Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

There is a group of local dorkroomers that meet up at a bar at the end of that block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Statue Square, Hong Kong by alkanphel, on Flickr

Ark
Aug 20, 2000

Musket posted:

There is a group of local dorkroomers that meet up at a bar at the end of that block.

Unfortunately I'm but a visitor to your wonderful city.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Hey I'm new. Sorry if the latter photos violate the 'back of the head' rule.

Setting up by dshenphotos, on Flickr

Practice by dshenphotos, on Flickr

Single Player by dshenphotos, on Flickr

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

hi liter posted:

Hey I'm new. Sorry if the latter photos violate the 'back of the head' rule.

That reminds me, I should change the thread title.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Real talk time. The reason some people are such cunts about "street photography" is that photos of someone's back when they are doing nothing interesting, in a boring setting with a cluttered background are just poo poo photos. Just because you took them on the street or because they are candid doesn't make them less poo poo. If you convert a poo poo digital photo to black and white it becomes an even shittier photo.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Adding to that: be ruthless when editing down your photos; they either work or they don't (they probably don't!). Nothing is going to force you to take better shots if you're satisfied with the mediocre ones.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 28, 2014

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

try it with a lime posted:

Adding to that: be ruthless when editing down your photos; they either work or they don't (they probably don't!). Nothing is going to force you to take better shots if you're satisfied with the mediocre ones.

Along these lines, at MOST I will use 15% of what I capture. Less than 10% is very normal. Something Minor can ruin an otherwise great photo and be gone a tenth of a second later.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

15% is still very high too.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

The thing about your best work is that no matter who you are, there isn't a lot of it.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

The thing about your best work is that no matter who you are, there isn't a lot of it.

And you're always criticizing yourself. "I could do this better, I have to remember this for next time, why did I process this one like that?"

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I took close to 10,000 photos in hong kong and japan and I like maybe 6 of them.

0.06% success rate is pretty high for me

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Wild EEPROM posted:

I took close to 10,000 photos in hong kong and japan and I like maybe 6 of them.

0.06% success rate is pretty high for me

You're your own worst critic.

Keep thinking that until you can loosen up your constraints enough to share more.

Don't be afraid of others criticism. Remember, it's their opinion and you're looking for the constructive ones. The ones that will help you get better. Ignore the jibes and put downs. Remember the helpful ones.

Spend some time looking at other's photos, that are in your style format. Compare them.

When you are comfortable enough with your own work, you'll share more as well.

:)

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

No, he's his own best critic. Understanding that no one wants to sort through a pile of O.K. anything isn't a weakness.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

No, he's his own best critic. Understanding that no one wants to sort through a pile of O.K. anything isn't a weakness.

Your definition of OK is someone else's, possibly a jobs, version of perfection. It can also be their version of poo poo.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I posted only 19 photos from a trip I took last month where I made roughly 400 shots. I already regret posting a few of them in hindsight. :suicide:

The weirdest thing is when you get more favs on photos that you aren't the most proud of. :suicide:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

BANME.sh posted:

The weirdest thing is when you get more favs on photos that you aren't the most proud of. :suicide:

Nah that's common, everyone has different tastes.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
gently caress Taste.

Kelly's, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
20140630 SellingFlowers_ by MedievalMedic, on Flickr

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Where Are You? by RottenCookies, on Flickr

I would've really liked to try and get this shot at 1/30 or 1/20 of a second instead of 1/50, just to show everyone moving around this guy a bit more. I had no tripod and couldn't keep still enough to get something acceptable. I'd also wish I could've gotten some separation between the man and the background. Still, I like it.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

yeah its a real shame you didn't get a better photo of a man talking on the phone in a train station, more background separation would have saved it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

deaders posted:

yeah its a real shame you didn't get a better photo of a man talking on the phone in a train station, more background separation would have saved it

I think ice burns ought to be required for every photo posted here.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

deaders posted:

Yeah, I just don't think he stands out enough. But I literally think a better photo of this man is not possible.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 1, 2014

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

deaders posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Not a Taste Maker.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Rotten Cookies posted:

Yeah, I just don't think he stands out enough. But I literally think a better photo of this man is not possible.

Eh, better separation, and if he had taken two steps to his right and framed the man in the natural frame of the doorway to the tracks.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
This thread should be sponsored by VSCO.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Musket posted:

This thread should be sponsored by VSCO.

Or Sysco that way we would at least get some chicken nuggets up in this piece.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

My bad, nice capture!!

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

deaders posted:

My bad, nice capture!!

Dont backpedal. Its crass. If you disliked it, you disliked it.

murp
May 30, 2007
Street Photography:

DSC_0367 by Dingus Falcon, on Flickr

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

murp posted:

Street Photography:

They should make this the forums background for the comix section, here.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

murp posted:

Street Photography:

Well, it certainly provokes an emotion. :D

Musket posted:

They should make this the forums background for the comix section, here.

:agreed:

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

Musket posted:

gently caress Taste.

Sounds delicious.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
A good/hilarious study:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599881&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=64#post431662002

feigning interest fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 3, 2014

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Street photography: bringing people together.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Street Photography: I had a gun.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Lan Su Chinese Garden, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Who'll stop the rain?

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 8, 2014

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
I like rainy day photos. Everything looks better wet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Suicide Watch posted:

Who'll stop the rain?

Not the cops, clouds are white.