Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Does activating the Chain Veil before any Planeswalker loyalty abilities have been used work? It seems like it should, since the phrasing seems to create a 'special' activation that remains active on them, that would still let you use a normal one.

So you could either do:

Elspeth +1
Chain Veil
Elspeth +1

or

Chain Veil
Elspeth +1
Elspeth +1

however, it seems like multiple chain activations would not stack with each other before clearing out the effect by 'using' the special activation, which would necessarily be the second activation of the planeswalker. So you could get some feelbads from doing some Ral-zarek untapping/chain veiling before using up the other planeswalker special activations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elspeth +1: 6-7
Chain Veil
Elspeth -7

Seems pretty awful.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Devor posted:

Does activating the Chain Veil before any Planeswalker loyalty abilities have been used work? It seems like it should, since the phrasing seems to create a 'special' activation that remains active on them, that would still let you use a normal one.

So you could either do:

Elspeth +1
Chain Veil
Elspeth +1

or

Chain Veil
Elspeth +1
Elspeth +1

however, it seems like multiple chain activations would not stack with each other before clearing out the effect by 'using' the special activation, which would necessarily be the second activation of the planeswalker. So you could get some feelbads from doing some Ral-zarek untapping/chain veiling before using up the other planeswalker special activations.

"For each planeswalker you control, you may activate one of its loyalty abilities once this turn as though none of its loyalty abilities had been activated this turn."

I think for each planeswalker it's creating a special activation you get to use once, at any point during the turn. So I think you have to use your "regular" activation before you use the special one, but you can use both after activating the Veil; you don't have to have used one before you use its ability.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Entropic posted:

Tokens are functionally a super type already, I'm not sure what the point of making it official would be. Wouldn't it mean rewording every token-making card ever to say "token creature" instead of "creature token"? And for what?

Token artifact.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

jscolon2.0 posted:

Token artifact.
To wit

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

How is this different from token creatures and how does writing token on it in the supertype spot actually change anything other than being a bit of reminder text?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

neetengie posted:

Chalice only counters stuff that gets cast, not copies, Ascension is not casting a spell, just placing a copy, and 1R is still 1R, even though Electromancer reduced the cost for you, the CMC is still 1R.

For the latter, I don't think it would work.

Yo, CMC is never color-distinguished.

The CMC of pyretic ritual would be 2.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Man I just want to play with the Kaboomist but it just feels so bad. :sigh:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Entropic posted:

How is this different from token creatures and how does writing token on it in the supertype spot actually change anything other than being a bit of reminder text?

Im not sure I get you. It's different from a token creature because it's an artifact and not a creature.

Token on there does appear to just be a bit of reminder text, though.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
Can you get double uses out of your land mines with the new red legendary?

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Vomax posted:

Can you get double uses out of your land mines with the new red legendary?
Negative, as the sacrifice is part of the cost.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

LightReaper posted:

The new red legendary guy, who can copy artifact activated abilities, can absolutely copy the land mine's activation.

And it seems like labeling them Token is to help the kitchen table crowd realize that these aren't spells.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

LightReaper posted:

You (generally) don't pay the cost of copied spells or abilities. Otherwise storm would never work :P There is probably some exception but I don't know of it.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

LightReaper posted:

Yes, you can. Once you successfully place the mine ability on the stack, the triggered ability of the Oggre will go ahead and kick off. You do not need to pay costs again for a copied spell, and so you do not need to sacrifice the mine again.

You are likely thinking about how you cannot copy a permanent if it has been scarified as part of a cost, which is correct, but in this case you are not copying the mine itself, you are copying the ability on the stack. It is also not being cast, it is simply placed on the stack.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Pretty sure this is Pulse Tracker sliver.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Bugsy posted:

Pretty sure this is sliver.

"Whenever a Sliver you control attacks, defending player loses 1 life."

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

Man I just want to play with the Kaboomist but it just feels so bad. :sigh:

fwiw I think if you're red in Limited anyway you play that guy.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

ScarletBrother posted:

"Whenever a Sliver you control attacks, defending player loses 1 life."

How sane. It should have been "Slivers you control have "Whenever a Sliver you control attacks, defending player loses 1 life."", to just be completely nuts. :v:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Chain Veil with Nissa and Ral Zarek goes infinite, taps all your opponents' permanents, and then gives you an army of 4/4 tramplers and an extra turn to use them. I'd absolutely love to see janky-as-hell RUG Superfriends do work in Standard.

Elyv posted:

fwiw I think if you're red in Limited anyway you play that guy.

I agree, I think the deciding factor is that you get at least 1 land mine even if you lose the first flip.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I like how spanish slivers are framentados

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

The Chain Veil with Nissa and Ral Zarek goes infinite, taps all your opponents' permanents, and then gives you an army of 4/4 tramplers and an extra turn to use them. I'd absolutely love to see janky-as-hell RUG Superfriends do work in Standard.

I agree, I think the deciding factor is that you get at least 1 land mine even if you lose the first flip.

Hey, you have a 1/32 chance of not getting any extra turns, assuming you don't run extra untap permanent effects aside from the single copy of Ral Zarek in play.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

They haven't put out the release notes yet, but Riki Hayashi seems pretty sure that its doesn't go infinite. https://twitter.com/mtgRikipedia/status/484208247210274816

What is infinite, is Sage of Hours + Ajani Mentor of Heros + Chain Veil.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
so they basically were bullshitting us when they said they were going back to the traditional sliver look then

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

A big flaming stink posted:

so they basically were bullshitting us when they said they were going back to the traditional sliver look then

They said they were going to do both or some other kind of bullshit half measure.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Serperoth posted:

How sane. It should have been "Slivers you control have "Whenever a Sliver you control attacks, defending player loses 1 life."", to just be completely nuts. :v:

Is this the first sliver that doesn't actually grant its ability to other slivers?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

jassi007 posted:

Is this the first sliver that doesn't actually grant its ability to other slivers?

Nope. Brood Sliver is the first one alphabetically to not do that.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

LordSaturn posted:

Nope. Brood Sliver is the first one alphabetically to not do that.

Cool. I'm not slivers guy, they're neat but I don't go gaga for them. Saprolings on the other hand, oh yeah baby fungus...

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

A big flaming stink posted:

Pretty that was just extrapolation people made with the sliver hive art.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Zoness posted:

Pretty that was just extrapolation people made with the sliver hive art.

No, Maro I think said it.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Yeah, I think if it only gets you one it's overcosted but not egregiously so, and if it gets you two you're happy with it, and anything extra is gravy.

(Also the expected number of Land mines is basically two per Kaboomist(it would be actually 2 but there are a finite number of turns in a Magic game; it's close enough that it doesn't matter, though))

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Doug Beyer said that they were going to 'compromise', essentially:

quote:

Based on player feedback, we generally pulled back from the M14 look and aimed the M15 slivers less humanoid and more bestial. But there’s individual variation. Some look entirely retro, as on M15’s Sliver Hive. Some are more humanoid, using the ”rearrangeable plates” concept from M14’s design. Some split the difference, lying somewhere between the M14 look and the old look, carving out some new space. You’ll see what I’m talking about when more of M15 has been previewed. But overall M15 represents a visual shift away from the look of M14’s slivers.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Goddammit, the new site's archive is garbage.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

That, plus the rest of it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Here's the sliver mention in Making Magic. Thanks to google.

quote:

So when the Slivers returned in Magic 2014 without a five-color Sliver, a lot of players wrote in asking where it was. In addition, R&D wanted to make sure the Sliver-lovers got a few new Slivers to add to their existing Sliver decks, so the Magic 2015 design team included an uncommon cycle plus a new five-color Sliver that Gavin Verhey will be previewing tomorrow.

Also, you'll notice that the Magic 2015 Slivers look a little more like the Slivers of Tempest, Onslaught, and Time Spiral. We got a lot of feedback on the look of the Slivers in Magic 2014 so the creative team opted to represent the Slivers a little more "old school."

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/days-core-part-2-2014-06-30

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Entropic posted:

Tokens are functionally a super type already, I'm not sure what the point of making it official would be. Wouldn't it mean rewording every token-making card ever to say "token creature" instead of "creature token"? And for what?

I think it's more a for-clarity's-sake change, riding the heels of Pack Rat. I've seen so many arguments about Pack Rat because it's both a token and a copy (usually stupid ones).

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Chain Veil + Ral Zarek + Xenagos, the Reveler w/4 creatures out = infinite Planeswalker activations?

Yeah I know it's a pretty lovely combo but at least with RZ's ultimate you can basically take infinite turns.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

qbert posted:

Chain Veil + Ral Zarek + Xenagos, the Reveler w/4 creatures out = infinite Planeswalker activations?

Yeah I know it's a pretty lovely combo but at least with RZ's ultimate you can basically take infinite turns.
Because of the "once" clause in the activated ability I'd lean towards there being no going infinite, but until we get release notes on it there's no way to really no way to know whether or not it can go infinite.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Snacksmaniac posted:

That, plus the rest of it.

I'm still baffled by the changes. Sure, the old site hadn't been updated in a long time but it wasn't like I looked at it and wondered how I stumbled onto a geocities page. I'm glad they went with 8am pacific over midnight pacific time for updates but I'd still rather have midnight eastern because I want my spoiler fix as early as possible. But everything else is the hottest garbage.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

It's probably not an infinite combo but three PW activations per turn is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

qbert posted:

I wouldn't call tapping down my opponents entire field then dropping an additional Satyr and swinging all in a completely lovely combo.

• Locked thread