Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zonekeeper posted:

The worst part is that I've had Mario Kart 8, Mario 3D World, and DK Tropical freeze sitting on my shelf for the past week (Target deal) begging me to play them. Having the drat thing finally arrive and be a dud made it hurt worse. :(

Do keep in mind that all these games are really, really good. I would see if you can get Pushmo (also a good game) as some sort of compensation for a refurbished console being a dud. I thought mine was as well and I was livid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yeah, that's why I decided to buy a new Wii U. You take a gamble with refurbished units. For real though, that sucks, definitely get on Nintendo's rear end and get it fixed. Wii U is a fantastic system and worth the money.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
I picked up a Windwaker Wii U, and I want to get Muramasa for it but I'm confused about the controllers. I can't use the gamepad (I think??) but could I use a Wii U pro controller? or do I get a classic controller or classic pro or..? The only other game I'll probably get is that 2015 Legend of Zelda, but I always thought Muramasa looked cool so the time is now.

If it matters, controllers I've liked: nes, snes, ps2/3
controllers i don't like: gamecube, xbox, never used wiimote or whatever

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Smoove J posted:

I picked up a Windwaker Wii U, and I want to get Muramasa for it but I'm confused about the controllers. I can't use the gamepad (I think??) but could I use a Wii U pro controller? or do I get a classic controller or classic pro or..? The only other game I'll probably get is that 2015 Legend of Zelda, but I always thought Muramasa looked cool so the time is now.

If it matters, controllers I've liked: nes, snes, ps2/3
controllers i don't like: gamecube, xbox, never used wiimote or whatever
For Muramasa you would have to use a classic controller/pro or remote and nunchuck. You can't use the Wiiu pro controller in Wii mode.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
Muramasa (A Wii Game) will also accept a Gamecube Controller.

It'd be nice if once they released the Gamecube adapter, a Wii-U in Wii Mode will recognize Gamecube controllers attached in this way. I doubt they would, but it can't be that hard to program!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Spectacle Rock posted:

Muramasa (A Wii Game) will also accept a Gamecube Controller.

It'd be nice if once they released the Gamecube adapter, a Wii-U in Wii Mode will recognize Gamecube controllers attached in this way. I doubt they would, but it can't be that hard to program!

It would definitely be great, but I'm not sure whether we'll actually see it.

Basically you'd need to fool every game into thinking that the USB adapter is actually the set of built-in-ports that the original system had. But since all Wii software was self-contained and didn't tap into an overarching OS, there may or may not be a unified way to do that.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Lana trailer for Hyrule Warriors

She uses uh, blocks to attack.

Grumblebump volcano from 3d world rolled as a actual character.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

:psyduck: what the gently caress is a Lana? Why would they use this character instead of Nayru or something?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Zelda games have always involved pushing blocks around so they made a magical girl who personifies the concept of pushing blocks around.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Here's another preview of the WIP OP, this time from the very top of the first post to just before the F.A.Q. It features the Recent News Tidbit (a piece of interesting or important news that'll appear at the tippy-top of the OP), links to other important Nintendo threads, and the Ongoing Deals section. As usual, any and all feedback is appreciated. Next up, I'll be posting the entire first post of the OP. It's just about done, but I'm starting to slow down for the night, so I figured I'd post up progress, especially since I think that the Ongoing Deals section is a pretty helpful thing to have. I'm definitely missing some items from the hardware subsection, and I gotta' fix that source for the news tidbit, but it'll probably be switched out for something else by the time I get this thing done.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

:psyduck: what the gently caress is a Lana? Why would they use this character instead of Nayru or something?
Apparently she's a character related to this specific game's plot. The playable counterpart to the other witch chick or something?

Who knows...

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Got my Wii U Refurb in today, only got to play Mario Kart and it is a blast. Is there any way to get Mario kart to stick with the d-pad controls for the game though? Everytime I start a new grand prix all the wii controllers default to motion controls.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Just finished Shovel Knight and it was amazing like everyone has been saying. Seemed like a cross between Mega Man and Castlevania 1.

Club Nintendo coins reset, already halfway to platinum for next year!

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Ultigonio posted:

Here's another preview of the WIP OP, this time from the very top of the first post to just before the F.A.Q. It features the Recent News Tidbit (a piece of interesting or important news that'll appear at the tippy-top of the OP), links to other important Nintendo threads, and the Ongoing Deals section. As usual, any and all feedback is appreciated. Next up, I'll be posting the entire first post of the OP. It's just about done, but I'm starting to slow down for the night, so I figured I'd post up progress, especially since I think that the Ongoing Deals section is a pretty helpful thing to have. I'm definitely missing some items from the hardware subsection, and I gotta' fix that source for the news tidbit, but it'll probably be switched out for something else by the time I get this thing done.

Looks great, but for the Mario Kart 8 free game, it's probably worth noting that the game has to be registered on Club Nintendo by July 31st.

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.

Probably in the same part as the refurb console and PlayAsia, mention the $20 wiimote+/nunchuck combo from Nintendo's refurbished store. I would have saved a lot of money had I known about that.

It also seems "I didn't have a Wii. What Wii games should I buy?" is a fairly common question. Since I am in that category, I have appreciated the lists people have thrown out in this thread.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Starhawk64 posted:

Yeah, that's why I decided to buy a new Wii U. You take a gamble with refurbished units. For real though, that sucks, definitely get on Nintendo's rear end and get it fixed. Wii U is a fantastic system and worth the money.

I completely disagree. You take a gamble with anything you buy, new or used. It's completely anecdotal, but all of the electronics I've bought refurbished work to this day, and about half of the electronics I bought new are dead or have had to be sent to it's manufacturer for refurbishment.

I have rationalized it in my mind that refurbs are just new ones that have had their issues fixed. Not just that, but they have to test the fix before they send it out. They don't test new units. I may be completely wrong, but that's just been my experience.

Tewdrig posted:

Probably in the same part as the refurb console and PlayAsia, mention the $20 wiimote+/nunchuck combo from Nintendo's refurbished store. I would have saved a lot of money had I known about that.

Yeah, this would be a good thing to put in the refurb paragraph. I wish I had bought a couple wiimotes at the same time as my refurb. I ended up ordering a couple last week. It's no big deal, but I would have saved $5 in shipping and would have them by now if I had bought them at the same time as the console.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jul 1, 2014

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Do eShop purchases charge tax? If I stop at the store and get $30 worth of eShop cards, will that cover me for Shovel Knight and Guacamelee?

EDIT: Wait, if I do that, does the store charge tax on the gift cards? Cause that wouldn't make any sense for me to do then.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 1, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

OldSenileGuy posted:

Do eShop purchases charge tax? If I stop at the store and get $30 worth of eShop cards, will that cover me for Shovel Knight and Guacamelee?

There is some tax on eShop purchases, so you'll be just a little bit short.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Depends on the zip code you entered when you set up the system... some charge tax, others don't.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
But just put in your real zip code, those sales taxes are for your local schools and services.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Would it even go through if you put in the incorrect zipcode?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Yes, because it's all based on the honors system.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

People recommend putting in an Alberta postal code (if you're Canadian), to take advantage of no sales tax, so it definitely works. I'm fortunate that I can both put Alberta and not have to lie about where I live.

of course, the joke is really on me because I live in Alberta

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Cake Attack posted:

of course, the joke is really on me because I live in Alberta

Ah, the Texas of Canada.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

zenintrude posted:

Yes, because it's all based on the honors system.

Wow that's dumb. Nintendo rep: "hmm seems that all of our customers are located in Oregon, that is very strange"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I got a Wii U for Father's Day. My wife knew that not being able to play Bayonetta 2 was killing me and so got it for me as a surprise (she also wants to try Splatoon when it comes out). I actually wasn't very happy initially but I have to say this is a pretty slick console. It's not bad at all, and Nintendo's really good at using art direction to mask the console's poor power. I would never suspect this thing is basically an Xbox 360.

I'm not a Nintendo fan, I find Mario annoying and overly cutesy, but I can't deny that Super Mario 3d World is well designed and a lot of fun to play with friends. Same with Mario Kart, and the replay feature seems to be there for the sole purpose of razzing your buddies after a race. This is a great console for couch play and IMO this plays to one of console gaming's biggest strengths.

If you have a gaming PC I would have to say that this is probably a very good choice for a console. It's definitely worth your consideration at 200 bucks for a warrantied refurb.

This is a stronger choice than the PS4 and light-years in front of the Xbone, at least at the moment. Just my take on the whole thing. I would recommend this console to anyone when it's 150 bucks.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If you have a gaming PC I would have to say that this is probably a very good choice for a console. It's definitely worth your consideration at 200 bucks for a warrantied refurb.

That seems to be the consensus. I know a lot of people on here as well as a bunch of my friends have the same idea. If you have a gaming PC, most of what comes out on XBOX One and PS4 is going to be on it, so if you are going to pick a console for exclusives, it's really hard to beat $200 for Nintendo's console, especially when they are guaranteed to have multiple high quality exclusives that have no chance of being on PC.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Did the Wii to Wii U transfer and everything seemed to go fine. I played a little bit of Brawl, then tried to go back to the Wii U menu and got an error message saying that "The system files are corrupted."

Turning the Wii U off and then on again seemed to fix everything. No problems on Wii U mode and launching back into Wii mode still had all of my save data intact, but now I'm afraid to use Wii mode.

Has anyone else had this issue before? Googling it I can find some other people experiencing the same thing, but nothing so far about it permanently bricking a Wii U.

Edit: Also, I had 200 Wii points on my Wii when I did the transfer, but they haven't gone into my Wii U eshop balance. Are they stuck in Wii eshop mode?

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
Thanks for the controller recs. I ordered Muramasa and a Wii Remote, will this be enough to play this game on Wii U? Will I need the nunchuk thing? if so, I'll probably just get one of the classic controllers instead.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Bass Bottles posted:

Edit: Also, I had 200 Wii points on my Wii when I did the transfer, but they haven't gone into my Wii U eshop balance. Are they stuck in Wii eshop mode?

Sadly, those 200 points are forever stuck on the Wii shop; there is no way to transfer them to the eShop proper. I also have 200 points abandoned there with nothing cheap enough to spend them on.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Ziddar posted:

Sadly, those 200 points are forever stuck on the Wii shop; there is no way to transfer them to the eShop proper. I also have 200 points abandoned there with nothing cheap enough to spend them on.

Can you even use them on DLC anymore with the old Nintendo Network being down? I remembre that Mega Man 10 had some 100 pt DLC for bonus stages.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
DLC and purchasing still work, just the actual multiplayer stuff doesn't. If you live in Japan that MMO also still works.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Is there really no way to put a game that I've downloaded and saved to a SD card on the channel menu?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Is there anything on Wii U that is like the quiz/popular opinion game on the Wii? You had vote to guess which option would be the most popular.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The fourth Nintendo costume in Bayonetta 1 is... Daisy.

vvvv Sorry, was news to me and didn't recall anyone mentioning it.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 1, 2014

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The fourth Nintendo costume in Bayonetta 1 is... Daisy.

2 days ago, I knew this.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
Is it too late now to get a Mario Kart Wii U Bundle? Doesn't even look like it's on Nintendo's page anymore (It used to appear on this page with the other 2 bundles: http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/buynow/ )

Is this something that is just temporary out of stock or now that it's done it's done? I can't find it anywhere local to me (it seemed like it was everywhere a few weeks ago, just didn't have the cash for it at the time).

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Rathina posted:

Is it too late now to get a Mario Kart Wii U Bundle? Doesn't even look like it's on Nintendo's page anymore (It used to appear on this page with the other 2 bundles: http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/buynow/ )

Is this something that is just temporary out of stock or now that it's done it's done? I can't find it anywhere local to me (it seemed like it was everywhere a few weeks ago, just didn't have the cash for it at the time).

I wanna say they're out of stock for now, I have no idea if they'll be making any more though. I assumed the Zelda one would've gone out of stock a while ago but I keep seeing new ones in store so if you really want that bundle, you could wait a few months and see.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well July 1st and I only have 145 points left for 2015 Platinum after doing all my surveys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

How does this game look so fun? Good lord I want it.

The character is odd but she looks unique enough for me gameplay wise.

• Locked thread