Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Police Automaton posted:

(Legion getting stabbed to death was actually absolutely fine, tho)
No it wasn't :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
ME3 Legion was begging for it.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
kill all geth

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Inverness posted:

So I said I wanted to play a Reaper in ME4 right?

You'd have a character designing sequence when you start the game. You'd be able to chose from several of the common races in the galaxy, along with some other attitude or background defining aspect.

When that's all done and you've hit the finish button you hear "ORGANIC PLATFORM DESIGN COMPLETE. ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL." which is where the player begins to :stare: as they pop out of their cloning tube on a Sovereign-class Reaper, your actual character.

This would actually get me to pick up ME4. If only because if they could hide the intro from the press long enough the reactions would be hilarious.

Also seeing Bioware trying to retcon the Reapers into being heroic since they'd be the new protagonist. You know they wouldn't be able to resist it. Can you imagine what the renegade and paragon choices would look like?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
R: Kill and enslave entire planet slowly
P: Kill and enslave entire planet quickly

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Make two people who hate each other have sex.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Waltzing Along posted:

But they already made DA:O.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

Jack and Miranda? :quagmire:

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

comatose posted:

Jack and Miranda? :quagmire:

I think Jack and Miranda's reaction to Shepard suggesting exactly that in Citadel is just right.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Archonex posted:

Also seeing Bioware trying to retcon the Reapers into being heroic since they'd be the new protagonist. You know they wouldn't be able to resist it. Can you imagine what the renegade and paragon choices would look like?

Paragon: Although you consider us the enemy, these conclusions are flawed. We are your salvation. We bring you peace: a peace built upon OUR social framework imposed upon your planet, a new world order in which your prosperity and security are assured by the Ur-Quan. We will protect you from the hazards of this hostile universe, from dangers so hideous your simple minds cannot imagine their dark scope. Today, we are the enemy. In time, this will change. Soon, you will come to understand the boon of slavery we force upon you and then, you will revere and even love us for this gift.

Renegade: We do not kill. We cleanse. Cleansing is necessary to ensure our eternal freedom and security. Indeed, you fail to understand: there is no death. Only termination and rebirth. Each termination brings around the new chance the possibility to be born an Ur-Quan. We merely present this opportunity, make it available to all.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

comatose posted:

Yeah going into 2 I felt like I was playing 3 but it is still very different. The power cooldowns are still much longer than 3 and while the combos are there they feel a lot harder to pull off. Also the smg that you start with is horrible and I wish I had the hurricane or whatever it is from ME3.

I just gave up on a full Insanity run through of 1 after the combat just became a really irritating slog through. I don't know why I decided to go for both the Krogan/Turian Ally badges AND the Insanity badge at the same time. (Although now I have X versions of everything and a level 57 character, so there's that .. Though for some reason I can only find Onyx X armor in Krogan, Turian and Quarian versions, the highest human Onyx Armor I can find is IV...).

Anyway, I gave up and started 2 and got the exact same sense. I think it's made all the worse by the fact that the PS3 version of ME2 is built on the ME3 engine, so it looks and feels like it should be almost exactly the same.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I don't think you're actually supposed to start a new character in ME1 on Hardcore/Insanity anyway. They're there for your level 50+ walking biotic gods with all Spectre guns on a new game plus.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
I did it, with a level 1 Engineer with sniper rifles as the bonus talent. :colbert:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
And I'm sure you had tons of fun doing it. :cheeky:

Lycus fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 2, 2014

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lycus posted:

And I'm sure you had tons of fun doing it. :cheeky:

I did it a few times too and honestly except for a few ridiculously hard fights (outside the bar, the end of Liara's recruitment with the krogan, and a few of those interior base fights where every enemy just rushes at your face) as soon as I got my weapon skill up it turned into any other run. But it really, really helps to abuse the experience boost you get from bringing things down to a sliver of health with the Mako then hopping out and killing them on foot.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

You're basically saying "It's okay when you get your level up." That's my point. It can be fun (as fun as you personally think ME1 is) for a new game plus character. It's not fun at low levels, so I say, just don't do it that way.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lycus posted:

You're basically saying "It's okay when you get your level up." That's my point. It can be fun (as fun as you personally think ME1 is) for a new game plus character. It's not fun at low levels, so I say, just don't do it that way.

I'm certainly not saying its something everyone should do, just that all you really need to do is make it through some already deliberately hard fights for a low level character and after that its basically the same game as Veteran or Hardcore. Compare it to beating Dark Souls with a SL1 unarmed barbarian; yeah its hard but its completely doable and if you're the kind of person who wants to deliberately challenge yourself with something the game might not expect you to do its there.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Lycus posted:

I don't think you're actually supposed to start a new character in ME1 on Hardcore/Insanity anyway. They're there for your level 50+ walking biotic gods with all Spectre guns on a new game plus.

I didn't, but the enemies scale. The problem is that at level 50+, they just become giant bullet sponges that take forever to die. Even using HM X weapons and Explosive X rounds. And even at full power, Overload and Sabotage might take down one and a half shield blocks.

Anyway, just got tired of it all, went back to my first character and started playing Citadel. "A stiff one in the lips"!!! :magical: This is about to be hilarious.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Enemies scale, but you still improve from level to level more than the enemies do. They're bullet sponges at high levels but it's still less annoying to play than at low levels. If it's no fun for you either way, then of course the correct course of action is to not do it at all, as you did.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 2, 2014

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Yeah I am doing an Insanity run with Wrex and Garrus as well as trying to get those stupid power achievements too. gently caress ME1 achievements, ME2/ME3 all the way where you can have your squaddies do all the work for you.

Incidentally I am also doing this run as a fresh Sentinel and you know what? It was really loving hard (died like 10 times in a row against the Krogan Warlord at the end of Therum) until I unlocked Lift, then it turned into merely inconvenient. Also helped that I remembered that the autosave is more or less non-existent in ME1 so I am not flipping the gently caress out every time I die on a planet and have to restart the whole thing.

Also, this run is showing me that Pistols are loving broken in this series :stare:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Okay, people that have done the whole "get everybody's health down to a sliver, then get out of the Mako and kill them for the XP boost" thing. Be honest with me, did any of you like doing that? Because that sounds like a horrible time to me. I don't think I'd do that in a million years.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 2, 2014

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Lycus posted:

Okay, people that have done the whole "get everybody's health down to a sliver, then get out of the Mako and kill them for the XP boost" thing. Be honest with me, did any of you like doing that? Because that sounds like a horrible time to me. I don't think I'd do that in a million years.

people had trouble getting xp in ME?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I did it sometimes with thresher maws. I didn't mind so much about the xp, I mainly did it to own them.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lycus posted:

It's not exactly a massive burden to do? You fight an enemy normally until they don't have much health left then get out and shoot at it with a smaller gun. There's not a whole lot of effort involved there.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Yeah, that sounds like no fun at all. If you have fun doing that, cool, but I would rather roll around watching everybody fly when I blow them up with my cannon. Or run 'em over.

Didn't think it took effort. Grinding never takes effort. Just time and tedium.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 2, 2014

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

2house2fly posted:

I did it sometimes with thresher maws. I didn't mind so much about the xp, I mainly did it to own them.

Or the armatures and colossi. Roll in with the Mako, then pop out with sledgehammer rounds using it as cover.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I just find it easier to park the Mako and shoot things outside because while the Mako has a big cannon it is also a bigger target and really loving hard to maneuver in most fire fights. Except against things like Colossus and Thresher Maws I tend to get out and shoot because it takes about as much time either way but for some reason the Mako also seems really weak and easy to destroy. Although that may just be because I'm playing on Insanity

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
You can change the experience modifier you get for killing things from the Mako. It's just a number in an ini, and on my second playthrough I set it to like 500 for a bit so I could breeze through a few levels. m_fVehicleExpScaleFactor in BIOGame.ini, and you can set it to 1 if you want full experience without getting out of the vehicle.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

JawKnee posted:

people had trouble getting xp in ME?

My current ME1 character is at level 57, has 70,000 points to get to level 58. It's not difficult, just tedious.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I would assume he's saying that as someone who thinks finishing the game at level 57 is perfectly fine.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I did an Insanity run. From level 1. As an adept with pistols. Made it easy mode once they were levelled up except for:

The first fight right outside the bar. At a low level that was hard as poo poo. I think I was level 4 or 5. Took a number of tries to get it.
The Krogan battlemaster after rescuing Liara. Once I figured out where to start the fight it wasn't terrible, just annoying. (run behind the crates in front of you so you have some cover)
Any base that had snipers. Those sucked and probably caused the most deaths because they were long distance one shot deaths.

Note: I did a complete run so I didn't wuss out and skip the non mission critical planets.

Once Pistols and Lift were maxed it was just stupid mode. Oh, a Geth Colossus? Let me lift you up and gun you down with my machine gun pistol thingy. Repeat and dead. Same with Saren. Ho hum.

It actually made the fights more interesting and was, game play wise, my favorite run.

ME2 on insanity was just shite. gently caress that noise. Cuz I'm a masochist, I had to get the achievement in Arrival with the 5 waves and the the mech. On insanity. Yeah. Also, the Jack mission was balls.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Insanity is good and fun from level 1, you just have to put a bit of thought into your spec (prioritise more powers over upgrading them) & party comp and use the combat system properly. Half the tools you have can be ignored on every other difficulty level so it's nice to have to use overload and warp tactically sometimes.

If you're finding enemies to be 'bullet sponges' that take a while to go down, you're either doing something wrong or far too used to playing on casual and barely looking at the screen as you bullet hose your way mindlessly through levels.

ME2 on Insanity also owns, but I probably prefer Hardcore. ME3 is a huge disappointment.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

sassassin posted:

Insanity is good and fun from level 1, you just have to put a bit of thought into your spec (prioritise more powers over upgrading them) & party comp and use the combat system properly. Half the tools you have can be ignored on every other difficulty level so it's nice to have to use overload and warp tactically sometimes.

If you're finding enemies to be 'bullet sponges' that take a while to go down, you're either doing something wrong or far too used to playing on casual and barely looking at the screen as you bullet hose your way mindlessly through levels.

ME2 on Insanity also owns, but I probably prefer Hardcore. ME3 is a huge disappointment.

As easy as it may be, I'd much rather play ME3 than ME2 again. Beyond the obvious improvements, I absolutely hated that ME2's idea of difficulty was just making everyone immune to your powers rather than actually smarter. It's better than ME1's tedious bullet sponges, but still annoying.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
No enemies in ME2 are immune to your powers. Some powers are more effective against certain kinds of defenses than others. Even 'blocked' powers still have a (sometimes very useful) effect. Shockwave is outstanding anti-armour, for example.

ME3 is such tedious poo poo when every power is equally effective in every situation. Where's the strategy? It's just mindlessly pushing a button (with tiny cooldowns) while everything warpslodes.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Lycus posted:

After a while I didn't really bother using the Mako's guns at all except maybe against thresher maws and some of the big geth. In all but like one of my playthroughs I was using a sniper rifle anyway, and those are easier to aim once you get a few points in them.

ME1's combat kinda sucks on any difficulty, but now after like 5 playthroughs I can't play ME2 or 3 on anything but insanity, because it feels too easy otherwise.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

sassassin posted:

No enemies in ME2 are immune to your powers. Some powers are more effective against certain kinds of defenses than others. Even 'blocked' powers still have a (sometimes very useful) effect. Shockwave is outstanding anti-armour, for example.

ME3 is such tedious poo poo when every power is equally effective in every situation. Where's the strategy? It's just mindlessly pushing a button (with tiny cooldowns) while everything warpslodes.

The strategy is "have fun with space magic and space explosions" instead of "your space magic is only really fun when they only have health left and at that point they die within a few seconds of shooting anyways." Throwing a pack of krogans into the stratosphere with Singularity in ME1 was fun, staggering one for two seconds with a fully upgraded push/shockwave/biotic charge/whatever because they have a sliver of armor left is just boring.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 2, 2014

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

sassassin posted:

Yeah, ME2 on Hardcore is probably my favorite way to play the series.

As someone who likes to play as a sniper, the shield gate in ME3 was atrocious.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Lycus posted:

Killing anything with the Mako is far less efficient than gunning it down on foot, so the proper strategy is to get out of the Mako at the start of combat.

reagan posted:

As someone who likes to play as a sniper, the shield gate in ME3 was atrocious.

Play on PC so you can reduce that poo poo. (I like to put it to 75%, just like multiplayer; then it's possible to one-shot more things, but you don't trivialize the mechanic.)

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Zoran posted:

Killing anything with the Mako is far less efficient than gunning it down on foot, so the proper strategy is to get out of the Mako at the start of combat.
That has never been true for me, I think everything dies much faster with the Mako.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kibayasu posted:

The strategy is "have fun with space magic and space explosions" instead of "your space magic is only really fun when they only have health left and at that point they die within a few seconds of shooting anyways." Throwing a pack of krogans into the stratosphere with Singularity in ME1 was fun, staggering one for two seconds with a fully upgraded push/shockwave/biotic charge/whatever because they have a sliver of armor left is just boring.

Wait half a second till your bullets take that shred of shield away then you dope. God forbid enemies put up a fight.

Staggering enemies was useful and fun.

• Locked thread