Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

those lego pictures need representation from Bent and Roach.
Roach would probably be a fluffed out q-tip tip. Bent would probably need a alligator head on a dog's body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Habibi posted:

Oh god just looked at that pic of the actors and :lol:.

Also: Danny DeVito as Kruppe.

NSFWish

THE EEL OF DARUJHISTAN SLITHERS GRACEFULLY FORTH!

edit: Slithering not Sliding.

Yngwie Mangosteen fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 28, 2014

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

nucleicmaxid posted:

NSFWish

THE EEL OF DARUJHISTAN SLIDES GRACEFULLY FORTH!

:lol: he is perfect.

Though he probably slithers.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Danny DeVito is only good at playing Danny DeVito. I always pictured Tattersail as pretty in spite of herself, so to speak. Confidence goes a long way in making someone attractive.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Habibi posted:

I feel like it's hard to come up with comparable because it's not a body style you see often among women in Hollywood, but I think you'd need a couple of extra sizes up on that Winslet shot. It the impression that Tattersail was not so much pretty and plump as she was plump and pretty.

After reading all of the books, it seems pretty clear Erickson has a thing for bigger women, so Yea.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Dyscrasia posted:

After reading all of the books, it seems pretty clear Erickson has a thing for bigger women, so Yea.

What? Who else?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Habibi posted:

What? Who else?

Picker, Scillara, Felisin Younger.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Juaguocio posted:

Eh, of those, only Scillara is portrayed as desirable, and her weight was iirc largely a function of her pregnancy.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Juaguocio posted:

Don't forget Rucket's weird fat lady illusion.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Wasn't Picker padding her clothing?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Guy writes a few large women into his massive 10 book series that spans over 10 thousand pages and goons immediately assert that he has a fatty fetish.

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012
Also Sweetlard and Rumjugs. The Letherii whores on Hedge's Bridgeburners.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Levitate posted:

Guy writes a few large women into his massive 10 book series that spans over 10 thousand pages and goons immediately assert that he has a fatty fetish.

To be fair, it's pretty obvious.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Junk Science posted:

To be fair, it's pretty obvious.

Apparently not!

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Not really, most cultures liked 'em big back in the day.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Author includes heavy women in books; has a fat fetish.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

After my first pass through the series, I was left with a few lingering impressions. Ochre, potsherds, philosoldiers, dinosaurs, and fat chicks.

Might not be a fetish per se, but it definitely stands out.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Opal posted:

Author includes heavy women in books; has a fat fetish.

Author includes only thin women in books; sexist pig that objectifies women.

You just can't really win.

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012
Next thing you know, people gonna say Robert Jordan didn't have a thing for S&M and GRRM doesn't have a fetish for, well, every drat thing.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Junk Science posted:

After my first pass through the series, I was left with a few lingering impressions. Ochre, potsherds, philosoldiers, dinosaurs, and fat chicks.

Yeah, I'm going to hazard a guess that that was you.

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
This is what I'm left with after reading 8 out of 10 Erikson books: loam and absolutely sickening mortarless masonry

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

feraltennisprodigy posted:

This is what I'm left with after reading 8 out of 10 Erikson books: loam and absolutely sickening mortarless masonry

Is it fat loam? Is loam inherently fat? Sounds fat. Loam.

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

As many badasses and amazing characters as there are in this series the one that really sticks with me is Corabb. That guy just puts a smile on my face every time he's in a scene. I just finished reading House of Chains yesterday and I just love that lucky little bastard

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

I also got a random event where a bunch of them got thawed out by a passing mage and decided to kill all my troops in the province.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Cardiac posted:

Laseen/Surly is Napan, and thus black.

Laseen is blue.

This conversation about Tattersail is the gooniest thing I've seen in a while.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

I Own Soulz posted:

Author includes only thin women in books; sexist pig that objectifies women.

You just can't really win.

Actually, you can.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Opal posted:

Actually, you can.

Is this supposed to be some troll to pull me into a misogyny discussion or are you really taking my joke as an honest view of the portrayal of women in literature? Please don't.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
did someone say vaguely malazan tattoos?

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp
Not gonna lie that's a pretty boss tattoo

Opal
May 10, 2005

I Own Soulz posted:

Is this supposed to be some troll to pull me into a misogyny discussion or are you really taking my joke as an honest view of the portrayal of women in literature? Please don't.

I don't know what a 'troll' is, I'm just playing straight to what you wrote. Since you were joking there's no need to get defensive.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Two things -

I just started another (third) 're-read' which I put in quotes because this time I'm listening to the audiobooks, and it's pretty nice! I probably wouldn't recommend them to a new reader, but because I already have a slots in my brain to ID all the wor'ds that get thrown around there's no issue following events. Having a different perspective on the text is nice, and it flushes out a lot of detail that I might skim over or not fully process. Beginning of chapter poems are a good example -- they always make my eyes glaze over a little. Only through books one and a half but apparently there's a worse narrator later on. Guess I'll see.

Second, uh -- do we know anything about Erikson's sci fi novel coming out in a few months? I just bumped into it on Amazon and had to do a double take. The cover and description make it sound sort of generic as hell but I rather suspect that won't be the case.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

NmareBfly posted:

Second, uh -- do we know anything about Erikson's sci fi novel coming out in a few months? I just bumped into it on Amazon and had to do a double take. The cover and description make it sound sort of generic as hell but I rather suspect that won't be the case.

Here's a sample chapter: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/11/steven-erikson-willful-child-preview

I found it pretty entertaining.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

:siren: fatty alert :siren:

Erikson posted:

From her file he knew that she had been born in Northern India, close to the old Pakistan border, post-Caste but from Sikh bloodlines. She was full-bodied and absurdly beautiful

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So far I am about half way through the second book. Everything I read here is true. The characters and the stories are intense and compelling. It's well written (2nd book better than the first).

The only complaints I have are thematic. A bit too high fantasy in terms of both the importance and prevalence of magic and the exotic composition of sentient races I also don't care for the focus of the story on gods, immortals, and the most powerful mortals; However, both these "complaints" are relatively minor when you take everything--so far--as a whole.

I intend to keep reading.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I mean...the whole point of the series are the themes you have some issues with. I hope it's not something that will turn you off of the series but it certainly doesn't get any lighter on those themes

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Don't worry: enough characters are introspective nihilists that the prolific magic and powerful beings seem to fade a little.

Plus, there are so many bad assess traipsing around it levels things somewhat.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Levitate posted:

I mean...the whole point of the series are the themes you have some issues with. I hope it's not something that will turn you off of the series but it certainly doesn't get any lighter on those themes

Like I said, I'm actually okay with it because of the quality of what I've gotten so far. My only problem with those things is sort of an abstract one. It's just not usually what I enjoy.

If I started reading a so-so author, or even an above average one, in the same vein I wouldn't have made it more than a quarter of the way through the first book.

Doesn't mean an author cannot convince me, or I can't enjoy such books. It's just they have to raise the bar pretty high as far as their writing goes. As of now, Erikson hasn't disappointed.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 2, 2014

Opal
May 10, 2005

Wow, this could end up owning quite a lot.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
Okay, does anyone find it odd that Shadow Throne has only been around 10 years, and consists of two gods that are merely ascendant companions of the emperor, yet in that 10 years there is already a massive and elaborate mythology?

Not to mention a church where one of the main characters--a bridge burner none the less--is a fallen priest. Plus this church, having been around 10 years, has apparently been around long enough to have an old crazy priest living in a temple that used to have nuns, but has now been abandoned.

Am I missing something here or is there a bit of a continuity issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

ZombieLenin posted:

Okay, does anyone find it odd that Shadow Throne has only been around 10 years, and consists of two gods that are merely ascendant companions of the emperor, yet in that 10 years there is already a massive and elaborate mythology?

Not to mention a church where one of the main characters--a bridge burner none the less--is a fallen priest. Plus this church, having been around 10 years, has apparently been around long enough to have an old crazy priest living in a temple that used to have nuns, but has now been abandoned.

Am I missing something here or is there a bit of a continuity issue?

Nope. There was a throne in search of an arse to sit on it.