Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

catlord posted:

I don't think Pink Floyd's The Wall is really an endorsement of homeschooling.

Hey, nobody's gonna control my kid's thoughts but ME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

quote:

It can't possibly be important to get kids used to being in large groups of people or public speaking or something.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Look, why can't you just be rich enough to be able to have at least one parent stay home to teach and also that same parent be educated enough to actually be able to teach the subjects?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

LoveMeDead posted:

My oldest was homeschooled. He is medically diagnosed Aspergers and I thought it would be best. I dropped out of several homeschooling groups because of people like that. We didn't use any sort of traditional schooling program and really did "unschool". For us that meant weekly field trips, projects about things he was interested in, and his dad and I were very involved. It was exhausting.

He is 22 now and passed the GED with the highest score in the area without having the prep course. He's currently researching horticulture and sustainable agriculture college programs trying to decide what to do next. Most people who meet him, including a woman who teaches special education in high school, don't know he has Asperger's.

The other two kids went to school because they are better off there.

Kudos to you. That's impressive.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

catlord posted:

I don't think Pink Floyd's The Wall is really an endorsement of homeschooling.

"Hey teacher, leave those kids alone"

:v:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

FirstAidKite posted:

:rolleyes: Shared by a friend of mine.

I got the Spanish version of this, posted by hardcore pro-life Catholic, who calls the girls she doesn't like fat whores,while she being a fatty as well takes Myspace-angle photos showing her enormous boob-rack. :v: Hypocrisy is awesome!

Edit: It also came with the photo of a still-born fetus being held by a doctor...because,you know, fetuses that are aborted before the first month are the size of a man's hand.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

kazil posted:

Look, why can't you just be rich enough to be able to have at least one parent stay home to teach and also that same parent be educated enough to actually be able to teach the subjects?

With the acquaintance of mine who homeschools, while her husband has some sort of job that he's away for months at a time, I guess they're bringing in enough to pay bills. But there's been more than a few times where they've been hurting foodwise and since they live out in the far boonies, times where they couldn't get water brought in like usual. As much as at times I'd like to ask into it more, I can't think of a non-tacky way to even broach the subject.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Henchman of Santa posted:

My Facebook is usually a smug liberal echo chamber but some dipshit just posted this unironically, from the page "AMERICAN - STRONG!" with the caption

You might think this some grumpy old relative, but no, it's a 23-year-old who just graduated from my small liberal arts college. I give absolutely zero shits about this person so I responded:

We'll see where it goes. a few weeks ago he posted an article criticizing #YesAllWomen and praised one of his dumb high school buddies who actually said "what if one of those women had just given Elliot Rodger the time of day?" He deleted the post soon after because the comments (from sane people) got "too inflammatory."

Did this person vote for Romney in 2012? Cuz yeah....

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

1stGear posted:

It can't possibly be important to get kids used to being in large groups of people or public speaking or something.

Hey, that quote was by a doctor and had a pretty border with a flower on it. If that isn't an indicator of the pure truth I don't know what is.

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

Yeah, I remember this. The mother, overcome by the doctor's argument, changed her mind and decided not to terminate the pregnancy. Two weeks later, she received a letter that her husband had been killed by an improvised explosive device during his tour of duty in Iraq, and this strengthened her resolve to be a good mother to both children. Tragically, four months after that, she was woken in the middle of the night by crippling, stabbing pain in her abdomen: she was in premature labor. She was rushed to the nearest hospital, but she began to hemorrhage in the ambulance, and despite the best efforts of the paramedics she did not survive. Needless to say, the fetus miscarried and died with its mother.

Her surviving son was left an orphan. Lacking any family, he was shuttled from foster home to foster home, where he grew up with few positive adult role models and surrounded by other troubled youth, many of whom had records in the juvenile justice system. As he entered adolescence, he developed a drug habit, and soon resorted to crime, burglarizing houses when he had no other way of scoring a fix.

One night, he entered a home he thought was empty, but the resident, an old man, woke up and discovered him. The old man was able to dial 911, but in his panic the teenager hit the old man with a lamp, killing him instantly. He tried to flee, but he was seen by an arriving police officer, who began pursuit. The teen ran and the officer gave chase, ultimately cornering him. In the officer's deposition, she swore she thought the teen was reaching for a weapon. He was unarmed, but the fact remains that he died in an alley with three bullets in his torso, at the age of 16.

No one ever knew that the old man, dead in a botched burglary, was the very same doctor who had convinced the boy's mother not to terminate the pregnancy of his sibling.

And on a lighter note, add two cups of white rum and serve in a rocks glass over ice. Garnish with a pineapple slice and a maraschino cherry.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

They left out the apostrophe in "Nature's".

Nice grammar, unschoolers.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

into the void posted:

Also, isn't there alot of controversy in the scientific community as to how IUDs and the lack work? And they are actually starting to come down on the side that it doesn't actually prevent a fertilized egg from implanting.

Fake edit: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/03/heres-why-hobby-lobby-thinks-iuds-are-like-abortions/284382/
Apparently it varies and we generally don't know, but for the most part it kills sperm.

IUDs wait for a convoy of sperm to come by and then detonate a series of blasts starting at the lead.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

dear lord, people I know who have been screaming for years "KEEP GUBBERMINT OUTTA MAH HEALTH CARE, IT'S A PERSONAL DECISON" are applauding loudly and saying "ha ha it's perfectly fine for your boss to make health care decisons for you, deal with it libtards :smug:" left and right. How to react? Laugh? Cry? Matter-of-factly inform them that they are obsequious capitalist peons who will never get scraps from the table no matter how hard they lick their masters' boots?

Elliotw2 posted:

Come on, you know the baby is fully formed as soon as conception happens. You should also know that abortions are preformed by jamming a stick blender up there and making a baby smoothie.

Is there anything better on a hot summer day?

quote:

It's true. Last time I got the flu, I drank this six times a day for a week and my flu symptoms disappeared!

Rev. Bleech_ has a new favorite as of 03:40 on Jul 2, 2014

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Retail Slave posted:

Did this person vote for Romney in 2012? Cuz yeah....

Almost assuredly. After I spent a few comments arguing with a fascist who said we should have bombed Bowe Bergdahl he came in and was like "yeah, it's silly that it would be the only requirement, but still!"

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

My Facebook is usually a smug liberal echo chamber but some dipshit just posted this unironically, from the page "AMERICAN - STRONG!" with the caption

So that's why we lost the World Wars! Wilson and FDR never served in the military. Neither did Lincoln, no wonder the Confederacy won...

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I should have done some basic research on that for the sake of :smug: but now it would be too late. The guy who was doing all the arguing was an Italian frat guy who I've heard from multiple sources is crazy racist and just terrible to be around. I didn't feel like bothering.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
This just popped up

Birth control = constant abortions :downs:

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

CeramicPig posted:

This just popped up

But if we don't give contraceptives to the Hoppy Lobby, how will we control the bunny population?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

CeramicPig posted:

This just popped up

I'll never understand why people think I give the smallest gently caress about what they think about subjects such as those. Also, sounds like we have a bunch of MASS MURDERERS in America!

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
It's amazing how passionate people can be about abortion yet as soon as a child is born the same people completely turn their back on all involved. If you want people not to have abortions then really you need to also support strong social safety nets for those that don't.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Nibbles141 posted:

It's amazing how passionate people can be about abortion yet as soon as a child is born the same people completely turn their back on all involved. If you want people not to have abortions then really you need to also support strong social safety nets for those that don't.

You are the first person to make this observation, congratulations!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Byzantine posted:

So that's why we lost the World Wars! Wilson and FDR never served in the military. Neither did Lincoln, no wonder the Confederacy won...

Well, see, I've been reading Starship Troopers, and...

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Zeether posted:

And then his wife left him, so he wrote a song about wanting her back.

In which he implies that he is going to murder her if she doesn't come back. "Get her back" can be interpreted in multiple ways.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Nibbles141 posted:

Because the Bible says sex is disgusting, and if you're doing it for fun, you should be punished for life have to deal with the consequences without any handouts (even if Jesus liked to help people who were suffering, we'll just ignore that). Especially if you're a woman because all your body is meant for is a vessel to be used for procreation.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

Lobsterpillar posted:

In which he implies that he is going to murder her if she doesn't come back. "Get her back" can be interpreted in multiple ways.

I just read the lyrics and can't find the implied threat. One disturbing thing was the admission that he yelled at her and made her feel small.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

The race war and murdering children discussion makes these comments read like they're from Free Republic.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Flaskraven posted:

I just read the lyrics and can't find the implied threat. One disturbing thing was the admission that he yelled at her and made her feel small.

It's the video. It features him singing, sometimes bloodied up, with a bunch of shots of random women done up with skull make up and other assorted creepy masks, and acting distressed underwater like they're drowning, until they somehow accept him and start groping him.

Even if there's no intentional undertones of domestic violence and revenge, is having a bunch of naked models acting distressed, dressing like demons, and eventually groping your naked body the best way to win your wife back when she lost faith in you?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I like how in the post where he links the article, he feigns empathy by lamenting the humanitarian crisis in Mexico... only to nod along to a guy saying "We should kill anyone trying to enter the USA illegally :)" a second later. Well that charade lasted all of 5 seconds :v:.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Picnic Princess posted:

It's the video. It features him singing, sometimes bloodied up, with a bunch of shots of random women done up with skull make up and other assorted creepy masks, and acting distressed underwater like they're drowning, until they somehow accept him and start groping him.

Even if there's no intentional undertones of domestic violence and revenge, is having a bunch of naked models acting distressed, dressing like demons, and eventually groping your naked body the best way to win your wife back when she lost faith in you?

And the video ends with 'This is just the beginning...'

E: oh and also it implies she left him because he has a drinking problem

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
And it sort of frames her as being at fault with the texts implying he's just some sad man who misses his wife while she's some ice queen who keeps rejecting him...sounds familiar.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I don't have it handy, but there's a thing about what other countries do when someone enters that country illegally. Like Iran, Afghanistan, Korea, China, etc (usually death, sometime life in prison). Then says the US gives all this government help to illegals.

It always amuses me because it's usually posted by hard right people who hate Muslims & Communism, yet all the countries listed are one or the other.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Orgophlax posted:

I don't have it handy, but there's a thing about what other countries do when someone enters that country illegally. Like Iran, Afghanistan, Korea, China, etc (usually death, sometime life in prison). Then says the US gives all this government help to illegals.

It always amuses me because it's usually posted by hard right people who hate Muslims & Communism, yet all the countries listed are one or the other.

Remember a while back when Fox News was going on about how wonderful and strong Putin looks while Obama is a wimp? Some people will sell out every and any belief they have in order to spread cynicism.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
When last we saw this image, it was in the stdh thread and stopped at the first comment, the one with the actual "story". It's metastasized since then.

This time-travel-and-madness person sounds like a real great person to hang around.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I'm glad they got called out on that one. But also people who sit and purposefully take up more than their seat on public transit are poo poo too.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

kinmik posted:

This time-travel-and-madness person sounds like a real great person to hang around.

I'm not sure which person you're referring to?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Breaky posted:

I'm glad they got called out on that one. But also people who sit and purposefully take up more than their seat on public transit are poo poo too.

Yeah, if there are other people who want to sit there. If someone has their legs splayed out and their bag on the seat next to them while people are standing, or while people are walking around trying to find an empty seat, that's a dick move. If it's a three quarters empty subway train and there's plenty of empty seats not next to anyone, then who gives a poo poo?

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Orgophlax posted:

I'm not sure which person you're referring to?
The second to last person pointing out :biotruths:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

vyelkin posted:

Yeah, if there are other people who want to sit there. If someone has their legs splayed out and their bag on the seat next to them while people are standing, or while people are walking around trying to find an empty seat, that's a dick move. If it's a three quarters empty subway train and there's plenty of empty seats not next to anyone, then who gives a poo poo?

Oh, yeah of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

vyelkin posted:

then who gives a poo poo?

Feminazis.

• Locked thread