Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny
Dec 31, 2005

Anyone in the UK should check out Fopp for records, they have a pretty decent selection nowadays for some really good prices. I got both Burial albums for £9 each, Aphex Twin - SAW Vol. II (3LP) for £22, Sufjan Stevens - The Age of Adz for £12. They've also got all Godspeed You! Black Emperor albums for <£20 each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derek of the Andes
Dec 10, 2009

Big Black - "Atomizer" (OG on Homestead)

What clown would sell their copy of this!
Horrible , horrible person.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I picked up A Hard Day's Night and Foreign Correspondent.

Really looking forward to seeing Foreign Correspondent. It's on the short list of Hitchcock films I haven't yet seen.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Just got a temporary turntable for free from a mate. Is it safe to put records on it when it doesn't have a counterbalance? It's very low end.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

krampster2 posted:

Just got a temporary turntable for free from a mate. Is it safe to put records on it when it doesn't have a counterbalance? It's very low end.

Probably not. If it's a magnetic cart, the needle won't even support the weight. If it's not, then it could dig into the vinyl.

That said, my turntable doesn't have a counterweight so I just duct taped some bolts on the end till it was about right. It works great.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Blast Fantasto posted:

I picked up A Hard Day's Night and Foreign Correspondent.

Really looking forward to seeing Foreign Correspondent. It's on the short list of Hitchcock films I haven't yet seen.

Here you go, buddy.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

wa27 posted:

That said, my turntable doesn't have a counterweight so I just duct taped some bolts on the end till it was about right. It works great.
I was thinking of trying something like that. The arm is quite light so it wouldn't need much weight to counter.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Cloks posted:

Here you go, buddy.

Ugh, I'm a loving dumbass. Thank you.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.
Sooo... it looks like Death Grips broke up. I'm wondering: How high will the price of the LP go for in the coming days? The same as always, or through the loving roof? I'm curious!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

izationalizer posted:

Sooo... it looks like Death Grips broke up. I'm wondering: How high will the price of the LP go for in the coming days? The same as always, or through the loving roof? I'm curious!

It's not going to suddenly become more rare. If anything, a breakup might be the trigger for a re-press, right? Someone wants to keep earning a paycheck after the group breaks up.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
if any of you happen to live in Vancouver, I'm piecing out my collection: http://www.discogs.com/user/chochacho/collection

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.
If you're in the US, here's an excellent bargain on the MFSL pressing of Weezer's "blue album." $14.00 or best offer! SOLD!

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 3, 2014

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

BigFactory posted:

It's not going to suddenly become more rare. If anything, a breakup might be the trigger for a re-press, right? Someone wants to keep earning a paycheck after the group breaks up.

Oh, I agree on both points. I was just wondering whether it might spark an outbreak of irrational exuberance over the next few days. However, the most recent copy "only" went for $276, so I guess not.

People do go crazy sometimes, though. Remember when copies of "Thriller" were going for $500+ after Michael Jackson died?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

izationalizer posted:

Oh, I agree on both points. I was just wondering whether it might spark an outbreak of irrational exuberance over the next few days. However, the most recent copy "only" went for $276, so I guess not.

People do go crazy sometimes, though. Remember when copies of "Thriller" were going for $500+ after Michael Jackson died?

I had an opportunity to buy a Warhol print of Mick Jagger signed by Jagger and Warhol once. I almost picked it up as an investment, figuring that Jagger was going to die sometime in the next 25 years and in the immediate aftermath I could turn a quick buck. And just like you were thinking, this was right after MJ died and a (much rarer) Warhol print of him went for a fortune. Probably would have been a better investment than the mutual funds I spent the money on.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Blast Fantasto posted:

So yeah, you should probably go to Urban Outfitters. $9.99 a piece:

There is currently a deal for an additional 50% off of sale items. $9.99 records at UO are now ringing up as $4.99.

I picked up this lot:
Metz - S/T
Wild Beasts - Present Tense
Wild Nothing - Nocturne
Titus Andronicus - Local Business
Dodos - Carrier
Beach Fossils - Clash the Truth
Hospitality - Trouble
Palma Violets - 180

interpunct fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 3, 2014

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

A couple of dollar records that were exactly what I expected them to be.

Pretty much a Magnificient Seven sampler OST.

From 1989, and the rapper is from Miami. What's playing in your head imagining this song is probably not too far off the mark... although the Led Zeppelin sample was pretty random.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Any Aussie vinyl goons have an opinion on The Third Wheel as a place to get records?

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

The best kind of sex is VHS.

BigFactory posted:

Death grips isn't known for repressing anything, especially when it's pressed by Third World (their label).
poo poo, it's already hit about $425.

In other news, I'm contemplating selling my copy of Exmilitary.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

3dou posted:

Death grips isn't known for repressing anything, especially when it's pressed by Third World (their label).
poo poo, it's already hit about $425.

In other news, I'm contemplating selling my copy of Exmilitary.

They've been around for what, 2 years? Is that enough of a sample size to really let you know what they will or will not do when one of them is broke and Hot Topic comes to them about doing a repress?

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

All right. This isn't all that impressive, and I have no idea whether anyone here would be interested, but I saw it, and it seems like a fair deal if you're in the US, so I thought I'd post it. Here are 15 records for $18.00 or best offer. There's nothing rare in this lot, but there are some decent titles (I own and love several of them). Here's the list:

Cat Stevens(4)-Izitso, Tea for the Tillerman, Buddha and the Chocolate Box, Numbers
Bruce Springsteen(1)-The Wild The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle
Janis Joplin(1)-Pearl
Jackson Browne(1)-The Pretender
Eric Clapton(1)-Slowhand
Steely Dan(1)-Aja
James Taylor(1)-Greatest Hits
The Who(3)-Live at Leeds, Tommy/London Symphony Orchestra, Face Dances
Simon and Garfunkel(1)-Bridge Over Troubled Waters
Elvis Costello(1)-The Years Model

Shipping is $4 within the US. It seems to me that it might be worth making an offer for these, especially if you're just starting your collection.

Anyway, again, I'm not even sure this was worth posting, but I thought I'd toss it out there, just in case.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Ballz posted:

A couple of dollar records that were exactly what I expected them to be.

Pretty much a Magnificient Seven sampler OST.

I saw this the last time I was at Goodwill and was incredibly bummed when there wasn't actually a record inside the jacket.

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

The best kind of sex is VHS.

BigFactory posted:

They've been around for what, 2 years? Is that enough of a sample size to really let you know what they will or will not do when one of them is broke and Hot Topic comes to them about doing a repress?

Considering their last 2 albums were released without any sort of advertisement for free (against their label's wishes as well), you never really know with them.
But there are plenty of popular albums that don't get repressed.

There was a discussion about supply and demand like 15 pages ago. I'm sure Exmilitary will get repressed eventually, but it won't be right now.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Finally purchased Spiderland on vinyl. That's my favourite album of all time. How is the remastering?

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

Here's what appears to be a pretty good deal on Eric Dolphy's classic "Out to Lunch" LP. $12 + cheap shipping within the US. It's not a first pressing--it has the blue labels--but I just checked, and the last two blue labels sold at auction both went for $22, and a BIN went for $31. So this might be worth snagging. Great record, too, if you're an adventurous listener. SOLD!

E: It looks like you can actually buy brand-new copies of "Out to Lunch" for only slightly more ($13.10 is the cheapest I saw). But I was just reading that these blue labels from the 70s often use original stampers (which is perhaps why the copy I linked to has Van Gelder in the deadwax), and they're obviously all analog, so there's that to consider.

Earlier today, I also saw a copy of the Smiths' "Hatful of Hollow" for $19.99 that also included a backstage pass to a 1985 Chicago concert. However, it sold before I could even finish typing the post! Maybe I should have snagged that one myself....

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 7, 2014

plowhound
Oct 12, 2012
Had a nice weekend at a couple of flea markets and a used record shop. What I picked up:

Zeppelin II
Swan song
Houses of the holy
Zeppelin untitled
Thick as a brick Jethro Tull
Bowie young Americans
Rush exit stage left
Alman Brothers the road goes on forever
Thriller
Every ELO
Prince 1999

Paid about 30 bucks for everything.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I usually don't post my recent scores unless it's a large/major haul, but I'm so excited about this one that I just have to post:

Such a demented record.

Oh, and also: Here is a very first pressing of the very first New York Dolls LP for $10 + $3.50 shipping within the US. Early pressings of this record can actually be had for less than $10, but this one has the printed inner sleeve and pink back cover, which makes it rarer and more expensive on average (it looks like $20-30 is pretty normal for well-listed copies). The only downside to this copy is that it has some serious seam splittage (vinyl is VG+).

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 9, 2014

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

This is our song of exultant joy
Superdrag's "Head Trip in Every Key" is getting the vinyl treatment for the first time, as well as a set of demos that were made prior to the recording of the album. So pumped to have this classic on vinyl.

http://store.sideonedummy.com/bands/superdrag.html?limit=15

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I haven't really had time to look through it, but oldies.com is having another sale: http://www.oldies.com/collection-view/Vinyl-Warehouse-Clearance-Sale.html

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

eggsovereasy posted:

I haven't really had time to look through it, but oldies.com is having another sale: http://www.oldies.com/collection-view/Vinyl-Warehouse-Clearance-Sale.html

Here's a random personal recommendation after browsing around and seeing pretty much anything interesting being long sold out:

Daughn Gibson - Me Moan for 7.99

Former trucker with a great baritone voice and a heavy usage of samples. Here's two stand-out tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALoCmqTHe4I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpIY84A-75Y

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Sorry you didn't get any internet points. I think listening to your favorite records is fun too!

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

Here's a copy of Bjork's "Vespertine" for $25 or best offer. $25 looks like a fair deal in and of itself; I'm looking at the completed listings, and it appears to be selling for anywhere from $30-60. If you could get him/her to accept a lower offer, it could become an excellent deal. SOLD!

In other news, here's another thing I just picked up that I'm super-excited about :

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 11, 2014

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

EDIT: Never mind, that wasn't such a good deal after all (short version: I'm an idiot).

However, here's a copy of "Abbey Road" for $4.00. Vinyl does have a 1/2" mark that you can feel with a fingernail, though. SOLD!

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jul 13, 2014

plowhound
Oct 12, 2012
I found something today that's kind of interesting. Its not my kind of music, so I don't know much about it. I don't know if its a good find or a bunch of crap. Its a US pressing of the Lime Spiders first LP, The Cave Comes Alive. The cool thing is that its signed by the entire band.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

plowhound posted:

I found something today that's kind of interesting. Its not my kind of music, so I don't know much about it. I don't know if its a good find or a bunch of crap. Its a US pressing of the Lime Spiders first LP, The Cave Comes Alive. The cool thing is that its signed by the entire band.

I have that record, although I haven't played it in years. Generally speaking, I'm a huge fan of the garage rock/punk/psych genre(s), but the Lime Spiders always seemed a little too tame for me. Also, it's not a particularly rare or valuable record, but that's pretty awesome that it's signed!

Also also, the mailman just brought me yet another record that I'm super excited about :

Neu! - self-titled LP. Original German pressing on Brain. Can't wait to spin it!

The mailman also brought me David Bowie's "Heroes," which, almost unbelievably, had been eluding me for over a decade. I mean, I had never seen it in the wild, which is crazy because I'd seen the rest of his catalog multiple times (and, in some cases, very many times). Finally found a cheap-ish copy on eBay, though.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
The quality of the gimmicks on Jack White's new album sucks terribly. It's way too hard to get side one to play without getting trapped in the etching. So you just hope you don't miss too much of track one. And side one's pressing quality was terrible, with a ton of noise. Then the dual groove on Just One Drink is just bad. It didn't sync up properly, so you hear "jus...just one drink."

The quality of side two is much better. Very little noise.

I got it for the music, but my request to Jack is to drop the vinyl gimmicks.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Cemetry Gator posted:

The quality of the gimmicks on Jack White's new album sucks terribly. It's way too hard to get side one to play without getting trapped in the etching. So you just hope you don't miss too much of track one. And side one's pressing quality was terrible, with a ton of noise. Then the dual groove on Just One Drink is just bad. It didn't sync up properly, so you hear "jus...just one drink."

The quality of side two is much better. Very little noise.

I got it for the music, but my request to Jack is to drop the vinyl gimmicks.

of course

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

I got it for the music

That's weird.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
gently caress a gimmick, I'm not even buying color jackets anymore. Recent:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Don't worry. I called a local psychiatric hotline and explained to them that I just purchase a Jack White record for the music and not for the vinyl gimmick.

They then told me something about the house of Saturn being in Jupiter or something like that.