Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

It's a good time of year for mojitos.

There's a time of year not good for mojitos?:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Monty Python posted:

Well now, the result of last week's competition when we asked you to find a derogatory term for the Belgians. Well, the response was enormous and we took quite a long time sorting out the winners. There were some very clever entries. Mrs Hatred of Leicester Said 'let's not call them anything, let's just ignore them' ... (applause starts vigorously, but he holds his hands up for silence) ... and a Mr St John of Huntingdon said he couldn't think of anything more derogatory than Belgians. (cheers and applause; a girl in showgirl costume comes on and holds up placards through next bit) But in the end we settled on three choices: number three ... the Sprouts (placard 'The Sprouts'), sent in by Mrs Vicious of Hastings... very nice ; number two..... the Phlegms (placard) ... from Mrs Childmolester of Worthing; but the winner was undoubtedly from Mrs No-Supper-For-You from Norwood in Lancashire... Miserable Fat Belgian Bastards.

/
/

Ratoslov posted:

Okay, so I've got myself a taste for some olde-fashioned cocktail mixing. I like me some whiskey sours with home-made sour mix, but I wanna try something else. Important note: I am pretty drat broke and don't really want to make anything that involves more than one bottle of liquor at a time. What should I make?

Daiquiris. It's like a whiskey sour except rum instead of whiskey and lime instead of lemon. Same proportions.

Make it with Cachaça and it becomes a caipirinha!

With gin it's a gimlet - leave out the sugar and top with soda and it's a Gin Rickey.

Cocktails (and highballs) are fun.

edit:

Avshalom posted:

Have any of you ever pictured a vagina coming loose and crawling along on the floor like a jellyfish, dragging itself by its dextrous labia?

Avshalom, I lf'ed with Kyoon. I knew Kyoon. Kyoon was a friend of mine. Poster, you're no Kyoon.

:sax:

moller fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 2, 2014

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
For people that drink/make mixed drinks, why should I bother with simple syrup instead of just adding sugar to the drink when mixing it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

euphronius posted:

And Georgia

Georiga 2. Or far East Georgia

Making it a separate state would be too confusing. Just make it part of Georgia.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

For people that drink/make mixed drinks, why should I bother with simple syrup instead of just adding sugar to the drink when mixing it.

Simple - Granulated sugar doesn't want to dissolve in cold alcohol but it loves dissolving in nearly boiling water. No matter how hard you shake the sugar will lie in a pile in the bottom of the glass, which is neither visually appealing nor tasty.

vvv

:japan:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Why was Pikachu the Japanese national team's mascot again

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Joementum posted:

Could have had Uzbeki-beki-beki-stan-stan on that list, but America wasn't ready for President Cain. :smith:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

The little yellow rat remains very popular as the franchise mascot of Pokemon. Now why they didn't choose Charizard/Greninja given that both are just as popular and actually useful is a very good question.

But then :japan:.

Hey, now that Kurdistan's going to be independent there's a whole new "-stan" for Herman Cain to not care about. Too bad he's not going to be running again.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Woah. I didn't know that the guy in the peyote employment case that started the whole RFRA business was named Al Smith. That's some deeply ironic poo poo right there.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Avshalom posted:

Come and make yourself at home.

We talk about dildos a lot. Apart from that it's fairly chill.

GBS? no thanks.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Chantilly Say posted:

Good idea, let's just send the Timbers to the World Cup next time.

The Timbers are the g*yest team in the world

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Pretty sure gayest isn't a swear tbp.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

tbp posted:

Are the jews even good at football? Sending in a bunch of goys is probably for the best.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Defenestration posted:

GBS? no thanks.
We're possibly the least GBS of the threads in GBS, but I understand your reservations.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

moller posted:

edit:

Avshalom, I lf'ed with Kyoon. I knew Kyoon. Kyoon was a friend of mine. Poster, you're no Kyoon.

:sax:
I don't aspire to kyoondom; my only aim is to be myself.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

tbp posted:

Goyest? That's not very nice.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
"Goy" isn't a slur, it's a neutral term and everything depends on the delivery and context.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Avshalom posted:

Have any of you ever pictured a vagina coming loose and crawling along on the floor like a jellyfish, dragging itself by its dextrous labia?

??

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I remember seeing that loving thing on TV when I was a child and it's a memory that brings back a surprising amount of residual trauma. What the hell is it? What is it from? What does it want?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Is that from that Mark Twain claymation? That was some raw poo poo.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Wow, and I thought gumby was creepy when I saw old reruns as a kid. Some aussie kids had some great night terrors due to that show I bet.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

SedanChair posted:

Didn't they meet a clay satan who made a race of clay people who he murdered horribly? I had nightmares about this.

it was the real deal

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Negative Entropy posted:

Wow, and I thought gumby was creepy. Some aussie kids had some great night terrors due to that show I bet.
I can confirm this.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

SedanChair posted:

It was from a kid's show called Plasmo.

That Mark Twain thing was pretty dark for a kid's movie though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak3z2Pm7Iwg

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Today a minor water main broke in one of our parks and when they dug it up it turned out to be made of asbestos so everyone freaked out and buried it because we dont have the equipment to handle that.

Maybe next year we will be able to budget for 50 year old mobster installed infrastructure removal.

Small goverment :allears:

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

RuanGacho posted:

Today a minor water main broke in one of our parks and when they dug it up it turned out to be made of asbestos so everyone freaked out and buried it because we dont have the equipment to handle that.

Maybe next year we will be able to budget for 50 year old mobster installed infrastructure removal.

Small goverment :allears:

Hopefully the asbestos water isn't being piped to anywhere where people are drinking it.

Haha who am I kidding, it probably goes directly to an orphanage or something like that.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Vladimir Poutine posted:

It was from a kid's show called Plasmo.

That Mark Twain thing was pretty dark for a kid's movie though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak3z2Pm7Iwg

Saw that when I was four or five, I think. Was never the same afterwards.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

viscous wolves posted:

Hopefully the asbestos water isn't being piped to anywhere where people are drinking it.

Haha who am I kidding, it probably goes directly to an orphanage or something like that.

Thankfully as far as I understand it wasnt in use at all but a quagmire right in the middle of a patch of grass in the middle of a park is a potential hazard.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I was to understand that the only real danger of asbestos (chrysotile) is that the fibers are small enough to breathe in, but too large to easily breathe out, and they build up in your lungs and cause all kinds of awfulness. I don't know that drinking water with asbestos in it is really as drastic a concern. I mean, obviously fix that poo poo ASAP, but I would think you guys did the right thing by not trying to remove it without proper equipment.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
My junior high school auditorium was closed because of asbestos, then they reopened it for a few weeks for the Christmas concert, then whoops it was closed again for asbestos.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
in honor of america being defeated by our cultural and athletic superiors belgium, i am drinking a belgian beer :cheers:

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

XyloJW posted:

I was to understand that the only real danger of asbestos (chrysotile) is that the fibers are small enough to breathe in, but too large to easily breathe out, and they build up in your lungs and cause all kinds of awfulness. I don't know that drinking water with asbestos in it is really as drastic a concern. I mean, obviously fix that poo poo ASAP, but I would think you guys did the right thing by not trying to remove it without proper equipment.

Apparently it's also bad for you if you ingest it, it can cause various types of cancer all throughout the digestive tract.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

viscous wolves posted:

Apparently it's also bad for you if you ingest it, it can cause various types of cancer all throughout the digestive tract.

I double checked after I posted, and the World Health Organization says there's no real evidence of that, at least as of 2002.

http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/asbestos.pdf

quote:

EFFECTS ON HUMANS

The health hazards associated with the inhalation of asbestos in the occupational environment have long been recognized and include asbestosis, bronchial carcinoma, malignant mesothelioma of the pleura and peritoneum, and possibly cancers of the gastrointestinal tract and larynx. In contrast, little convincing evidence has been found of the carcinogenicity of ingested asbestos in epidemiological studies of populations supplied with drinking-water containing high concentrations of asbestos (1,15,19–26). Moreover, the ability of asbestos fibres ingested in drinking-water to migrate through the walls of the gastrointestinal tract in sufficient numbers to cause adverse local or systemic effects is the subject of considerable disagreement (1,27,28).

In ecological population studies (1,20,22–25) (i.e. studies in which individual exposures were not estimated and population mobility was not adequately addressed), no consistent evidence was found of an association between cancer mortality or incidence and the ingestion of asbestos in drinking-water. In an analytical epidemiological (case–control) study that was inherently more sensitive than the ecological studies, there was no consistent evidence of a cancer risk associated with the ingestion of asbestos in drinking-water in Puget Sound, where levels up to 200 MFL were observed (26).

CONCLUSIONS

Although asbestos is a known human carcinogen by the inhalation route, available epidemiological studies do not support the hypothesis that an increased cancer risk is associated with the ingestion of asbestos in drinking-water. Moreover, in extensive feeding studies in animals, asbestos has not consistently increased the incidence of tumours of the gastrointestinal tract. There is therefore no consistent, convincing evidence that ingested asbestos is hazardous to health, and it is concluded that there is no need to establish a guideline for asbestos in drinking-water.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

XyloJW posted:

It's not so much the size, but the physical properties of the fibres. They are very thin, sharp and transparent. They get stuck easily causing plaques, inflammation and disruption of neuronal/messaging pathways.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I learned something :)

My aunt was telling me that her city got several million dollars from the state of California to build a state-of-the-art high school, and they got the whole thing built with plans to add on the gymnasium afterwards. Classes start, and a few weeks later they start preparing the space behind the school to build the gym, when they find there's a seam of serpentinite that runs underneath the whole thing. The whole school is closed down and has to be torn down and rebuilt somewhere else.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Asbestos is similar in structure to something like graphite. You get a bunch of fibres stacked together. This makes it a great insulating material, but also very prone to flaking into dust.

Also that report says that its unlikely for tumours to form in the GI tract, but the data is inconclusive/contradictory and is somewhat controversial. In other words the data is too noisy; It wouldn't surprise me that its very difficult to isolate the causative effect of the fibres, from the rest of the biological processes.

The advice is that it's not a serious cause for concern. But it also mentions that tumours were more common in a specific population of mice in a study, but was not statistically significant. I think the main idea is that the material is bad, but has a very small health risk when consumed. You're better spending money on removing asbestos that has the potential to become air borne.

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 2, 2014

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002

XyloJW posted:

From the FOOF-thread you have these asbestos facts:

Memento posted:

The problem isn't just their inability to be broken down. Asbestos fibres are literally thin enough to interact with chromosomes in the cell and introduce mutations. They can be as thin as 250nm across.

As if it hasn't a bad enough reputation...

edit: Actually that thread has quite a lot of good asbestos-chat. Eg. how there's great variations between different sources of asbestos.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

BernieLomax posted:

edit: Actually that thread has quite a lot of good asbestos-chat. Eg. how there's great variations between different sources of asbestos.

Oh yeah, there's even a whole rating system when people are carrying out asbestos inspections. Apparently the vermiculite on my ceiling could potentially have traces of asbestos in it, but because no one is working on it they don't classify it as being a concern.

A budgie of mine had a habit of clinging onto the vermiculite and chewing pieces of it off. It got ill one day and had a long and protracted death (probably parrot fever). Good thing the ceiling is a dust magnet, and is old and crumbly. If I die from an unusual causes, test my body for asbestos please.

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 2, 2014

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

XyloJW posted:

My aunt was telling me that her city got several million dollars from the state of California to build a state-of-the-art high school, and they got the whole thing built with plans to add on the gymnasium afterwards. Classes start, and a few weeks later they start preparing the space behind the school to build the gym, when they find there's a seam of serpentinite that runs underneath the whole thing. The whole school is closed down and has to be torn down and rebuilt somewhere else.

That kind of reminds me of the high school I went to. Its opening was delayed for several years because it was built a few miles from a toxic waste dump, and it earned the moniker "toxic high." The school district assured the community that there were no carcinogens in the soil, and they were probably right, and the district opened up the thoroughly failed attempt to open up a "global high school." (All of the signs were in the 9 most widely spoken world languages)

If I ever develop cancer I won't blame it on high school, however, I'll blame it on ROTC. My school conducted most activities at a nuclear waste dump Superfund site in the Midwest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002

zoux posted:

Yeah I know I said colonial brutality.

sorry just had to see if i could edit this slightly - my first gif-anim even

• Locked thread