Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

If we could have a forum-wide pact to not bring this incident up ever again that would be super appreciated. The ball-shrink factor from just being reminded of it is crippling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Memento posted:

If we could have a forum-wide pact to not bring this incident up ever again that would be super appreciated. The ball-shrink factor from just being reminded of it is crippling.
Keep us posted on the status of your balls

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

I remember watching this on TV! Jesus christ, what a stupid spot. You just know Russo told him to do that.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I just thought no one ever used the leg drop because it was lame as hell.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I don't think anyone uses it in WWE today because it is one of Undertaker's signature spots.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Probably more to do with it being Hogan's signature spot. And don't Big Show and Kane drop the leg every now and then?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Rapid/sliding leg drops are hella cool, though.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I remember watching this on TV! Jesus christ, what a stupid spot. You just know Russo told him to do that.

Actually I doubt this. I don't think Russo gave two shits about what the wrestler did in-ring, as long as they did his crazy swerve finishes.

This was just a young guy thinking he'd get himself over.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

triplexpac posted:

Actually I doubt this. I don't think Russo gave two shits about what the wrestler did in-ring, as long as they did his crazy swerve finishes.

This was just a young guy thinking he'd get himself over.

They were actually talking about this exact spot on WOR last week. All the wrestlers were telling him not to do the spot but Johnny insisted on it.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

LvK posted:

Rapid/sliding leg drops are hella cool, though.
Wonder if Waltman can do them anymore after he tore his own rear end...

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Perigryn posted:

Wonder if Waltman can do them anymore after he tore his own rear end...

What if Hulk had used the Bronco Buster instead of the Atomic Leg Drop?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I've been thinking about the Hulk Hogan raft in the thread title. Was it only a Hulk Hogan Raft? Did they make a Macho Man raft? A DDP raft? a Wolfpac raft? etc.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

BrigadierSensible posted:

I've been thinking about the Hulk Hogan raft in the thread title. Was it only a Hulk Hogan Raft? Did they make a Macho Man raft? A DDP raft? a Wolfpac raft? etc.

Perhaps they were testing the waters, to see how it would sell.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Writer Cath posted:

Perhaps they were testing the waters, to see how it would sell.
But they didn't even sell it. They gave it away to people who ordered a terrible PPV and also put forth the effort to send in a card asking for one.

This is why we haven't tracked one down yet.

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions

LividLiquid posted:

But they didn't even sell it. They gave it away to people who ordered a terrible PPV and also put forth the effort to send in a card asking for one.

I think you missed what he was doing there.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BrigadierSensible posted:

It was probably only a Hogan raft made in a rush of Hogan merchandise after the face turn in the summer of 99, and then left without a market after Russo came in. There's so much weird WCW (and wrestling in general) merchandise that I don't doubt there may have been plans for more. We got Outsider pendants after all.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

LividLiquid posted:

It's you, you are Mike Tenay.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Or I'm Dave Meltzer no-selling a bad joke. :colbert:

I'm Mike Tenay. :(

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

At least you aren't Tony Schiavone.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

RZApublican posted:

Hey, one of them is a AAA baseball radio announcer in Georgia and the other is the announcer for TNA.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

RZApublican posted:

Please don't diss Schiavone in the WCW thread.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I will have you all know that LividLiquid is the greatest poster in the history of our forum.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
They test-marketed an NWO Wolfpac but pretty much everyone who tried to turn onto their back on the Wolfpac raft ended up in a bodybag.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Great White Hope posted:

I will have you all know that LividLiquid is the greatest poster in the history of our forum.

"Double L" LividLiquid

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Perhaps we need to trace whoever floated the initial raft idea

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

someone tell me which high school the guy behind the raft went to

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'm going rafting today and wish I could show my allegiance to Hulkamania. :(

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

oatgan posted:

well i've narrowed it down to three, and

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

oatgan posted:

woah, calm down, I was just trying to investigate local rafts and thought this would be a cool thing to find out.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Hulk Hogan had a raft. And I don't know how to accept that.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
As much as the Hulk Hogan raft has amused me, I somehow missed that it was from 1999. I had figured it was just some piece of lovely merch from 1995, but the fact that it's from 99 makes it even funnier.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oatgan posted:

Venice.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Cromulent posted:

As much as the Hulk Hogan raft has amused me, I somehow missed that it was from 1999. I had figured it was just some piece of lovely merch from 1995, but the fact that it's from 99 makes it even funnier.

He turned back to Hulk Hogan in late 1999, and by late Spring 2000, they were already trying to get a Hollywood Hogan nostalgia pop. It's pretty funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqxvegZKqjA

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

Zack_Gochuck posted:

He turned back to Hulk Hogan in late 1999, and by late Spring 2000, they were already trying to get a Hollywood Hogan nostalgia pop. It's pretty funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqxvegZKqjA

The german version of WCW added sound effects for the punches? This is amazing.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

ThePariah posted:

The german version of WCW added sound effects for the punches? This is amazing.

Not that it matters but this is dutch from the belgian broadcasts and i'm nostalgia-ing all over the place.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
wait, you got WCW with dutch commentary? we got english!

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

IndustrialApe posted:

wait, you got WCW with dutch commentary? we got english!

Yeah on euh, filmnet/canal+ every Wednesday at 13 then a few years later on Kanaal2 at like 23 at night. It was amazing though, dudes kayfabed but they commented on every fuckup like it was an actual gently caress up. It was a really weird mix, but super enjoyable commentary. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxdfuBnKOOU&t=113s bernard van damme was one of the dudes doing commentary and he was amazing.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
I used to watch WCW and the WWF in German, on DSF, but I know other German channels showed wrestling, too. DSF even had a weekly show where they presented ECW, Smokey Mountain, Japan, along with WCW and the WWF, and they had a decent commentary team - even had a heel commentator who was an nWo supporter. Once DSF stopped with regular Raw is War episodes and PPVs, I lost my WWF fix. And it was all with German commentary, it wasn't until recent years that I can finally watch it, online, with original commentary.

WCW was shown on TNT Europe, which would start at 9PM, after Cartoon Network ended for the day. Nitro was on Fridays. So, I never had that actual Monday Night Wars experience.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tonight's Tuesday Nitro is the final ever Clash of the Champions so come check it out in 20:

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/badmoviesworsewrestling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MassRafTer posted:

Future wife!

That Countdown where they're talking about Flair For The Gold and Flair goes "Fifi...I'm dating her now, you know." is the greatest loving thing.