Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

KernelSlanders posted:

I mean no disrespect here, but I really view this attitude at part of the problem. I also don't mean to imply that cops don't have to deal with all manner of hosed up poo poo that the rest of us don't. I know they do, but the idea that it's a particularly dangerous job because everyone is trying to kill you, is simply false. Firstly, because it's statistically not a very dangerous job -- not even in the top ten. Logging, commercial fishing, construction, aircraft operation are all statistically more dangerous occupations (source).

Where do police rank in number of homicides compared to other jobs? I'm pretty sure I've never heard anyone say "all loggers should die" and "if I saw someone killing a commercial fisherman I'd look the other way".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

SrgMagnum posted:

That's not even factoring in the physical violence. I've had people pull guns on me over a fix-it ticket or a small bag of weed which wouldn't even be worth writing a ticket over.
I know firsthand that at a cop's discretion, a small bag of weed can turn into a big deal. In my younger days I got pulled over for leaving my lane to dodge a pothole in the middle of the night. I was dumb and had a tiny bag of weed in my pocket, which the cop found when he asked me to step out of the car and patted me down. Then he spent an hour searching my car in the dark, didn't find anything else, but interrogated me about breaking and entering for a bit because I had a bandana, tire iron, and pair of winter gloves in my trunk. After all that he decided to write me an additional paraphernalia charge for the baggy my gram of pot was in. I hired a lawyer and learned the paraphernalia charge was a lot more serious than the possession charge, therefore I probably wasn't going to be able to plead it down or take a suspended sentence deal for a first time offense. In the end it stuck around on my record long after the possession charge disappeared, and ultimately I changed careers because I got through the interview process at 2 new jobs, only to have corporate red flag me when they ran my background check.

I'm not justifying pulling a gun on a cop, just saying there's a reason stuff that's no big deal to cops isn't necessarily viewed the same way by civilians. I'm pretty sure the cop gave me that charge because he was frustrated he wasted his time searching my car in the middle of the night, not because he wanted to protect society from a dangerous pothead, and it significantly changed the next 5-10 years of my life.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
That doesn't sound like a problem with police, more like a problem with how the legal system deals with marijuana charges.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

SrgMagnum posted:

I can certainly understand your point of view there and I have seen and heard those stats many times. I'm not comparing my career to anybody else's or trying to make a claim that it's more dangerous than others. I'm just giving you my perspective and my experience.

In your opinion, does it matter at all that in law enforcement the danger often comes from people willfully trying to hurt you as opposed to the sea and equipment with fishermen, falling trees with loggers, or etc?

I wish I had a solution to the us vs them mentality. I'm certain both sides could do a great deal more to improve that relationship and bridge the gap. Conversations like this are a great first step towards at least getting each side to recognize and appreciate the other. Communication from cops about what they're doing and why as opposed to the "do what I say and do it now" attitude will help as well in public perception of cops as people instead of occupiers. I tried to do my part whenever I could to give people a positive encounter with a police officer. I tried to keep it in my head at all times that I had a chance to bridge that gap a little bit. That's just me and from the experiences I see posted here often I'm apparently a rarity.

America is a place that doesn't understand de-escalating. Our culture is entirely about one-upping the other guy and making sure you get heard. Unfortunately that's often displayed with yelling and acting stupid. Cops are people just like everyone else and aren't immune to that at all, clearly. There are certain people in this world that have no interest in calming down and simply want to stir up poo poo. Just look at any troll on these boards. They wander around making GBS threads up threads just to piss people off and get them fired up.

Yes, there's no question that police face unique occupational hazards, and I'm not trying to dismiss them. I'm only questioning whether "everyone's out to get me" is a rational fear, or whether at the end of the day such an attitude causes more harm than it prevents. I would also reiterate that police are statistically more likely to be killed by a car than by a gun -- a fact that if more widely known could probably save officer lives.

I agree communication is important, and I agree that conversations like this one are helpful, but more is needed. I think part of the problem is the stratification of the country that has happened over the last several decades. When I was a kid there were other kids at school, in Boy Scouts, on soccer teams who's fathers were police. That is all but guaranteed not to be the case for my kids. Police not living in the communities they police is always going to be a barrier. I don't have any good solutions for that.

I will grant that we do have a culture of one-upsmanship, but that's where training comes in. There are plenty of conflict management techniques. I don't think it's ridiculous to expect the police to be the mature ones in a conflict.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

deratomicdog posted:

That doesn't sound like a problem with police, more like a problem with how the legal system deals with marijuana charges.

I agree, I'm just saying in my case that paraphernalia charge was entirely at the discretion of the cop (I don't know anyone else who's gotten a paraphernalia charge for a baggy without also getting busted with scales and distribution quantities), and it hosed me over pretty hard.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

deratomicdog posted:

Well, the police as an institution are fighting pretty hard to prevent any changes to the way the legal system deals with marijuana charges.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I think a major step in reforming the police could be taken very, very simply - no more blackout tactical vests and ballcaps with alphabet soup on them.

Go back to pressed powder-blue shirts and five-pointed caps. Image and cultural cache are real things, and if LEOs look like the friendly helpers in the posters kids see in elementary school instead of "poo poo's goin' down" military responders, it might make a significant difference even without any other changes.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

wixard posted:

I agree, I'm just saying in my case that paraphernalia charge was entirely at the discretion of the cop (I don't know anyone else who's gotten a paraphernalia charge for a baggy without also getting busted with scales and distribution quantities), and it hosed me over pretty hard.

Yet, you hold the cop responsible when in reality it all could have been avoided in the first place:

wixard posted:

I was dumb and had a tiny bag of weed in my pocket

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Untagged posted:

Yet, you hold the cop responsible when in reality it all could have been avoided in the first place:

Right, and don't wear clothes like that if you don't want to be raped. It's just common sense!

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

wixard posted:

A plastic bag can be considered dangerous drug paraphernalia? What was it, some sort of super air tight anti-drug dog storage bag that only drug dealers use? Christ.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Everblight posted:

Right, and don't wear clothes like that if you don't want to be raped. It's just common sense!

Except, you know, the fact that you are comparing someone who knowingly commits a criminal misdemeanor to that of a sexual assault victim. Whatever makes you feel better.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Everblight posted:

I think a major step in reforming the police could be taken very, very simply - no more blackout tactical vests and ballcaps with alphabet soup on them.
The vests and ballcaps are way more comfortable though. Vests are also a lot better for your back than carrying all that poo poo around on a belt. Other than that little niggle I agree with you though. If you walk around dressed like a stormtrooper you're going to produce a certain response.

Everblight posted:

Yeah, that analogy kind of falls apart at "If you don't want a ticket, don't do illegal things." because that's perfectly reasonable advice.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Untagged posted:

I should have gotten a marijuana possession charge, yes. Instead I got more severely punished for the bag my weed was in than the weed itself, which is completely the cop's fault. He had to know paraphernalia was a more serious charge than the amount of pot I had when he wrote the ticket.

If I didn't have my weed in a ziploc, just loose in my pocket, do you think he should have taken my pants as paraphernalia?

Mercury_Storm posted:

A plastic bag can be considered dangerous drug paraphernalia? What was it, some sort of super air tight anti-drug dog storage bag that only drug dealers use? Christ.
The worst part was when I sat down with my lawyer, he told me if I had been coming home from the grocery store with a 200 pack of unopened ziplocs locked in my trunk, the cop could have written me a paraphernalia count for every one. This was NC law in 2002, I'm not sure if it's still true but it probably is.

It's considered paraphernalia so they can nail dealers to the wall.

ChristsDickWorship fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 1, 2014

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
I've been told to never charge possession of marijuana without also charging possession of paraphernalia.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Everblight posted:

I hope you're trolling, but you win the false-equivalences award if not. If you don't want to be perceived as threatening, don't act threatening. That includes not dressing like you're going to war when you step out into the community.

justsharkbait
Dec 20, 2013

HOO HA HA
Grimey Drawer
While based on stats it is true that it is not the most dangerous job out there, as has been stated the "hate is real".

A bad example, but one none the less, is goons. We (edit: goons) are feared, hated, etc on the internet because of ~stuff~ and ~things~ so goons stick together even more then more casual communities might, regardless of professions, walks-of-life, etc, etc.

Cops are the same way. People are hostile to us, whether we are just walking down the street, trying to eat food, etc. How many jobs do you know of where you can't eat at restaurants because the cooks had been to jail and don't like you. There is a reason why only certain restaurants have all the cops, its usually one of the few who aren't hostile to us......or waffle house b/c we can see the food being made and they like feeling safe late at night b/c stuff happens.

Whether you feel it is true or not, policing depending on where you work can actually be comparable to a mini-war zone. If you work in a big city there are areas that the police are not allowed to go because it is too dangerous for even us.

I believe that guy about being spit on and all that because it happens all the time. People are incredibly hostile to cops and its never talked about or discussed.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm not really following you here. Why are police officers who are completely outside of work, just sitting in their house or walking down the street or whatever, compelled to help? Why can't it be handled by cops who are on duty? I mean, if the distribution of currently working cops is such that no currently working cop can be there in time, isn't that a problem with the distribution of cops?

edit: wouldn't that be something that cop unions would be fighting against tooth and nail, the right of their members to relax on their time off?

Because when things are going normal a few cops can get order. The last thing people would want is hundreds of cops just sitting around all the time "just in case" so we are off duty. That is something that cop unions do try and help with as far as i know, but i didn't have one, but you take a legal oath to be a cop. You are a first responder which means by law you know what to do during an emergency. That means the law expects you to help in an emergency because you have the training and ability to be calm and actually help.

Most people literally shut down with something spontaneous happens, let alone an emergency so those with training in society to deal with it are expected to. That does not just include police, though.

Someone mentioned the cop saves the day when off stories. We help b/c that is who we are and what we do. The legal expection that we do is not to compel us but to cover us. The legal back up is that we are covered for getting involved should something go wrong. If that wasn't there and we got shot off duty while helping, or got injured pulling someone out of car, etc....we wld not get any payment for our familes, etc. Because without those laws saying we are "never off duty" we would not get any kind of protections for getting involved.

Overall, though, i never helped someone off duty "because well the law says i have too". I just liked to, and so do the vast majority of police and other public safety. We have the training to do so, and we like to.

If there is an armed robbery and we are with our family, even if we have our gun, it is not smart to help because we have to protect our family. In that case we would be the best witness we could be instead of risk our lives and families lives (we also don't just walk around with body armor on when we are off).

justsharkbait fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 1, 2014

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

deratomicdog posted:

I've been told to never charge possession of marijuana without also charging possession of paraphernalia.

Out of curiosity, does that make you more likely to write possession of paraphernalia tickets, or less likely to write possession of marijuana tickets?

I would assume they say that because the DA wants to see a more serious crime than weed possession in their court. The SrgMagnum quote I replied to implied that a bag of weed wasn't a big deal, but in a lot of states (like NC) paraphernalia can land you in prison so that kind of makes it a big deal.

justsharkbait
Dec 20, 2013

HOO HA HA
Grimey Drawer

wixard posted:

Out of curiosity, does that make you more likely to write possession of paraphernalia tickets, or less likely to write possession of marijuana tickets?

I would assume they say that because the DA wants to see a more serious crime than weed possession in their court. The SrgMagnum quote I replied to implied that a bag of weed wasn't a big deal, but in a lot of states (like NC) paraphernalia can land you in prison so that kind of makes it a big deal.

I only wrote weed tickets if they lied to me about having it. Otherwise, if they were honest, i threw it out and them go.

EDIT:

In my area it was the opposite. Our judges did not prosecute paraphernalia so we did not write those just to have them thrown out b/c the head judge did not like the law.

That is another level of policing. Judges are 100% in charge of their local legal system. So if a judge thinks too many speeding tickets are being written in an area, or he does not think the speed limit is fair, they will just throw out all those tickets and tell us to not bother writing them. They can't stop us from writing the ticket, but what is the point if all them get thrown out.

justsharkbait fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 1, 2014

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

justsharkbait posted:

I only wrote weed tickets if they lied to me about having it. Otherwise, if they were honest, i threw it out and them go.

So basically you took the law into your own hands and did what you please.

Does it surprise you that most people hate cops?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

litany of gulps posted:

Ah, so you prefer the cops who enforce the letter of the law without regard for how it fucks people over even in the case of stupid laws?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kalman posted:

Ah, so you prefer the cops who enforce the letter of the law without regard for how it fucks people over even in the case of stupid laws?

Honestly, I think so. Part of the fear and hatred of police is the unpredictability.

Are they going to make up BS charges to gently caress me over because they don't like how I look? Well, anecdotal evidence from everyone everywhere says yes.

Can I get off if I bribe them or flirt with them or am white enough? Well, anecdotal evidence from everywhere again says yes.

Can they randomly decide to beat me down for any reason at all with no consequences? Well, looks like again we have a yes.

If the cops actually just followed the laws and were consistent, you might see less hate and fear of them.

I don't really trust the personal judgment of most police to think that their interpretation of the law is what they should enforce. Leave that to the courts, because at least judges have some credibility.

justsharkbait
Dec 20, 2013

HOO HA HA
Grimey Drawer

litany of gulps posted:

Cops have discretion in enforcing the law, particular traffic tickets and misdemeanors.

So there is no "taking it in my own hands" it is there when you become a cop.

Eugene V. Deadlift
Apr 8, 2013

Kalman posted:

Or maybe cops who don't base their decisions on whether or not someone lied about possession to an individual who has the authority to charge them with possession. The fourth and fifth amendments are both things that exist after all.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

justsharkbait posted:

We are feared, hated, etc on the internet because of ~stuff~ and ~things~
Pictured: ~stuff~ and ~things~

Quit being obtuse. You know drat well why you people are hated.

justsharkbait
Dec 20, 2013

HOO HA HA
Grimey Drawer

litany of gulps posted:

Honestly, I think so. Part of the fear and hatred of police is the unpredictability.

Are they going to make up BS charges to gently caress me over because they don't like how I look? Well, anecdotal evidence from everyone everywhere says yes.

Can I get off if I bribe them or flirt with them or am white enough? Well, anecdotal evidence from everywhere again says yes.

Can they randomly decide to beat me down for any reason at all with no consequences? Well, looks like again we have a yes.

If the cops actually just followed the laws and were consistent, you might see less hate and fear of them.

I don't really trust the personal judgment of most police to think that their interpretation of the law is what they should enforce. Leave that to the courts, because at least judges have some credibility.

We don't make up charges. We simple decide to charge or not. We have a job to do, and we can choose how to do it.

We don't accept bribes, but if you give me a good excuse i have not heard before or make me laugh you might get off the ticket.

no. we cannot beat you down for no reason. i don't know where your evidence is of that but i never saw it.

and no, you would not see less hate because IF we followed the letter of the law if would be hell.

justsharkbait fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 1, 2014

justsharkbait
Dec 20, 2013

HOO HA HA
Grimey Drawer

BarkingSquirrel posted:

I was talking about goons, not cops.

I.G.
Oct 10, 2000

justsharkbait posted:

Why do you think this is a good idea?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

justsharkbait posted:

We don't make up chargers. We simple decide to charge or not. We have a job to do, and we can choose who to do it.

We don't accept bribes, but if you give me a good excuse i have not heard before or make me laugh you might get off the ticket.

no. we cannot beat you down for no reason. i don't know where your evidence is of that but i never saw it.

and no, you would not see less hate because IF we followed the letter of the law if would be hell.

Ah yes, front line cops, the ones who should be deciding who to enforce the laws against rather than simply enforcing the laws.

You are the worst.

Eugene V. Deadlift
Apr 8, 2013
^^^
Because people should always incriminate themselves on the off chance that the police officer has a hard-on for honesty.

justsharkbait
Dec 20, 2013

HOO HA HA
Grimey Drawer

I.G. posted:

Why do you think this is a good idea?

Because it is more work then the ticket is worth for the ticket version of possession (less then 1oz).

1) evidence bag,

2) ticket,

3) testing lab paperwork (to make sure its the drug in question)

4)whole car smells like weed.

5)1-2 page police report to cover what needs to be covered for the crime

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

litany of gulps posted:

If cops actually maxed out every misdemeanor they found the legal system would loving implode. We'd all get charged with about half a dozen crimes a day, and you'd be lucky if your grandchildren were alive for your court date.

The law is routinely insane and discretion in charging is pretty much the only thing that keeps the courts even semi-functional.

I.G.
Oct 10, 2000

justsharkbait posted:

Because it is more work then the ticket is worth for the ticket version of possession (less then 1oz).

1) evidence bag,

2) ticket,

3) testing lab paperwork (to make sure its the drug in question)

4)whole car smells like weed.

5)1-2 page police report to cover what needs to be covered for the crime

No, I mean why should lying about possession have any bearing on whether they're charged with a crime?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rent-A-Cop posted:

If cops actually maxed out every misdemeanor they found the legal system would loving implode. We'd all get charged with about half a dozen crimes a day, and you'd be lucky if your grandchildren were alive for your court date.

The law is routinely insane and discretion in charging is pretty much the only thing that keeps the legal system even semi-functional.

Yes, putting the power of deciding which laws to enforce in the hands of the grunt-level workers of the judicial branch is the only way to make the legal system functional. This is the dumbest poo poo I've ever seen. If the legal system wouldn't work without putting the burden of making it work on the judgment of the lowest tier workers in the system, then maybe the system needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. Perhaps if the police had simply enforced the laws consistently and fairly from ages past, the legal system wouldn't be all hosed up.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

BarkingSquirrel posted:

Pictured here is every cop ever.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

litany of gulps posted:

If the legal system wouldn't work without putting the burden of making it work on the judgment of the lowest tier workers in the system, then maybe the system needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.
Pretty much. I don't think your version of legal accelerationism is a particularly good idea for reform though.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

litany of gulps posted:

On the other hand, if there were actually civilian oversight panels the best way they could change how their communities are policed (without years of legal battles) is if they can influence cops, DAs, and/or judges to use their discretion the way the community would like.

justsharkbait
Dec 20, 2013

HOO HA HA
Grimey Drawer

litany of gulps posted:

Ah yes, front line cops, the ones who should be deciding who to enforce the laws against rather than simply enforcing the laws.

You are the worst.

It was supposed to say how or when to enforce.

Also, the law is not as simple as "just enforcing it" because circumstances are important too.

For example, lady going to hospital is speeding. I pull her over.

Claims her husband was being rushed there because of accident.

I knew there was a serious accident that had happened and believed her story.

That is a valid excuse to me to "break the law". It is traffic law, and not criminal code. She is not a criminal. She violated a rule, like talking in class.

Of course, i could have given her a ticket but then she would have gotten a ticket on the same day her husband died in a car accident.

That would be great for public perception wouldn't it?

our role as police officers is to 1)enforce the law, but also 2) decide when it needs to be enforced.

That is why we have investigations, procedure, etc. We add a human element to the black and white of the law.

Does that mean that many officers have used it badly? Absolutely because when people are given power bad things can happen.

If people are afraid of the feared "police state" then you don't want to take away the discretion because you will have a police state.

justsharkbait fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 1, 2014

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

justsharkbait posted:

If people are afraid of the feared "police state" then you don't want to take away the discretion because you will have a police state.

Is the police state when you have too many laws or is it when the police control how the laws are enforced and who they're enforced against?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
So far a goon has complained that a cop did not use discretion, and a goon has complained that a cop would use any discretion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

justsharkbait posted:

That's not what this term means. Stripping away the rule of law and having police arbitrarily decide who does and doesn't go to prison is what makes a police state. Guess what you're advocating for.

• Locked thread