Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Kabanaw posted:

Looks like they're keeping up with the red temporary card draw thing!

:dealwithit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
M15 is so much better than M14 it's not even funny. You'd think that this set was the big anniversary one and not last year's by how it's come together.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is there any potential for that in, say, a Storm deck?

Way worse than Ideas Unbound, which sees no play.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

whydirt posted:

M15 is so much better than M14 it's not even funny. You'd think that this set was the big anniversary one and not last year's by how it's come together.

I'm pretty sure M14 wasn't even trying to be an anniversary set beyond maybe "slivers :effort:". It was so disappointing.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Ideas Unbound saw a loving ton of play in Pauper, before they banned Grapeshot and Empty the Warrens.

Those are still banned, though, and this isn't a common.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

JerryLee posted:

I'm pretty sure M14 wasn't even trying to be an anniversary set beyond maybe "slivers :effort:". It was so disappointing.
Pretty sure they all just sat around drafting Modern Masters instead of working on M14 or DGM.

It was very important Modern Masters be a beautifully balanced limited environment, after all.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

kingcobweb posted:

Way worse than Ideas Unbound, which sees no play.

Doomsday motherfucker.

Still not as good as Ideas Unbound.

Stoomie
Sep 16, 2008

This and:

seem like very good tools for mono-red aggro to break mid-game board locks after they've run out of gas.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

several people posted:

Ideas Unbound

Even when they finally give Red a gimped version of what Blue gets to do all the time, it's still worse than Blue's own gimped version.

That 3-mana price tag hurts a lot.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
This set has been really good for red so far. It seems like red has a pretty good amount of playables out of this set even though it's a core set. Although, Act on impulse and Aggressive Mining seem like they might compete for the same slot in a deck.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Kabanaw posted:

*screeches of happiness*

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Even when they finally give Red a gimped version of what Blue gets to do all the time, it's still worse than Blue's own gimped version.

That 3-mana price tag hurts a lot.

It's not worse than Ideas in a general sense. If you play a land and a spell off Act on Impulse, you're up two cards. With Ideas, you still have to discard.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

Kabanaw posted:

I like this card, but I just want to see alters and photoshops of this card of what Chandra is seeing in the goggles. Maybe badly drawn mtg fanart or goatse.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

It's not worse than Ideas in a general sense. If you play a land and a spell off Act on Impulse, you're up two cards. With Ideas, you still have to discard.

The discard is never relevant for Ideas Unbound. You win right away.

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
Modern Storm is generally confined by blue mana, so drawing 3 for RRR could be good there. Also of note for Doomsday and the like in Legacy, it doesn't put the cards in your hand, so you can crack an LED afterwards and keep them available. Seems worth testing at least.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Waffleopolis posted:

I like this card, but I just want to see alters and photoshops of this card of what Chandra is seeing in the goggles. Maybe badly drawn mtg fanart or goatse.

Draw Sorin x jace on it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Stoomie posted:

This and:

seem like very good tools for mono-red aggro to break mid-game board locks after they've run out of gas.

If Mono Red Aggro has much more than 3 mana they have probably lost. Seems like a corner case card to me.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Ranpire posted:

Modern Storm is generally confined by blue mana, so drawing 3 for RRR could be good there. Also of note for Doomsday and the like in Legacy, it doesn't put the cards in your hand, so you can crack an LED afterwards and keep them available. Seems worth testing at least.

I play Modern storm and I can tell you right now that this is replacing Desperate Ravings in my build. Most of the time this will only cost 2 and if I can dig that deep into my deck I'm going to be able to play all the cards I draw about 75% of the time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rogue 7 posted:

Scotch Plains, NJ? I used to go to FNM there when I lived nearby. It's a great little store, but I never did come down there for anything casual. As I recall, the "cash promo" thing of theirs is just a random promo from magic's past. They also regularly raffle off pieces of their From The Vault sets, which can be quite cool.

That's the place. Like I said, I like the place. The friend question was hypothetical anyway, because I don't know anyone into magic atm.

mcmagic posted:

Do they get good crowds for FNM? I work about 10 mins away from that store but I've never played there cause I don't live in the area.

You'll have to ask Rogue 7 (above) because the M15 pre-release is going to be the first time I go there for FNM (or first time I go to a FNM, for that matter).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Kabanaw posted:

I might try that in my Modern RDW list, 58/60 of the maindeck costs 1 or less and I would be thrilled to see this on turn four or five when I'm out of gas.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Stoomie posted:

This and:

Upon some preliminary goldfishing this card feels at home in Rw Burn with Young Pyromancers. Eidolon of the Great Revel may take a backseat, or find some hybrid build if it's good enough.

Also obvious but worth noting that Battlefield Forge feels much better than Mana Confluence/Boros Guildgate.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

As requested.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Ramos posted:

As requested.

Oh man, flavor text and everything

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ramos posted:

As requested.

I am playing this in every deck I can now.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Holy poo poo Playmat v2.0!

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Haha, holy poo poo that is brilliant. 10/10

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Ramos posted:

As requested.

Goldmine.

My idea was going to be Grand Prix asscracks but you nailed this one.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Ramos posted:

As requested.
:cripes:

I love/hate this forum sometimes. Also requesting this in playmat size.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

JerryLee posted:

Goldmine.

My idea was going to be Grand Prix asscracks but you nailed this one.

I also had this idea, but Ramos's is better. I'd also like to see it in playmat size.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

You guys will have to wait until larger art comes out then, I pulled that directly off the card.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Rinkles posted:

That's the place. Like I said, I like the place. The friend question was hypothetical anyway, because I don't know anyone into magic atm.

You'll have to ask Rogue 7 (above) because the M15 pre-release is going to be the first time I go there for FNM (or first time I go to a FNM, for that matter).

Last time I went regularly (6 months ago, before I moved to Japan), there were usually around 14 people or so. 4 rounds, top 4 got prizes. Entry fee was 7 bucks and you got a pack for playing. The crowd was pretty casual-I was regularly competitive for prizes with decks I self-designed and invested minimally in.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Oh wow, this makes for an interesting mono-red general for Artifact EDH decks that aren't Bosh.

quote:

So you can use an Ultimate? :stare:

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

bhsman posted:

So you can use an Ultimate? :stare:

You still need the loyalty to activate the ability.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Goddamnit. I am going to hate popping this thing in Limited. Jank unless you're running Superfriends.

It's this set's Champion of Stray Souls.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

What a Judas posted:

You still need the loyalty to activate the ability.

Ah, gotcha. Still, that's a really neat effect.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Well that's a "Play Superfriends" Artifact if I've ever seen one.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
if i'm reading chain veil correctly, this just means you can use an extra loyalty ability that turn, right?

This doesn't let you use loyalty abilities as an instant, right?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Hard to get a read on this. It feels like it has some serious potential, but that's a lot of mana to invest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

First card to reference loyalty abilities if I'm not mistaken.

• Locked thread