Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Hedrigall posted:

Hell yes, read The Icarus Hunt by Timothy Zahn, who's also known for writing the best (read: "only good") Star Wars novels. It's a standalone book about rogue space adventurers and a murder mystery on a spaceship. Tons of adventure and intrigue, hopping from spaceport to spaceport; and tons of cool aliens. It's the lightest fluff but I loved it.

I thought Stover was known for writing pretty solid Star Wars fiction, too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

InMyHighCastle posted:

I'm thinking of getting stuck into Mark Lawrence's latest novel, Prince of Fools; I'm a big fan of Joe Abercrombie's stuff, and I've heard that Lawrence's writing is similarly grim 'n gritty.

Is it worth picking up the Broken Empire trilogy, I've heard it received some very mixed reviews?

They're not great books exactly, but I found them all to be quite enjoyable reads. I would start with the Broken Empire trilogy before reading Prince of Fools, though. Fools works as a standalone but there is some crossover that's more enjoyable if you've read Broken Empire first.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Ornamented Death posted:

Since people are posting about ARCs they've gotten/are getting, I just found out I'll be getting one for Fool's Assassin.

You motherfucker.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆
I am cranky because I recently re-read Revelation Space, and then continued on with Redemption Ark and Absolution Gap. I have a short memory and forget book plots quickly, so I was happy that I enjoyed Revelation Space the second time around. The other two, though... what a mixed bag. The world-killing Conjoiner weapons teased so much in the first book accomplished gently caress-all against the Inhibitors. It felt like Reynolds had written himself into a corner with them, then downgraded their power to get out again. Absolution Gap had an intriguing setting that felt like it would be better off as a self-contained story, but it rejoins the main story and the ending is extremely unsatisfying. I'm pretty forgiving so long as my hard SF has plenty of hard in it, but I was disappointed by the trilogy overall. I still rate Diamond Dogs, Turquoise Days as one of the better shorter stories I've read, so it feels like Reynolds gets lost in novel-length stories. I'm torn about whether it's an editing issue or his writing style, because I feel like there's a really good novel to pull out of the concept of pilgrims staring intently at a planet waiting for it to do something magical. I feel like it might be both: his concepts could support long novels if they were written differently, but... they're not.

I also recently tried to read Stephen Baxter's Proxima, but I just couldn't muster any enthusiasm. Is it worth trying again? I like colonisation stories, but I just didn't feel engaged by the main character and I gave up when he woke up with years to go before reaching their destination.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm just about wrapping up Consider Phlebas. It's pretty good although dragged in a few spots. I definite feel like it could've been a quicker plot or just a shorter book.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Neurosis posted:

He is, yes. His Revenge of the Sith is far and away better than the film and actually feels like a heroic epic. Count Dooku is given characterization and his motives make sense. Grievous is a complete monster. Anakins fall makes sense. Obi wan feels like "Old Ben"

I basically clack out the film in my mind and go with the book instead.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Stover's Sith novelisation is pretty amazing, simply because he cuts out all the chaff and rewrites virtually all the dialogue and adjusts scenes here and there (such as the arrest of Palpatine).

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

Stover's Sith novelisation is pretty amazing, simply because he cuts out all the chaff and rewrites virtually all the dialogue and adjusts scenes here and there (such as the arrest of Palpatine).

It works because he changes everything?

I agree, it's just that what it comes down to. That and his use of prose really gives it all a sense of grandeur and importance that the film lacks. The Yoda Palpatine fight is a great example of that

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Fried Chicken posted:

It works because he changes everything?

The more time goes by, the more I wonder just how the hell George Lucas even managed to make the first trilogy as good as it was. Was he once a competent and imaginative writer/director, and then his talent fell down a mountain? Or did they succeed despite his mediocrity, simply because he'd happened to catch lightning in a bottle by creating such a worthwhile universe? And if the latter is true, then how could he have fumble-hosed the prequels so badly?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

mdemone posted:

The more time goes by, the more I wonder just how the hell George Lucas even managed to make the first trilogy as good as it was. Was he once a competent and imaginative writer/director, and then his talent fell down a mountain? Or did they succeed despite his mediocrity, simply because he'd happened to catch lightning in a bottle by creating such a worthwhile universe? And if the latter is true, then how could he have fumble-hosed the prequels so badly?

He was surrounded by people who were willing to tell him "that's dumb as gently caress George, do something else."

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

mdemone posted:

The first movie is an interesting mess, a combination of old and new Hollywood that shows Lucas' influences (Kurosawa samurai films, Buck Rogers serials, WWII dogfighting movies, Dambusters, the Searchers, etc.). The pacing is really weird and the dialogue is terrible and the cast is uneven and yet somehow it all works.

The second movie turned Star Wars from an interesting cultural one-shot into an ongoing force. It's a stone classic, but only because Lucas had so little to do with it. He had someone come up with the basic plot (Brackett), someone else wrote the script (Kasdan), and he hired Kershner to direct.

The third movie was a wreck, made out of mostly recycled material (back to Tatooine and Dagobah, restaging the cantina scene at Jabba's palace, oh hey look ANOTHER Death Star), cutesy dumbassery (midget teddy bears, and they wipe out Imperial Stormtroopers with stone age weapons), and a complete fizzle of the love triangle (turns out she's Luke's sister so everything is OK!) and unearned redemption (Luke says "I love you Dad" to Space Hitler and he gets to go to heaven!). Most of the problems people had with the prequels were clearly visible in the third movie.

Even in the original trilogy there's only one good movie, an it's the one Lucas had the least to do with. The first movie was, I think, a weird catch lightning in a bottle in the right place at the right time kind of thing. In the context of Lucas' career it looks increasingly like a fluke. A brilliant and influential fluke that made his fortune (and deservedly so), but still a fluke.

Anyway, Lucas' real masterpiece was his contribution to Raiders of the Lost Ark and Temple of Doom.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

I love Star Wars, I'm a huge nerd who can quote starship specs from memory and owned way more merch than was healthy

But Lucas' real contribution to film was turning around and ploughing all the money he made into ILM and THX. The advancements and breakthroughs he made there made so many other great films possible, and contributed more to art than the films he directly made.

But this is getting more CineD than books

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

mdemone posted:

American Graffiti is good - well, the first half is, I haven't seen the second.

FMguru posted:

He had someone come up with the basic plot (Brackett),

A nitpick to a good post, but Brackett wrote enough of the script to win a Hugo, even if her version wasn't the final one.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Neurosis posted:

Yes, but Stover's normal sci-fi/fantasy writing is substantially more grimdark than Star Wars and not fluffy at all. His poo poo will not be light and campy.

Squicky phrase from the Caine universe: the orcs will cut you open and gently caress the wound.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

I'm reading The Rook (pretty sure someone in here mentioned it), and enjoying it, but I've reached a point (maybe 66% through, or so) where it's getting a bit slap stick. It's a big enough departure that it almost feels like a different book.

It will be interesting to see if it turns around, or full on jumps the shark.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

ulmont posted:

Yes, but Stover's normal sci-fi/fantasy writing is substantially more grimdark than Star Wars and not fluffy at all. His poo poo will not be light and campy.

Squicky phrase from the Caine universe: the orcs will cut you open and gently caress the wound.

Yeah, I've read the Caine books. I liked them quite a bit although I thought the most recent one was a bit hard to follow. I mean, I got the general gist of what was happening but some of the specifics passed me by. Which is funny because I thought in the first couple of books the magical/metaphysical stuff was dealt with pretty well and followed fairly comprehensible logic. Black Knife was a bit jarring because of the narrative jump, and then Caine's Law was messy.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

holocaust bloopers posted:

I'm just about wrapping up Consider Phlebas. It's pretty good although dragged in a few spots. I definite feel like it could've been a quicker plot or just a shorter book.

It's always important to remember that Ian M. Banks writes shaggy dog stories, because the rest of his books are going to leave you feeling a bit like that.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Neurosis posted:

Yeah, I've read the Caine books. I liked them quite a bit although I thought the most recent one was a bit hard to follow. I mean, I got the general gist of what was happening but some of the specifics passed me by. Which is funny because I thought in the first couple of books the magical/metaphysical stuff was dealt with pretty well and followed fairly comprehensible logic. Black Knife was a bit jarring because of the narrative jump, and then Caine's Law was messy.

I had a ton of problems following Black Knife and haven't tried Caine's Law yet. I know he went through some bad times with knee issues, to the point of not being able to walk. I wonder if he was hopped up on meds or something.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

fez_machine posted:

It's always important to remember that Ian M. Banks writes shaggy dog stories, because the rest of his books are going to leave you feeling a bit like that.

I've read up to Use of Weapons and while I can sort of agree on the point that they drag a bit I'm curious what you mean by 'shaggy dog stories'? Just a description I haven't heard before.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I've read up to Use of Weapons and while I can sort of agree on the point that they drag a bit I'm curious what you mean by 'shaggy dog stories'? Just a description I haven't heard before.

Basically, all Iain M Banks books are similar to this:

(I've only read the first four so far but it definitely applies)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

quote:

In its original sense, a shaggy dog story is an extremely long-winded anecdote characterized by extensive narration of typically irrelevant incidents and terminated by an anticlimax or a pointless punchline.

Shaggy dog stories play upon the audience's preconceptions of joke-telling. The audience listens to the story with certain expectations, which are either simply not met or met in some entirely unexpected manner.[1] A lengthy shaggy dog story derives its humour from the fact that the joke-teller held the attention of the listeners for a long time (such jokes can take five minutes or more to tell) for no reason at all, as the end resolution is essentially meaningless.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaggy_dog_story

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Ok, yeah that was Use of Weapons in many ways. I enjoyed it but I was left vaguely unsatisfied by the ending. Player of Games had a bit of that as well.

E: these spoilers aren't for show, if you haven't read Use of Weapons don't read this.
Like, wtf, they go to all that trouble to get him, then he does what they ask, better than they expect, then for ~reasons~ the bad guys win anyways and he wanders the battlefield for some reason and gets shot a bunch then goes to meet his sister who's not his sister but is the sister of the guy he got to kill himself by sending a loving human chair made out of his other sister :barf: and then he maybe dies or doesn't and maybe they hire someone new or they don't.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It's almost like the story isn't a mechanistic device used to inform you of its own end state, but a work of art designed to evoke feelings and thoughts as you pass through it!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

General Battuta posted:

It's almost like the story isn't a mechanistic device used to inform you of its own end state, but a work of art designed to evoke feelings and thoughts as you pass through it!

yeah yeah yeah. How is Echopraxia? It would be a drat shame if your copy accidentally ended up in my hands before Augest 28th, make sure that doesn't happen

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

General Battuta posted:

:o this is genre fiction, son, get that outta here!

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

General Battuta posted:

I guess you missed the part where I said I enjoyed the book. The last literary fiction I read was in high school so I'm still working on acquiring a taste for it.

You have to admit that the ending (and other parts) could potentially feel confusing and unsatisfying to someone used to more standard Sci Fi fare.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Haha, sorry for being sarcastic. I like Banks a lot! At least he doesn't write pun stories. And I don't think Phlebas is a particularly strong selection of his work, though I think the ending is the right one for the story.

Fried Chicken posted:

yeah yeah yeah. How is Echopraxia? It would be a drat shame if your copy accidentally ended up in my hands before Augest 28th, make sure that doesn't happen

It's very heady. Don't expect the same clear, mission-driven narrative as Blindsight: the protagonist is a baseline human and spends a lot of time with no idea what the gently caress is going on. But it's full of fascinating ideas and it makes an interesting companion novel. And it is unmistakably Watts, and I really go for his style.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Just finished The Rhesus Chart.

Remember how I said I was bored by the status quo?

:stonk:

Glad to hear that the next book will be from Mo's perspective, with the next one being CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN (or something very close to it?). Now that Bob's literally the Eater of Souls, she's the closest thing to a normal protagonist the series has, and I can feel the end looming out of the dark but not quite there yet.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
The funny thing is, Mo's typically shuffled offscreen because she'd otherwise resolve Bob's conflicts before they have a chance to run their course. She'd otherwise be too powerful with that demon violin (although if I were her I'd start investing in more conventional, by Laundry standards, armaments). So it'd be interesting to see how the next book works out, because even with Bob's, er, unconventional dining habits, she's still the big guns of the family.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

General Battuta posted:

It's very heady. Don't expect the same clear, mission-driven narrative as Blindsight: the protagonist is a baseline human and spends a lot of time with no idea what the gently caress is going on. But it's full of fascinating ideas and it makes an interesting companion novel. And it is unmistakably Watts, and I really go for his style.

Not terribly surprising because if you read or watch anything by Watts outside of his fiction you quickly realise he's an ideas first, character/narrative second kind of sci fi writer. But he's good enough at writing to overlay some interesting characters and worldbuilding so it has never really grated on me, although I'm sure it does many people.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I've never read Cherryh. Cyteen or Downbelow Station first?

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Hedrigall posted:

I've never read Cherryh. Cyteen or Downbelow Station first?

Downbelow sets up the universe and the backstory, so I recommend reading it first.

On the other hand, some people thinks Downbelow is too heavy to begin with, and Cyteen can be read separately without problem.

Also, you could consider to read the Chanur series first. It's kinda lighter and although it happens in the same universe the story is 99% unrelated to the rest of the Alliance-Union storyline.

E: There is a CJ Cherryh thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3503946

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Mars4523 posted:

The funny thing is, Mo's typically shuffled offscreen because she'd otherwise resolve Bob's conflicts before they have a chance to run their course. She'd otherwise be too powerful with that demon violin (although if I were her I'd start investing in more conventional, by Laundry standards, armaments). So it'd be interesting to see how the next book works out, because even with Bob's, er, unconventional dining habits, she's still the big guns of the family.

Yeah, there's a reason that the book she is the star of is a superhero book.

It runs in parallel to The Rhesus Chart though, so we are going to have to wait for The Nightmare Stacks in 2016 to see the fallout of that ending.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Mars4523 posted:

The question is whether they are at the same "power level" now?
In the Rhesus Chart Angleton is talking about Bob and Mo with the head of External Assets, where they say that Mo is the most important one for the Laundry, but Bob has more potential. Since Bob now have become the Eater of Souls I guess they are similar in power level.

The worst death was Andy.

Also, The Causal Angel by Rajaniemi got sent yesterday and will hopefully arrive in my mail box today or tomorrow.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Cardiac posted:

The worst death was Andy.

That really upset me because I have always really liked that character. Then you get the next line and it gets even worse. he was the only one whose children were still kids

That whole scene was just brutal though. It reminded me of the reporting on columbine, the step by step walk through of a school shooting. It was absolutely intentional and works so well for what a nightmare outcome this was

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I'd be willing to argue that The Rhesus Chart is the strongest book in the series, to date.

Someone in this thread was complaining that Stross has been too busy working on other projects, like Merchant Princes: The Next Generation. I don't think that's true at all; we've been getting a book a year in the series, which is generally the most you can expect from any author - and the Laundry Files is the project that he likes to play hooky with from work on other books. It seems like it's his favorite project, and he's said that it seems to have "gone Discworld" on him. I think we have a lot to look forward to.

It sounds like Alex is the new Bob for purposes of Case Nightmare Green - a hapless hypochondriac EVE player who, yes, has an embarrassing hemoglobin addiction, but can do magic in his head without fear of K Syndrome. I can dig it. Just so long as he inherits some of Bob's sardonic attitude...

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Heh, that would be pretty fun.

I just want Mo around more. What good is writing an occult direct action operator into your series if you don't let her do anything, drat it? (Yeah she's getting a book, but that'd just be one of six).

And speaking of Stross and his other series, I really wish that he didn't discontinue writing his Eschaton series. Iron Sunrise did end on a cliffhanger, and I like Rachel and Martin far more than I do the cast of The Merchant Princes (not to mention that he went a little overboard with the "W Bush and Cheney are evil" anvils there.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Mars4523 posted:

I just want Mo around more. What good is writing an occult direct action operator into your series if you don't let her do anything, drat it? (Yeah she's getting a book, but that'd just be one of six).

Might not be the last. If it's "gone Discworld" as he says, then we might see Mo books, Alex books, and other perspectives yet to be imagined. Like how some of Pratchett's books deal with Vimes or the Lancre Witches or Moist von Lipwig, depending on what he's in the mood for.

quote:

And speaking of Stross and his other series, I really wish that he didn't discontinue writing his Eschaton series. Iron Sunrise did end on a cliffhanger, and I like Rachel and Martin far more than I do the cast of The Merchant Princes (not to mention that he went a little overboard with the "W Bush and Cheney are evil" anvils there.

You and me both, but I've gotten the impression he regards it as a childish fancy ( and that he basically can't take the idea of FTL seriously anymore at all).

But yeah. gently caress Merchant Princes.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

eriktown posted:

You and me both, but I've gotten the impression he regards it as a childish fancy ( and that he basically can't take the idea of FTL seriously anymore at all).

I think I read somewhere that he basically couldn't make the plots work any more given the scale things were having to happen on. It does kinda ruin other FTL space opera for a while after you read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

And someone over at the blog was spitballing a possibility and Stross confirmed it as the plot of book 8

Blackwater has basically the 40 years outdated anarchist cookbook of computational demonology, and highly trained highly professional highly paranoid highly violent barely trained sorcerers as a result. As CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN is going live they realize that they have an occult asset on the books and an occult threat to they can sell that asset as a counter to and then "take the idea to its logical conclusion"