Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
A friend of mine is on next week. This marks my third friend from my college Quiz Bowl team to make the show before me. If it gives to five, :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
GhostStalker, congrats on making it on Jeopardy and doing well. I'm sure it's much harder to STAY CLAM under pressure than it seems. You've got everything to be proud of. And that was a tough final - I said India.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Yeah, I was the Asian dude in the middle. Still trying to collect all of my thoughts on my experience, my Facebook blew up with people talking about it and I just managed to get through it all now. Had some family over to watch it with, which was nice. Also had some others come over afterwards to rag on me about losing, but it was all in good fun.

Talk more about my thoughts on the episode and how I did tomorrow.

jscolon2.0 posted:

A friend of mine is on next week. This marks my third friend from my college Quiz Bowl team to make the show before me. If it gives to five, :suicide:

So Beverley did manage to get on a taping the day after I flamed out, and will air next week? That's cool. She was one of the leftover contestants after they taped the last episode on Tuesday, so I'm glad to see she got on Wednesday. She was at the same audition I went to in New York, and then i saw her again on the shuttle from the hotel to the Sony Studios. Can't wait to see how she did!

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 26, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
TBH I was rooting for you and I had absolutely 0 idea you were a goon. Hell I didn't even know a goon was in line to be on the show. I also liked your anecdote.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

wa27 posted:

I only knew one of the "Internet Slang" answers. :negative:

To be fair, I don't think I've ever seen anyone use "LD/Line Death" online. Or RDV for that matter.

Props to GhostStalker for holding your own. And doing the rarest of rare Jeopardy feats: having a decent interview segment.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

To be fair, I don't think I've ever seen anyone use "LD/Line Death" online. Or RDV for that matter.
I've never seen RDV either, but LD was a thing like 5-7 years ago. I don't think I've seen it since then, though.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I missed GhostStalkers episode any chance it'll be put up on youtube?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

zVxTeflon posted:

I missed GhostStalkers episode any chance it'll be put up on youtube?

It's already up. Went up before the episode aired in NY too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i3VFZsfE0U

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Nice. The ones I want never show up when I search for them. Thanks

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

zVxTeflon posted:

Nice. The ones I want never show up when I search for them. Thanks

Yeah, someone I knew through the New York Comic Con volunteer network found the episode before it had aired in New York online and put it on his Dropbox. Then a friend of mine through college said that he forgot to watch it when I went to remind him, and it was already over. He then went and found the episode on YouTube and linked me to it, which I then put on my Facebook.

Apparently it was uploaded the day before or something, or at least really early in the day, so there were some people who were pissed about the episode going up that early...

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

GhostStalker nooooo don't post in the JBoard thread! They were being very mean to you!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

zakharov posted:

GhostStalker nooooo don't post in the JBoard thread! They were being very mean to you!

Need to defend my internet honor! All the feedback to me has been positive from what I've seen on boards I frequent (like here) and my Facebook, so I need to confront some negative commentary as well!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Jboarders can be a bit...caustic, as you've seen. Lots of spergin' going on over there. Shocking for Jeopardy fans, I know.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

zakharov posted:

Jboarders can be a bit...caustic, as you've seen. Lots of spergin' going on over there. Shocking for Jeopardy fans, I know.

Seems to be ok for now, but I think most of the previous caustic posters have moved on to the thread about today's game.

Speaking of which, my thoughts on that will be later.

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, I was the Asian dude in the middle. Still trying to collect all of my thoughts on my experience, my Facebook blew up with people talking about it and I just managed to get through it all now. Had some family over to watch it with, which was nice. Also had some others come over afterwards to rag on me about losing, but it was all in good fun.

Talk more about my thoughts on the episode and how I did tomorrow.

So Beverley did manage to get on a taping the day after I flamed out, and will air next week? That's cool. She was one of the leftover contestants after they taped the last episode on Tuesday, so I'm glad to see she got on Wednesday. She was at the same audition I went to in New York, and then i saw her again on the shuttle from the hotel to the Sony Studios. Can't wait to see how she did!

You really felt goony. How embarrassing it is to go straight for the Asian country category and miss 4 of them?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

yourafagpleasedie posted:

You really felt goony. How embarrassing it is to go straight for the Asian country category and miss 4 of them?

This is kind of unnecessarily dickish, which is a shock coming from an erudite poster like "yourafagpleasedie"

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot

zakharov posted:

This is kind of unnecessarily dickish, which is a shock coming from an erudite poster like "yourafagpleasedie"

No not really. Its something he did and I want to know why. He clearly felt confident to zip right to that category but after not getting them correct he might take a hint.

Just very funny to see the asian go for the asian category but not get any right.

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.
Ghoststalker - I finally got to see your show tonight. Too bad you didn't win, but I admire you putting it all out there. If I were on the show I think I'd be cautious enough to not respond on some that I would've gotten right. Obviously you were pretty fearless about going for answers and it just wasn't your day. Great job overall, I didn't know more than a handful of those questions.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

You went for a true daily double and got it. Livin the dream.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

No not really. Its something he did and I want to know why. He clearly felt confident to zip right to that category but after not getting them correct he might take a hint.

Just very funny to see the asian go for the asian category but not get any right.

I think you could show a bit more tact than asking how embarrassing it was. The guy was brave enough to go on national TV with the potential for humiliation, and do well overall. Then again, I think you were the guy who complained that female contestants weren't hot enough so I dunno why I'm wasting my time here.

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot

zakharov posted:

I think you could show a bit more tact than asking how embarrassing it was. The guy was brave enough to go on national TV with the potential for humiliation, and do well overall. Then again, I think you were the guy who complained that female contestants weren't hot enough so I dunno why I'm wasting my time here.

What am I supposed to give this guy a cookie or something because he want on national TV and didnt poo poo his pants all over the stage?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Yourafagdieplease is the only person on my ignore list that I never forget the reason I put him there.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

First of all, gently caress you too.

Second, I'm much more knowledgeable about East Asian geography, and most of the clues in that category happened to be about South Asia and the Middle East, still technically Asia, but not my area of expertise. I have some knowledge of the rest of Asia, but not as much as East Asia. Hurr durr, Chinese guy knowing more about East Asia than the rest of it, stereotypes ahoy. Thought I knew enough about it, but I guess I didn't. Oh well. Really wish I could've gotten all of those questions back, but it is what it is.

The Daily Double clue was about Shanghai and I got that one easily enough, as my expression when they revealed the clue and I was reading through it as Alex read it shows easily enough. I was maybe thinking that I should answer using the Chinese pronunciations of the city name, either in Mandarin (still Shanghai, just more Asian sounding) or in Cantonese (my native tongue, pronounced more like Sheung Hoi, which might've cause me to get it wrong because of the alternate pronunciation) but decided against showing off and just answered it regularly.

One of my cousins blasted me in a text for forgetting the capital of Yemen was Sana'a and not Aden, which I got mixed up on, but otherwise, the category was a pretty poor showing by me. Kept hoping to get an East Asian City clue, but it just didn't happen. Easy come, east go, I guess.

That enough explaining for you, you gigantic douchenozzle?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Also, it seems like the person who uploaded my episode to YouTube decided to remove the video. Need to find another link now. As I said before, someone from the New York Comic Con Volunteer/Crew network found a raw and uploaded it to his Dropbox, so I guess that might work for now.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Has anyone been watching the last few days? The vocal fry by the champion makes it almost unwatchable. It's painful to listen to.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

goodbye sweet goony princess

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

FairGame posted:

Has anyone been watching the last few days? The vocal fry by the champion makes it almost unwatchable. It's painful to listen to.

I wonder if it was nerves? Some kind of spasmodic dysphonia?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

FairGame posted:

Jill is really nice in person, but yeah, her verbal tic is making me think she was really nervous. Caught a cab back to the hotel from the studio with her on Tuesday after my taping and the first game she won and she insisted on paying for it since she was the new champ and wouldn't take no for an answer. She'll have a nice payday in 120 days with all the money she won in the two days of taping she did...

Really cake Final today, like yesterday (and unlike my Final, still angry about that!) but neither Jill nor Shokla got it. Jill was already out of it by the end there, needed someone to miss Final and bet big (like Shokla did) to win, but she didn't do too well there. Looks like both had a brain fart. Oh well, Howard walks away with the huge payday. Now he can take his wife on that honeymoon in 4 months when he gets his check.

I got the answer after a while got because I was sure it was a trick question and couldn’t be that drat easy. Guess I was overthinking things, and that’s never good.

Jill's outfit looked plenty distracting today, too. I know I'm not supposed to comment on that, but it really did...

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That one clue about curtain fabric or whatever mixed up "lays" and "lies." :argh:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

GhostStalker posted:

Jill's outfit looked plenty distracting today, too. I know I'm not supposed to comment on that, but it really did...

It was rather distracting to me, but of course I didn't mind.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I'mm trying to think if I've ever hated anyone more than Mr. Sideburns today and I'm coming up empty

edit:

GhostStalker posted:

That enough explaining for you, you gigantic douchenozzle?

Soothing Vapors posted:

Please stop responding seriously to forums poster yourafagpleasedie

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 3, 2014

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Soothing Vapors posted:

I'mm trying to think if I've ever hated anyone more than Mr. Sideburns today and I'm coming up empty

Don't forget the douche-beard. I liked Christi a lot though.

That was a wickedly hard FJ. I also had American Samoa and Guam, though it'd be an international date line trick.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

zakharov posted:

Don't forget the douche-beard.
When he said he had a drum circle and a sushi bar at his wedding I let out something akin to a moan, like Marley's ghost

I haven't gotten to FJ yet but none of these dummies seem like they can handle a hard one

edit: that was one of the hardest FJs in a long time

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 3, 2014

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Wow, laughed real hard at the guy guessing Alaska and Maine when the clue specifically said territories. Always feels good when you get a Final Jeopardy that none of the contestants do. I just had to remember if the US Virgin Islands were east or west of Puerto Rico.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

I named the Virgin Islands, but I forgot what was furthest west... Looking at those US Territory quarters that came out like 5 years ago after they finished all the states helped. I see enough of them when I help out at my parents' laundromat, and I collect them when I can get my hands on them and they don't mess up my parents' figures too much.

Still, after a run of cake Finals (except arguably mine last week), it's good to see another hard one. Wouldn't have helped me too much, since I probably would've bet it all if I was in the same position off of the category, sicne I know a lot of US Geography. Oh well.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

GhostStalker posted:

I named the Virgin Islands, but I forgot what was furthest west... Looking at those US Territory quarters that came out like 5 years ago after they finished all the states helped. I see enough of them when I help out at my parents' laundromat, and I collect them when I can get my hands on them and they don't mess up my parents' figures too much.

I remember because I think their motto is/was "Where America starts its day" since it's the first American thing on the other side of the IDL.

Also the sad thing that first helped me remember tonight's FJ (although I've become more familiar with it since) not really a spoiler, but was an episode of the Highlander TV series where Roger Daltrey was a recurring guest star.

Punch Card fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 3, 2014

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Since Bev is Filipina, having "Philippines" be a Daily Double someone missed has to have made her so mad.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
The mustache gag was funny.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

jscolon2.0 posted:

Since Bev is Filipina, having "Philippines" be a Daily Double someone missed has to have made her so mad.

Welp, looks like Beverly wound up in the same spot that I did there at the end. She had auditioned with me in Times Square back in May 2013, so I wanted to see how she would do. Saw her in the shuttle from the hotel to the studio, remembered her from the audition, struck up a conversation asking if she auditioned at the same place, etc. She was one of the holdovers from my day of taping, so I didn't know how her game turned out. Shame about not her being able to be the one to answer the Daily Double, she probably would've aced it like I did mine.

Her contestant interview was finny though. Knew it was something like that, since I was in the Green Room when the Contestant Coordinator going over it with her. Mustache gag was funny as well from the next guy over.

Anyone else notice that Alex seemed off of his game today, being kinda slow on responses? Maybe he came back from lunch out of it, but I would've figured that coming back form a lunch break would've perked him up somewhat. Then I remember what he was like during my day of taping after the lunch break and how he acted a bit more condescending towards Jennifer at the end there, so I guess it kinda makes sense.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

RRRRRRRGH how was Secret Service a triple stumper?? There's only one agency that deals with counterfeiting and protection!