Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The Carbon Tax posted:

I suspect they're not actually cobalt through and through - I've snapped enough cobalt bits to know how brittle they are, and reserve their use for when HSS won't do.

If you bought them from someone doing a live demo it may be some kind of cobalt wonder-coating. Have you got a brand name?
:q:

Gonna laugh if it's this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Lol.

The Carbon Tax posted:

I suspect they're not actually cobalt through and through - I've snapped enough cobalt bits to know how brittle they are, and reserve their use for when HSS won't do.

If you bought them from someone doing a live demo it may be some kind of cobalt wonder-coating. Have you got a brand name?

http://www.drillalldrillbits.com/page3.htm
Seems like just the tips are cobalt and they're designed to grind their way through anything rather than bore.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Colour is right for Cobalt, but those tips are very much tungsten carbide inserts. Tungstens sharpened properly are absolutely stunning at drilling stupidly hard steel- like leaf springs, but im not sure how well they would go on other materials.

I've got a few Cobalts for doing steel work, but mostly in the "pilot hole sizes"- so 2-4-6mm, then the rest are just HSS. I want a set of Sutton Viper bits. http://www.sutton.com.au/Products/drills/jobberviperbitd105/

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cakefool posted:

Lol.

http://www.drillalldrillbits.com/page3.htm
Seems like just the tips are cobalt and they're designed to grind their way through anything rather than bore.

those are masonry bits, they should power through concrete/ceramics.

edit, just read the webpage about them, seems a bit dubious to me but they claim they'll drill steel. i would just go get a normal set of drill bits for metal though

echomadman fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 2, 2014

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010

iForge posted:

For wrenching clothes, I have a pair of FR coveralls that I "borrowed" from the refinery. When they get too dirty I'll take them back to be washed and bring a new pair home. gently caress putting oily clothes in my home washing machine.

I just take them to the laundromat and wash them there, and then dry them at the house. Along with any used rags or any other stuff that needs to get washed from the garage. It's worth the 2.50 or whatever.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I paid a whopping $100 for my washing machine on craigslist, so I spray my wrenching clothes with brakleen and toss em in the wash.

Yes, I know, it's flammable. I've always wanted to see a washing machine explode.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

kastein posted:

Yes, I know, it's flammable. I've always wanted to see a washing machine explode.

That would solve your rotten house problems once and for all.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

kastein posted:

I paid a whopping $100 for my washing machine on craigslist, so I spray my wrenching clothes with brakleen and toss em in the wash.

If you ever want to see a dryer explode just open up the back and spray some WD-40 on the squeaky motor. It'll singe off your armhair and you may piss yourself though.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

thegasman2000 posted:

So it's Father's Day and the mrs wants to know what I want other than a blowie and England to win a football match. I am about to start a mini restoration. Like a resto on a mini not a little resto. Anyway I digress. I have basic spammers and sockets for the job and a half decent tool chest. What's next on the list? A set of ramps? Torque wrench? Not rebuilding the engine unless it fubared. Have a mig welder .

Sup Mini buddy?

Jacking up an old-school Mini can be a PITA. The best points are on the subframe, but the front crossbar is angled. THe rear subframe is pretty easy to work with.

For working under the front, however, fear not. Make yourself a jacking block.

I made one out of some treated lumber (a cut-off piece of 4x4 IIRC)

This dude's image set has plenty of pictures and dimensions specs.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Pflashinaz/library/Jack%20Blocks%20for%20Mini%202008?sort=6&page=1

Here are some spec pics

It's not as hard to fab up as it looks. Even without a tablesaw, I was able to make mine using a circular saw, hand saw and some chisel/block plane work to clean up.

HTH

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Has anybody here used Harbor Freight's flare nut wrenches? Most of the reviews say that they explode trying to loosen bleeder screws and that I should probably spend double the money on a set of Kobalt wrenches.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I can't comment on HF in particular but cheap flare wrenches are absolutely one of the worst tools, you'd probably have more luck and end up with the same result trying to throw a pair of vice grips on there.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Cat Hatter posted:

Has anybody here used Harbor Freight's flare nut wrenches? Most of the reviews say that they explode trying to loosen bleeder screws and that I should probably spend double the money on a set of Kobalt wrenches.

They are indeed poo poo.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The reviews were scary enough that I didn't bother. A set of six Husky flare nut wrenches in both metric and inch at Home Depot is nearly as cheap, and they're solid.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I bought a set of the HF flares in SAE because they were on some crazy sale. I attacked a few pretty gnarly nuts and have had no issues so far. No rounded nuts, no explodey wrenches. Maybe I've just gotten lucky. I'm sure one will disintegrate in my hands at some point and I'll replace them with something else.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Tamir Lenk posted:

Sup Mini buddy?

Jacking up an old-school Mini can be a PITA. The best points are on the subframe, but the front crossbar is angled. THe rear subframe is pretty easy to work with.

For working under the front, however, fear not. Make yourself a jacking block.

:eyepop: Whaaaaat

I'll have to make myself one, I've just been using a 2x4 across the subframe or ramps.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Cat Hatter posted:

I can confirm the HF ones are loving garbage; unfortunately Craftsman/Husky/Kobalt didn't turn out any better when I needed flare wrenches. :(

This motherfucker, though:

is the ideal solution (unless the space is too cramped).

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I can confirm this, I recently replaced my brake hoses using one of these in place of a flare nut wrench.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Got my overalls. Really should have bought them Monday as they were almost out of the Large ones. For $13 I ain't gonna complain too much though.

Does anyone know if Harbor Freight has the same deals online when they do their Dollar Days sale? There's about 10 things I want from the ad and it would be so much easier to just have it shipped than to drive across town to find half of them out of stock.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Splizwarf posted:

I can confirm the HF ones are loving garbage; unfortunately Craftsman/Husky/Kobalt didn't turn out any better when I needed flare wrenches. :(

I love that wrench so much. It's big, heavy and everything a good tool should be. I wish they made smaller ones for tighter clearance.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Splizwarf posted:

I asked about these at my local hardware store. They had never heard of it before so I got one off Amazon it owns & gently caress local business.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

I have a set in SAE and Metric. I've never used them :v:

For the nightmare brake line job I'm 99% done with, I used a set of these. The flex heads get a bit annoying at times (like when you're trying to position it over a nut you can't see very well in a tight area and the loving head flops backwards instead of going on) but the job would have been virtually impossible without them. My truck is 10 years old, has 186k on it, and the underside looks like it has spent most of that time at the bottom of the ocean, but I was able to get every fitting out without rounding a single one off, fwiw.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Splizwarf posted:

drat it, I already have one of those and wanted an excuse to buy new tools. Maybe I'll get a set of line wrenches and return them when I don't need them.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Magic Cobalt drill review:

I should have checked the set when I bought it, I'm missing the 10mm I needed so those holes got hogged out with the 9.5mm. I've got a 13mm that wasn't supposed to be in the set though, so I emailed them.

These bits grind through steel quite easily but need a centre punch to get started or they skip all over the place. There were a few spots I had to drill that ended up being three thicknesses of steel, one about 7mm total. No bother. Nothing a good hss bit would have struggled with. Hex shanks on everything are a nice touch. They don't produce long strings of swarf, just small chips.

I'm also impressed with my ryobi cordless drill, didn't struggle with anything i used it for. I need a third battery so I can continue using both drill and vacuum when one goes flat though. And I had to buy a set of hole saws to make way for the crush tubes so I've an Erbauer set now.

The Carbon Tax
Sep 30, 2013

by XyloJW
I'd bet :10bux: that they are brazed carbide tipped (aka 'masonry drills') with a different grind and a mystery wonder coating (hence the 'cobalt'). If so they'd probably work quite well but the tip would be pretty fragile.

I've used a Bosch variant and it worked a treat until I tried enlarging a hole in steel using a hand drill from a bad angle - and chipped a good chunk of the head off.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'm spoiled working on a well-maintained car but I just did all new brake lines on my 325 and I just used regular wrenches. No problems at all. It helps that BMW brake lines tend to allow you to use a wrench on each side of the connection for better leverage.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Double-postin!

So I started feeling guilty about my air compressor since I haven't drained it like like 6+ months. Unbelievably not a single drop of water came out so that's quite a relief. Unfortunately the drain cock (hehe) o-ring died while I was tightening it back so I went ahead and drained the compressor until the replacement arrives. Then I noticed that the gauge was stuck at 60psi. So now I'm getting a new drain and a new gauge. Sigh.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Petcock.

(petcock)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I need a new drill set for around the house, and occasionally to work on my truck. I don't think I need anything too heavy duty, but I don't know what the more well-regarded ones are.

The last set of drills I had were these; should I just get these again or are there better deals around for similar drills?

I was looking at these Makita drills. Is there an appreciable difference for $20 less?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
I got that set of makitas about two months ago. So far I'm happy with them. The drill works great, no complaints. The impact driver struggles with wood screws over 2", but will drive 1/4" lag bolts into a piloted hole no problem.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

oxbrain posted:

I got that set of makitas about two months ago. So far I'm happy with them. The drill works great, no complaints. The impact driver struggles with wood screws over 2", but will drive 1/4" lag bolts into a piloted hole no problem.

Yeah if you need to drive anything larger than that, step up to the 18v LXT line. There is a much wider line of tools you can use with those batteries as well.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Can we just sticky our usual cordless tool chat?
18v Makita or Milwaukee if you are a heavy user. Brushless if you want the longest runtime and most performance (AKA, a Pro).
18v Ryobi if you aren't Ken and want yard tools, loads of selection, and care about price.
18v Bosch, Makita, or Fein$$$$ if you are in Europe.
There are people who love DeWalt or P-C or what have you, but they are the minority.

12v Milwaukee Fuel if you are a heavy small-fastener/workpiece user.
12v Bosch or Milwaukee if you are a homeowner who needs something that'll work reliably.
Anything else is asking for trouble.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
I've been using the 12V Makita combo at work for a couple of years now and no issues at all. The compact size is helpful inside vehicle interiors and they've been powerful enough for what I use them for.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sharkytm posted:

There are people who love DeWalt or P-C or what have you, but they are the minority.

I'm one of the people posting that I like my DeWalts, but I have a hard time recommending them to anyone these days as what they produce now is NOT what I have. You pretty much need to find them 8-10 years old or so.

I'm also pretty well locked into the system with the number of devices+batteries I have, so it's not much use changing up unless it's for something very specific that I can't get in that system or is vastly inferior.

If I were to start from scratch now I'd be getting all Makita stuff.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Things I need for my garage:

1. Impact gun
2. Angle grinder
3. Dremel

What would you guys recommend for each? I don't have a compressor so preferably corded. I'll be using these for automotive work, so basically cutting out bushing sleeves, strut towers for camber plates, etc. Nothing SUPER crazy but I don't want something that will burn out on me after an hour of burning through sheet steel.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Just swapped my single bulb light socket for an 8 foot four bulb fluorescent in the garage. Went from 1600 lumens to 11000. Light is a tool, right?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Just swapped my single bulb light socket for an 8 foot four bulb fluorescent in the garage. Went from 1600 lumens to 11000. Light is a tool, right?

Have you seen the pictures from my lighting upgrade? I went from three bare compact fluorescent bulbs plus one eight foot four bulb t8 to six eight foot, four bulb t8's on two switches. You are drat right light is a tool.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

sharkytm posted:

Have you seen the pictures from my lighting upgrade? I went from three bare compact fluorescent bulbs plus one eight foot four bulb t8 to six eight foot, four bulb t8's on two switches. You are drat right light is a tool.

:stare: Sweet jabbers. I don't have the space or wiring for that kind of setup, but it must be glorious.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Motronic posted:

I'm also pretty well locked into the system with the number of devices+batteries I have, so it's not much use changing up unless it's for something very specific that I can't get in that system or is vastly inferior.

The worst part about having a power tool collection. It's Mach 3 razors all over again.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Armchair Calvinist posted:

Things I need for my garage:

1. Impact gun
2. Angle grinder
3. Dremel

What would you guys recommend for each? I don't have a compressor so preferably corded. I'll be using these for automotive work, so basically cutting out bushing sleeves, strut towers for camber plates, etc. Nothing SUPER crazy but I don't want something that will burn out on me after an hour of burning through sheet steel.

I've used several DeWalt 4 1/2" angle grinders and they were all great. They were also all probably 7+ years old so I have no idea if their current ones are still good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
For angle grinders I buy the second cheapest one in the store. Its going to get a real workout but for £25 you replace them every year.