Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

KaneTW posted:

Considering it's Volt Catfish, I'm pretty sure it's the latter.

Thanks for the off-site drama, that's a cool thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

kirbysuperstar posted:

Thanks for the off-site drama, that's a cool thing to do.

KaneTW is your one stop shop for stalking people outside of the game.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

You see it's because linking someone's public twitter totally is stalking.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Daily Forecast posted:

Another question about classes: say I wanted to main Paladin. Is there always room for a paladin in a party? Say, for raiding or something, does generally only one paladin come along, or can two fit into a raid pretty easily? Would I have trouble getting into parties and raids and such if I wanted to play only Paladin?

And if so, does Warrior also have this problem?

I just want to say that I love posts like this that obviously come from FF11 survivors. They're just so precious!

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Fister Roboto posted:

I just want to say that I love posts like this that obviously come from FF11 survivors. They're just so precious!

'Survivors' would be loving right, I played that game for years and I had a hard time bringing my BLM to anything. It was RDM or go home. I don't want that to happen again. :(

I totally forgot that ninja was going to be a thing. Another cool thing to come back for! I actually remembered that I really loved BRD when I was leveling my ARC sub for BLM, so I decided to just level that, which I know would probably have no problem doing anything. Everyone loves a Bard, right?

Sucks that I gotta level DRG first but thems the breaks.

I still can't transfer to Excalibur. Character creation there seems to be available but it's not on the list of servers to transfer to. Is this typical and I should just keep checking until it appears, or did I do something wrong when I made a character with my current character's name on Excal?

Irae
Nov 19, 2011

Thundarr posted:

Lost City is a great, atmospheric dungeon and I will gladly run it over and over. But for whatever reason, on my data center it is still a crap shoot whether a DF tank will ditch as soon as it starts. Even with the leave-for-free glitch fixed. I have had tanks wordlessly leave even when they see the rest of us in i90+ gear and I just don't get it.

The problem with Lost City is you can potentially have the smoothest run until the last boss, and then no one willing / able to even acknowledge doors are a thing to handle during the fight. As a tank it's a pain to do unless everyone stays put and calm at the start while you mark, and I wouldn't bet on that happening if the rest of the group isn't even willing to try and mark / open doors themselves.

Since it's technically the longest of the expert roulette, I'm pretty sure many don't even want to take that gamble and just quit.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Daily Forecast posted:

'Survivors' would be loving right, I played that game for years and I had a hard time bringing my BLM to anything. It was RDM or go home. I don't want that to happen again. :(

I totally forgot that ninja was going to be a thing. Another cool thing to come back for! I actually remembered that I really loved BRD when I was leveling my ARC sub for BLM, so I decided to just level that, which I know would probably have no problem doing anything. Everyone loves a Bard, right?

Sucks that I gotta level DRG first but thems the breaks.

I still can't transfer to Excalibur. Character creation there seems to be available but it's not on the list of servers to transfer to. Is this typical and I should just keep checking until it appears, or did I do something wrong when I made a character with my current character's name on Excal?

Nope, just keep trying. It updates at 4 and 8 AM PST. Excal is very popular and is only open at odd, odd hours. Yes, they have to lock it down past midnight, even. Ten months after release.

The free period is going to be ridiculous.

BTW, the TLDR to your previous question is: play what you want to play. Odds are you'll find a group that can make it work. If anything, I doubt you'll ever be wanting for groups if you legitimately enjoy PLD. Bards are more common but good ones are always valued.

Though do remember NIN won't be a tank in this game! Odds are they won't even have Utsusemi/Image at all. The dev team absolutely wants them to be DPS, not tank.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jul 1, 2014

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Daily Forecast posted:

BLM is probably considered the worst end-game job right now and even then you'll find very few pugs that would turn you down assuming the raid comp is decent. If you're playing a tank you'll be in high demand no matter which job you choose.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Looks like 2.3 will get the best change ever:

quote:

Good news, everyone!

In patch 2.3 we’ll be making adjustments to the camera so that when entering boss battle areas in dungeons and such, the barrier that is erected to seal the battlefield will not affect it.

The days of trying to move the camera "just so" to see what the hell is going on past the boss are over hopefully.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

RuanGacho posted:

The best MMO, not even a year from launch yet :colbert:

Yeah I still can't believe I've stuck with it so long. Been really impressed with their content focus on patches.

I've never cared about MMO's but every single time I log in I have a blast regardless of what I do in this.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Freaksaus posted:

The days of trying to move the camera "just so" to see what the hell is going on past the boss are over hopefully.

Yeah, there's another nice little addition too. Being able to see how long until your next veteran reward, and how long you have until your subscription runs out on the character select screen is pretty handy, to say the least.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I love how, in addition to the big stuff, they keep doing little things that slightly improve the player experience.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I give them mad credit for realizing how badly they hosed up with XIV, and going out of their way to be welcoming and communicative with ARR. I'm legitimately happy they turned it around, because XIV was *such* a train wreck and the success of ARR shows other companies "Hey, if you do a good job and talk to people you too can make money".

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Honestly if it hadn't been for the trainwreck and 'rebirth' so to say I probably wouldn't have bothered picking ARR up. I like how they even tried to work that poo poo into the backstory.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

bonewitch posted:

BLM is probably considered the worst end-game job right now and even then you'll find very few pugs that would turn you down assuming the raid comp is decent. If you're playing a tank you'll be in high demand no matter which job you choose.

BLM's supposed to be getting some help in the next patch too, though no one knows how yet.

Personally, I take BLM to Coil 2. It's not the best DPS in the world, but it's entirely viable.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

No one who is still struggling with second coil at this point will gain anything by taking another DPS class over a BLM. Wasn't particularly an issue at the beginning of 2.2, either.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

So, I put in the time and effort to level many crafting classes to 50, make an HQ patrician's set and dodore doublet as well as aetheryte rings and militia offhand and so on. I then meld up a storm and endure the heartbreaking 12% failure rate over and over.

I think, "I'm so close, I'll accept this help to get access to artisan specs. My goal is within reach." (Thanks again, btw, Ana)

"10 HQ two star items with 400+ difficulty and 5000+ quality please.", says the NPC.

:negative:

Oh god. It never ends. I need a break.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Jedi425 posted:

BLM's supposed to be getting some help in the next patch too, though no one knows how yet.

Personally, I take BLM to Coil 2. It's not the best DPS in the world, but it's entirely viable.

BLM isn't bad, it's just the most heavily punished by high movement fights out of all the dps classes.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

PhilippAchtel posted:

"10 HQ two star items with 400+ difficulty and 5000+ quality please.", says the NPC.

They're not that much harder than a 2* item. You need all-HQ materials, though, and your first action after the CZ/IQ/WN/SH2 start should be Piece by Piece instead of other stuff. PbP and three CS2s is enough to finish, and if all mats are HQ and you land at least one good, 5 touches and Byregot's is enough quality.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I have all 3 star crafting, haven't had a NQ in my last 300 or so turnin items either. Haven't really done much with it aside from occasionally making my own gear and being pretty much the only one around that can respond to 3 star glamour requests in FC chat (as opposed to 5 people responding at once for melds and stuff). It doesn't really make me any money either after the millions I've sunk into melding. I could HQ terminus putty I guess but that doesn't even really move that much unless I undercut like crazy.

You should be getting the glasses with CUL by the way, cheapest way to do it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Today we get a look at Personal Rooms.

300k confirmed, can hold 50 items which is pretty nice for a room. I'm excited to fill mine with chairs and make it an intervention-style room or something.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I'm pretty ready for mine, aside from picking out a bed.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

RuanGacho posted:

2.3 that we know mostly for sure, we think July 8th
  • Hullbreaker Isle
  • Grand Company - Max Rank Increase
  • Daily Hunts - Notorious Monsters must die

Have a link to more info on these three?

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

bonewitch posted:

BLM isn't bad, it's just the most heavily punished by high movement fights out of all the dps classes.

Yeah, 100% right. Turn 7 was a nightmare for me until we worked out positioning that could minimize the number of times I needed to move outside of Voice/Shriek.

I'm really hoping Olesh's idea comes true and they let us bank Firestarters, because that'd not only give me something to pop while I move, but it'd stop me wasting procs because it takes forever for the proc to show up when I'm spamming Fire I.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Kuvo posted:

Hunts: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/7364d5b97a69c0e5142b582c12216ab8886a09af
Dungeon Preview: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/3bf319a07aae8092c72573bed94b75add06ab2b1

I haven't seen anything about a max rank increase.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Kuvo posted:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/special/2_3_Defenders_of_Eorzea/dungeons/

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Tanks for these. I assume Hullbreaker Isle will be in the expert roulette group?

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Kuvo posted:

Tanks for these. I assume Hullbreaker Isle will be in the expert roulette group?

If 2.2 and 2.1 are anything to go by, it'll likely be in its own group alongside Stone Vigil (Hard) and Tam-Tara Deepcroft (Hard).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Kuvo posted:

I believe all three of the new dungeons will be part of Expert Roulette, yeah.

E: though it's possible there'll be a 2.3 dungeon roulette all its own like Crashscreen says.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

They've said it's in part how we're earning the right for the new GC gear which I have seen pictured but don't have the time at the moment to hunt down.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Kyrosiris posted:

I believe all three of the new dungeons will be part of Expert Roulette, yeah.

E: though it's possible there'll be a 2.3 dungeon roulette all its own like Crashscreen says.

I hope not, I always assumed Low-Level Roulette was 1-50, High Level was 50-55 (dropping i60 gear) and Expert was 55+ (dropping Sol for i100 gear)

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
High Level has five dungeons (WP, AK, Pharos, Copperbell Hard, Haukke Hard), so I expect all three of them to go into Expert to roughly level them out. For being sold as harder than High Level (three stars on the image in the Duty list instead of two, etc.), it's kind of a joke right now in terms of difficulty. I don't want the new dungeons to be soul-crushing horrors, but having to actually pay attention instead of mashing AOEs would be cool.

fake edit: meh I'm just overgeared I guess

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mega64 posted:

Today we get a look at Personal Rooms.

300k confirmed, can hold 50 items which is pretty nice for a room. I'm excited to fill mine with chairs and make it an intervention-style room or something.

The note about not being able to leave your FC until you vacate your room sounds like it could create a lot of strife. Member turns out to be a jackass or leaves the game without a word? You may be SOL! Either something is being left out of the details there or a lot of people will start screaming about private rooms messing with FC management shortly after 2.3 hits.

Unless they let you boot people anyway and force them to forfeit rooms full of furniture, which would generate slightly different forums drama.

E: what I'm saying is don't let new recruits have access to buy private rooms in your FC house.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 1, 2014

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Yeah, I'm a little iffy about that; I'm going to be a lot more reluctant to prune the FC for inactivity if it means people are going to lose 300,000 gil + all their furnishings when they come back.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Freaksaus posted:

Man this is a change I never thought they'd actually make, it was just too small of an annoyance. It did annoy the hell out of me at times though so their attention to detail is absolutely loving delightful :3:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They already have a working salvager so getting it to refund items and money shouldnt be an issue.

GB_Sign
Oct 9, 2012

If it does work like that, then if you think you are going to quit the game for more than a couple months (I think we were at 60+ days last time I looked) and 300k is a lot of gil to waste for you, it might not be a good idea to buy a FC personal room and instead wait for actual personal housing.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

pksage posted:

High Level has five dungeons (WP, AK, Pharos, Copperbell Hard, Haukke Hard), so I expect all three of them to go into Expert to roughly level them out. For being sold as harder than High Level (three stars on the image in the Duty list instead of two, etc.), it's kind of a joke right now in terms of difficulty. I don't want the new dungeons to be soul-crushing horrors, but having to actually pay attention instead of mashing AOEs would be cool.

fake edit: meh I'm just overgeared I guess

The HM dungeons arent harder they're just largely a bigger pain in the rear end than the EX dungeons.

It's sort of like how Coil 1 is a mishmash of different, confusing mechanics in a few of its fights but Coil 2 is tbqh a lot smoother in how everything is sort of presented to you. Like it all makes sense in a way that you can stand back and look at whats going and appreciate it more.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Man, this is dumb question, but I just assumed it only applied to the expert roulette -- can you run a low and high lvl roulette with your own party or is just the expert roulette?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Man, this is dumb question, but I just assumed it only applied to the expert roulette -- can you run a low and high lvl roulette with your own party or is just the expert roulette?
You can do the expert and high level roulettes in your own party, but all the other roulettes are solo only.

• Locked thread