter starter sets from The Troll Trader!
GALASPAR - Springer-Pinsel brushes!
DEANUT PANCER - Scibor ork-ring-thing from The Troll Trader!
INDOLENT BASTARD - Scibor dwarven dice bearer from The Troll Trader!
DR. GARGUNZA - Klingon cruiser from the grab bag!
INDOLENT BASTARD - Judge Dredd minis from the grab bag!
NAMENLOS - your top ten prize, an iwata airbrush from ME!
MANIFEST - your donation prize prize, a set of Minitaire starter paints, courtesy of Badger!
Schmetterling: address for your grab bag items
Illudere: Troll Trader prize choice
PASH - Mega-Grab Bag and Springer-Pinsel brushes!
IRIS OF ETHER - your grab bag prizes!
GARETH GOBULCOQUE - your Troll Trader prize!

It, uhh...cost a lot. A lot a lot. Hopefully this time I'll be spreading the cost of postage out over the course of the year instead of waiting several months before sending everything out at once :P that did NOT go to plan!

The plan this time is to have 2 different Grab Bags (one for North America and one for UK/EU) to cut down on postage costs (should help quite a bit!), continuing to have corporate sponsors to post prizes directly to prizewinners and send stuff out every month so I don't have to take a trunk/boot full of stuff to the post office in a single trip (actually my fiancée did, bless her!).

But this is a great time to remind everyone that we are still looking for Grab Bag prizes! Manifest (the keeper of our North American Grab Bag, as well as looking after his own Themed Group Prize) won a set of Minitaire starter paints because he donated his time, cash and prizes - you can win something awesome too!

If you've got an idea for a Grand Prize, Monthly Prize or Quarterly Prize, let me know about that as well - there's plenty of goons donating models, prizes and even straight-up cash!

Drop me an email if you're interested in donating: krushgroove169 at gmail.com

Pyrolocutus posted:

To clarify, does this include OSL?
Yes, the Journal is all about OSL :)

signalnoise posted:

If I look back at my work and think I need to do some extra poo poo to it because I really like the model and feel it's not quite my best, does this invalidate my completion?

Basically I'm getting people telling me I need to do various things to them or certain things are wrong and I think I agree
You can do whatever you like to your model after you post your Oath Complete picture! You can even strip it down or prime over it, Oath it then paint it again!

Android
Apr 20, 2012

Beep Boop Zorp

Android posted:

Oath complete!

Having to post this from my phone since I'm right in the middle of moving and have no internet set up.

Claiming jurnal for the snow, grass and cork rock on the base.

Meant to claim fly your flag on this since it's my battle standard bearer

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Is the oath ONLY about OSL? Can I do something... creative with the "lighting" concept that doesn't necessarily means light source painting techniques? I'm rolling around a couple ideas.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Esser-Z posted:

Is the oath ONLY about OSL? Can I do something... creative with the "lighting" concept that doesn't necessarily means light source painting techniques? I'm rolling around a couple ideas.

Yep! I know at least one person is thinking about LED lighting! Basically anything creative you can think of when I comes to lighting, lights, glow, fire, whatever!

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

So, say, a converted artillery piece or vehicle with a cannon made out of a dead lightbulb? :3

It's that or a thing with a laser pointer, right now. Hmmm.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
That's a scratchbuild :) the Journal is about painting lighting effects. You can paint lighting effects on your scratchbuild, though!

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Too bad I already did my angels with their flaming swords, glowy eyes and fire hair.

Good thing I still have character angels!

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

krushgroove posted:

That's a scratchbuild :) the Journal is about painting lighting effects. You can paint lighting effects on your scratchbuild, though!

Bah! My loose interpretation was too loose!

I guess I'll just learn COOL NEW TECHNIQUES instead!

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I, Gareth Gobulcoque, do oath 5 treasure tokens, Leech Wyrm, Bone Hydra, Sea Giant, and Shadewraith for GW's Dreadfleet and one Malignos from Infinity for the month of July.

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 1, 2014

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
e: never mind, did not refresh thread, sorry

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Oath failed :( I came close, and managed most of what I aimed for. Have a picture of my Chapter Master on jetbike to show what I did:

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I, Electric Hobo, oath these 15 Citadel Guards for the month of July. From Battlelore 2. Edition by FFG as usual.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Android posted:

Meant to claim fly your flag on this since it's my battle standard bearer

I included it in your points - thanks for pointing it out!

krushgroove posted:

IRIS OF ETHER - your grab bag prizes!

Whoo, thanks! :3:

Vaguely on topic, the July points tally/completion should be 100% in the spreadsheet, now. Hooray for vacation-ish weeks.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

I, rzal, will Oath to complete a GW Chaos space marine captain and a Human Super Star player from Willy Miniatures for the month of July.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

I, Dagon, oath this HG Gundam AGE-2 Double Bullet and this totally legit and not counterfeit chaos dwarf.

Colors on the gundam are bare plastic, I can take another after priming if that is too much.

Edit: forgot Samoa time, retaken

Dagon fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 1, 2014

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
I, BirdieBedtime, do hereby oath this Maulerfiend (GW)!

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I, Pyrolocutus, oath one unit of Cygnar Silverline Stormguard (10 models, on left) and one Stormblade Captain solo (on right), both from Privateer Press

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
I oath The Caverns of Roxor for July including: 6 fire gels, 3 burning gels, 2 ember hounds, 1 blaze beetle, Rock Gut, Roxor, 1 lava whirl, 2 bombardiers, 1 crusher, 6 slowpokes, 2 rollers, 6 turtle shells, 2 rock piles, a Star Guild Sapper, Princess Ruby, and a Deeproot Scout.
These are from Soda Pop Miniatures.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
July Oath

Runewood, Stormblade Captain and Murdoch, all from Privateer Press, 28mm.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint (1) Chaos Lord Kranon the Relentless!  From GW's Dark Vengeance starter box, 28 mm.

I only hope my hands are steady enough for what I want to do with this mini....

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
The Journal art is here! Just reposting the Journal bit so everyone can enjoy SRM's work:

+ + INQUISITOR TRAMADOS REPORTING + +

+ + Night has fallen. Deathworld Proxima Mortalis is even more deadly when the triple suns disappear behind the jagged mountains, and with the power of the glow globes low we must be very careful to make sure we aren't hurt by the flora and fauna . + +

Wot the 'ell is all dis??!?! When dey say da sun is going down, wot dey otta say is evvy-tink goes ta pitch black! We can't see's anyfink, us!

+ + Attempts to calm Mr Green proved fruitless and it took all my efforts to keep him from panicking. + +

WOT WOZ DAT??!! Bloomin' eck, itz too crazy in heah, itz all dark an' spooky noizes!

+ + Despite my best efforts, I felt forced to use up precious resources to power external glow globes in order to calm Mr Green + +

O well dat's bettah! ...could we's get a bit moah light, guv?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Thanks for the repost, would be bummed if it got lost in the shuffle :)

Anyway, now that that's done, I'm making an oath for July!
I, SRM, oath Marneus Calgar and 5 sniper scouts by Games Workshop

• Locked thread