Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

You're really shooting for a AAA gritty prequel, aren't you.

Pokemon: Revelations

Pokemon: A Dark Beginning

Really, I just wish the pokemon world had more honest to goodness world-building. A culture that lives surrounded by terrifying animals and bastions of elemental energy, yet manages to keep a smile on its face should, by all rights, be more interesting than "Everything's the same as IRL, except there's a tower filled with Bellsprout cultists a few towns over."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Not gonna lie, those games would probably be terrible but I would play the hell out of them.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think that second one is an actual fanfiction I read years ago. It was quite long and a massive trainwreck, also abandoned. I think that the idea was that the legendaries are so powerful because they are pokemon that were fused with their trainers by the gods, chosen for being particularly strong(Hohou was a girl fused with her prize Fearow, which I guess I can see).

The plot is that since becoming pokemon master the gods fused Ash with his Pikachu but it went wrong because Ash wasn't ready for the process (It was supposed to be Gary). Upon fusion Pikachus fear of pokeballs comes to the for, Ash gets psychic powers and basically becomes grimdark electric-type Mewtwo, making pokemon abandon their trainers and go to work for him.

I guess what I am saying is it is a fabulous trainwreck and well worth the time.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

That sounds like garbage; Ash and Gary instead of Red and Blue? Atrocious.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

I think that second one is an actual fanfiction I read years ago. It was quite long and a massive trainwreck, also abandoned. I think that the idea was that the legendaries are so powerful because they are pokemon that were fused with their trainers by the gods, chosen for being particularly strong(Hohou was a girl fused with her prize Fearow, which I guess I can see).

The plot is that since becoming pokemon master the gods fused Ash with his Pikachu but it went wrong because Ash wasn't ready for the process (It was supposed to be Gary). Upon fusion Pikachus fear of pokeballs comes to the for, Ash gets psychic powers and basically becomes grimdark electric-type Mewtwo, making pokemon abandon their trainers and go to work for him.

I guess what I am saying is it is a fabulous trainwreck and well worth the time.

That sounds like the stupidest thing in the world and I would very much like to read it.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

Please find it, and please let us laugh at it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I misremembered the title, but I found it: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/422604/1/Dark-Chronicles

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Discendo Vox posted:

Pokemon Sepia and Monochrome.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Mr. Maltose posted:

A Pokemon game set in Victorian England.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I misremembered the title, but I found it
The chronicles are always dark. Why can't we have some light, happy chronicles for once?

Mr. Maltose posted:

Actual romhack titles, I'm pretty sure.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Pokemon Gameboy Green and Pokemon Gameboy Pocket Grey

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Pokemon Next- Gen comes in Brown and Grey versions. The main difference is whether the plot twist at the end of the single player campaign is that you killed your daughter or your girlfriend.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Speaking of hypothetical Pokemon games. I just discovered Pokemon Sage. It's got some good sprite-work and has 200 of its own Pokemon.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The only mystery I want answered in Pokémon is why Mewtwo is before Mew in the Pokédex.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Sage seems to have a decent amount of good ideas. I like how the starting routes are snowy for a change, so that Ice types come in sooner than like the very end of the game.

It just sort of bothers me how not a lot of the new pokemon have interesting new type combinations, a lot of those are things we've seen before. Still a lot of them are nicely designed, and I like how they all fit in with the South American thematic. I especially like the Grass/Fire pepper rabbits ^.^

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

BattleCattle posted:

Really, I just wish the pokemon world had more honest to goodness world-building. A culture that lives surrounded by terrifying animals and bastions of elemental energy, yet manages to keep a smile on its face should, by all rights, be more interesting than "Everything's the same as IRL, except there's a tower filled with Bellsprout cultists a few towns over."

I never thought about it, but you have a very good point. This is something that needs to be made.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

*"No one was left who could remember how it had happened,
how the world had fallen under darkness.
At least no one who would do anything.
No one who would oppose Team Rocket.
No one who would challenge their power,
or so Giovanni believed...

Twenty floors beneath the dark streets of Pallet Town, Professor Oak lived in a run down laboratory.
An eccentric and brilliant man,
Oak was a scholar, a researcher, a man of ideas.
Ideas forbidden in Rocket's society.
The society for which he worked.
The society in which he lived.
The society that he would set free.
And so Oak worked, far into the night, when the watchful eyes of Rocket's Trainers weren't upon him.
He'd set his skillful hands to the task of creating a person to bring about a change, to create a trainer to bring freedom, to create a boy to save the world.
Ten years oak taught and on a warm day in the year 1996, Gary Oak was born.
A perfect boy, an unbeatable trainer, hell-bent on destroying every evil standing between man and freedom, raised for one purpose, to destroy Rocket's army of evil trainers. Ready, willing, prepared to fight.

The routes, the arteries of Kanto, run with bodies. Crowding together, they flow out of Saffron City, toward a superstructure at the heart of town. A tower. A fortress. Glancing at it the facade resembles the face of a skeleton. Smoke pours from the stacks high above the outer wall. The gates are open. A figure stands in the light before the entrance. Perfectly still, he waits. The "pop" of Pokeballs destroys the silence. One by one the Pokemon step forward, step into the light.

Scyther
Arbok
Electrode
Weezing
Meowth
Globat
Gary

Meowth: Attack!

The violence is surreal. Battle cries and bursts of attacks, the sound is deafening. For most, the reaction is automatic. Hands cover ears. Mothers reach to cover eyes of terrified children. The blows are quick and precise. This is Gary Oak. Dealing black-outs without remorse, without hesitation, and still, the fight is unbalanced. One against so many. Gary Oak fights without fear of defeat, although it is inevitable. The men keep their distance, straining to see every crushing blow through the smoke that has surrounded the ongoing battle. The din stops abruptly. Unsettlingly.

And as the smoke cleared!
Giovanni rose above the countless trainers remaining. Gary Oak was wounded, low on Pokemon, struggling to remain standing as Giovanni ordered the final attack:
The death of Gary Oak."

*with apologies to The Protomen

Discendo Vox posted:

Pokemon Next- Gen comes in Brown and Grey versions. The main difference is whether the plot twist at the end of the single player campaign is that you killed your daughter or your girlfriend.

No... I know what comes with Pokemon Brown. And it is a far, far worse fate.

e:
(stupid broken images)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

azren fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 1, 2014

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

azren posted:

Awesome Stuff
This reminds me of something...

azren posted:

No... I know what comes with Pokemon Brown. And it is a far, far worse fate.

A broken image! The worst fate of all!

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

The only mystery I want answered in Pokémon is why Mewtwo is before Mew in the Pokédex.

There's no canon explanation for it, but the real-world reason is that Mew was a secret, undocumented Pokemon in the first games because a programmer was able to slip one extra in, almost as a prank, after they removed the debug tools from the code. Even some of the producers were in the dark about Mew's existence. They may be a horribly glitchy mess, but those carts were stuffed to the brim with literally no wiggle room. Wouldn't make sense to have a hole at the end of the Pokedex because that would have players guessing too quickly, so instead Mew was hidden as the number after Mewtwo.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

What they did to Mew to create Mewtwo was just too horrible, so the original scientists made their colleague Oak, who knew a 150th pokemon had been discovered, forget all about it by brainwashing him. Mewtwo had by then escaped into Kanto, so they made Oak believe Mewtwo was the 150th Pokemon instead. So when he programmed the empty Pokedex, he made only room for 150 of them.

But sometimes at night, Oak jolts awake, seeing just a flash of a strange, cat-like pokemon being tortured...

In any case, when Red encounters Mew, the Pokedex has no idea at all what to do with it, so it glitches out and dumps its data in a new 151st spot.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Pyroi posted:

A broken image! The worst fate of all!

Damnit! Let's try this:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Bidoof bidoof.
Bidoof bidoof bidoof bidoof.
Bidoof?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

azren posted:

Damnit! Let's try this:

I never got why people hate on Bidoof so much. It's just that generation's Rattata/Sentret/Zigzagoon and it's hardly the worst design.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Geemer posted:

I never got why people hate on Bidoof so much. It's just that generation's Rattata/Sentret/Zigzagoon and it's hardly the worst design.

It's a good design, but it's got 'doof' in it's name and it looks the part so I guess that's pretty much it v:shobon:v

King Christmas
Oct 17, 2012

I fell out of a plane crash because you need to stop.

I'm going blind.

King Christmas fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 13, 2014

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

BattleCattle posted:

I wonder if people were established in the ecosystem before the introduction of Pokemon. If that's true, they'd have needed incredible infrastructure to survive the influx of deadly, diverse and terrifying bio-weapons eating their food and wrecking their stuff. Maybe Pokeballs were invented to contain them, and the idea of sending children out to catch and train the critters was a half forgotten tradition born of necessity rather than whimsy.

At this point we've figured out how to just live with 'em, so it doesn't matter either way, but it's neat to think about.

I'm imagining pokemon being unleashed on an unsuspecting world much like Kaiju in Pacific Rim. And humanity decides it's not just going to survive, it's going to have fun- or at the very least put a sugar coating on things.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Bidoofs are actually semi-useful because their evolved form can learn every non-flying HM in the game.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Geemer posted:

Maybe because it was the ratatta of the generation that introduced internet trading, so people got tired of seeing offers to trade a freshly caught one for a L100 legendary? :shrug:

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

CrazySalamander posted:

I'm imagining pokemon being unleashed on an unsuspecting world much like Kaiju in Pacific Rim. And humanity decides it's not just going to survive, it's going to have fun- or at the very least put a sugar coating on things.

It might be that Earth's more conventional biology simply could not compete with Pokemon for resources, and went extinct. It may also be that it's been such a long time since that happened, that humanity forgot that Pokemon drove the planet's ecosystem into the ground and established its own, and simply assumes that Pokemon are native to Earth.

Which brings up the question: Where'd Pokemon come from, and what brought them here? Whatever event or entity brought Pokemon here may very well come back at some point.

The age-old tradition of teaching our children to playfight with monsters at such a young age couldn't have been justified without a catastrophe that threatened our existence: The concept is so universal, that it had to have been made to prepare for something.

The world is a much happier place than it used to be, I think. Even the gangs are little more than a sign of our prosperity: As long as the world's Team Rockets are pursuing their dipshit plans, it's a sign that everything's alright.

The day we have to fight for real, the day those dipshit gangs suddenly die like a canary in a mine shaft... It's going to be a bad day.

Indeterminacy
Sep 9, 2011

Excuse me, your Rabbit parts are undetached.

Mordaedil posted:

Once upon a time, before the days when Pokemon roamed the lands freely, there was a pink cat-like creature with an understanding of peoples' intentions and incredible powers of trickery and illusion. This creature could only ever spotted by the most innocent and harmless of children; not the scientists, the elders, the farmers or even the people of the shrine. Whenever anyone with the slightest trace of selfish interest or will to deceive tried to approach it, the creature would recognize these qualities and protect itself by transforming into something more mundane and hiding itself, subtly confusing the onlooker and diverting their attention away.

One day the most carefree and happy little girl that ever lived found herself lost and alone travelling through the tall grass near Lavender Town - she had been out gathering flowers for the shrine and had strayed too far from the path. So as she began to worry that, try though she might, she might never be able to find her way back again, she caught a glimpse of the creature, who was curious about this person in distress that seemed to have no ill will or emotional baggage at all. And it was the most sweet and strange little thing, something that the girl knew was special, magical and, in its own way, kind and warm. The cat creature seemed to smile and mew at her, before encouraging her to follow it as it drifted back towards the town.

The girl was so happy and grateful to the creature for helping her get back home, which seemed then to disappear, leaving only its own contented smile behind.

The creature was not seen again for some time. As for the girl, the truth of her encounter that day was something that stayed with her, as something miraculous and important. And for this she in turn was belittled, even ostracized, by those who were previously her friends and family, for none of them were as pure of heart as she was, and the creature never revealed itself to any other. She turned, as many spurned by the conventions of society and collective moralizing are, to science, becoming the greatest researcher in the biology of plants and creatures alike, and of the rapidly growing taxonomy of an entirely new domain of living thing. Yet for all of her searching and discovering, assembling the most complete listing to date of the varieties of such creatures, she never saw the pink cat-like being she saw that day, for driven as she was by her own search for verification, influenced by the invalidation of her experiences by those she cared about (and those she did not), the creature could not now safely allow itself to be found.

So great became the researcher's desire to show that the creature of her memories could in fact exist, despite all of her best yet unsuccessful attempts to find it, that she turned from theory to practice, and began to experiment with the genetics to show how it would have to be. There was no malice in this, and because she was brilliant, eventually she came to find success and was able to produce an embryo for an entirely new kind of Pokemon. This pink cat-like Pokemon was gifted with the psychic abilities to sense the intentions of others and to perform great feats of trickery and illusion. And so it was that the 150th Pokemon was named MewTwo by its creator, in recognition of the realization of her memories of the original mewing creature.

Upon reaching a conscious state, this Pokemon, not existing in nature with the ability to isolate itself from human contact, found itself surrounded by and unprotected from the full malice and avarice of humanity. Alone, innocent and terrified, as a newborn with no real sense of control and with no way to simply camoflage itself in the sterile clinical environment of the laboratory, Mewtwo lashed out with the full force of its abilities, reducing the gaggle of scientists, administrators and students into fits and convulsions. Only the researcher, from whom it sensed only love and compassion at first, was spared its assault, but as her emotions too slipped into fear, Mewtwo fled, escaping into the tall grasslands surrounding Lavender town.

Chasing after it, full of concern as well as fear, the researcher was tailed by authorities angry at the damage Mewtwo had done. But they, as well as the researcher, were astonished to find not one but two pink cat-like creatures making a trail away from the town, eventually disappearing as though vanishing into thin air. For sensing the distress and innocence of a small child, just as it had done several years ago, Mew had appeared before the fleeing Mewtwo and showed it the way to go, leading it away from the town to find its own place to call home.

And so it was that the 151st Pokemon was first officially sighted.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

...You're a wonderful person.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
This is why we banned these threads in the first place.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Really? I was under the impression that these threads were banned because Pokemon games are generally unwatchable.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

BattleCattle posted:

It might be that Earth's more conventional biology simply could not compete with Pokemon for resources, and went extinct. It may also be that it's been such a long time since that happened, that humanity forgot that Pokemon drove the planet's ecosystem into the ground and established its own, and simply assumes that Pokemon are native to Earth.

Which brings up the question: Where'd Pokemon come from, and what brought them here? Whatever event or entity brought Pokemon here may very well come back at some point.

This also conveniently could wrap up why there are so few species.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

BattleCattle posted:

Really? I was under the impression that these threads were banned because Pokemon games are generally unwatchable.

It's also because Pokefans are generally unreadable.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

JossiRossi posted:

It's also because Pokefans are generally unreadable.

That's not news to me, but people here seem to be pretty well behaved about it.

...Except the bidoof wall. Goddamn. I can't believe somebody quoted that.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

BattleCattle posted:

That's not news to me, but people here seem to be pretty well behaved about it.

...Except the bidoof wall. Goddamn. I can't believe somebody quoted that.

That's the only post in the past two pages or so that's not complete poo poo.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
The Bidoof gif is funny, because it is a clever, simple, well-produced piece of content. Quoting it just extends the joke. (To an extent, there is such as thing as running it into the ground.)

Everything else on the last two pages is random people hashing out a pokemon fanfic. Taking the most stripped-down, basic, added-content-free video LP of the series, and bloating pages with crap that has nothing to do with it.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I see where you're coming from. Sorry about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Captain Bravo posted:

The Bidoof gif is funny, because goons.

Everything else on the last two pages is goons.

It's a pokemon thread, dude. Different things are going to annoy different people, and it's going to be amplified by the subject of the thread because the internet is particularly weird about pokemon.

It's like how my wife got mad at me today because she asked me who would win in a fight between two fictional characters and I said there wasn't enough information to know.

Which segues quite nicely into a couple of questions I have. Can any pokemon in the series fight any pokemon in the series now? What sort of stuff is done to mitigate power creep, or is that just ignored?

• Locked thread