Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I can reliably get to the fourth section, but if I get past that, the fifth part just kills me. So close, yet so far. :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
My first go on that boss will be my favorite thing ever. The utter confusion at what was even happening was magic.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
In regards to the final verse...
I don't think it's technically TOO difficult. It really does help having a background in music, as subdividing is really helping me. Until I get to One's section anyway, there's a pattern of notes that ALWAYS throws me off. I think I'm hitting two notes in rapid succession but apparently I miss one and fail.

This really is something else though.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
This is the video I used, it was linked to in the thread a while back and I bookmarked it because I figured I'd probably need it: Timing video for the Final Verse

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I just got to the last boss.
oh god this is insane. how do I do the 8 hit notes? I tried just mashing one button but I died. are there intervals between pushes?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Sefal posted:

oh god this is insane. how do I do the 8 hit notes? I tried just mashing one button but I died. are there intervals between pushes?

All buttons do the same thing so try alternating between two.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Squallege posted:

All buttons do the same thing so try alternating between two.

I did this without ever alternating. Square was really good for me.

Also managed the platinum. That was a really fun game.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Lunethex posted:

I'm at the rhythm game. Maybe someday I will conquer the flower.

:smith:

Drakengard 3 is a metaphor for virginity

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I've resorted to using the video. I still keep messing up on the 6+1 note and 8 notes
How should I be pressing them. I keep mashing square but that gets me killed. So I tried doing it in this fashion
XX_XX_XX_XX pausing after every 2 hits, got me through the 1st 8 hit note, but killed me at 6+1

Are there any tips on how to handle those notes?

I use 1 button. because I think the problem is I hit them too fast.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Sefal posted:

Do not mash the button, just press it eight times somewhat quickly.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
OMG YES I finally beat it.

Wow, I don't have words for how unbelievable that boss was.
The worst part is, I actually like it.
I will be replaying this boss every now and then.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

And that's Branch D finished.

I'll have to write up my thoughts later. For now... I think I'll just savor the silence.

Edit: And I've got the Platinum now. I can finally stop playing. :unsmith:

That said... I really think I enjoyed the whole experience, warts and all. Yeah, there's some lovely controls and a lovely camera and other assorted flaws, but in retrospect, they don't really bother me all that much. In a way, I appreciate the game's flaws, because they help strike a nice contrast to the bits I did enjoy.

Also, for anyone who's working on the Ruler of the Skies trophy, I found Chapter 5, Verse 1 to be easier than Chapter 2, Verse 6. There's fewer enemies to shoot down, and they're in a more confined area which makes lining up shots easier. C2V6, it always seemed like I'd inevitably miss at least one wyvern out on the edge of a formation with the lock-on function, which would ruin the attempt.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 27, 2014

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Alright so how does (for the Ending A route) first chapter of a Verse, translated short story thing, rest of the Verse, Prologue DLC epilogue sound for a format for a LP of the game in a few months?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The Dark Id posted:

Alright so how does (for the Ending A route) first chapter of a Verse, translated short story thing, rest of the Verse, Prologue DLC epilogue sound for a format for a LP of the game in a few months?
I still haven't gotten around to playing this, since I'm still going through NeiR, but doesn't the prequel DLC stuff contain spoilers for the main game? If not, then it sounds like a plan to me.

nth Term
Nov 6, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

You should probably hold off on One's DLC until after ending A. It doesn't really spoil the ending, but it deals with brother One.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I gave up on the final boss, I can get to where the melody slows down at the end of phase 7 but not on every attempt, and the last 2 pulses are just silly

I really liked that fight thematically but uhh

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The Dark Id posted:

So, you mean something like (I'll use Four's verse as an example): Chapter 1, Four's Story, remaining chapters, Four's DLC?

Probably best to save One's DLC till after Ending A, and Zero's until after the formal introduction of Accord maybe? Or even at the start of B? That the narrative jumps around doesn't make things easy does it?

On another note, do you need any artwork from the artbook? I've still got to scan One's stuff, and there's some location art I didn't touch. And things like the map of Not-Europe, and the DrakeNier ending routes charts.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jun 27, 2014

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sefal posted:

XX_XX_XX_XX pausing after every 2 hits, got me through the 1st 8 hit note, but killed me at 6+1
That's it. The 6+1 is actually just an 8 with the seventh note missing, it's the same rhythm.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Is the DLC worth it?
I got one's DLC through the pre order, but 30 bucks for the DLC seems just a bit too much.
I am craving more Drakengard though.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Now I haven't played Zero's DLC but having played the DLC for 1-5 I don't think it's really worth 30 bucks. It's handy for bucket loads of in game cash though.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Sefal posted:

Is the DLC worth it?
I got one's DLC through the pre order, but 30 bucks for the DLC seems just a bit too much.
I am craving more Drakengard though.

I'm not sure it's worth 30 bucks, but I enjoyed most of the DLC more than the main game.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

The Dark Id posted:

That sounds reasonable. That said, I think it'd probably be better to hold off on Zero's DLC chapter until after Branch D, Verse 7. It's a fairly long wait, but I think it works best there thematically, since D7 is where we finally learn the truth about the Flower and the Intoners. Since Zero's DLC is about how she met Michael, it makes sense for it to follow from there.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Pesky Splinter posted:

So, you mean something like (I'll use Four's verse as an example): Chapter 1, Four's Story, remaining chapters, Four's DLC?

Probably best to save One's DLC till after Ending A, and Zero's until after the formal introduction of Accord maybe? Or even at the start of B? That the narrative jumps around doesn't make things easy does it?

On another note, do you need any artwork from the artbook? I've still got to scan One's stuff, and there's some location art I didn't touch. And things like the map of Not-Europe, and the DrakeNier ending routes charts.

I... that's kind of what I meant by the format.

Intro stage. Short story. Rest of the chapter (for instance in One's case I'd finish out Ending A prior to it.) Prologue DLC.

W.T. Fits posted:

That sounds reasonable. That said, I think it'd probably be better to hold off on Zero's DLC chapter until after Branch D, Verse 7. It's a fairly long wait, but I think it works best there thematically, since D7 is where we finally learn the truth about the Flower and the Intoners. Since Zero's DLC is about how she met Michael, it makes sense for it to follow from there.

Yeah Zero is an outlier I'd wait on like you suggest. But the rest seem kosher, unless I'm forgetting something.

I'm just trying to get my poo poo together for this last one well in advance without the universe finding a way to poo poo on my head again. :smith:

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 28, 2014

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The Dark Id posted:

Yeah, sorry. Just trying to clarify it in my head. :shobon:

The Dark Id posted:

I'm just trying to get my poo poo together for this last one well in advance without the universe finding a way to poo poo on my head again. :smith:

It'll all work out in the end. :unsmith:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Flavahbeast posted:

I gave up on the final boss, I can get to where the melody slows down at the end of phase 7 but not on every attempt, and the last 2 pulses are just silly

I really liked that fight thematically but uhh

ok its actually pretty easy with the cheat vid

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

The Dark Id posted:

Intro stage. Short story. Rest of the chapter (for instance in One's case I'd finish out Ending A prior to it.) Prologue DLC.

Yeah Zero is an outlier I'd wait on like you suggest. But the rest seem kosher, unless I'm forgetting something.

You also may want to sprinkle the "Memoirs of the Intoners" stories in each of the respective sister's chapter.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So in regards to the final battle, is the game implying that Zero ended up being resurrected as the Grotesquerie Queen from the original game? Also, just as a side note this seems to be the only game in the series where the world DOESN'T get hosed up at some point (Well maybe NEIR, but in that case the damage had already been done before the game started).

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

^ Don't forget in Nier because he killed the Shadowlord it'll cause the rest of humanity(Replicants) to die out and all the shades will go mad. Also notice that he didn't really cure his daughter, just saved her from the shadowlord.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Larryb posted:

So in regards to the final battle, is the game implying that Zero ended up being resurrected as the Grotesquerie Queen from the original game?

I don't think so. My understanding of the various branch endings is:

Branch A - Zero and her sisters all die, Mikhail dies, and Brother One founds the Cult of the Watchers. Manah and Seere are descendants of his. This is the branch that leads to the normal Drakengard timeline (including Nier, since Drakengard Ending A and E are both canon).

Branch B - Zero's sisters all die, Zero creates the first Pact to save Mikhail, which somehow infects him with the flower. Not really sure how this one fits in overall, other than it's apparently the origin of Pacts.

Branch C - Zero's sisters are all dead, but so is Mikhail. Zero is unable to kill herself and can't find a new dragon to take Mikhail's place, which eventually leads to her succumbing to the flower, transforming into a Grotesquerie Queen and destroying the world. That's why Accord seals this branch off.

Branch D - Zero kills her sisters, absorbs their power and begins transforming into a Grotesquerie Queen, but Mikhail is able to defeat her/it/them and seal off the remains in an alternate plane of existence. This creates the Drakengard 1.3 timeline mentioned in the Japanese collector's edition book.

TL;DR - No, Zero's not the Grotesquerie Queen from the end of the first game since Mikhail already destroyed her at the end of Branch D.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

W.T. Fits posted:

I don't think so. My understanding of the various branch endings is:

According to the little timeline thing in the Record of Flower, Branch A leads directly into the new Drakengard 1.3 timeline. The other branches aren't shown what they're connected to.
It all leads to the world of Nier being hosed over, in any case.

Flip what you said A and D connect to and I'd agree with what you said about the branches.

Though with that way, you could argue that Zero could still potentially be the Grotesquerie Queen, or, that it's a remnant of what Mikhail sealed away or something, and when the seals were broken, it forced its way through. That's just pure conjecture on my part though.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 1, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Larryb posted:

Also, just as a side note this seems to be the only game in the series where the world DOESN'T get hosed up at some point

Nope, world still ends up hosed. A short story featuring Mikhail in the timeline after her kills zero talks about how humanity ends up building killer robots and destroying themselves. So, ultimately, humans are still doomed it's just that we end up killing ourselves with robots instead of the intoners wiping us out. Also: Mikhail dies of old age alone and sad.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 2, 2014

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Seriously? Oh god, does Taro Yoko ever relent in his nihilism? Do you have a link to a translation, by the way?
e: V It's actually... Not that bad? I mean he mentions coming accross humans and never gives up on trying to make the world a better place, before passing away of old age, which is probably a first in this world?. Thanks for the link, anyway.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 1, 2014

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Iceclaw posted:

Seriously? Oh god, does Taro Yoko ever relent in his nihilism? Do you have a link to a translation, by the way?
It's one of the stories unlocked from the DLC.
:siren:Spoiler:siren:
:smith:

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

What makes you think that that's a death from old age? It looks pretty much like he's just been brutally injured, considering the weather is "Fire", and he describes his body as broken. It doesn't seem like a peaceful death at all!

So, as before, Taro Yoko.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Kurui Reiten posted:

What makes you think that that's a death from old age? It looks pretty much like he's just been brutally injured, considering the weather is "Fire", and he describes his body as broken. It doesn't seem like a peaceful death at all!

So, as before, Taro Yoko.

Because he mentions holes in his memory and not needing to fight nowaday?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Iceclaw posted:

Because he mentions holes in his memory and not needing to fight nowaday?

I'm pretty sure the reason he doesn't need to fight anymore is because everyone else is dead. The world is burning down around him. It's the end of everything and nothing he or Zero did or could have done would have stopped it. All they did was prolong humanities suffering before its inevitable demise. Drakengard!

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
The only lesson to be learned from Taro Yoko is that life is suffering, and only death can bring release. Hopefully.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I do want to say that you should buy the dlc if you're insane enough to plat the game. You'll get something like 3 million gold and maybe almost a million dollars worth of base material if you play through it and grab all the gold chests.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ineffiable posted:

I do want to say that you should buy the dlc if you're insane enough to plat the game. You'll get something like 3 million gold and maybe almost a million dollars worth of base material if you play through it and grab all the gold chests.
Good to see the fine tradition of Nier continues! At least it's not loving Eagle Egg farming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
"Alright. I can do the LP in a month and change or so. I got my HD capture device and some free time. Maybe I can do an early backlo--" *HURRICANE*

gently caress sake!

• Locked thread