Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I like Daedelus from the Original Megami Tensei.

Raidous has some great battle songs.

On the Persona front, I love the Nichirinmaru theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Million Ghosts posted:

Best title.

SMT thread, I have $10 sitting on my PSN right now, do I go for DDS or Raidou 2? Already have Nocturne and Raidou 1.

Raidou 2.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Million Ghosts posted:

Best title.

SMT thread, I have $10 sitting on my PSN right now, do I go for DDS or Raidou 2? Already have Nocturne and Raidou 1.

Neither. Wait for a sale and get both, it should only take a month or two given Atlus' track record.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
But I'm bored right noooow, and I think I trust Walter more than Ocelot.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Million Ghosts posted:

But I'm bored right noooow, and I think I trust Walter more than Ocelot.

Raidou 2 is good, buy it.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Depends if you want cannibalism or more detective adventures. Personally I'd get DDS since it's unique even if Raidou 2 is a massive improvement over the first game.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Raidou 2 has the most interesting evolution of "Hit the weakpoint for bonuses" system to date. On the other hand, the game's tight budget is quite apparent.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Overwhelming support in the name of Raidou, just what I expected.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
Not to add to the general sentiment but over the past month I played through all of Raidou 2 and DDS 1 for the first time.
Raidou 2 was definitely a much more fun game. It has a pretty neat action battle system which is a lot better than what I have seen of the first game, combined with all the usual SMT stuff.
DDS is great as usual from an aesthetic/thematic perspective but it is really hurt by the lack of all the demon centric mechanics which are the hallmark of the series. You will probably want to get both games because the story of the first one raises a lot of questions which are not answered until the second.
On a side note, I am kind of debating if I want to get DDS 2, the story is probably better experienced in the real game rather than just reading an LP, but I find the game to be honestly a bit dull.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Is there anything actually in the Monad dungeon? The enemies give huge amounts of XP, but i've done about 8 levels and i just cannot get any further without running past every enemy because they just destroy me.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

UberJumper posted:

Is there anything actually in the Monad dungeon? The enemies give huge amounts of XP, but i've done about 8 levels and i just cannot get any further without running past every enemy because they just destroy me.

A million yen at the top I believe, and a bonus boss in NG+

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

UberJumper posted:

If that's the dungeon I think it is, the golden chests that occasionally spawn give the ultimate weapons.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

UberJumper posted:

One of Elizabeth/Theodore's requests involves fighting a bonus boss at the end of the dungeon. The enemies are in fact pretty tough: the best thing to do is learn the enemies' weaknesses, hit them from behind for Player Advantage whenever you have to fight and try not to let them get a turn at all.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Is also a godsend for level grinding, I took all the characters to level 99 on a few hours

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

alcharagia posted:

This feeling will not be lasting.

I liked Strange Journey the whole way through. :shrug: People made the later dungeons out to be hard/confusing but they're really not.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Don't listen to the haters.

Strange Journey is the bee's knees. I swear to God, if I could adapt any video game into a movie, I'd adapt Strange Journey and somehow it would loving work.

But I mean, the game is kind of like that one chick who got that fine rear end but she like "you can hit this but I'm gonna bite you during" and you're like "well I don't mind so much" and at first it's kind of sexy but then she just keeps biting and biting but you gotta keep going 'cause she won't let go and at the end it all just hurts and you're bleeding and weeping but you just can't stop and you can't tell if it's finally over or you just passed out from the pain and blood loss.

God I love that game.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I managed to beat Kenji way easier than Pluto thanks to gratuitous Tetrakarn spam. I'd still say I needed about five tries though.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I loved Strange Journey more than almost any SMT game I've ever played. Not sure. It might be the top.

A big part of that IS the fact that its dungeons are unconventional mazes with multiple dimensions, dark areas, treadmills, teleportation mazes and drop holes. You are not just dungeon crawling, you are exploring. That said, some of the later dungeons are like being attacked by Shitload the Demon from "John Dies at the End," a monster who knows five different deathblows and they are all a variation on kicking you in the crotch.

Also unlike SMTIV demons don't give random responses to questions, you can actually figure them out pretty well after a while.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Got Neutral! :toot:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Law is better :colbert:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That has never been true in any game of this series.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

That has never been true in any game of this series.

It's totally true for SMTIV, since the Chaos ending blows and the Neutral ending means you have to put up with Tokyo and its demons and bullshit forever.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Not sure we played the same game, because your spoiler is true for every ending. They show the end result of the Chaos and Law endings well before you're stuck on one path. Chaos and Law are hilariously terrible choices in SMT4 even more than usual.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

Not sure we played the same game, because your spoiler is true for every ending. They show the end result of the Chaos and Law endings well before you're stuck on one path. Chaos and Law are hilariously terrible choices in SMT4 even more than usual.

What are you talking about? Don't you totally remove Tokyo from existence via the Yamato Reactor, guaranteeing everyone in Mikado happy, peaceful lives? I thought that Blasted/Infernal Tokyo were what would happen if you didn't intervene at all, because neither result seems to pan out quite that way in their respective endings.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

They're basically telling you "hey these are both really loving stupid, don't choose them". You being there or not doesn't change that. You're basically just agreeing that those are acceptable end results.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Bit late to the SMT music is great talk but...

I choose my main in P4A because of her theme, not because I actually like the character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1gKOdHGxGk :allears:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Speedball posted:

I loved Strange Journey more than almost any SMT game I've ever played. Not sure. It might be the top.

A big part of that IS the fact that its dungeons are unconventional mazes with multiple dimensions, dark areas, treadmills, teleportation mazes and drop holes. You are not just dungeon crawling, you are exploring. That said, some of the later dungeons are like being attacked by Shitload the Demon from "John Dies at the End," a monster who knows five different deathblows and they are all a variation on kicking you in the crotch.

Also unlike SMTIV demons don't give random responses to questions, you can actually figure them out pretty well after a while.

This sums it up for me, I love Strange Journey probably the most of any SMT game I've played. That said, Eridanus really does suck, especially the teleportation maze with holes, especially if you're insane like me and went for the "Map every square of the game" achievement.

But yeah I feel like demon conversations is way better in SJ than in IV, since in SJ demons have particular personalities and tend to favor certain responses over others. There's the odd demon that breaks the mold but by and large giving a particular response is usually going to be favorable. That's why I don't like conversations in IV, because there's no way to figure out what demons want to hear, it's a complete crapshoot. Especially when they give you questions you can't win at.

"Who's stronger, demons or humans?"

>Demons
>Demons
>Demons

Started playing Devil Survivor Overclocked because I bought it when it was on sale a while back. I'm enjoying it so far, although I don't much care for the Auction system, is there ever a situation where you don't end up in a Final Bid which makes the whole "auction" thing literally pointless? I honestly don't understand the point of the five second bidding process because if someone makes another bid you just end up going to Final Bid anyway, so why not just make the auction the Final Bid thing in the first place? It seems pretty dumb, just a waste of time. It's also nowhere near as satisfying as conversations, or even the rare instance of having a demon join you out of nowhere in combat.

The Skill Crack system seems sort of neat, I'm not 100% sure how it works though since I had my main character set to learn a skill from an enemy, and the crack just kind of "went away." The enemy was still on the map, another character didn't defeat it (I know that prevents you from cracking the skill, if the wrong team defeats the enemy), but the enemy was no longer listed as being a target for a Skill Crack by the end of combat, so not sure what happened there.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Demon negotiation is way easier in IV than Strange Journey from how I remember playing. You usually don't even have to answer more than one question and then you can start giving items. Just give two and then end talks, it worked almost every time for me.

As for questions like that, they're random, but I have absolutely give the same answer to a demon in Strange Journey and gotten two different results.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Started playing Devil Survivor Overclocked because I bought it when it was on sale a while back. I'm enjoying it so far, although I don't much care for the Auction system, is there ever a situation where you don't end up in a Final Bid which makes the whole "auction" thing literally pointless? I honestly don't understand the point of the five second bidding process because if someone makes another bid you just end up going to Final Bid anyway, so why not just make the auction the Final Bid thing in the first place? It seems pretty dumb, just a waste of time. It's also nowhere near as satisfying as conversations, or even the rare instance of having a demon join you out of nowhere in combat.

It's absolutely possible to get all the other bidders to drop out, and when you can pull it off it's generally cheaper and more reliable than going to a final bid. You'll have to hammer the bid button pretty fast to make it happen, though -- you do know you can bid multiple times in the five seconds, right?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Alabaster White posted:

What are you talking about? Don't you totally remove Tokyo from existence via the Yamato Reactor, guaranteeing everyone in Mikado happy, peaceful lives? I thought that Blasted/Infernal Tokyo were what would happen if you didn't intervene at all, because neither result seems to pan out quite that way in their respective endings.

Blasted/Infernal Tokyo are alternate universes based not on the present (you not interferring), but on the choices Flynn's past life made, which is the same one Masakado references when he says Flynn has been reincarnated.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Blasted/Infernal Tokyo are alternate universes based not on the present (you not interferring), but on the choices Flynn's past life made, which is the same one Masakado references when he says Flynn has been reincarnated.

Is this only confirmed in the Neutral ending? I always figured that's what was going on but never saw any confirmation on my law or chaos playthroughs. Blasted and Infernal tokyo are really cool thematically it really makes it seem like SMTIV is the sequel to a game that never got made.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

UberJumper posted:

I'm pretty sure you were just 2 floors away from the top anyway.
Monad is a great place for grinding though. Even once found a Skadi there and I thought she was fusion only.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Speedball posted:

This sounds a lot like SMT II, which I just beat a few weeks ago. Most the bosses were pretty easy but the ones that did gently caress you, hosed you. And towards the end I just said gently caress it on most dungeons and used a guide.

Overall though, I can see where people who are not huge fans of first person dungeon crawlers and have not played the SNES games would see some of that and go 'forget that, that is garbage' but

BottledBodhisvata posted:

But I mean, the game is kind of like that one chick who got that fine rear end but she like "you can hit this but I'm gonna bite you during" and you're like "well I don't mind so much" and at first it's kind of sexy but then she just keeps biting and biting

describes what it can be like pretty well.

All in all, the set up to SJ is one of the most engaging and interesting of the SMT franchise, and I can tell that an effort was made to make this appealing internationally because its working. All in all, I like this a lot more right now than I did Soul Hackers, ever.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Alteisen posted:

Bit late to the SMT music is great talk but...

I choose my main in P4A because of her theme, not because I actually like the character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1gKOdHGxGk :allears:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Twelve by Pies posted:

The Skill Crack system seems sort of neat, I'm not 100% sure how it works though since I had my main character set to learn a skill from an enemy, and the crack just kind of "went away." The enemy was still on the map, another character didn't defeat it (I know that prevents you from cracking the skill, if the wrong team defeats the enemy), but the enemy was no longer listed as being a target for a Skill Crack by the end of combat, so not sure what happened there.

That doesn't happen. You probably did kill it with the wrong team by accident, and then looked at an identical demon that wasn't set to crack or something. Or maybe just the latter.

As for auction stuff, press X to buy the demon immediately without auction. Come the 3rd Day, you won't even need that since you'll have the compendium then.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Thuryl posted:

It's absolutely possible to get all the other bidders to drop out, and when you can pull it off it's generally cheaper and more reliable than going to a final bid. You'll have to hammer the bid button pretty fast to make it happen, though -- you do know you can bid multiple times in the five seconds, right?

I know I can bid multiple times, I just didn't think of hammering the bid button. I was treating it like, well, basically like a regular auction. Or at least like the one from Wind Waker.

Dragonatrix posted:

That doesn't happen. You probably did kill it with the wrong team by accident, and then looked at an identical demon that wasn't set to crack or something. Or maybe just the latter.

Nah I figured out what the problem was when I did another random battle last night. I wasn't aware all the humans share the same skill list, so what had happened was I had Yuzu and MC both set to learn Bufu from two different enemy groups. Yuzu beat her group first and cracked Bufu, which is why the MC's crack on a different team went away since I had already learned that skill.

quote:

As for auction stuff, press X to buy the demon immediately without auction. Come the 3rd Day, you won't even need that since you'll have the compendium then.

Oh I know about the "buy now" button, it's just that it's fairly expensive. I was able to pick up two demons from the auction right away by bidding, whereas if I used buy now I would have only been able to afford one. I know that I can choose to default but I'm not exactly sure what the penalties for that are, so I was trying not to have to go that route.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I'm on like my fourth run, trying to grind enough to beat the secret bonus boss. I still couldn't tell you what the auction rating does.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
if you had your own persona which one would you pick and what would your arcana be? :3:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

Come the 3rd Day, you won't even need that since you'll have the compendium then.

I really hate it when they bar you from stuff like the compendium for so long. Why even bother?

Excels posted:

if you had your own persona which one would you pick and what would your arcana be? :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Captain Walker posted:

I'm on like my fourth run, trying to grind enough to beat the secret bonus boss. I still couldn't tell you what the auction rating does.

If it's high enough, you can access new tiers in the auction at later days. Getting it high enough lets you grab the Occult tier which sells Mitamas and Pixies/Kobolds/etc in bulk.