Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Somebody looked at this and apparently said "why yes, I would like to give you money for this here quality automobile"

Both wheels were bad but the left one was more so I don't think it was a lovely stance job. It was much worse in motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Stock D16A6 motor died in our CRX during a 12hr endurance race. RIP.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I did something similar to a D16Y8, except it windowed the block. That day I learned not to drive with a cold air intake in pouring rain.. especially with a missing fender liner. :downs:

So all that poo poo in the oil pump pickup is a result of rapid unintended disassembly, and not the cause, right?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Miata 1.8. Owner completed a head rebuild, then assembled and cranked it over. No start:

The combustion chamber on the missing piston is pretty scored up but the valve seats look fine. No obvious cause, but one of the intake valves on the missing cylinder was obliterated (seat, guide and spring all looked fine).

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
What a dirty gasket surface from just having had the head off. It looks like they did not even take time to fully clean it.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Pretty impressive since that is a non-interference motor. (unless he made a frankenmotor from various year parts)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
What about the keepers? Heh.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

I did something similar to a D16Y8, except it windowed the block. That day I learned not to drive with a cold air intake in pouring rain.. especially with a missing fender liner. :downs:

So all that poo poo in the oil pump pickup is a result of rapid unintended disassembly, and not the cause, right?

Yea, not the cause. We're pretty sure it was oil starvation :x

It somehow didn't window the block.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7MfHsLT9hY

Action starts at about 2:00. The video is from 2011, anyone know any more about this story?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Oh my god, the sound of the crane operator's voice, just such raw, pure emotion.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

The brake light on my Blazer came on yesterday. Today I found this. How does this even happen? (I didn't drive with the parking brake on or anything idiotic like that, and they were fine when I replaced the brake line in April.)

Luckily I have shoes and a wheel cylinder in my garage left over from one of my previous blazers, and I should be able to scavenge a drum off of one.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Shoe disbonded, likely from the contamination caused by the leaking WC. Bits of lining combined with the metal-on-metal condition wrecked your drum.
I've had shoe disbonding issues on those things without any contamination either, it's always been on whitebox shoes though.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Yeah the brake fluid leak hosed you kind of hard there.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Seems like a good opportunity to replace them with disc brakes. :getin:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Collateral Damage posted:

Seems like a good opportunity to replace them with disc brakes. :getin:

I looked that up actually. If this wasn't my daily driver, I would have parked it and ordered the kit.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Is yours a K5 or S10 Blazer? If the latter, the Oldsmobile Bravada came with 4-wheel discs after 1997. Should be a direct swap, might be cheaper than a kit, and I believe comes with a locker, so that's a plus if you don't already have one.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Crotch Fruit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7MfHsLT9hY

Action starts at about 2:00. The video is from 2011, anyone know any more about this story?

Its a wierd fail mode for a crane- usually they fall over on the narrow axis, not the really long one!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Surprised they don't put a load cell in each outrigger.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

jamal posted:

Surprised they don't put a load cell in each outrigger.

I'm not sure how that would help. A failure like that was almost certainly the ground under one or more of the pads collapsing if not an outright mechanical failure of an outrigger.

Also, there are very clear guidelines about how much weight you can lift at what angle off the ground/what extension/angle from the truck. It's a simple to understand table riveted to the front of the controls on every crane I've been around. If you can't handle that you shouldn't be operating a piece of equipment with that kind of damage potential.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Looks like he overreached. The truck is standing on the rear outriggers, so they haven't collapsed; the driveway appears to be holding. I'm guessing he pushed the boom out a few feet & ran outside the radius for the load.

All things considered, the damage is not too bad. It's the garage roof, probably truss construction. Once an engineer clears the wall framing, peel it & replace some trusses, re-sheathe & re-roof.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Found your problem, right here.

Seriously the blazer is one of the least reliable vehicles I've EVER had the displeasure of owning and driving.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

yeah man cause that brake design was only ever used in the blazer and not every single GM RWD car and light truck that didn't have rear discs from 1977 until the early-'00s. Totally the fault of the name on the hatch here.
And really it's a pretty decent brake, this is just a case of a wheel cylinder reaching the end of its service life and causing a minor cascading failure on its way out.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 30, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah...you can't really point the blame at GM (I am not a fan) for a failed wheel cylinder; drum brakes are terrible on every car, wheel cylinders are made in chinese sweatshops for five cents a piece on every car, they gently caress out and douse the liners with brake fluid all the time...on every car. It is literally one of the most common universal failures vehicles experience.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

:jebstare: :catstare: :stare:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
We're getting some crossover here with the OSHA thread in GBS no I don't read GBS

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633652

Both are great threads.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Apparently the nose gear on harriers fails often enough that they actually built what's effectively a jack stand to land it on? :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9tvdjDAr1U

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

I'm pretty sure it's for maintenance/repairs. If it was meant to be used that way it would probably be much more cushioned or there'd be springs or something.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

xzzy posted:

Apparently the nose gear on harriers fails often enough that they actually built what's effectively a jack stand to land it on? :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9tvdjDAr1U

Sure as heck beats the alternative:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I can see how that went in their heads. "Ok we just need a huge stack of mattresses to plop it down on and everything will be fine" And then once the landing process started it dawned on them the sheer size and weight of the jet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Actually the problem with the mattress solution is they got sucked into the intake.

There's a closeup of the aftermath floating around out there somewhere.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Actually the problem with the mattress solution is they got sucked into the intake.

lmao

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Best part is the Harrier is designed to be put down on its belly with minimal damage in the event of landing gear failure. Would have been cheaper to not use anything at all.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

xzzy posted:

:lol: that is amazing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Slavvy posted:

:lol: that is amazing.

And the photo evidence:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

xzzy posted:

And the photo evidence:

A mattress murder/suicide. They were quoted as saying "Nothing else mattress," before jumping into the intake :v:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jThMA3Qy-TQ

Harriers don't function too well after sucking up seawater either

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

freelop posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jThMA3Qy-TQ

Harriers don't function too well after sucking up seawater either
The report for it (linked in video) says this was like 100% pilot error and had nothing to do with sea water.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives....464_02aug02.pdf

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

stuxracer posted:

The report for it (linked in video) says this was like 100% pilot error and had nothing to do with sea water.

Still doubt it works full of seawater :colbert:

Could have sworn that was the reason and that it happened over Blackpool but that never seemed to have happened

I must have had a cognitive failure too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

stuxracer posted:

Well the report says the pilot "suffered cognitive failure" which is now my new term for "had a massive brain fart"