Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

khy posted:

Okay, explain something to me please.

I'm doing the main game and I just got some meds for LUPUS and antibiotics. My character is 'tired' and it's night. How do I sleep?

Short answer: You need to either log out or switch to a different character for a bit.

Longer answer: You need beds to allow characters to rest. If you have at least one bed per resident, you get a bonus, but you can have up to 2 people per bed and be okay. You need to switch away from a character for about 15 minutes real time for them to rest (not sure, but I feel that's about right). To do this, open up the menu (tab on computer), go to the faces, and click on a face of someone. Q button (use button on xbox I'd guess) to select them. It should tell you if you can do this or not (you can't select some people, like Lily or people who want to do a mission or run away).

Because of this, it's a good idea to have 3+ characters you're cool with rolling with at any time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Pander posted:

Short answer: You need to either log out or switch to a different character for a bit.

Longer answer: You need beds to allow characters to rest. If you have at least one bed per resident, you get a bonus, but you can have up to 2 people per bed and be okay. You need to switch away from a character for about 15 minutes real time for them to rest (not sure, but I feel that's about right). To do this, open up the menu (tab on computer), go to the faces, and click on a face of someone. Q button (use button on xbox I'd guess) to select them. It should tell you if you can do this or not (you can't select some people, like Lily or people who want to do a mission or run away).

Because of this, it's a good idea to have 3+ characters you're cool with rolling with at any time.

Well since I'm at the point in the story where it's just me, Ed, Maya, and like 4 people in the church who I can't switch to I think I'm partially hosed.

Maya's screwed up, every time I try to play as her she's always panting and gasping and being all worn out. Marcus is tired and I got raped by a bunch of zombies so now he's lost some maximum vitality. But those two seem to be the only two I can currently play as. Guess it's time for a break?

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

To add on to this, you can only switch to people in your roster who have the "friend" status listed on them; anyone who is not a friend yet, there should be a little green bar under them that shows how close they are to becoming a friend. You raise this by going on missions with your allies who ask you to do stuff, going on missions where they are in trouble and need help, or (I think) asking them to come along with you to do stuff in general.

For example, in the base game, you start out as friends with Ed and Maya, and you need to do stuff with the other survivors to raise their friendship with you.

It's funny because you can always tell who's starting Breakdown because that start is rough. Early in you should look for coffee, energy drinks and trucker pills to restore your stamina until you can do enough stuff with other people to switch to them.

Edit: ^^ whoops, yeah, sounds like you need to get more beds so more people can rest, in addition to what I posted above.

Bruteman fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 1, 2014

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
switch characters

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

khy, is Maya over-weight? That is, is she carrying more than...like, 20lbs? She's a good shot but she's got the portage abilities of a wet Brawny paper towel.

Getting unlucky/stupid early on hurts - I wound up restarting after I got Maya killed like a moron. After the first few supply runs went so well and I had such an easy time with one or two zombies at once, I assumed I could sprint the driveway up to the church. I got mauled to death 20 feet from watchtower range. But so far most of the people I've successfully brought to my community have started out as friends, so you could try rescuing somebody to fill it out too.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

I got Maya and Marcus killed off early, and I still managed okay.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pander posted:

I got Maya and Marcus killed off early, and I still managed okay.

At that point I was like, "welp I'm staring over", but that was more due to understanding the mechanics and gameplay better.

I really love the game so far, never even bothered with the mods, it's really nothing like I've ever played before.

I should add that I really like lifeline so far, as its a nice narrative change in the zombie games and an interesting inverse of the standard game,

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 1, 2014

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

gfanikf posted:

At that point I was like, "welp I'm staring over", but that was more due to understanding the mechanics and gameplay better.

I really love the game so far, never even bothered with the mods, it's really nothing like I've played before.

I should add that I really like lifeline so far, as its a nice narrative change in the zombie games and an interesting inverse of the standard game,

Yeah I like it a lot. I love the emphasis on "gently caress it, shoot zombies!!!" to counter the excessive focus on melee in base/breakdown.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Squiggle posted:

khy, is Maya over-weight? That is, is she carrying more than...like, 20lbs? She's a good shot but she's got the portage abilities of a wet Brawny paper towel.

Getting unlucky/stupid early on hurts - I wound up restarting after I got Maya killed like a moron. After the first few supply runs went so well and I had such an easy time with one or two zombies at once, I assumed I could sprint the driveway up to the church. I got mauled to death 20 feet from watchtower range. But so far most of the people I've successfully brought to my community have started out as friends, so you could try rescuing somebody to fill it out too.

No, I guess she was just too hurt to use.

I went further along and rescued some chick who was 'self sufficient'. One of my survivors did a quest to kill a Juggernaut and she had a shotgun so I figured, why the hell not. Then the MORON survivor who did the quest charged the Juggernaut WITH A GODDAMN BASEBALL BAT.

Shotgun won like 13 rounds later.

Unfortunately on my trip back home, the self sufficient chick ran into a second juggernaut outside of home base. And was ripped in half, literally.

Anyway. I have questions.

1) Why is a truck no sturdier than a sports car, coupe, hatchback, or station wagon?

2) Does hitting a zombie with the vehicle door count as vehicle damage (Meaning does it damage the engine so it starts to smoke)?

3) Is there a hard limit to how many vehicles can be repaired by parking them in my 'parking area' when I have an upgraded workshop?

4) How many survivors SHOULD I have? Before Shayla Self-Sufficient got herself ripped in half, I had 11 and like 6 or 7 were playable. I had to use one of the tent areas outside the church as a bunk bed area, which gave me 16 beds, but do I really need that many?

5) How can I tell whether or not a melee weapon I find is better than my current one? Does it go solely on weight?

6) How do I tell which missions are time-sensitive so I know whether or not I'm going to lose morale for not doing them?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

khy posted:

No, I guess she was just too hurt to use.

I went further along and rescued some chick who was 'self sufficient'. One of my survivors did a quest to kill a Juggernaut and she had a shotgun so I figured, why the hell not. Then the MORON survivor who did the quest charged the Juggernaut WITH A GODDAMN BASEBALL BAT.

Shotgun won like 13 rounds later.

Unfortunately on my trip back home, the self sufficient chick ran into a second juggernaut outside of home base. And was ripped in half, literally.

And that's why I don't like "special" zombies/infected. One of the first things I modded out of this game was special zombies. I also made it so zombies can't run, too. I like my zombies the way God intended them.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

khy posted:

Anyway. I have questions.

1) Why is a truck no sturdier than a sports car, coupe, hatchback, or station wagon?

2) Does hitting a zombie with the vehicle door count as vehicle damage (Meaning does it damage the engine so it starts to smoke)?

3) Is there a hard limit to how many vehicles can be repaired by parking them in my 'parking area' when I have an upgraded workshop?

4) How many survivors SHOULD I have? Before Shayla Self-Sufficient got herself ripped in half, I had 11 and like 6 or 7 were playable. I had to use one of the tent areas outside the church as a bunk bed area, which gave me 16 beds, but do I really need that many?

5) How can I tell whether or not a melee weapon I find is better than my current one? Does it go solely on weight?

6) How do I tell which missions are time-sensitive so I know whether or not I'm going to lose morale for not doing them?

1) Trucks actually are a little sturdier but not by much (see here)

2) I want to say it doesn't damage the car, or at least not as much as hitting them with any other part of the car.

3) Yes, the bigger the home base, the more parking spots it has for cars to be repaired - you can see the available parking spaces on your menu page where you pick what to build at the base.

4) I don't think there's a magic number, although you should try not to exceed more than 2 people for each bed area. You can go over it but it's not really necessary, I beat the base game with maybe 8-9 people in my group and only really using 4-5 of them, and in Breakdown you're forced to only pick five when you go to a new level.

5) When you look at a weapon in your inventory, you will see a weight and durability rating at the bottom - you want 4-5 durability weapons with low weight (crowbar and pipe wrench are excellent by this metric for one-handed blunt weapons, etc.)

6) In the base game, pretty much any mission with a generic direction (help the survivors, kill the hordes, hunt the [special zombie]) are time-based. The story missions are usually pretty specific with NPC names and locations. After a while you get used to which stock phrases Lily uses when announcing the time-based random missions, the story missions usually have unique dialogue. If you look up some faqs or wikis online, they should have lists of which missions are which.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Bruteman posted:

2) I want to say it doesn't damage the car, or at least not as much as hitting them with any other part of the car.
It definitely does not, using door attacks is key to using cars properly. You should basically never be running over zombies directly. If you're coming at them from the front, veer a bit and use the door. If you're backing over them it does substantially less damage to the body so you're winning there anyway.

quote:

4) I don't think there's a magic number, although you should try not to exceed more than 2 people for each bed area. You can go over it but it's not really necessary, I beat the base game with maybe 8-9 people in my group and only really using 4-5 of them, and in Breakdown you're forced to only pick five when you go to a new level.
One bed per person allows you to use Good Night's Rest or whatever it is for a well rested bonus, one bed per two people will not allow you to use this bonus but nobody will get sleep deprived. More than 2 people per bed, someone is going to get sleep deprived.

Also it's better to assume that all missions are time sensitive. Even numerous story missions will expire and have consequences you don't want, like Ed not getting a doctor.

It is also pretty substantially bad luck that khy's been seeing so many Juggernauts. Juggernaut freak hunt missions are honestly ones I just skip, the reward is too small for how many resources a Juggernaut requires, and they are by far the least common Freak in the 'wild'. I can't really imagine playing without Freaks, they do a huge amount for making the game interesting, but Juggernauts are kinda bullshit. At least with a decent Melee score they are entirely beatable with that baseball bat, but if you think the AI is ever gonna pull that off, lol.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Coolguye posted:

Also it's better to assume that all missions are time sensitive. Even numerous story missions will expire and have consequences you don't want, like Ed not getting a doctor.

This is true, thanks for pointing that out.

quote:

It is also pretty substantially bad luck that khy's been seeing so many Juggernauts. Juggernaut freak hunt missions are honestly ones I just skip, the reward is too small for how many resources a Juggernaut requires, and they are by far the least common Freak in the 'wild'. I can't really imagine playing without Freaks, they do a huge amount for making the game interesting, but Juggernauts are kinda bullshit. At least with a decent Melee score they are entirely beatable with that baseball bat, but if you think the AI is ever gonna pull that off, lol.

I had a game of Breakdown a few months back where during three consecutive "help the enclave"/barricade missions, a juggernaut would spawn at the end. The second time, a second juggernaut just strolling around the neighborhood joined in. The last time I was sure to bring mines and explosives, that helped a lot.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Coolguye posted:

Technically I've seen 3 within my first 4 hours (because that's how long steam says I've played for).

The first one I saw was after helping the hillbillies defend their house. He was chilling off to the left of the house. I took one look at him and NOPE'd my way back to the church.

Second was the freak hunt one - motherfucking DENNIS and his motherfucking baseball bat. I really thought he'd go down with 7 shots of a shotgun but nooooooo.

The third is the one that ripped poor Shayla in half.

quote:

5) When you look at a weapon in your inventory, you will see a weight and durability rating at the bottom - you want 4-5 durability weapons with low weight (crowbar and pipe wrench are excellent by this metric for one-handed blunt weapons, etc.)

I see. I was thinking that a heavier weapon would be more damaging if it's a blunt weapon.

Food seems super easy to come by in this game. Medicine isn't that hard either. Construction Supplies were what I was having a rough time finding.

At what point during the game should I consider moving to a bigger base? I only need like one, MAYBE two extra build slots and the church would have been perfect, but it's just a tiny bit too small.

Thus far my horde kills have all been with vehicles. Is there a better way to handle hordes than to run them down?

Speed seems meaningless with even the slowest car able to easily outpace the fastest zombies. So durability and storage (MAYBE handling but even that seems a little useless considering how arcadey it plays) seem to be the only real benchmarks by which a vehicle's desirability is judged. And by that, it seems like pickup trucks are the best vehicles in the game and you want as many trucks as you can get in your parking lot.

khy fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 1, 2014

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

khy posted:

Food seems super easy to come by in this game. Medicine isn't that hard either. Construction Supplies were what I was having a rough time finding.

Supplies will always be your biggest bottleneck.

quote:

At what point during the game should I consider moving to a bigger base? I only need like one, MAYBE two extra build slots and the church would have been perfect, but it's just a tiny bit too small.

You should generally move to a bigger base ASAP so you can start upgrading it immediately and not waste space upgrading when you're going to leave anyways.

If you want to stick with a moderate size increase, the Kirkman residence is in the same town as the Church is, the McReady Farmhouse is in the middle of the map, and the Savini Residence is in the northern part of the west side of the big town at the bottom. If you want to jump straight to the best home site, it's the Snyder Trucking Warehouse on the westernmost bit of the southern town.

quote:

Thus far my horde kills have all been with vehicles. Is there a better way to handle hordes than to run them down?

It's basically the best way, but either get them with your door or back over them rather than hitting them directly (vehicles take less damage when backing over enemies than hitting them from the front).

quote:

Speed seems meaningless with even the slowest car able to easily outpace the fastest zombies. So durability and storage (MAYBE handling but even that seems a little useless considering how arcadey it plays) seem to be the only real benchmarks by which a vehicle's desirability is judged. And by that, it seems like pickup trucks are the best vehicles in the game and you want as many trucks as you can get in your parking lot.

The four door pickup trucks are indeed the best vehicles.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Honestly I don't mind the freak zombies but the Juggernauts are kinda bullshit. But maybe that's because most of the people I run with carry a pistol or maybe a revolver. I've got like 2 rifles and an SMG, maybe a shotgun from all the looting I've done, so gently caress Juggernauts, even if I built Marcus to have a crapload of melee weapon expertise. I really don't want to have to go lugging an AK47 or something with the equivalent of 3 mag dumps just in case I run into a Juggernaut or someone stupid wants to hunt for one.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Eh Juggernauts die to a few headshots usually, molotovs also help a lot. Ferals are bullshit though, if you get caught unaware you are dead.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

FrickenMoron posted:

Eh Juggernauts die to a few headshots usually, molotovs also help a lot. Ferals are bullshit though, if you get caught unaware you are dead.

Ferals are cake, just drop kick them twice (the second one will take) and do a finisher.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First special I died to was a feral!

They are kinda BS too because I'm playing with a controller so I can't use my MASTER RACE mouse to shoot it dead immediately. Most of the time it latches right on to me, chews on me for a bit, I get it off and beat the poo poo out of it. It probably doesn't have much more life than a regular zombie but I'll be damned if I always get the vitality debuff because of them.

But yeah I might just start bringing around molotovs as well. But I'm guessing even simple handguns should last me against a Juggernaut if I use them properly? All those assault weapons and stuff look neat and shiny but on someone like Maya just bringing her rifle she starts with is already like 1/3 of her weight limit.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

That's what makes me like them most. They're kind of like the Cloaker from Payday 2. If you're paying attention and checking your corners, they're no big deal. If you get distracted, hurried, and one gets the drop on you, OHSHI--

Juggernauts are just two tons of bad day no matter how you slice them. The only way they're not a total loving pain is if you are rolling deep with heavy weapons and you have a wall nearby for them to charge and stun themselves on. You can kill them clean and quick in that case.

Also yes, kill hordes with vehicles, any other way is just a waste of resources.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

khy posted:

:siren: Info-post! :siren:

Okay, so here is some information about weapons, durability, and so on.
All your melee weapons in SoD have three factors; Type, Weight, and Durability. Type can be Heavy(Big swings), Blunt (Knockdown chance), and Edged (Insta-kill chance). Weight is self-explanatory. Durability governs how tough the weapon is, and how many Zed skulls you can crack open with it before it becomes damaged (turns yellow) and then finally breaks.

One of the best weapons is shown here:

The Wrench has 5 Durability, the maximum, and weighs only a single pound. A 5:1 Durability/Weight ratio is very nice.

So, how can you find weapons and keep them from breaking?

First, maintain your weapons. Build a Workshop at your Home Base. This will automatically repair and refresh the amount of damage your weapons can take over the course of every night if it is stored in your locker. It can be easy to remember if you swap weapons every time a fatigued Survivor returns to base - put the weapon they were using in the supply locker (with your loot) and equip them a new one before switching to another character. Never leave a character unarmed, in case their AI sends them on a mission! Maintaining weapons is very important, as the valley is a closed system and if you break every weapon no more will spawn.

Secondly, find yourself more weapons. Houses can be very random, but many good tools will spawn at locations in Spencer's Mill. Construction Sites and Warehouses are likely to contain Blunt Weapons like Crowbars, Nail Pullers, Pipe Wrenches and Prybars. You can also check Garages and Industrial Stores. There is a Construction Site right outside the church driveway, and a Warehouse behind the church across a field.

Tips n' Tricks:
If a character has the Powerhouse trait they have a special bonus called Killing Blow Chance which pretty much means what it says on the tin; a chance that any blow will be an instant kill. Killing Blow Chance does something cool, it stacks with an Edge Weapon's chances to decapitate. Try equipping your characters with Powerhouse (like Markus) some sweet katanas and watch the Zeds fall before them!

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 1, 2014

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

FrickenMoron posted:

Juggernauts also die to enough drop kicks.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

LeJackal posted:

:siren: Info-post! :siren:

So where's the best places to search for edged weapons?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

khy posted:

So where's the best places to search for edged weapons?

They are somewhat less predictable. Paper Cutter Arms and Cutting Machine Blades are pretty industrial, and are sometimes found in warehouses and 'factory' type settings. Hatchets, Kukris, Machetes, Hedge Shears, and Limb Saws are often found in garden sheds and campsites. Martial Arts studios are another good place to check for edged weapons like the Wakizashi or Kama.

Sometimes you just find Replica Calvary Sabers just rattling around in Grandpa's truck in the back bedroom, though.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
If you climb a tower and do a survey, occasionally your character will say something like "that looks like a good place to take a look." These locations tend to have better items, and sometimes have combat axes and cavalry swords and stuff.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Piell posted:

[T]he Savini Residence is in the northern part of the west side of the big town at the bottom. If you want to jump straight to the best home site, it's the Snyder Trucking Warehouse on the westernmost bit of the southern town. the Savini Residence because you can only be attacked from one side and you have a prebuilt Watch Tower.

FTFY :colbert:.

Piell posted:

The four door pickup trucks are indeed the best vehicles.

Unless this got changed in the past couple weeks, the Police Cruiser has the same number of slots as the pickup. The cruiser is stupidly twitchy when backing up, but once you get the hang of it, you can do snap 180 turns with a quick reverse which is great in a lot of situations.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

The machine cutting blade that's 4 or 5 stars has almost never worn down for my edge type meleers. It's light enough, and edge weapons value durability more than weight since few are heavy. Sometimes I'll roll with Kukris but they wear down before the cutting arms. No advantage to the Japanese blades except style points.

For heavy weapon people, you want an axe or you can get the hell out. It's super durable and far lighter than most heavy weapons.

Blunt weapons can't beat wrenches or escrima sticks. Wrenches are more fun to visualize.

For guns, if you're going quiet and you're reasonably good at shooting you want a .22. It's super light, the quietest gun if you don't have a silencer handy, the ammo is reasonably abundant, and a single headshot ends any non-feral/juggy.

Don't bother with bolt action rifles. Sniping in SoD is generally pointless, because if you're far away from zombies you're better off avoiding them. Plus, the noise generated means you don't get to snipe many before you have company close in.

Shotguns are fantastic "last resort only" weapons.

If you have ammo to spare and balls, an M-16 or equivalent 5.56 or 7.62 assault rifle with a firearms focus specialization character are amazing headshot machines. There are fewer situations where this is useful in base/Breakdown though compared to Lifeline. In Lifeline, if you don't roll like this, you might as well not bother rolling at all.

Killing Juggernauts? MOLOTOVS. Shotguns are great for a stun effect if you get a headshot, but rely on molotovs to really wipe out their health. Usually like 2-4 with a couple shots in there will knock em down without too much effort. I've still never actually killed one with a vehicle, and using only bullets is wasteful. Mines and the like also work, same with explosives, but neither of those are as easy or common as molotovs.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

bitcoin bastard posted:

FTFY :colbert:.

Unless this got changed in the past couple weeks, the Police Cruiser has the same number of slots as the pickup. The cruiser is stupidly twitchy when backing up, but once you get the hang of it, you can do snap 180 turns with a quick reverse which is great in a lot of situations.

You can also watch the engine smoke after hitting about 20 zombies, and have a harder time dooring zombies because of the twitchy controls. Plus, with the superduty pickup it's easier for people to jump in the back than have to get to a door.

The cop car is a nice secondary, especially when I want to get from Marshall back to, say, the Church quickly. It handles a lot better than the sports car, after all, seats 4, and have full trunk space. But the superduty pickups are the prize vehicle in the base/breakdown.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Pander posted:

Plus, with the superduty pickup it's easier for people to jump in the back than have to get to a door.

This is the drat truth right here. For a bunch of people who have survived X days past the apocalypse of the face eating dead, fuckers are goddamned incompetent at getting into a motor vehicle. Maybe its really been years and they all forgot? :iiam:

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

khy posted:

I see. I was thinking that a heavier weapon would be more damaging if it's a blunt weapon.

There's no 'damage' system exactly, a zombie is either alive or dead.

A Powerhouse character with an edged weapon is good, but they can also get a special skill with heavy weapons called Leg Sweep, that insta-kills any zombies in a pretty decent arc in front of them. With that skill, a Powerhouse with decent stamina can take out a few zombies in one swing, roll forwards, turn around and do it again etc and take out a horde or two in melee without getting hit.

The kick-rear end parkour hoody lady you get in Breakdown is amazing for this, with Marathon as well she's basically unkillable.

khy posted:

On later Breakdown levels Medicine can be an absolute ball-ache, but on the whole yeah, Food, Medicine and Fuel are all kind of nothing to worry about. Food parcels especially you can break open, because snacks and coffee are really useful items to have around. The most important resource is definitely building materials, because a fully built base gives a ton of advantages to your crew and because you can use them to make home-made silencers.

There are enough cars that it's a completely legit way to take down hordes. Another good way is to get their attention, back off so they form kind of a conga-line and throw a molotov on the floor in front of them, usually that'll take care of all but one or two of them. If a character has the Marksman skill they can also slow down time, and a silenced pistol can drop most of them.

A really useful trait to look for in characters is Nimble, Ed and Sam both have it. It lets them do a quick leg sweep that knocks down zombies so you can run or finish them on the ground. Any survivor when fully levelled is competent but if you are looking for a 'main' character Nimble is just ace.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Vitamin P posted:

There's no 'damage' system exactly, a zombie is either alive or dead.

Gotcha. I thought that different weapons would knock a zombie down quicker or have a higher chance of getting the insta-kill or dismemberment or something. Glad to hear that isn't the case, as it means I don't have to feel like I ABSOLUTELY NEED a specific weapon.

I'm a little torn about housing. I want to move out of the church into a place where we can expand, but if I go straight for the big-rear end homes it feels like I'm, i dunno, skipping content or something. But if I go for the little homes it feels like I'm wasting resources that I could be using on a better home base.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

You're not skipping content at all, the smaller homes will not provide you any particular challenge that the larger homes won't or vice versa. They are simply there for different play styles. Smaller homes tend to focus on people who have only 2-4 good survivors that they keep out in the field for a long time, mainlining caffeine and energy pills to keep them active. You don't need nor want the complications of feeding a ton of extra people if that's how you roll. The large homes generally have 4-8 people ready to go out at any one time, but they tend to be less built up. Larger homes also tend to be played by people with a bit of a savior complex in that they want to save as many people as possible, and hell, if you're in my community you're basically the safest you're going to be out there. The church is a bit small for either play style, since it's super uncomfortable to get basics. Infirmary and Workshop are your two givens in pretty much any base, and that kind of maxes the church out! But it's designed to be that way.

Don't worry about it. Pick up a place that you like, and if someone else tells you such and such place is better they're probably wrong.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I just kinda wish i could build everything with the Savlani Home base. Can't upgrade the treehouse and I don't have a dining area so everyone keeps yelling at each other and their guns keep accidentally going off even if it's someone with full stars in Shooting :downs:

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Out of curiosity, how well established is the modding scene for this game? Are there popular mods out there that fix some of the issues the game has? Anything being planned/watched by the community?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Huh, there's a mod that says it enables NPCs to use guns. Were they not able to do so until recently?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

PunkBoy posted:

Huh, there's a mod that says it enables NPCs to use guns. Were they not able to do so until recently?

They can, sporadically. The person in the tower will. I've noticed they tend to use guns if you're using a gun at that moment. Mostly I only ever see melee.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Coolguye posted:

Don't worry about it. Pick up a place that you like, and if someone else tells you such and such place Savini House is better they're probably wrong absolutely 100% right.

FTFY :colbert:

Seriously though, try all the houses at least once, pretty much everything he said is correct, including the part about the Church being horrible.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
God, I've got 50+ hours on record for this game and I just learned that you can bring up the shout menu with Caps Lock. It seems only Taunt for attracting zombies and Cheer for both increasing Npc's Friendliness and Mood actually work but just those have helped out a poo poo ton, not having someone go right back to being a moody bitch after a mission to get them out of their funk is freaking huge.

The more I play this game the more I can't wait for Class 4 to finally hit, just basically the same drat game with more everything would be great but it is somewhat worrying that they might spend a bit too much time and effort trying to make it an MMO.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

bitcoin bastard posted:

FTFY :colbert:

Seriously though, try all the houses at least once, pretty much everything he said is correct, including the part about the Church being horrible.

I'm not a huge fan of the Savini house because I generally don't care about libraries much and I like how the Alamo is closer to more lootable buildings with more construction supplies. The Savini house just has houses, which are great for food and medicine, but...

I've never done the MacReady ranch because gently caress driving that far to get to a town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
I did the farmstead once and yeah, it's not very convenient, and hordes come up the dirt road from the north constantly. Plus the random rocks in surrounding farmlands have killed more of my vehicles than anything else in the game.

• Locked thread