Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Just bought some fire warriors and one of those cheap eldar clicktogether packs to paint before I try the other ones.

This is what I think I'm gonna use for a colour scheme, I also got agrax earthshade to wash them with. Not sure about the straps and belt colour, but I think the purple could look nice once shaded.

Criticism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Add some neon green in there.

Really jazz that poo poo up!!

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Moola posted:

Add some neon green in there.

Really jazz that poo poo up!!

Yeah I realized that I didn't buy a green :/ not sure if I want one of my main colours to be something I have to mix myself. I guess I'll find a nice green since I want that anyways

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Elfface posted:

They own the patent on 'Space Marine' in a name, but not the content of a book. And yeah, they sent a Cease and Desist to a charity book, but I'll give them that one, since if you don't protect IP it sets a precedent, and would have allowed other non-charitable enterprises to use it.

Maybe we're thinking of different suits but the one he's probably thinking of is the time they sued the author of 'Katz the Space MArine' a book that boiled down into Erotic Furry 40k fan fiction.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sistergodiva posted:

Just bought some fire warriors and one of those cheap eldar clicktogether packs to paint before I try the other ones.

This is what I think I'm gonna use for a colour scheme, I also got agrax earthshade to wash them with. Not sure about the straps and belt colour, but I think the purple could look nice once shaded.

Criticism?

I think the colors you've chosen will blend together too much. Purple will work great on the armor plates, but the fuschia or whatever on the fatigues should be switched out. Some contrast would really help since everything will be a few feet away when you play.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Safety Factor posted:

I think the colors you've chosen will blend together too much. Purple will work great on the armor plates, but the fuschia or whatever on the fatigues should be switched out. Some contrast would really help since everything will be a few feet away when you play.

Thanks!

Warlord purple on the clothes, I was choosing between that and scarlet red but this one seemed to pop more, but you are probably right. Maybe go with blood red for them instead? Gonna try some of the colors as soon as it stops raining so I can prime them.

Vallejo game paint by the way.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Sistergodiva posted:

Criticism?

But, this isn't the Candy Crush thread? :confused:

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I love the purple (It's going to be a main color on my own Tau!), but I agree that the other color blends into it too much. Could definitely use more contrast. Maybe a brighter red?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Esser-Z posted:

I love the purple (It's going to be a main color on my own Tau!), but I agree that the other color blends into it too much. Could definitely use more contrast. Maybe a brighter red?

Yeah, with a purple that dark you want a bright autumn color to complement it. Maybe a bright red, orange or yellow.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
I think the ork book is a step in the right direction. I dislike how many armies get to circumvent the majority of the psychology rules and I'm glad leadership is actually going to play a role in this army. I mean we are talking about dudes that cost 6 points per model who can now move up to 24" on foot in turn two and have 4 attacks each on the charge.

And like someone said earlier new mob rule can be a better rule when squads are under 10 models which is great for kommandos, nobs, koptas, lootas... Really, just about every choice in the army bar boyz.

And it's probably a bit of an improvement if we compare it to taking extra wounds from fearless in 5th ed; which was the environment that codex was released in.

I'm really digging it. There's a bunch of units that I've never thought to take before that look really tempting now. Tankbustas scoring an additional VP for first blood is great, new rules for bomb squigs are rad. Shrouded on kommandos looks really fun. Points drops on koptas, bikes and buggies are great and cheap rear end rokkits for everyone is going to be a blast.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, with a purple that dark you want a bright autumn color to complement it. Maybe a bright red, orange or yellow.

Alternatively, what about teal?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'd go with a khaki/cream colour.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Tried it with yellow and that sticks out at lot better. But yeah a slightly brownish/yellowish white could also be awesome. Gonna have to experiment with the armor and weapons decals and the sept marks. Harder than I though to find 3 colors that fit nicely together but aren't too similar.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN

LordAba posted:

I think the Mob Rule complaints are overblown, much like Synapse for tyranids was when it came out. Oh man, remember when people loaded up on all the synapse they could because hormagaunts could lose half a unit to a LD <7 check?

Yeah, it can suck when you lose 6 guys. But the odds are you will put 2 wounds on the unit. It's better than running away and only regrouping on double ones. Or being swept in combat. The old mob rule is preferred, yes, but I doubt people have put in enough games to determine the actual impact of the new Mob Rule.

EDIT: Everything being basically LD7 does suck. Fear has a fairly limited impact (mostly against TMCs) as you were hitting those daemon princes on 5s anyways. Pinning tests suck, but a lot of things lost the pinning rule by default in 7th.

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

:stare: http://www.frontlinegaming.org/2014/06/28/mob-rule-will-one-of-the-worst-rules-in-40k/

Man, the Ork dex is a bloodbath idb. While I'm not super-excited about Mob Rule, I'm still pretty hopeful for this book. It does seem to rule Trukk Boyz right out unless I want to make a model with 1/2 the BS and I the same cost as a space marine by making them all 'Ard Boyz.

Truxplosion: 3 wounded boyz; Pinning test: roll Mob Rule, then lose .75 boyz after saves; 25% morale: roll Mob Rule again, lose .75 boyz again. :psyduck: I can't help but share some of the author's apprehension and desire to wholly bypass Mob Rule. That I get to kill a fistful of boyz myself without the benefit of Fearless irks quite a bit. It'll suck even harder when some spooky MC waltzes right up and the boyz want to run right the gently caress off the board instead of trying to chop it to poo poo for trophies.
I think the complaints about Mob Rule are legit when it comes to Trukk boyz (especially when you combine it with the Ramshackle nerf, loss of S3 hits, and template weapons causing D6 autohits). Trukks should be like 20 points, not 30.

Power Player fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 1, 2014

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

PantsOptional posted:

Alternatively, what about teal?

They would work together but you run the risk of your guys looking kind of Easter-y.

For that optional force deployment that gives you a waaaggh every turn and hammer of wrath, are the specified models the only ones you can take? If you wanted others would they need to be a new detachment and would they get the benefits as well?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Power Player posted:

I think the complaints about Mob Rule are legit when it comes to Trukk boyz (especially when you combine it with the Ramshackle nerf, loss of S3 hits, and template weapons causing D6 autohits). Trukks should be like 20 points, not 30.

Trukks were a trap before, and they are a trap now.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
What are people thinking is the best way to take Ork troops then? Say gently caress it and take 70 points of throw away grots? 30 foot sloggin boyz with KFF Big meks and painboyz? 20 in a wagon that eat up a HS slot as well?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I maintain a unit of ard boys in a trukk coming on from reserve combined with a waagh is great - they can absolutely pelt it up the field and hit combat with no casualties bar overwatch, and then beat the gently caress out of a target. Really worked in the last game I played vs Orks. But they do cost similar to like 30 foot Boyz.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lord Twisted posted:

I maintain a unit of ard boys in a trukk coming on from reserve combined with a waagh is great - they can absolutely pelt it up the field and hit combat with no casualties bar overwatch, and then beat the gently caress out of a target. Really worked in the last game I played vs Orks. But they do cost similar to like 30 foot Boyz.

But you can't assault the turn you arrive from reserve. :confused:
Edit: I also don't think you can disembark if you move over 6".

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 1, 2014

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

Naramyth posted:

Even more of a trap. At least with old Ramshackle you had a chance to crash them in the general direction of the enemy. Overwatch has also nerfed Trukk boys. It just sucks. All we got out of it was a buff to boarding planks and minus five points.

Edit: All I want is for my hillbilly pick-up trucks filled with all my rowdy friends to be at least not total ship or cheaper. Is that too much to ask

Power Player fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 1, 2014

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Old trukks were a trap, but a hilarious one. Drive flat-out at the enemy before falling apart like a clown car.

As for the rest of the list... with Shokk Attack and Zapp guns a little safer and the new Mek Gunz, I scan see 'Crazy Weapons' lists being quite useful.

Going to be playing a friend's demons later today, so I'll try a few things out and see what happens. 1,000 pts, so '420 waaagh evry day' probably isn;t going to happen, but an *Orcanaught full of meks and burners might.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

serious gaylord posted:

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

I'm going white, washed grey, on mine*, so I feel obligated to support this.

*Pics once the first batch arrives and gets painted. :v:

It's really a shame Trukks look so, well, not good. I like them a lot in theory, and I'll probably model some anyway!

Any advice on what to do for troops, if trukkboyz are a bad move? I'd like to put an ork list together, but I'm not really sure what I'm doing with them.

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 1, 2014

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Hey, what's that bits site that keeps getting thrown around? I checked the OP and didn't find it.

My brother has four boxes of these guys, I need to cue up some lasguns and heavy weapons.

I'll cut and trim them so that the shoulders don't look so hosed up, too.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

Finally just came to the realization that the Deffrolla wasn't nerfed to "tank shock causes D3 AP 4 Strength 10 hits", but rather "D3 AP 4 Strength 10 hits on a failed DoG, Plus 2 to frontal armor for ramming". Uh, wow.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Not gonna lie, I kind of want to make an "elite" Ork army of ardboyz rolling around in trukks kitbashed with Tauroxes to make halftrakks, and have the whole army look like an Orky attempt at a realistic army. I think it would be fun to do them up as Blood Axes as the Tryhard Boyz.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SRM posted:

Not gonna lie, I kind of want to make an "elite" Ork army of ardboyz rolling around in trukks kitbashed with Tauroxes to make halftrakks, and have the whole army look like an Orky attempt at a realistic army. I think it would be fun to do them up as Blood Axes as the Tryhard Boyz.

No matter how well or badly that army might do, by making it you'd have already won at Warhammer 40k.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Bit the bullet on the AdMech stuff. Still not too sure what to do for my HQ, though. How do people run their Magos?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Safety Factor posted:

But you can't assault the turn you arrive from reserve. :confused:
Edit: I also don't think you can disembark if you move over 6".

gently caress I thought that was just outflank? Ah well I honestly thought that had changed in 7th ed

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

SRM posted:

I got some Orks you might like

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Trukk boyz have been crap since 5th. They don't have the numbers to sustain assault and are rarely going to assault more than one unit.*

If you are looking for a suicide missile to throw at people use 3 MANz in a Trukk. They cost 150pts. They have 12 PK attacks on the charge at s9 ap2. Will laugh at overwatch, will laugh at mob rule, will laugh at explodes wounds. Most of the stuff that affects Trukk Boyz is not much of a problem for MANz. You can use them to assault vehicles, backfield units, Walkers.

Downsides, not a troop choice and people will point many guns at that trukk.

It is a shame you can no longer make them troops. Sigh.

20 shoota boyz in a wagon is a fine choice. 18 with a Warboss and Painboy is nice. Screen the wagon with buggies. +1 point is not much on 18 boyz.

*This didn't stop me from continually taking them and re-discovering this fact every time. They can't be that bad...I never learnt.

Raphus C fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 1, 2014

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

Raphus C posted:

Trukk boyz have been crap since 5th. They don't have the numbers to sustain assault and are rarely going to assault more than one unit.

If you are looking for a suicide missile to throw at people use 3 MANz in a Trukk. They cost 150pts. They have 12 PK attacks on the charge at s9 ap2. Will laugh at overwatch, will laugh at mob rule, will laugh at explodes wounds. Most of the stuff that affects Trukk Boyz is not much of a problem for MANz. You can use them to assault vehicles, backfield units, Walkers.

Downsides, not a troop choice and people will point many guns at that trukk.

It is a shame you can no longer make them troops. Sigh.

20 shoota boyz in a wagon is a fine choice. 18 with a Warboss and Painboy is nice. Screen the wagon with buggies. +1 point is not much on 18 boyz.
I don't think anyone is arguing that Trukk boyz were amazing in Fifth (or sixth), but they certainly weren't downright useless like they are now. Like, they couldn't be thrown any sort of bone besides Boarding plank?

Fake edit: There will always be bad units. There Has To Be A "Worst" Unit. But to deliberately not do anything to improve a unit that was mediocre in one edition and got worse across another is just... well, stupid.

Fake edit 2: "They have always been crap" is not an excuse for them to still be crap

Fake edit 3: Man, trying to create a 500 point list is hard with three forced Troop choices.

Power Player fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 1, 2014

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Esser-Z posted:

I'm going white, washed grey, on mine*, so I feel obligated to support this.

Do you think Off-White + agrax earthshade is enough to make it look greyish? Painted on black primer.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Naramyth posted:

But in the last codex, they were a trap for both players: sure, blow up the trukk, but there's as much chance as not that it'll careen into your own gunline. As stated, templates thwomping duders in open-toppped vehicles combined with Mob Rule makes for truly either an under-powered (by way of awful survivability) or over-costed ('ard boyz) unit. The trick was always target saturation--run like four trukks and watch only half make it and start causing real damage. Meanwhile, whatever other nasty poo poo you've got could keep pounding enemy lines.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Bit the bullet on the AdMech stuff. Still not too sure what to do for my HQ, though. How do people run their Magos?

From what I've seen around the net, they run them pimped as hell. They can be something like T6 with 3++ and a bunch of wounds, plus a pretty solid gun and the servo harness thing. And they need to be since they can't join squads. Most lists also ran a second one that was much cheaper to have extra "babysitting" power for the...Castellax(?). The MC troop guys. If you don't have many of them you can probably get away with just 1 Magos.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Sistergodiva posted:

Do you think Off-White + agrax earthshade is enough to make it look greyish? Painted on black primer.

That'll run you more of a dark brown. Nuln Oil is the more grey/black wash and while I don't know that it alone is the answer, it's a nice wash to have for bringing out details in metals.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

It's foolish to be upset over the loss of ramshackle's S3 hits. That was a leftover from the 4E open topped rules. When 6E made open topped explosions S4, you knew it was only a matter of time before trukks came into line with every other open topped transport.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

PeterWeller posted:

It's foolish to be upset over the loss of ramshackle's S3 hits. That was a leftover from the 4E open topped rules. When 6E made open topped explosions S4, you knew it was only a matter of time before trukks came into line with every other open topped transport.
Which is fine, I understand that. But why didn't trukks get anything else other then a five-point reduction?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I like the idea of trukks careening into the enemy as they get shot up. It's very orky. A shame they apparently don't actually work well. I'd be totally cool with the mechanic being "ram the trukks into the enemy gunline, then the boyz leap out of the wreckage to attack".

That'd be right orky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
12 Boyz are a bad choice if you want to get much done. There should be a rule as there was in the third edn codex that gave Trukk Boyz a special rule for when their ride went boom. With ramshackle and s3 I found them worse than useless in 5th, 6th and the same looks to be true for 7th.You would need some serious rules fiddling to make 12 Boyz in a 10/10/10 transport anything other than a death trap.

I see people are happy that trukks are available to more choices. I suppose 5 burnas in a trukk for 110 may be interesting.

The worst thing (there are not many bad things) about the codex change is the removal of the force org changes.

• Locked thread