Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
edit: forums fuckery

Is there a condensed changelog somewhere for the planned features in the new version? Looking at the development page just shows a few adventure mode changes and I'm assuming Toady hasn't spent two years working on that alone.

Catts fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Catts posted:

edit: forums fuckery

Is there a condensed changelog somewhere for the planned features in the new version? Looking at the development page just shows a few adventure mode changes and I'm assuming Toady hasn't spent two years working on that alone.

Here you are, sir.

EDIT: There seems to be a lot of penises in there.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

markus_cz posted:

Here you are, sir.

Someone is fixing it now.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Let me try:
  • 3D trees and other plant fuckery including fruit and flowers
  • Extra combat features like degrees of fight seriousness, combat stances and redone reaction stuff
  • Climbing and jumping
  • Pretty much redone dwarf AI with first traces of job priority management
  • Lots more personality crap in the citizen description screen
  • Actual existing sites for the non-human races including three varieties of dwarf sites
  • More diplomacy and squabbling and inheritance poo poo
  • An MGS-style stealth system instead of the Baldur's Gate type cloak of darkness

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

scamtank posted:

Let me try:
  • Climbing and jumping

Is that just adventure mode, or will invaders start climbing over walls and stuff?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

• The world keeps running while you're in fortress mode
  • You can abandon a fortress and it will keep running while you do something else (like adventuring or running another fortress)

Those two right there are huge when it comes to creating a consistent long-term game. We can now run succession worlds rather than succession fortresses, where the things a goon does in one fort affect what happens in a later fort, and an adventure LP can then explore those living sites.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Yeah, forgot the biggest ones. Oops.

Subjunctive posted:

Is that just adventure mode, or will invaders start climbing over walls and stuff?

To an extent, yeah. We do know that you can't climb smooth stone/brick walls, but the AI goblins might not overstrain themselves trying to leap across big moats. Toady has kept pretty mum about actual irl details.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
My bet is that it'll be like flying. If you can reach somewhere by foot, regardless of how far and unconnected, then they'll be able to jump and climb in order to reach you faster.

If jumping and climbing DO ignore the connectivity map, I'll be flabbergasted and amazed and it will mean that he has everything he needs for multitile creature pathfinding.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I wonder if the (on-site) forestry becomes infeasible. I mean the real life trees take like 50 years to grow.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Does anyone know about the underground "trees"? Will they still be single tile? Will I still be able to clear out entire soil layers after breaching the caverns for unlimited wood?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Oh, no. We got huge-rear end mushrooms. I don't have a reason to believe he's torn out the spore propagation thing, either.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Maybe we'll be able to use tallow to grease walls so that they're hard to climb. And then set them on fire.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Does anyone recall which version of the game Gemclod was made in? I just finished reading the LP and now I want to wander around the ruins in adventure mode.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

All I really have to say at this point.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

markus_cz posted:

Here you are, sir.

Much obliged :)

That seems like mostly adventure mode changes though, which is a bit saddening.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Adventure mode changes and the ability to non-destructively retire fortresses, which is a pretty loving major change to dwarf mode all by itself.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Mister Bates posted:

Does anyone recall which version of the game Gemclod was made in? I just finished reading the LP and now I want to wander around the ruins in adventure mode.

I'm not positive but it started in 2010 so I'll assume DF2010.

If you aren't playing with the GemClod SoundSense pack I have no idea what you are doing http://gemclod.goondorfs.net/Update%20293/index.html should be the correct link. You will eventually want to turn most of the songs with singing off, they are fun but they get a bit headache-y after several days of playing.

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
I hope someday we see the ability to perform some fortress mode functions in adventure mode. I'd love to be able to play an adventurer, take some jobs, kill some bandits, buy an axe and some food, head into the woods, cut down some trees, construct a carpentry, build a little house, mine out a basement, etc.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Tirius posted:

I hope someday we see the ability to perform some fortress mode functions in adventure mode. I'd love to be able to play an adventurer, take some jobs, kill some bandits, buy an axe and some food, head into the woods, cut down some trees, construct a carpentry, build a little house, mine out a basement, etc.

Look up "advfort"

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
That is on the features list for future development. The ability for your adventuring party to become its own entity is a step in that direction.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If I could switch to adventure mode, construct a couple of walls without standing right the gently caress where I'm building them, and switch back, that would be super.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Mister Bates posted:

Doesn't the final save file include the whole game? (I haven't checked.)
Anyway, it should work in any current version of DF. Save compatibility hasn't been broken recently so just grab the newest version. As long as you're not trying it in the version that will come out next week, it should be fine.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Are you positive? I thought that version 34 hosed everything big time.

Since Gemclod went on the air on September 19th in '10, the tippy-toppy latest version it could've possibly been is v0.31.13, which came out 4 days prior (and 4 days before v0.31.14, oddly enough). The hospitals were notably screwed at this time.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
Is there any way to change the text highlight colors for some of the menus? I'm using the Lazy Newb pack for the first time and with Mayday installed it's nearly impossible to see what is actually highlighted in any given menu.

For example:

Catts fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jul 2, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

You could try making the color white more stark instead of the wallowy natural white meant to relax your eyes. Open up \data\init\colors.txt and crank up all the RGB values of white to 255, the default.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

If I could switch to adventure mode, construct a couple of walls without standing right the gently caress where I'm building them, and switch back, that would be super.

DF v.45.01.9.4c Update Minecarter: San Fortsisco

- You can now take control of any [INTELLIGENT] entity that is a member of your fortress at any time. You can jump from overview to dorf to dorf and back all with a simple key.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jul 2, 2014

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004

scamtank posted:

Are you positive? I thought that version 34 hosed everything big time.

Since Gemclod went on the air on September 19th in '10, the tippy-toppy latest version it could've possibly been is v0.31.13, which came out 4 days prior (and 4 days before v0.31.14, oddly enough). The hospitals were notably screwed at this time.

Looking back through my Gemclod collection I found that all of the saves I was able to get my hands on do, indeed, include the entire game. Apparently we didn't stick to one version: the earliest save I've got is after Leperfish's turn, which I saved on October 14th, 2010, and the release notes show version 0.31.14, while the last one is titled "Gemclod End", from March 23rd 2011, which is listed as 0.31.20/21. Can't remember why Toady listed the version like that, I assume there was a quick second release that day to fix some showstopping bug.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Honestly, I'm really happy to see a succession fort that doesn't have to end with it's complete annihilation. I mean, not that complete annihilation is bad, but a change would be nice now and then!

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

scamtank posted:

You could try making the color white more stark instead of the wallowy natural white meant to relax your eyes. Open up \data\init\colors.txt and crank up all the RGB values of white to 255, the default.

This worked pretty nicely, thank you.

I'm still hoping for a UI overhaul in my lifetime :unsmith:

Pozzo
Nov 4, 2009

What is like posting in a thread?
A Ballista, that's what!
Am I going to do this again? Am I really going to do this again?

Jesus how does all this fucken bbcode work again

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
So it looks like my new succession fort will be in the 2014 version. Now the question is do I start out on the buggy first relase or wait a month for bug fixes?

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Danny Glands posted:

So it looks like my new succession fort will be in the 2014 version. Now the question is do I start out on the buggy first relase or wait a month for bug fixes?

You already know the answer to this one, and it's the answer that provides comedy, at the expense of possibly losing savefiles.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is there a way to filter stockpile permissions based on decorated or not?

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.
I've been playing this game for about half a year but I haven't played adventure mode yet. With the new update so close to being out is it worth playing it or just waiting to get to enjoy all the new bugs features?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Adventure Mode is pretty much always going to be a clusterfuck, so I doubt that waiting will change much.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

scamtank posted:

That'd be a pretty enormous oversight, but I admit I've never once thought how it would work in fortress-time. I'll have to wade through some FotF posts.

e: There we go:

Actually on this note, do you happen to know if there's an upper limit to the size trees can grow? It'd be pretty neat to arrive at Yggdrasil and chop it down just to upset the Elves, or indeed to play like Elves and live in the tree's boughs and branches and hollowed-out trunk.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
My guess; pathfinding madness where dwarves get stuck in loops, and keep trying to take paths that wind up breaking all their bones, causing other dwarves to fall down whatever chasm they tried to climb in order to claim the precious socks.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Dwarfs in the same tile add their body temperature together, if two dwarfs are sick with fevers and enter the same tile they ignite.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Sieging goblins issuing crafting mandates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

True or false: Thistleknot is mentally ill.