Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

And he wont remove them even though people have pointed out that he's so loving wrong. All because he already put the work into it.

Hey man if you can't respect the fact he's going for historical accuracy over gameplay and that he put time & effort into it, then you can go and make your own mod and play that :nyd:

And most other people will play yours as well cause seriously, 110+ extra one holding provinces :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

And most other people will play yours as well cause seriously, 110+ extra one holding provinces :lol:

Yeah, he said it played fine on his "POS" computer, but mine can barely play CKII since the India update so I seriously doubt I can even play this clusterfuck.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Trip report from landing my anti-pope in Rome. Well, that made a new pope that was my vassal, if that made him more susceptible to accept what i wanted i never really got to test because i was instantly dissatisfied and made a new anti-pope. Turns out the "real" pope is still my vassal and no matter how much he hates me, he will do everything i demand of him. AND i have a anti-pope that gets me all the gold and perks that bring.

I have a external politics pope to get me claims and excommunications outside the realm and a backup pope for internal affairs and i pretty much broke Christianity, this game is fantastic.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Allyn posted:

When he dies the title gets destroyed. (Unless it's bugged differently in the new patch, I guess.) Just wait it out, annoying though it is.

Still, I passed it along to the guy who fixed the Pope bug, hopefully he'll sort it out.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Yeah having a pope vassal is pretty much game over since there's basically nothing anyone can do against you at that point

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
In my latest game, I've been playing as the Mongols. I'd conquered most of the eastern half of the continent, reformed Tengriism, and built a 30K-strong retinue. By then I'd gotten a little tired of world conquest, so I set up on of Genghis's descendants as a merchant republic in Anatolia and played as them, quite happily building a Black Sea merchant empire. It only took two or three successions before the empire conquered all the way to Bavaria, got embroiled in a civil war, and a whole separate realm (including much of Cumania) split off into the Empire of Tartaria.

:negative: My relatives are so sooooo bad at this empire business!

Oh well, I don't particularly care, since I'm still puttering along happily as a Merchant Republic, but it's just funny seeing it go down in flames so badly! I like to switch to being a custom Merchant Republic once I get too powerful and watching what the AI does with my empire.

Also, the Aztecs invaded, but they got Crusaded a bunch of times and now they're just a rump state ruling parts of Britain and Spain, and the emperor is a Welsh Catholic. Rather disappointing, honestly.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

And he wont remove them even though people have pointed out that he's so loving wrong. All because he already put the work into it.

It's understandable if he has put alot of work in but it's still god drat stupid none the less. I wonder how much it'll impact the game performance because gently caress playing ironman with that on the map.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

It's seriously disappointing stuff. The Islam matter was dealable, since it turned out it was mostly that one fellow just spewing a lot of noise and the actual written event chain was much more reasonable (although still had its flaws). This, though, this is straight from the mod's creator and is plain dumb.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Bort Bortles posted:

Gavelkind / inheritance question: I inherited the two county Kingdom of Galicia (wtf Paradox). I am 60 and it is Gavelkind while the rest of my realm is Elective, which means it will fall to my first son, who is lovely. I currently own both counties but want to give them away to courtiers....if my first son is unlanded when I die (he will be) what happens to the Kingdom title? Does he boot one of the counts and gain the title? Or does the title get destroyed? I have never experienced this situation before.

Quoting myself for the new page because I am seriously stumped.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Bort Bortles posted:

I think he'll get the kingdom title but not any land (don't quote me on this).

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Why the gently caress do members of an empire's de jure lands get to vote on crown laws, not the people who actually loving bow to me? I just founded the Holy Roman Empire as Germany in 1040 or so via the intrigue decision, so most of my actual holdings are in Poland and Scandinavia, while most of my dejure territory is in independent mega-Lotharingia, and the assfuck Karling king won't let his vassals vote for my poo poo. Now I'm stuck in autonomous vassals, papal investiture and elective succession (the last part isn't terrible, actually).

Good news is that France and I are buddies (despite their king being a Karling too) and the two of us took Lotharingia (and his best bud Italy) to school in the past couple of France's wars, so I guess the strategy now is try to get a claim on the Lotharingian throne.

Update on this game. The year is 1090 or thereabouts. For reference, my dynasty is House Vorrade (custom), and the Karlings still rule Lotheringia, Italy, Aragon, and France (there was a Vorrade king very, very briefly who was deposed and became a vassal count, but I was too weak to press his claim at the time). Aquitaine, luckily, is ruled by someone else, but they're pretty small.

So I invited a claimant for Lotharingia, Jacques, to my court and pressed his claim, and since Lotharingia is de jure HRE, he became my vassal. The war turned into a bit of clusterfuck as everyone and their dog wanted a piece of Lotharingia while it was tied up, including the kingdom of Bavaria splitting off and becoming independent (I don't know how this happened. I think the crown laws were gavelkind and the old Lotharingian king died partway through the war). No problem, Bavaria is de jure HRE also, so I repeated this process and now my empire pretty much owns all of central Europe. My plan to put a Vorrade on the throne of Italy ended interestingly, somehow Jacques pressed his claim and won, adding Italy to my empire.

Basically what I've got on my hands now is Jacques owning about half of my land, and all of his vassals are voting for him to become the next Kaiser and not my Genius son, who's now trailing 3 votes to 7. (I think a lot of my vassals are voting for themselves, but the election screen only lets you see the two runners-up.) The good news is that Jacques only has one son and four daughters, the oldest of whom is betrothed to my younger son. I'm trying to decide whether to try to get a Vorrade on the Lotharigian throne (:ese:) and hope they vote in my favor, or just revoke and destroy the title entirely, which seems safer in the long-run, but risks a massive, massive civil war that I'm not sure I can win. Especially considering that France will probably come to Lotharingia's aid because they're both Karling.

Oh, and just for kicks, another one of my sons is Hellspawn, so I'm tempted to try to get him on the imperial throne just to see what happens.

Other random state of the world updates:

-North Africa, Egypt, the Levant, the Middle East, and most of Anatolia are ruled by a series of massive Sunni caliphates, who periodically collapse in a massive civil war and them inevitably reform. They kicked the Byzantines out of Constantinople pretty quickly, but they've always ruled from Damascus for some reason.

-The Byzantine Empire is a rump state on the Adriatic, with a couple of holdings in Armenia. I don't know why the Caliphate never usurped their title, but whatever. Also, Orthodoxy is now a Monothelite heresy.

-There was a actually a successful crusade for Greece, so Constantinople is now ruled by, of all people, the Knights Hospitaller. They've been fairly successful in converting the populace to Catholicism and are steadily making gains against the Caliphate into Anatolia.

-England and Ireland were both formed, somehow, but Scotland is called Alba and seems to be in a perpetual state of civil war.

-A second crusade for Andalusia succeeded against an Umayyad-Caliphate alliance, and the Pope gave it to me after probably the biggest battle I've seen in-game. Something like 44,000 Holy Romans, Englishmen, and Knights Templar versus 57,000 Muslims, but my retinues are all knights and shock infantry so we won fairly handily. :smuggo: I gave Andalusia to my brother, so there's at least one ally in the potential civil war to come.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 1, 2014

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

lenoon posted:

I love the idea of making the garamantes ludicrously powerful as I have spent whole winters digging up their ludicrously lovely provinces and their phenomenally awesome irrigation networks. They were like a bead obsessed landlocked trading empire - the one thing that the game still doesn't support.

I want more bead events paradox!!!!! All of our transactions must involve beads in some way! Beeeeeeeeeaaaaaads! Garamantian beeaaads!

Hey this sounds Cool&Interesting and something I haven't heard much about. Any chance of a quick post in one of the history threads in A/T about this?

Bit of an outline of the polity and how it operated etc. would be cool. I guess it could fit in the Ancient History one.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Bort Bortles posted:

Yeah I thought about it and I'm utterly clueless myself. Like I have no clue. Gavelkind mixed with other things when you have various titles always causes weird poo poo to happen. Gavelkind itself isn't always predictable.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Ugh, somebody describe the sunk cost fallacy to him. An objectively bad design is still bad even if you put a lot of effort into it.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Does anyone know where I can find a list of alternate names for titles based on culture/religion? I know that Britannia becomes Alba or Prydain depending on who holds it, and I'm wondering what other ones are out there.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Ofaloaf posted:

It's seriously disappointing stuff. The Islam matter was dealable, since it turned out it was mostly that one fellow just spewing a lot of noise and the actual written event chain was much more reasonable (although still had its flaws). This, though, this is straight from the mod's creator and is plain dumb.

Plot twist: He wants it to have so many provinces so that Islam can't spread across North Africa. :aaaaa:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

Does anyone know where I can find a list of alternate names for titles based on culture/religion? I know that Britannia becomes Alba or Prydain depending on who holds it, and I'm wondering what other ones are out there.

They're all stored in landed_titles.txt, but I don't think there's actually that many of them outside Britain and Scandinavia.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

Could you provide a link to the event chain?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

catlord posted:

I think he'll get the kingdom title but not any land (don't quote me on this).

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah I thought about it and I'm utterly clueless myself. Like I have no clue. Gavelkind mixed with other things when you have various titles always causes weird poo poo to happen. Gavelkind itself isn't always predictable.

Thanks for the responses guys :). Thankfully the game is not Ironman so I think I will create a fallback save and just test what happens using console commands since this is a rare issue. I will report back with a trip report once I get a chance to do this (should hopefully be later today).

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

Could you provide a link to the event chain?

Sure. The event writer shared them on the forums, so I don't feel bad about passing them on here. The main things is that the event to switch Islam to its own group wasn't finished yet when this was passed along, so keep that mind. Beyond that, I just don't care for Mohammad to be introduced in-game as a baby and have him sitting there for 30 years, subject to all the events and cruelties of the game, before he's visited by an archangel and the religious events really kick off.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Bort Bortles posted:

Thanks for the responses guys :). Thankfully the game is not Ironman so I think I will create a fallback save and just test what happens using console commands since this is a rare issue. I will report back with a trip report once I get a chance to do this (should hopefully be later today).

Oh wow, yeah if it isn't ironman make a save, get your king killed numerous times, and see what happens. Give away some titles here and there. Do it for SCIENCE! :science:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I just checked the thread again, and now, after people have pointed out that Egypt has far less provinces and a far greater power base he's finally seen reason! decided that Egypt could use more provinces too.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DStecks posted:

They're all stored in landed_titles.txt, but I don't think there's actually that many of them outside Britain and Scandinavia.

There are a ton of Greek/Italian alternative names for important provinces of the old Roman Empire. And the Baltics are as bad as Scandinavia with them as well.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Ofaloaf posted:

Sure. The event writer shared them on the forums, so I don't feel bad about passing them on here. The main things is that the event to switch Islam to its own group wasn't finished yet when this was passed along, so keep that mind. Beyond that, I just don't care for Mohammad to be introduced in-game as a baby and have him sitting there for 30 years, subject to all the events and cruelties of the game, before he's visited by an archangel and the religious events really kick off.

This is why I'm dusting off my Ancient Egypt mod map and going to focus it more on the Middle East and make a proper Rise of Islam mod. I can't trust Enlil any longer.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

This is why I'm dusting off my Ancient Egypt mod map and going to focus it more on the Middle East and make a proper Rise of Islam mod. I can't trust Enlil any longer.

The name + av + post here concerns me :v:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bort Bortles posted:

Not sure. My best guess is that he'll get the title and automatically steal a county from one of the kingdom's vassals (probably the de jure capital), but I'm not positive that's right.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

It's kind of sad to see the 480 mod prove itself as batshit Paradoxian as any other, but at least it gives us stuff like this:

Enlil posted:

Garamantes itself wasn't just irrigated farms, they used their powerful, large, and advanced military to control the trade, they had massive number of slaves, and were able to build themselves pyramids, so the multiple provinces shouldn't be scrapped, but supported, for their contributions to making all of North Africa more historically accurate and balanced for gameplay. With the genius and skill of the Garamantes, they weren't living in a desert, but instead the common Geramantian became more lanky and thin, because their society was able to make it that they didn't have to work very often at all. If you want Egypt can also have its provinces redone, but it makes no sense to make North Africa less accurate because the vanilla provinces in Egypt say so. You are also using quotes I made, and changing what they represent. The 80,000 number came from only 8 of the Garamantes cities, and a people who had many, many more cities. We are still discovering more and more of their ancient cities, and most of them were either destroyed by the desertification, or war, much past the start date. So under scrutiny, even if the other Garamantes cities only had a fraction of the amount in the 8 major cities, then it would still put the Garamantes population into the hundreds of thousands, not counting the many, many more added by their massive slave and merchant population. This, considering all the Garamantes have in game are 40 counties, makes the setup much more effective and accurate. If it would appease you, I can also add more provinces and holdings to Egypt, because I admit fully their power and strength in North Africa.

Ahh yes, the glorious utopia of the Late Antiquity Sahara, a land of milk and honey.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

So there will never be a great Migration Period mod.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I don't know if CK2 mechanics are really even that appropriate for the migration period.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Fuligin posted:

It's kind of sad to see the 480 mod prove itself as batshit Paradoxian as any other, but at least it gives us stuff like this:

Ahh yes, the glorious utopia of the Late Antiquity Sahara, a land of milk and honey.

It's pretty tough to believe that anyone can have nationalistic feeling towards a civilisation that very probably went completely and utterly extinct a millennium and a half ago, but there we are.

Bring back the OUR CLAY Balkan nationalism, because it is marginally less ludicrous (though infinitely more harmful).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Well, apparently he's reverting to the vanilla map, but is also scaling some things back for a quicker and more focused beta release. He apparently intends to do a North Africa expansion at a later point, hopefully by that point he'll have come up with a better plan for it.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Alikchi posted:

I don't know if CK2 mechanics are really even that appropriate for the migration period.

Frankly I feel its mechanics are still inappropriate for the viking age even though its awesome to become :black101: viking god-emperor :black101: and poo poo.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

:ssh:CK2's mechanics are varying degrees of inappropriate for everything that's not France:ssh:

Not that that's a bad thing, mind you, I personally would not hesitate to put CK2 in the top ten of the best games of all time.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Darkrenown posted:

Still, I passed it along to the guy who fixed the Pope bug, hopefully he'll sort it out.

Thanks Darkrenown, you're the best.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I just tried out the converter. Khanty, Karluk and Kirghiz still don't seem to convert over, and the small icons for Jainism and Judaism are switched.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

DStecks posted:

:ssh:CK2's mechanics are varying degrees of inappropriate for everything that's not France:ssh:

Not that that's a bad thing, mind you, I personally would not hesitate to put CK2 in the top ten of the best games of all time.

Works for England and probably the HRE as well. But yeah I can set aside my usual degree of spergin' when the game is this goddamn good.

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

Mister Adequate posted:

Works for England and probably the HRE as well. But yeah I can set aside my usual degree of spergin' when the game is this goddamn good.

Only after 1066 in England, as far as I understand.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Following up on peculiar mod design choices, I just installed the latest iteration of the HIP mod, and this time opted to get the SWMH module (map + a little bit more) installed with it all.

Behold the culture map for 1066. How many times have people complained about the bizarre division and distribution of cultures, and why haven't they done anything with the Germans yet?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ofaloaf posted:

Following up on peculiar mod design choices, I just installed the latest iteration of the HIP mod, and this time opted to get the SWMH module (map + a little bit more) installed with it all.

Behold the culture map for 1066. How many times have people complained about the bizarre division and distribution of cultures, and why haven't they done anything with the Germans yet?

Because they all speak German? It is a bad excuse. A few sub-dvisions would make sense, but then you would also have to water down the French more and the Russians more (none of which would be a bad thing). I cannot believe the vanilla CKII map still has northern Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Russia (Kola Peninsula) inhabited/traversable - I really like what the map you posted does about that and Arabia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

This game is great.

I've worked out you need to abuse the "pollinate" command in the console to get the real hosed up poo poo. This is only the beginning

• Locked thread