Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Deakul posted:

I've just seen the Justice episode of Smallville and I gotta say, this show isn't nearly as awful as I was led to believe. :shrug:

You can't have one nibble of a piece of crust and then tell me the pie tastes fine. You don't know my struggles! Son of a BITCH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ToastyPotato posted:

You can't have one nibble of a piece of crust and then tell me the pie tastes fine. You don't know my struggles! Son of a BITCH.

What if I told you that a character got a magical tattoo and it made her a witch who could do kung fu? You have no idea the awfulness of Smallville.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

What if I told you that a character got a magical tattoo and it made her a witch who could do kung fu? You have no idea the awfulness of Smallville.

...See, most of the things like that make it sound bad in the AWESOME way, rather than the really boring way it was.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

I've seen the entire series. :smithicide:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ToastyPotato posted:

I've seen the entire series. :smithicide:

Me and you both. I am just trying to warn the poor soul who thinks one decent episode is representative of the entire series. Also would you like some stride gum?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Me and you both. I am just trying to warn the poor soul who thinks one decent episode is representative of the entire series. Also would you like some stride gum?

As bad as the Stride Gum thing was, it wasn't as bad as the Tylenol product placement in the last season or so of The Dead Zone.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

ToastyPotato posted:

As bad as the Stride Gum thing was, it wasn't as bad as the Tylenol product placement in the last season or so of The Dead Zone.

Which cannot compare to the delicious combo of snapple and Subway

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...
Smallville was pretty fun for me all the way through but I was watching it with friends and making fun of it the whole time, particularly how bizarrely stupid Clark is. It kind of became a drinking game.

For example Clark has an on again off again girlfriend who can teleport and the effect for it is her turning into a green glowing mote of light then flashing away. No matter what the circumstances, she could literally say, "Do you need anything before I teleport away? No, ok, bye!", Clark always lunges for and tries to grab the speck of light. Whenever he did this we would say, "Ooh, green shiny!". Whoever was last had to drink.

The whole show had a kind of strange lazy stupidity.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I remember in one episode, this guy lost fine motor control in his hands because of a car accident and botched surgery, ruining his potential career as an artist. But he also gained telekinetic powers from the car having Plot Meteor on it, and it's clearly shown later in the episode that he can use this incredible, awe-inducing superhuman ability to paint even better than he used to.

So naturally, he's out for revenge.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Lurdiak posted:

I remember in one episode, this guy lost fine motor control in his hands because of a car accident and botched surgery, ruining his potential career as an artist. But he also gained telekinetic powers from the car having Plot Meteor on it, and it's clearly shown later in the episode that he can use this incredible, awe-inducing superhuman ability to paint even better than he used to.

That sounds so close to Dr. Strange but just misses it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think it had Jonathan Taylor Thomas as essentially Parasite.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Constantine pilot was ok, bordering on pretty good. There's a really stupid Dr. Fate shout-out that feels totally out of place. There's way too heavy a reliance on "whoa magic is happening!" rather than the intrinsic anti-hero appeal of Constantine a'la House. The companion character is so stock it's almost insulting. It also takes a major piece of Constantine lore and totally blows its load like fifteen minutes into the pilot when it could have been spaced out over a season. Oh, and the whole "we can't show him smoking so we'll show him right as he's putting the cigarette out" schtick is stupid-- they're better off just not showing that at all.

Still, the lead is good enough. The special effects look good. Constantine is way too nice but is still shown to be a world class rear end in a top hat in service of his own goals which is appropriate.

If it weren't on the Friday Night Death Slot I'd say this show could have a chance. As it stands I expect it to only last a season. It just doesn't have anything magnetic enough to draw the crowds necessary to make NBC give a poo poo, even though it's far better already than Smallville ever was.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

mind the walrus posted:

The Constantine pilot was ok, bordering on pretty good. There's a really stupid Dr. Fate shout-out that feels totally out of place. There's way too heavy a reliance on "whoa magic is happening!" rather than the intrinsic anti-hero appeal of Constantine a'la House. The companion character is so stock it's almost insulting. It also takes a major piece of Constantine lore and totally blows its load like fifteen minutes into the pilot when it could have been spaced out over a season. Oh, and the whole "we can't show him smoking so we'll show him right as he's putting the cigarette out" schtick is stupid-- they're better off just not showing that at all.

Still, the lead is good enough. The special effects look good. Constantine is way too nice but is still shown to be a world class rear end in a top hat in service of his own goals which is appropriate.

If it weren't on the Friday Night Death Slot I'd say this show could have a chance. As it stands I expect it to only last a season. It just doesn't have anything magnetic enough to draw the crowds necessary to make NBC give a poo poo, even though it's far better already than Smallville ever was.

I don't think Friday night is the death slot anymore. Hannibal and Grimm are both doing fantastic.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I hope you're right, but I'll believe it when there's a second season order. And I hope there is. Despite many many quibbles I found myself genuinely enjoying a lot of the pilot and thought there was enough potential for a really good show to come out of it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

In the age of DVRs and OnDemand is there even a death slot anymore?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

ToastyPotato posted:

I've watched the entire series up to this episode, man.
I've gotten through the tattoo witch shenanigans.
Surely I'm past the worst it has to offer?

I'm somehow still finding the show watchable if only for the comic references and wanting to see what else it has in store, I hear Darkseid shows up at some point so that has me pretty excited!
Also Erica Durance as Lois is some inspired casting.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 1, 2014

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Constantine pilot was pretty decent. Certainly better than a lot of other stuff that tries to hop on this kind of bandwagon. But I still felt like some of the beats were a bit forced, like they're trying to get you to feel these great tragic moments deep in your soul without having really earned those moments.

I still think the lead actress is pretty dire...but on the other hand Matt Ryan is selling the hell out of this guy.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Opopanax posted:

In the age of DVRs and OnDemand is there even a death slot anymore?

There kind-of is, I think. I'm pretty sure most networks are still a fair step behind in calculating actual total viewership based on things like DVR and Hulu, so while they take those into account a lot more now they still look to the old-fashioned ratings system as the main guide for keeping a show on the air or not, unless there's exceptional evidence of ratings off-air.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

mind the walrus posted:

There kind-of is, I think. I'm pretty sure most networks are still a fair step behind in calculating actual total viewership based on things like DVR and Hulu, so while they take those into account a lot more now they still look to the old-fashioned ratings system as the main guide for keeping a show on the air or not, unless there's exceptional evidence of ratings off-air.

They can calculate them just fine, it's just that advertisers don't care about DVR views because they correctly assume people are skipping commercials.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Lurdiak posted:

That is my favorite episode of the X-Files.

bobkatt013 posted:

That is my other favorite episode of the X-Files.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I dove headfirst into Smallville when Doomsday Starkiller was added because the idea of a low budget Doomsday (who was basically Hulk) was so surreal. I really should've quit when the ultimate fight consisted of three punches and then a cut to Clark saying, "I buried him in the ground. Off camera." But no I just had to keep torturing myself with bad Zod plots and a Darkseid made of crows :(

Daniel Jackson was a pretty badass Hawkman, though.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

Medullah posted:

I don't think Friday night is the death slot anymore. Hannibal and Grimm are both doing fantastic.

It's essentially a perfect fit for Friday night - and yeah, the whole "death slot" image it has had for a long time is pretty much a thing of the past.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I don't know about Grimm, but Hannibal definitely wasn't doing fantastic as far as I know in terms of ratings. It was just getting a ton of buzz because a lot of people that initially passed on it during season 1 came around to give it a chance and got hooked, but iirc it was still only pulling like a .8-1.0 for most of the season.

I think it's less that DVRs have killed the death slot and more that channels have learned that there's some value in supporting a show that has a clear and dedicated following, even if they don't pull in crazy numbers. I imagine the idea is that you make up a lot of that ad money in later DVD/blu-ray sales and possibly syndication.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
CONSTANTINE PILOT SPOILERS http://imgur.com/QaAmuLr Is loving Pandora's Box? :stare:

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Good lord I hope not.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Deakul posted:

I've just seen the Justice episode of Smallville and I gotta say, this show isn't nearly as awful as I was led to believe. :shrug:

It's not. There's some good stuff in Smallville. There's also some really bad stuff and some stupid stuff. The magic of Smallville is that all of those happen at the same time.
It's the only show I've watched where they needed to change showrunners in it's 8th season and they went "Hey, maybe we should make the main character proactive now?"

Amazing.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Sanschel posted:

Daniel Jackson was a pretty badass Hawkman, though.

With very small wings.

Pudgy Dr. Fate was hilarious though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Yannick_B posted:

It's not. There's some good stuff in Smallville. There's also some really bad stuff and some stupid stuff. The magic of Smallville is that all of those happen at the same time.
It's the only show I've watched where they needed to change showrunners in it's 8th season and they went "Hey, maybe we should make the main character proactive now?"

Amazing.

But, people will find out about his powers! And why does HE have to be the one to save everyone all the time*!

*May or may not have had help in most prior cases of saving... if he acted at all.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Not technically comics, but Neil Gaiman's American Gods has been optioned by Starz and Bryan Fuller is working on it.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Jack Skeleton posted:

I did enjoy it, even without the chance of ever seeing Wally on this show.

Why do say that? There wasn't any mention of Iris being an only child or anything in the pilot. And even if so I have a feeling they'll change it so that Wally is her cousin so he can be closer in age to the others if/when he ever shows up. and they won't have to deal with like an 8 year old kid or anything.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bbf2 posted:

Why do say that? There wasn't any mention of Iris being an only child or anything in the pilot. And even if so I have a feeling they'll change it so that Wally is her cousin so he can be closer in age to the others if/when he ever shows up. and they won't have to deal with like an 8 year old kid or anything.

I think he means as The Flash.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I am not excited at the prospect of generic black male teen with troubled past, criminal record but heart of gold looking for a father figure who is dressed like a robot for some reason Wally showing up in The Flash Show.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Although it was kinda weird that Wally's bride-to-be was already in her early 40s (check the news report).

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

I lurk this thread on occasion, but I gotta say that after watching the Constantine pilot that I really didn't like it. Too much of it felt just not great. There's some good base that's built though, the guy they cast for Constantine is pretty good in the role from the looks of it, and Harold Perrineau. I'm not willing to write it off entirely due to just the pilot, though.

But I'm the kind of monster who liked the Constantine movie, so maybe I'm just in the minority on all things.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You need a cultural enema

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The Constantine movie is fine if you forget it is trying to adapt a comic book. It isn't a masterpiece but it is far from unwatchable and unenjoyable, unless you just hate Keanu and Shia Lebouf.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Honestly the Constantine movie was way more accurate to the look and feel of Hellblazer comics than many fans will admit. Even Keanu, despite being totally miscast, is clearly putting in a lot of effort to be John Constantine and totally nails the "unrepentant rear end in a top hat" side of the character even if he's incapable of the British charm. Sure there's some stuff like Shia LeBeouf needing to removed from the movie, but overall it's a much fairer treatment of the character and his world than the reputation would suggest. Plus it has Papa loving Midnite.

The Constantine Pilot by contrast has a lot to work on. It's not a trainwreck, but everything from the lead to the look to the apparent grand plans all need some heavy elbow grease.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

ToastyPotato posted:

The Constantine movie is fine if you forget it is trying to adapt a comic book. It isn't a masterpiece but it is far from unwatchable and unenjoyable, unless you just hate Keanu and Shia Lebouf.

I didn't have a whole lot of trouble forgetting that that it was trying to adapt a comic book! I did forget that Shia Lebouf was in it though.

Rocksicles posted:

You need a cultural enema

I probably do. It does have some good things going for it though! Reeves (I enjoy him at least, I dunno), Tilda Swinton, Peter Stormare, and some of the scenes looked good.

And it has smoking which is more than you could say about the television show. :v:

e: Oh drat yeah, and Papa Midnite was awesome.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
As a smoker who is trying to quit, i don't give a square gently caress about him not smoking. More than happy just to have it suggested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Peter Stormare and Tilda Swinton >>>> anything in that Constantine pilot, I'm sorry.