Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Spicy Soba Noodles posted:

I just started working this week, no joke. I haven't even gotten my first paycheck. I don't even have the phone yet. I'm getting it on borrowed money from a trusted friend, who I was going to pay off bit by bit. I don't have a budget because I just got a steady job. Also, I have no idea how to make a budget. I figured I'd learn how when I started making money.

If a phone is your only monthly bill, I'm guessing you live at home. That's a good start.

Budgeting means "what monthly expenses will I have". Deduct your monthly expenses from your monthly pay, and that's your excess money. And you can use the excess money towards paying off your debt.

This is a simple budget calculator you can play around with:

http://www.youcandealwithit.com/borrowers/calculators-and-resources/calculators/budget-calculator.shtml

Let us know what your debts are on Credit Karma along with the interest rates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Spicy Soba Noodles posted:

I just started working this week, no joke. I haven't even gotten my first paycheck. I don't even have the phone yet. I'm getting it on borrowed money from a trusted friend, who I was going to pay off bit by bit. I don't have a budget because I just got a steady job. Also, I have no idea how to make a budget. I figured I'd learn how when I started making money.
Usually poors need budgets even more - why don't you have a budget? Jesus. Make one. There is a good thread here on it.

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006
26 year old male. I was in an auto accident early this year. As a result of this accident I will be receiving two payments:

$4000 for diminished value on my vehicle
$13,0000 for uninsured motorists coverage and medical bills
------------------
Total $17,000

I am wondering if I can get some advice on what to do with this money.

Currently I am employed as a software engineer making ~$90,000, in addition I have about $5,000 of self employment income.

My debts are as follows:
Student loan @6.8% $13,100.00
Auto loan @2.9% $13,000.00

I do not currently have an emergency fund as I have been aggressively paying back my student loans(~$1,500-$2000/month). Not necessarily worried about a lapse in employment, I work in a field where it is easy to find employment quickly. Obviously this is not a long term goal, only until all debts are paid. At this time I have only been contributing to a 401k for about 6 months.

Some options I was thinking about
------------------------------------
1. +Pay off student loans, pay remainder against auto loan
2. +Pay off student loan, contribute remainder to IRA
3. +Pay off student loan, put remainder into savings account
4. +other?
5. +Pay off nothing and buy lotto tickets

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Do you have medical bills that need to be paid, or did they just give you 13k that wasn't really necessary for bills?

Since you don't have an emergency fund, my vote would be for option 3. An IRA is nice and all, but you can start contributing once those student loans are paid off(and at 1500-2k a month, you should have no problem maxing it before the end of the year). I'll take a 6.8% guaranteed return any day of the week.

It's great that you aren't worried about a lapse in employment, but situations can change and a medical emergency that would keep you from working could theoretically chew through your short term disability leave, etc. so having an emergency fund would be a great idea.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 2, 2014

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

Do you have medical bills that need to be paid, or did they just give you 13k that wasn't really necessary for bills?

Since you don't have an emergency fund, my vote would be for option 3. An IRA is nice and all, but you can start contributing once those student loans are paid off(and at 1500-2k a month, you should have no problem maxing it before the end of the year). I'll take a 6.8% guaranteed return any day of the week.

It's great that you aren't worried about a lapse in employment, but situations can change and a medical emergency that would keep you from working could theoretically chew through your short term disability leave, etc. so having an emergency fund would be a great idea.

Luckily the health insurance company who had been picking up the tab wrote it off and I do not have a lean on my account. My lawyer confirmed that this is the case and I have a letter from insurance company. So I get to keep all the $ paid out from uninsured motorist claim($13,000).

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah wipe out the student loan and start on your emergency fund. After that's filled out you can decide if you want to hammer on that auto loan or start worrying more about your retirement investments with your future extra in your paychecks.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

DholmbladRU posted:

Luckily the health insurance company who had been picking up the tab wrote it off and I do not have a lean on my account. My lawyer confirmed that this is the case and I have a letter from insurance company. So I get to keep all the $ paid out from uninsured motorist claim($13,000).
How did you manage that?! You lucky guy! That's super rare, carriers want their money back. Lucky!

I'd set aside ~1mo of expenses and then knock out most of the student loan. Keep aggressively paying down debt. Once it's zero'd out, get that savings up to 3-6mo depending on your risk tolerance.

Nice work on the income and savings side of things. Compare that to SloMo, rofl.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

SiGmA_X posted:

I'd set aside ~1mo of expenses and then knock out most of the student loan. Keep aggressively paying down debt. Once it's zero'd out, get that savings up to 3-6mo depending on your risk tolerance.

He's got 17k and the student loan is 13k - considering he has been paying down up to 2k a month on the student loan, I think he can pay off the student loan entirely and still have a couple months' worth to put into his new emergency fund.

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006

SiGmA_X posted:

How did you manage that?! You lucky guy! That's super rare, carriers want their money back. Lucky!

Nice work on the income and savings side of things. Compare that to SloMo, rofl.

When someone is in an auto accident a lot of times their health insurance provider will pick up at least a portion of the bill. In some states there is no subrogation and you would not need to pay back health insurance company. The state I live in however has subrogation. Luckily the health insurance company said dont worry about it and just ate the cost, maybe because it was only $6,000 in medical costs I don't know.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
How do y'all know if you can afford something?

I know that sounds like a stupid question. But I'm doing OK financially, at the moment, and I want to buy a new motorcycle (which I'm aware is the financial equivalent to setting fire to a pile of money) after having some bad experiences with used bikes.

I'm 28, grossing ~$85k/yr. No debt.

Expenses:
$1,000/mo rent+utilities
$330/mo car lease payment, 18 months remaining - insurance is paid for by girlfriend, no gas since it's an electric car, no maintenance as it's under warranty
$400/mo groceries - I like the good stuff
$300/mo eating out
$500/mo shopping, gifts, entertainment, misc.
$1220/mo - ESPP deferral (savings)
$370 + 220 = 590/mo retirement savings with match

Assets:
Cash (to be invested in a Vanguard fund shortly) - $10k (6 months of ESPP deferral)
Roth 401(k) - $6k

Seeing this picture of my financial health, how incredibly retarded would it be to get a new bike?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I had a long reply typed out discussing "Can I afford it" vs "Can I afford the payment" but in reality this is all I need to post:

Radbot posted:

incredibly retarded

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Especially with a $330 car lease payment already :drat:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Radbot posted:

I know that sounds like a stupid question. But I'm doing OK financially, at the moment, and I want to buy a new motorcycle (which I'm aware is the financial equivalent to setting fire to a pile of money) after having some bad experiences with used bikes.

Expenses:
$1,000/mo rent+utilities
$330/mo car lease payment, 18 months remaining - insurance is paid for by girlfriend, no gas since it's an electric car, no maintenance as it's under warranty
$300/mo eating out

Assets:
Cash (to be invested in a Vanguard fund shortly) - $10k (6 months of ESPP deferral)
Roth 401(k) - $6k

Seeing this picture of my financial health, how incredibly retarded would it be to get a new bike?
Those numbers you posted only add up to $4340/month. Even if your effective income tax rate is 25% you should have another grand each month. Where is it going?

More importantly, spending that much money on a hobby when you have no real emergency fund (since the 10k is going to stocks soon right?) seems like a bad idea. I'd say at least wait until you have a real emergency fund (which I guess means you could just leave the current 10k in cash, and just invest further savings into stocks). I mean, financially it'd still be a bad idea, but mostly in the sense that any hobby that costs several thousand dollars up front is financially a bad idea.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Nothing wrong with used motorcycles just like, get it checked out by a mechanic first.

What was the bad experience?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
The benefits of my HSA are just now dawning on me, but I unfortunately set my contribution this year at $1250 ($750 from me, $500 from employer). It's too late to change my contributions since I can only do it once a year; would it be dumb of me to deposit additional funds from my checking to get it up to the annual max? I'd like to get it at a point where I can have some of the funds invested. I'm assuming there's no tax benefit whatsoever, since at this point my contribution is below-the-line and I'm not going to be able to claim it as a deduction, since I don't really have any deductions otherwise and anything I'd contribute will be lower than my standard deduction. 401k, Roth IRA, ESPP are already maxed out, so those options are taken care of. Thoughts?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I'm pretty sure you don't need to itemize deductions for HSA but you would have to file an additional form where you report the extra contributions. But IANAA.

edit: even if you have to itemize, keep in mind state income taxes are a deduction. Most people don't think of that one. So if you were going to put in an extra 2k and you paid a few thousand in state taxes, you can itemize and get the full benefit.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 2, 2014

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I would just wait until the enrollment period for the HSA. Most HSAs have poor investment options anyway.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Post-paycheck HSA contributions are tax deductible when you file your taxes. You just lose the benefit of not paying FICA taxes like when you do a paycheck deduction. It's an above-the-line deduction on your 1040, it's trivial.

For whatever dumb reason my employer is not set up to do paycheck deductions for HSA contributions, so I've just made a lump sum, post-paycheck, post-tax contribution every year for the past couple of years and take the deduction when I do my taxes. It's a substantial deduction if you max it out.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Interesting. So the fact that my standard deduction will exceed that contribution amount is irrelevant (i.e. I can deduct it regardless)? If so I'll contribute immediately. Thank you for the help!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

illcendiary posted:

Interesting. So the fact that my standard deduction will exceed that contribution amount is irrelevant (i.e. I can deduct it regardless)? If so I'll contribute immediately. Thank you for the help!

Even if not, as I put in an edit above, unless you live in FL or something you can deduct state income taxes if you itemize. That plus your after-paycheck contribution ought to pass the standard deduction amount.

Crabby Abby
Apr 26, 2006

I'm the graph in the OP

illcendiary posted:

HSA contributions reduce your gross income to arrive at adjusted gross income (they're "above the line"). Standard/itemized deductions are below the line. They reduce your AGI to arrive at taxable income. So it doesn't matter whether you itemize or not: HSA contributions will have already reduced your AGI either way.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Nail Rat posted:

He's got 17k and the student loan is 13k - considering he has been paying down up to 2k a month on the student loan, I think he can pay off the student loan entirely and still have a couple months' worth to put into his new emergency fund.
Yeah, good point. Gitrdone.

DholmbladRU posted:

When someone is in an auto accident a lot of times their health insurance provider will pick up at least a portion of the bill. In some states there is no subrogation and you would not need to pay back health insurance company. The state I live in however has subrogation. Luckily the health insurance company said dont worry about it and just ate the cost, maybe because it was only $6,000 in medical costs I don't know.
Ah, yeah, my state has subrogation too. I thought they all would. Then again, my costs were always in the many tens of thousands when that happened...

Radbot posted:

Expenses:
$330/mo car lease payment

a) Lease = DEBT.
b) Pay off the lease first.
c) Then buy the new bike with cash.
d) How much is in your 401k and are you maxing your Roth annually? With your income, you should be.

Nail Rat posted:

I'm pretty sure you don't need to itemize deductions for HSA but you would have to file an additional form where you report the extra contributions. But IANAA.

edit: even if you have to itemize, keep in mind state income taxes are a deduction. Most people don't think of that one. So if you were going to put in an extra 2k and you paid a few thousand in state taxes, you can itemize and get the full benefit.
Do not have to itemize, do have to file the form. NBD.

Crabby Abby posted:

HSA contributions reduce your gross income to arrive at adjusted gross income (they're "above the line"). Standard/itemized deductions are below the line. They reduce your AGI to arrive at taxable income. So it doesn't matter whether you itemize or not: HSA contributions will have already reduced your AGI either way.
Exactly.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Nail Rat posted:

Especially with a $330 car lease payment already :drat:

What's :drat: about having all of your car expenses equal $330/mo on an $85k gross salary? I honestly don't feel at all bad about this, considering my housing expenses.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Nothing wrong with used motorcycles just like, get it checked out by a mechanic first.

What was the bad experience?

The shocks blew on my mechanic-checked 1980 motorcycle on the freeway, and almost killed me and my girlfriend. I'm done with used bikes, rational or not.

Cicero posted:

Those numbers you posted only add up to $4340/month. Even if your effective income tax rate is 25% you should have another grand each month. Where is it going?

More importantly, spending that much money on a hobby when you have no real emergency fund (since the 10k is going to stocks soon right?) seems like a bad idea. I'd say at least wait until you have a real emergency fund (which I guess means you could just leave the current 10k in cash, and just invest further savings into stocks). I mean, financially it'd still be a bad idea, but mostly in the sense that any hobby that costs several thousand dollars up front is financially a bad idea.

The $10k is my emergency fund - I'm not a proponent of idle cash when I can liquidate stocks within a week and have plenty of revolving credit with no debt.

Is the general opinion here that any expensive hobby isn't worth doing? Just want to make sure I'm talking to an audience I can relate to. Let's say I purchase the motorcycle in ~October when I'll have the cash to buy it outright - what then?

Radbot fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 2, 2014

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

quote:

Is the general opinion here that any expensive hobby isn't worth doing?
It really comes down to how good with money you want to be. The "really good with money" answer would be to make sure you have a sizable emergency fund, enough money to max out your 401k and IRA, and also saving enough for major life expenses you may be interested in like a house, and then if you still have enough money after that to afford your expensive hobby, sure, do it.

Just be sure you know how much it's going to cost. Beyond the upfront price of the bike itself, there are the ongoing costs of insurance, maintenance, repairs, and gas. If you calculate those out and are comfortable with them, go for it.

edit: for what it's worth, I think saving up the cash to buy the bike is a much better idea than getting a loan for it. Getting a loan for a hobby just sounds kind of bizarre to me.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
You are paying interest on that car and are locked into the contract, just like with a loan, which is why people are calling you out on the "no debt" thing. Whether the $330/mo automotive commitment is reasonable is a whole different issue. My opinion is it could be reasonable if you knew what the gently caress you were doing but I am not sure. What's the interest rate on the lease?

To answer your original question, you can afford an expensive hobby when you have the money to pay for it without compromising your short- or long-term financial stability. Right now you have inflexible commitments of about $2000 per month, a roughly 5-month emergency fund, and you are under-funding your retirement savings. Once you get the retirement savings up (max the Roth IRA every year), then use the rest of your $$ to save up for the bike. And yeah, don't forget the cost is more than the purchase price.

The stock market is a bad place for your emergency fund because when we have another 2008 it may shrink by half right when you need it the most. Keeping some cash around is how you avoid bullshit like having to move back in with your parents because your sweet tech job disappears, or whatnot.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Radbot posted:

Your financial details aside, don't buy a new bike unless you have cash. Bike loans equate to nonconsensual intercourse and bike worth drops like a rock. I know you said you had bad luck used in the past, but there is no reason you can't find a decent ride at a decent price, especially with the help of cycle asylum.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Radbot posted:

Assets:
Roth 401(k) - $6k

I don't get it. Given your income, why do you only have 16 grand in savings?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Radbot posted:

What's :drat: about having all of your car expenses equal $330/mo on an $85k gross salary? I honestly don't feel at all bad about this, considering my housing expenses.

The shocks blew on my mechanic-checked 1980 motorcycle on the freeway, and almost killed me and my girlfriend. I'm done with used bikes, rational or not.

The $10k is my emergency fund - I'm not a proponent of idle cash when I can liquidate stocks within a week and have plenty of revolving credit with no debt.

Is the general opinion here that any expensive hobby isn't worth doing? Just want to make sure I'm talking to an audience I can relate to. Let's say I purchase the motorcycle in ~October when I'll have the cash to buy it outright - what then?
I feel buying it with cash is fine. But you considering your car LEASE not being debt is massively foolish... Otherwise, keep on the good work.

Also, count the residual on the lease as part of your debt.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Appreciate the honest responses, fellas. Looks like I'll be waiting until next season at least.

kansas
Dec 3, 2012

Radbot posted:

Expenses:
$1,000/mo rent+utilities
$300/mo eating out

Assets:
Roth 401(k) - $6k

Did you recently achieve this high income, or has it been high for a while? If you've had a high income for a while I'd say you are probably very poor with money to only have a grand total of ~$16k saved up. Where in the hell has the other money gone?

Now if you just got this job or just finished paying back $100k in student loans you've demonstrated you're used to living on that budget I think a motorcycle is more realistic although I would still caution waiting for a bit more of a cash buffer.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I've had the job for about a year now and paid back about $12k in credit cars debt accumulated during unemployment.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Radbot posted:

You need to understand that there are more than 2 choices here. A 35 year old bike versus a new one is going to always favor the new one for safety, but you could look for a 4-5 year old lightly-ridden and maintained bike.

Don't make a false dichotomy in your mind so that the choice always lines up with what you want, make your decisions based on what you can afford.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Yeah, I've tried that route too, only to have to crack the engine case to repair the stator after a dead battery left me stranded in an area without cellphone coverage. Walking along the road to find cellphone coverage sucks.

I'd rather wait and save up enough for a bike where at least I'll have some recourse if it breaks. Plus, the bike I'm looking at is like $8k, I should be able to afford that in cash next year even after continuing to bulk up my retirement and personal investment accounts.

And my fault on not listing the lease as debt. Its a 2 year lease on a Nissan Leaf, I paid nothing up front, and I got my registration fees paid for by a state tax break. I did my research on money factors, residuals, etc. and I'm confident I got a decent deal.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 3, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
You're paying $7920 to use a Nissan Leaf for two years. MSRP on that car is $21,480.

What are you going to get next? :allears:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought the only reason people leased Nissan Leaf's was because state tax credits for electric cars eat the entire cost of the lease, and it comes out close to free. That's why there's like a 3-year waiting list for them.

I'm guessing you live in a state that doesn't have that tax credit.

EDIT: A list of all the incentives for electric vehicles by state is here:
http://www.ncsl.org/research/energy/state-electric-vehicle-incentives-state-chart.aspx

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 3, 2014

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

FrozenVent posted:

You're paying $7920 to use a Nissan Leaf for two years. MSRP on that car is $21,480.

What are you going to get next? :allears:

For that kind of coin, he could have bought my car one and a half times. :monocle:
And he'd have something to drive after two years and one day.

I bought a five year old Honda Shadow for $2500 and rode it daily for two years. I sold it for $2500 when I was done. Besides tires/oil, the only repair I had to do was a leaking coolant pipe for like $100.
You need to start buying better motorcycles.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Radbot posted:

Yeah, I've tried that route too, only to have to crack the engine case to repair the stator after a dead battery left me stranded in an area without cellphone coverage. Walking along the road to find cellphone coverage sucks.

I'd rather wait and save up enough for a bike where at least I'll have some recourse if it breaks. Plus, the bike I'm looking at is like $8k, I should be able to afford that in cash next year even after continuing to bulk up my retirement and personal investment accounts.

And my fault on not listing the lease as debt. Its a 2 year lease on a Nissan Leaf, I paid nothing up front, and I got my registration fees paid for by a state tax break. I did my research on money factors, residuals, etc. and I'm confident I got a decent deal.

Batteries fail on new vehicles as well. My MIL had her battery die in her brand new CRV less than 5 months in, during a snowstorm in Ohio.

Motorcycles are a hobby, and hobbies tend to be expensive. A brand new bike will be a used bike as soon as you drive it off the lot. Don't forget that it costs a lot more than just $8,000 when you factor in registration, insurance, maintenance, and fuel.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Yeah, it's true when you choose the base model (not what I have) and don't include taxes, registration, fees, etc. in the amount (which I have in my monthly total), it doesn't look great. It also doesn't seem great when you're not factoring in ~$125/mo in gas savings (over my old '04 Corolla @ ~36mpg), making the effective cost around $207/mo. What makes this car a particularly bad lease deal?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It's not the car, it's the lease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

FrozenVent posted:

It's not the car, it's the lease.

Meh, I guess I didn't feel it was a financially prudent decision to purchase a vehicle that has such uncertain residual value. Who knows what it would be worth in 5-7 years? Is it wrong that I feel totally OK with paying $7/day on all car expenses while grossing $85k a year?

It's totally OK if I'm talking with the kind of PF folks who would never buy a new car or have any stupid expensive hobbies, maybe we've just got different priorities. Not to say yours won't serve you well in the future.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 3, 2014