Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
Isn't it possible that Snyder just thought he laid it on too thick in the original version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

d00gZ posted:

Isn't it possible that Snyder just thought he laid it on too thick in the original version?

I would say that is possible if the changes portrayed the same basic idea but toned down but it really looks like generic dialogue replacing the existing dialogue.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

d00gZ posted:

The only way that concept even worked is by laying it on thick. Most of the tie-ins were garbage save for Batman & Robin which leaned super hard into the creepy, faceless, joker angle. Even under normal circumstances do you think Joker should be a subtle villain?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

E the Shaggy posted:

Having listened to him on a podcast or two, Snyder seems to be his own worst enemy and is really self deprecating (like he keeps referencing how DC is going to fire him at some point and he's trying to get as many Batman stories out as he can before that happens).

I'd imagine he just eats every bowl of poo poo they toss his way.

This is really surprising considering that his stories sell like gangbusters and he's pretty much running the bat-office now. Speaking of the bat office it seems that RHATO despite being part of the Batman line of books is being edited by the Superman family editors :psyduck:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

This is really surprising considering that his stories sell like gangbusters and he's pretty much running the bat-office now. Speaking of the bat office it seems that RHATO despite being part of the Batman line of books is being edited by the Superman family editors :psyduck:

On one podcast I heard, he talked about being diagnosed with OCD at a young age. I think that might cause him to really excessively agonize over writing Batman, and it apparently really hosed with his head when DC told him he had to write a New 52 origin arc for Batman. I like what I've read from him (Dark Mirror, Court of Owls, and Death of the Family) for the most part. Sometimes they veer too hard into edgy territory, but his internal monologues for Batman are always really nice. I'm waiting for all of Zero Year to get collected before I read it, but it seems pretty cool that he's trying to bring modern day NYC into it the way Miller brought '80s NYC into Year One.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

MeatwadIsGod posted:

On one podcast I heard, he talked about being diagnosed with OCD at a young age. I think that might cause him to really excessively agonize over writing Batman, and it apparently really hosed with his head when DC told him he had to write a New 52 origin arc for Batman. I like what I've read from him (Dark Mirror, Court of Owls, and Death of the Family) for the most part. Sometimes they veer too hard into edgy territory, but his internal monologues for Batman are always really nice. I'm waiting for all of Zero Year to get collected before I read it, but it seems pretty cool that he's trying to bring modern day NYC into it the way Miller brought '80s NYC into Year One.

I think Zero Year is going to be the Batman story Snyder is remembered for.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

From today's Eternal, I guess we've found out who the silhouette in the Batman 28 flash forward was. Carrie Kelley has to be completely out of the picture now, unless Bruce's teen girl squad can be four members large. Sorry Tomasi :(

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
I love Alfred's reaction face so much.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

d00gZ posted:

I love Alfred's reaction face so much.

Yeah.

I think March would be pretty well respected if he wasn't so into boobs and butts.

e:
I loved his skies in the last issue.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 4, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Is Julia Pennyworth a new character or one really dark and nearly forgotten one?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is Julia Pennyworth a new character or one really dark and nearly forgotten one?

Forgotten. Around Pre-Crisis, never brought up again. She was Alfred's long lost daughter.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yeah.

I think March would be pretty well respected if he wasn't so into boobs and butts.

e:
I loved his skies in the last issue.

Skies are great, and I love less-sexy March but Batman's chest in that second panel is off the charts there. His figure wouldnt' be a V, it'd be a Y.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Senor Candle posted:

I think Zero Year is going to be the Batman story Snyder is remembered for.

I've fallen off the wagon on N52 Batman. Is this a good thing or no, because His Detective comics run is really hard to top.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

I've fallen off the wagon on N52 Batman. Is this a good thing or no, because His Detective comics run is really hard to top.

It's been very good. TBH I was pretty neutral on Court of the Owls and didn't like Death of the Family, but he really turned it around with Zero Year. Also I might be too optimistic that this will overshadow the story where the Joker cut off and reattached his own face but who knows.

I like the Black Mirror stuff but I had almost forgotten about it when I posted that.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 5, 2014

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

MeatwadIsGod posted:

On one podcast I heard, he talked about being diagnosed with OCD at a young age. I think that might cause him to really excessively agonize over writing Batman, and it apparently really hosed with his head when DC told him he had to write a New 52 origin arc for Batman.

If this is the case, he's got my sympathy. As a fellow OCD sufferer, even doing basic poo poo at my job sometimes requires a huge inner monologue about how I won't gently caress things up and even if I do it'll be okay in order for me to get through it. I can't imagine working a high stress job where I'd be judged monthly by a hundred thousand people, some of whom would proceed to viciously tear into me publicly over not remembering minor details in comics I'd never read that were published 50 years ago.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I honestly can't imagine how loving awful it must be for any creator in the day and age of the internet unless you just avoid all forms of public internet content.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

ImpAtom posted:

I honestly can't imagine how loving awful it must be for any creator in the day and age of the internet unless you just avoid all forms of public internet content.

Apparently, a lot of the internet hate got to Snyder pre-Zero Year until a friend gave him all the letters to the editor from people who were so livid with what Frank Miller did in Year One (portraying Gordon as an adulterer) that they were going to stop buying DC comics entirely. Since just about everyone would put Year One in their top 5 Batman stories, I think that helped him realize that backlash is inevitable and just to shrug it off. I heard the best summation of it here - no matter how much you like something, someone on the internet hates you for liking it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: There is something pretty lame in making someone scary through threat of homosexuality, but all of the dynamic is gone now, replaced by nothing.
I don't think that the Joker's flirting was about any gay panic. It positions Joker as an interloper in Batman's family. Bruce has surrogate parents, surrogate and real children, and you can even argue surrogate brothers and sisters (The Justice League). He's created this family unit for himself missing an obvious component: A romantic partner. The Joker is sliding into that position and taking his place as Batman's lover. And he appropriates some of the uniqueness of the romantic partner. Your wife, husband, or otherwise longterm partner is a family member you choose. It's a choice based on love, but also something more selfish, often loving. The romantic partner is positioned differently than other family members and the Joker plays on that. He argues that the Bat-Family is a burden. His children make him soft and his brothers and sisters can't compare to him. It's only his lover who really makes him feel alive. He's not threatening Batman with loving. He's saying the poo poo they're doing right now, the poo poo they always do, is loving. The Joker could be replaced with a woman or a genderless Clown-themed space alien and the sentiment would be as equally hosed.

Still don't like that arc.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 6, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Good job Eternal on being the first book to made me break my streak of buying a book just for Jason Todd, you're retreading the same bullshit made Jason stagnant on the old DCU :thumbsup:

Going to give Seeley's a chance to make me change my mind but I'm not too hopeful.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Cracks are forming.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Batman '43 was a nice touch in the latest '66 but drat, Bruce needs to shore up Wayne Manor, that's what? The third break-in in as many months?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Batman Eternal #11 is probably the most Morrisoniest non Morrison Batman story you will see. If people were a fan of Batman Inc, especially with Burnam's artwork I suggest picking it up. The artwork is great and weird in it's own right and while it probably won't work for all (especially if you don't like lumpy characters) it is a pretty sweet change from the house style. The storyline itself seems to be in the filler stage without really moving the story forward too much. The thing about weeklies is that the probably read a lot better in trade form where the bigger picture can be seen, instead of weekly installments.
As for Batman and ?, well Ra's got a rightful beat down. So there was that.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

drat, Snyder can do no wrong right now.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

wiegieman posted:

Let's not get crazy here.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

wiegieman posted:

Don't read Superman Unchained.

Yeah. Good Batman week.
As well as Eternally being fun as hell and looking crazy, Gleason drew the gently caress out of Batman and ___ this week, and the Robin Rises event is gonna be all up in Fourth World stuff? Neat.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

In the right thread and away from Finch stank DC announced two sure to be great Batman books.

quote:

Welcome to GOTHAM ACADEMY! Gotham City’s most prestigious prep school is a very weird place. It’s got a spooky campus, oddball teachers, and rich benefactors always dropping by...like that weirdo Bruce Wayne. But nothing is as strange as the students!
Like, what's up with Olive Silverlock? Is she crazy or what? Where did she go last summer? And what's the deal with her creepy mom? And how come that Freshman MAPS is always following her around? Is she still going out with Kyle? P.S. did you hear the rumor about the ghost in the North Hall?

GOTHAM ACADEMY, written by Eister-Award-nominated Becky Cloonan (DEMO) along with Brenden Fletcher and illustrated by Karl Kerschl, arrives on October 1st. It’s a new, monthly teen drama set in the shadow of Batman and the craziness of Gotham City with new characters and old plus a secret tie to Gotham's past...

And Arkham’s madness comes home in ARKHAM MANOR! A bold new series brought to you by the mad minds of Gerry Duggan (Deadpool, Nova) and Shawn Crystal (Deadpool, Wolverine and the X-Men). When catastrophe strikes Arkham Asylum, where will Gotham City house the world’s most dangerous criminals, and when inmates are found murdered, what is Batman prepared to do in search of justice? ARKHAM MANOR arrives on October 22nd.

source

Arkham Manor should be good, Duggan has been kind of killing it for a while now but Gotham Acadamy has a murderer's row of great talent doing a fresh story in the Batman world. Cloonan themselves would make the book worth buying but throwing Karl Kerschl on top of it is even better (and surprising).

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mark Doyle rules, I assume.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Man I hope it's not just Marc Doyle (as good as he can be) or the line is probably hosed as soon as he finishes up with DC.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I dunno where to find Snyder's tweets where he was teasing this about a month ago, but I think he only acknowledged Doyle.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jul 1, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
How many places can they turn into Arkham? First an Asylum, then a City, now a House? This is going to become like Attack on Titan where Gotham is walled off from Arkham World.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/07/01/jiro-kuwatas-batmanga-comes-to-dc-digital/

On July 5th the 60's Batman manga is coming out as a $0.99 digital weekly :D

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 1, 2014

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Gotham Academy looks like my jam.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Man, Gotham Academy looks really interesting and I look forward to buying all ten issues before it gets canned.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Teenage Fansub posted:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/07/01/jiro-kuwatas-batmanga-comes-to-dc-digital/

On July 5th the 60's Batman manga is coming out as a $0.99 digital weekly :D

drat right I'll buy some Batman Manga and more Lord Death Head.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

TwoPair posted:

Man, Gotham Academy looks really interesting and I look forward to buying all ten issues before it gets canned.

It will either get canned or get a creative overhaul when the people in charge decide that they don't like the light-hearted tone of the book and decide the creators off the book and replace them with someone to make it more "edgey and dark".

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
It seems to have a better lifespan than Arkham Manor at least.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Can't we just look forward to some great news? :)

Though, yeah. I'm assuming Bruce'll want his house back some time within a year.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Welp

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

im super pumped as gently caress for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.